[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

I've been shooting on a Canon 5DIV for the past few years. My shutter has been sticking and instead of sending it back, figure it's time to upgrade. Before this I was a Nikon shooter with the D700/D750/D800 and really liked it but switched to Canon mainly due to the f1.2 lenses and much better customer service in my country.

I rented an R5 and R6II and they were nice enough with the pro zooms and the 50 1.2 but after trying the Z8 and the small 1.8 primes, I really was reminded of what I missed about Nikon. AF was better, the camera bodies felt better and more "rugged", DR was better but in fairness comparing to a previous gen Canon R5. One thing I hated though was how hyuge the Nikon 50 1.2 was- and that's my go-to lens in any system.

Is Nikon doing better now as a company in listening to their customers than they did during the DSLR days? I think I read they were overtaken by Snoy so it must be a kick to the nuts to be #3 now.
>>
Nikon is for discerning intellectuals but lacks the sports/video features and support contracts the hordes of associated press snapshitters crave except for like two bodies that fall behind in noise.

Canon is the microsoft office of cameras more now than ever
>>
>>4299477
tbf with the Z8/9, the video is up to par with Snoy and Canon
>>
>>4299477
It's all the same shit nowadays. It's the lenses and the quality of them that sets each company apart.
>>
>>4299475
Fwiw, I’m using the Sony 50 1.2 GM with my Z9 via the Megadap adapter, and it’s totally seamless, acts just like a native lens. Much smaller than the equivalent Nikkor, excellent optically. Very happy with it.
>>
They're good now IMO. It took them a while to get rolling with the new mount and mirrorless in general but I think they're a solid choice.
Also, I mainly bought into the system because of the lenses.
>>
>>4299546
>It's the same shit
Its really not
Canon forces shadow NR because of the design copes of making cameras that fast, and sony has their own technical problems of their own making. Nikon used to be bottom dog technically which is why they made this oversized stupid shallow lens mount and let video get cucked in the name of dynamic range.
>>
>>4299569
>Nikon used to be bottom dog technically which is why they made this oversized stupid shallow lens mount and let video get cucked in the name of dynamic range.

Can you elaborate pls? genuinely curious about the video cucking part too.
>>
>>4299627
>Nikon buys RED
>to cuck their video
>>
>>4299475
they're great now but took a while to catch up. People that moved on to Sony and Canon won't likely switch back to Nikon though and they'll keep staying in 3rd place.
>>
>>4299627
The Z6II and Z7II are excellent general/landscape photography cameras especially for the price (third cheapest) but were godawful video cameras, but the more newer and expensive zf/z8/z9 are excellent video cameras, albeit one has shit ergos and the other two have less dynamic range

It's actually a pretty balanced lineup desu but these days people who do not need anything more than sooc 1080p are flipping their lid about rolling shutter and log gammas
>>
>>4299627
Not sure what they mean. The Z6 was an excellent video camera from the outset — with the caveat that you need a monitor to get 10-12bit footage, and if you want 12mo ProRes raw, you need to send it in to Nikon for a $200 upgrade because of licensing costs or whatever.

Very happy with the Z series video performance. Just shot a doc style award video in 10bit 4K30 h265 nLog on the Z9, Z6 was paired with a Ninja V+ capturing in 10bit 4k30 h265 nLog as well… the Ninja files are like twice the size.
>>
>>4299652
It was a sufficient video camera for anyone who actually shoots video, but we're talking the wider market here, they get angry at 4k120 being cropped and freak out over open gate because of their chinese anamorphics thus panasonic still has customers and will so long as youtube exists
>>
>>4299475
Every single camera company is shit in their own way
Do your research and find out which shittiness you can tolerate the most
Can't really go wrong with any of the big 3
>>
>>4299652
>Not sure what they mean. The Z6 was an excellent video camera from the outset
Yeah but Nikon's bad reputation for video comes from before that, when it was just DSLRs.
>>
>>4299475
>I think I read they were overtaken by Snoy so it must be a kick to the nuts to be #3 now.

nikon made a lot of dumb arrogant decisions. i'm not sure if they have topped the d810 yet. their DSLR cameras were legend, and their mirrorless were inferior in photographic quality and build quality. then they dropped F mount at the same time.

They really did not present a compelling reason to switch over, especially when they use Sony chips.

Maybe now that they bought RED things will get better, but I doubt they will really harness any of that RED brain power beyond pillaging their tech.

I switched to lumix and don't regret it for a second. not only are the lumix cameras WAY better, panasonic is a way cooler company that deserves your money.
>>
>>4304800
The z7ii is equal to the d850
The z6ii/zf surpasses the d750
The z8 sadly has noise like a cannot POS body but so does every truly fast camera except for the $5000 a1 (maybe they should have done what canon did and forced NR in raws?)

Panasonic on the other hand cant even beat fuji for market share or autofocus
>>
>>4304800
lol z cams are way better built than the plastic mount d810. whether its ff or m43 panashills always lie. literal bottom dog company that still sees zombies like pentax and olympus as competition.
>>
>>4304813
Panashills don't lie, they're genuinely insane, otherwise they wouldn't shill panasonic. Seriously, panasonic doesn't see pentax as competition, pentax is still way past them. The K-1 is a much more enjoyable and soulful camera with better rendering than their fanciest "S1R", which is all of the sorrows of mirrorless without any of the fun parts. I'd rather use an a7riii. inb4 >but technically the techy techy - i dont care, it has character compared to panasoink.
>But the video codecs
Black Swan was shot on 16mm film and grossed more than your entire family tree is worth. You don't need codecs, you dont even need aps-c, lol.
>But L mount has sigma, check out this mtf shart! SO SHARP! SO SHART!
Trans scat is irrelevant to a pleasing image. Auteurs are pushing out quality TV slop and cinema hits using vintage rehoused canon, nikon, and even soviet primes with 4-6 elements, and the "soft" images from these poor "mtf sharts" are wowing people when blown up to fill 65" flatscreens and presented in theatres. Someone put a helios 44 on a 65mm cinema camera. The movie grossed nearly 500 million globally on day one. MTF sharts, pfffffft.
>>
>>4304811
>a1
>snoy baby mount
The a1 is still noisy once you factor in 2+ stops of vignetting correction on nearly every lens even when stopped down.
>>
I make a living with Nikons, so I think they're pretty srs.
>>
File: 1701113152618675.jpg (39 KB, 500x500)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>4304813
>better built than the plastic mount d810

I was crossshopping a z6 and s5. literally everyone was calling nu-nikon dogshit build quality with shit buttons. cope.

>>4304813
>literal bottom dog company

yeah, and somehow these bottom dogs made the best full frame hybrid camera on the market, and still come to market priced under the competition. nikon is fucking pathetic.

>>4304831
coping this hard.
>>
>>4305077
why are anusonic shills always such obnoxious retards? buyers remorse?
>>
>>4304813
>z cams are way better built
As a sonyfag I don't understand why sony has a larger market share when nikon makes better body with same sensor
>>
>>4304839
Spoken like someone who has absolutely no idea what they are talking about
>>
>>4305100
They got to mirrorless first, they have greater production capacity, they got to the high framerate auto-everything for incompetent journalists thing first, and they opened new tech support centers when nikon had to close some of theirs.

What do you think "professionals" (the majority of them, that you should not look up to or imitate, think the underpaid mooks you see following people around on the news and at sports games) actually care about?
They don't care about dick. They aren't even photographers. They don't even buy the cameras. Their employer does, and employers care about contracts. Supply contracts. Support contracts. And foolproof shit their retarded employees can use without fucking up. What do employers have right now? Long standing deals with sony, lots of supporting equipment that only has first party support on sony, etc, same reason canon has staying power, decades worth of EF gear is piled up wherever people work however shitty it is because it was the best for masses of non-artistic snapshitters way back when.

Nikon just sends cameras into space. 0 future, as far as being a profitable soulless corporate outfit goes. They're going to join pentax, fuji, and panasonic in "artist brands".

>>4305594
No that's pretty accurate. Just go down lens reviews for E mount sometime

35mm f1.4 gm = -3ev wide open, 2ev f2
50mm f1.2 gm = -2.9ev wide open, -1.3ev f2
Many such cases

You need giant black NIGGOR primes or medium format to beat these numbers however.
>>
>>4305599
I'm looking at uncorrected 50mm 1.2 GM files made on my Z9 and not seeing that level of light loss.
>>
File: DSC_6129.jpg (215 KB, 1000x669)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>4299475
my thoughts are that you should replace that 5D Mk 4 shutter

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D200
Camera SoftwareVer.2.01
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern848
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationLeft-Hand, Bottom
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2024:05:01 14:16:58
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1936
Image Height1296
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
ISO Speed Used100
Color ModeCOLOR
Image QualityNORMAL
White BalanceAUTO
Image SharpeningAUTO
Focus ModeAF-C
Flash SettingNORMAL
Flash Compensation0.0 EV
ISO Speed Requested100
Flash Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
AE Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
Tone CompensationAUTO
Lens TypeNikon D Series
Lens Range35.0 mm; f/1.8
Auto FocusCenter
Shooting/Bracketing ModeSingle Frame/Off
Color ModeMODE1
Lighting TypeNATURAL
Noise ReductionOFF
Camera Actuations6139
Image OptimizationNORMAL
Saturation 2AUTO
>>
>>4305599
Every time I read Niggor I chuckle and makes my day just a bit better, and this one was good. Thank you anon, godspeed to you and your big black Niggor lens collection
>>
>>4305100
worked photo retail for about a decade, and from that perspective, sony had by far the best store support for my region (most sponsored events & workshops, rep visits, relatively few supply issues), greatest spif / commission paid of any of the brands, greatest employee purchase programs / discounts
a lot of employees switched over around the a7II/III generations and never looked back, and the incentives to push sony are just too good

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.