[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: S5IIX.jpg (1.08 MB, 2560x1707)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
Thoughts on the S5II/S5IIX as a stills camera?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>4302282
Like paying extra for a worse nikon z6

Its for telling your fellow youtubers about your sick codecs not photography or video. For those you use a nikon z6ii or a sony fx30 (full frame is not cinematic, 4k120 crops dont matter unless discussing your sick codecs with your fellow youtubers. just move your camera no one films in that shit anyways. i have only heard an argument against 120fps crops from someone that literally jerked off to bird assholes)
>>
Yeah it's good
>>
>L mount
>good lenses
even the five figure leica sl stuff looks like dslr glass next to snoy GMs. just use a dslr if you like soft lenses. then you get an ovf, battery life, and good color science. panasonic colors are worse than snoy colors.
>inb4 sigma
flat rendering. compare a sigma art to a zeiss otus… no comparison.
>>
I thought Lumix cameras only have micro four thirds sensor?
>>
It's big due to the cooling features needed for video. There are much more suitable stills cameras but I did buy an S5ii with a 50mm and an 85mm for £1400 which is incredible value. The EVF is really nice too.
>>
>>4302286
>nikon z6
ewww
>>4302290
>muh color science
you are supposed to edit raws not shoot jpg, snoynigger
>>
>>4302337
>You're supposed to color grade every raw from the ground up
Sounds like virgin shit. Open .nef in capture one, photo looks better than jpeg. Shoot jpeg, photo looks ok enough. Simple as.
>>
>>4302338
>capture one
ah so you are one of "those" never mind
>>
>>4302338
Clearly you've never used lightroom, or any pentax/sony/olympus/panasonic cameras, if you think just opening a raw in a reputable program results in anything but dull pukey colors, canikon snob.
>>
Just get the original S5 and spend rest on good glass. The panny f1.8 primes are pretty good, and sigma makes very sharp (and lifeless) glass. You can get a leica at some point and use the same glass on it, if that's your thing.
>>
>>4302339
>One of "those"
People who enjoy quality color science without "grading" or using "presets", correct.
>>
>>4302342
this. You can get these for $800 and its literally the same sensor and actually one of the best performing sensors in term of low light and dynamic range.
>>
Every camera since 2013 is capable of taking phenomenal pictures. Just pick a used shitbox from 2016.
>>
>>4302654
In terms of noise and “dynamic range” (noise with an arbitrary line in the sand that varies over 3 stops depending on who you ask) cameras sensors have not changed one fucking bit since 2013. Nada. Some (z8, z9, a9iii) actually got worse. The only exception is canon, which improved slightly for newer sensors than the rp/6dii’s and started applying more forced shadow noise reduction to their raws to pretend to be fully iso invariant.
>>
>>4302654
you can get a z6ii for $1100 (possibly less if you can haggle someone down from ebay scam prices) and get the same IQ with better colors, better autofocus, and a wider selection of better lenses.
>>
>>4302684
Thank you NIGGOR salesman
>>
>>4302291
it's been a while since panasonic dumped m43. Well, they made one new one fairly recent but their main focus has been in FF
>>
>>4302925
>new
they reused the same body as the ff version and plopped a tiny sensor in. It's hardly new.
>>
>>4302660
My camera is from 2009
>>
>>4302282
might as well get a Sony or Nikon if you don't care about video, the lens selection for an L mount camera is piss poor compared to E-mount and you can't use continuous AF with adapted lenses
the sensor quality is great for the price, but if you don't care about AF you might as well buy an S1 or S5, and if you do care about AF you'll have to spend too much money on lenses
>>4302290
>GM lenses are better than L-mount lenses from Leica
this is comically biased and imo wrong
>Panasonic colors are worse than Sony's
this is comically wrong
>flat rendering
my bad for replying to bait
>>
>>4303016
Sigma does render pretty flat, but that's kind of the point. Gives a good starting point you can edit to have "life" or whatever. I have the 24-70, and it's great. Would still pick the panny primes in most cases just because they have something to the way they look.
>>
>>4303016
GM lenses are in fact better than L mount lenses from leica, on average. Go look at the size comparisons, the MTF charts, it's a brutal mogging. Leica sells SLs at a loss as a fashion tier marketing campaign. Sony is the #2 brand and basically all I see at big events.

But goddamn if they aren't dogshit at landscape photography and extra dogshit at sports if you don't pay the "we intended for your employer to be the one purchasing a body of this grade" snoy premium for the a1/a9 series and fx3 (the only non-crippled snoys).

If you value your sanity and well being, the z7ii and z8 are currently the best landscape and sports cameras available with 0 bullshit, good lenses at every price point, no obvious forced noise reduction of corrections written to raws. The S5/II is a bit better for video if you insist on certain codecs but the autofocus is slightly below a nikon z7ii's and it's more like a budget alternative to an fx3.
>>
>>4303472
>sony
>sharpest lightest smallest
>but at what cost?
>3ev vignetting. correction written to raw. poorly. also, RIP your stars.
Then again, canon's rf 50mm f1.2 also vignettes 3ev, they apply obvious shadow NR on basically every RF body and they released a UWA zoom that doesn't even cover full frame before dramatic digital corrections

I also see canons, sometimes, but not as often, and half of them are still DSLRs or using obvious EF lenses. Supposedly they're way more common than sony at NFL games and I've seen a few on TV but it was still at least 50% sony.
>>
>>4303472
>op asks for still
>autismos cant contain his video bullshit
nigger
>>
>>4303477
Yeah, the s5 is a video camera with a shitty stills feature, what of it

If you dont want a video camera its called a z6ii/z7ii
>>
>>4303478
I AM NOT BUYING YOUR SHITTY NIGGOR GET IT TROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL
>>
>>4303482
>I am not buying the best camera that I actually want, I'm going to buy a worse camera because of /p/ memes
Ok why? You know Nikon is the best choice. I know Nikon is the best choice. Just embrace it and buy a Nikon.

Or go broke buying a canon for muh nfl weddings
>>
>be me
>haven't taken a photo in 2 months
>considering buying a S1
Talk me out of it bros.
>>
>>4302282
It's fine. Anons are psychos and yell about 'flat rendering' because they're unable to think about lighting before shooting (go buy and read Light - Science & Magic) and so think 90% of photos with great '3d pop' are because of the lens and not favorable lighting conditions.

I'm curious to see what the new firmware brings with improved AF performance and detection modes. I use an R7 and 100-500 just for wildlife and the S5II for most everything else.

That said...
> It's 2024. Any camera made since 2019, even 1" and m43 makes good pictures.
>>
File: P1011343.jpg (346 KB, 1000x667)
346 KB
346 KB JPG
>>4303478
Go troll another thread. S5 is cheaper to get and panny glass is great for the price.
>b-b-but my af!
Learn to shoot. The AF is way good enough. Better than what I had with my old Canon 6D and that was good enough.

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDC-S5
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 13.1 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)35 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2024:04:13 16:23:36
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4303608
It is the lens

Take a sigma lens on a hasselblad and a shitty panasonic 20mm f1.7 on an epl1 and shoot in the same light
The micro four thirds will have more 3d pop

>>4303879
Please don't shill people on buying dead camera brands
>>
File: P1011106.jpg (303 KB, 1000x667)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
>>4303881
The only brand that's dying in the next couple of years is Olympus.

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDC-S5
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.7
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)40 mm
Image Created2024:04:13 16:54:04
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length40.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4303879
>>4303884
>Buy $1000 camera
>Come to board where 90% of people have a 3840x2160 screen
>Post 56k-friendly photos that dont even fill a 1024x768 linux stinkpad
i dont get some people
(this is what i do when i miss focus :^))
>>
File: P1010608.jpg (3.06 MB, 3000x2000)
3.06 MB
3.06 MB JPG
>>4303885
Big words from a nophoto trolling in a gear thread.

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDC-S5
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.6
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)20 mm
Image Created2024:04:13 17:20:36
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating500
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length20.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: Z62_2399.jpg (2.03 MB, 3000x1996)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>4302282
If you can afford the S5II, the Z6II is a similar camera for stills but cheaper because it's worse for video.

The only downside is there's a $250 adapter premium because the yakuza at sony told sigma they aren't allowed to release lenses for Nikon, only brands that aren't legitimate threats. But it's more than made up for by Nikon's very good S line lenses, and said adapter letting you use any sony lens.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON Z 6_2
Camera SoftwareCapture One Windows
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Image Width3000
Image Height1996
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Exposure Time1/3000 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating560
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width4200
Image Height2794
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>4303916
>left moire in again
oh no
capture one problems.

why does capture one always have more moire than lightroom? lightrooms default looks like maxing out the moire slider on the whole image for c1
>>
File: P1022135.jpg (736 KB, 2048x1365)
736 KB
736 KB JPG
>>4303916
Nice dog. I have the trial for capture one since I heard it's better with panny stuff. No idea how to make it run better. And no idea if the export presets are any good, this one's the "for web use".

To OP, just get what you like and can afford. Doesn't matter that much in the end.

Camera SoftwareCapture One Macintosh
Image Width2048
Image Height1365
>>
>>4303965
That came out oversharpened... do they add some sharpening for web for jpeg exports? Or then I just can't fucking use the capture one sharpening yet. At least Lightroom lets you set the threshold visually.
>>
>>4303966
Capture one's sharpening is pretty aggressive and "fat", but I leave it at defaults because I think it looks better in web browsers (but it might not, my 4k display renders web-ppi jpegs differently than a display where web res is native). It also gives the noise a softer look, lightroom noise looks kind of like brooktree's lab scans.

C1s chroma noise reduction is very non-aggressive and they leave a lot of false color in, but I notice the colors are more vibrant and accurate with less color grading work in return. At high ISOs lightroom looks less mushy and gets rid of color noise better (at the cost of color in general). Must be because the company that makes the program only makes $20k medium format cameras.
>>
>>4303968
Also check your creative sharpening (editing tabs) and export sharpening (show all options in the export window). They're separate because downscaling algorithms may or may not need sharpening depending on your photo, and you can selectively apply creative sharpening ie: just to an iris.
>>
File: R0000181 5.jpg (2.94 MB, 2048x3072)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB JPG
>>4303971
Ok, thanks. So far this seems like a more powerful editing tool. The nice part is that you can just buy a license instead of a subscription like with Adobe. From what I've heard if you're not shooting with canon/sony capture one has better colors or raw engine or whatever. At least from what I've noticed I don't have to put vibrancy +15 and sat -5 to every photo to get some colour in it.

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelRICOH GR III
Camera SoftwareCapture One Macintosh
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length18.30 mm
Image Width2048
Image Height3072
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
ContrastHard
SaturationHigh
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeMacro
>>
>>4303977
It's got to be their demosaicing pipeline and related to why capture one turns my dogs eyebrows sorta green and distant pine trees sorta rainbow more often. No other explanation. It's almost like it's closer to rawtherapee than lightroom is.

Also, try using the AI masks and the advanced color editor. Shit's fun. Obviously the curves tool is photoshop tier, not LRC tier, but the color editor is fun too.
>>
>>4302282
>S5II/S5IIX as a stills camera

there is not much reason to buy it over an s5 for stills.
>>
File: face lumix lafayette.jpg (4.56 MB, 6000x4000)
4.56 MB
4.56 MB JPG
>>4302290
>panasonic colors are worse than snoy colors.

STFU faggot. best color science out there.

>>4302684
nikon is worse in like every way.

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDC-S5
Camera SoftwareVer.2.6
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)105 mm
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2024:04:13 16:35:31
Exposure Time1/1000 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
ISO Speed Rating250
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length105.00 mm
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4304177
enumerate your reasons without bringing up video codecs or gearfag boomer myths about magic pixels and lines on charts or forever be a guy who took a photo of a wall and had a dumb opinion

all panasonic has going for them is the cheap kit zoom going to 20mm instead of being another fucking 24-70
>>
>>4304192
>shilling dying nikon this hard.

lumix blows the fuck out of nikon for video. better color science. the build of the bodies isn't even comparable. nikon uses gay ass cards that are expensive as fuck. Z-mount lacks lenses. and the S5 is like way cheaper. I have no idea why anyone would choose nikon over lumix except for nostalgia purposes.
>>
>>4304195
>for video
Video doesn't really matter. People shot for the silver screen on 16mm film. Lower than megapixel war tier gearfaggotry. MUH 4:2:2 IS THE 4k DCI THO WHATS THE CROP IN 60P DOES THIS RECORD LONGGOP OR ALL-I - who the FUCK cares? Movies that made more than your entire family is worth were shot on equipment that made the 5diii look like a luxury product and you worry about this codec shit for what, youtube? I have seen video-brah camera reviews...zooming in on frozen footage...lmfao what the fuck. That's like pixel peeping 200% - on instax film.
>Better colors
Subjective, editible.
>The build isn't comparable
Nikons are well known for their durability and weather sealing. They fucked up a few times and issued recalls.
Panasonic is well known for port, shutter, mainboard, and IBIS failures on their micro four thirds cameras and battery drain on the S5s. No recalls yet. After all the busted GH5s I can't trust them.
>Gay ass cards
Its funny as fuck when someone can afford a $1000 camera but wants to use a UHS-1 SD card. Shit bro why didn't you just buy a DSLR or APS-C? It's a luxury product, and using faster cards is a luxury. You're in the wrong price bracket.
>Z mount lacks lenses
It has more, and better, lenses especially with adapters. Sigma, who needs sigma? Nikon can use first party sony lenses. But since you're poor you'll be glad to know the cheapo FTZ lets you use lenses that are like $150 instead of $500+ for the sparse selection of L mount shit.
>like way cheaper
$850-$1000 for the old panasonic vs $850-$1000 for the old nikon
$1150-$1300 for the new nikon vs $1500+ for the new panasonic, purely becaue of the economies of scale, more people want nikon so nikon makes more cameras so the prices go lower
>>
>>4304195
did you make a shit post because you wanted reasons to replace your panasonic with a nikon

it sounds like you should replace your panasonic with a canon 6d or a micro four thirds lol
>>
>>4304177
>>4304195
>>4304200
oof, coping hard
>>
File: waifu.jpg (4.03 MB, 6000x4000)
4.03 MB
4.03 MB JPG
>>4304199
>Video doesn't really matter.

LOL. ok faggot.

>>4304199
>Subjective, editible.

says the guy who calls lumix collor science shit.

>>4304199
>Gay ass cards

happy pay pigs.

>>4304199
>It has more, and better, lenses especially with adapters.
>muh adapters.

two can play that game.

>>4304199
>Nikons are well known for their durability and weather sealing.

lol. everyone says the new nikon frames feel like cheap plastic garabge, and the buttons feel like shit. lakc of knobs and switches.

>>4304199
>Panasonic is well known for port, shutter, mainboard, and IBIS failures

lol, never heard of anyone of this shit and sounds like you are making shit up.

>IBIS

yeah, at least the lumix has ibis-that is industry leading.

>>4304199
>>4304199
>$850-$1000 for the old panasonic

I bought an s5 new for like $1300. used ones were going for like 650. Maybe prices went up because people are waking up to lumix superiority.

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDC-S5
Camera SoftwareVer.2.6
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Image Created2024:04:13 16:09:15
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4304207
>>4304228
tldr but im finding it hard to decide on who to believe

the guy who took a photo of a wall or the guy who took a photo of a dog
>>
>>4304232

nikon is dying for a reason.
>>
File: Z72_3145.jpg (1.72 MB, 3000x1500)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
>>4304228
>reddit spaced wall of text
>photo of a reddit wall
this is really activating my visual literacy

>>4304237
yeah because sony and canon sell better cameras for soulless newspaper employees by having what newspaper employees actually want - large tech support programs

duh. do you really think gearfags ever mattered? most cameras are bought by employers and rental companies.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON Z 7_2
Camera SoftwareCapture One Windows
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)120 mm
Image Width3000
Image Height1500
Exposure Time1/4000 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFine Weather
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length120.00 mm
Image Width4500
Image Height2250
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
this is concerning
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/67569951
https://nofilmschool.com/panasonic-s5-ii-battery
at least nikon does recalls, yikes

maybe not an issue for a freelance videofag who cant afford a real video camera or slip a rental fee into his clients invoices, because he uses dummy batteries and needs the *codec babble* more (for soulless client work where the client demands ___ but can't tell 1080p and 8k apart), but damn
>>
File: evansville.jpg (3.62 MB, 6000x4000)
3.62 MB
3.62 MB JPG
>>4304239
>>photo of a reddit wall

you are retarded.

>>4304239
>>photo of a reddit wall

meh, took it yesterday.

>>4304239
>eah because sony and canon sell better cameras for soulless newspaper employees by having what newspaper employees actually want - large tech support programs
>duh. do you really think gearfags ever mattered? most cameras are bought by employers and rental companies.

coping this hard. imagine being a nikon faggot coming into a lumix thread to shill more expensive and inferior gear.

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDC-S5
Camera SoftwareVer.2.6
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)105 mm
Image Created2023:06:24 17:49:41
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
Exposure ProgramLandscape Mode
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length105.00 mm
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4304228
>im so triggered but will try to respond snarkily so as to pretend im not absolutely assblasted (and fail): The post.
>>
>>4304248
>comment too long
ignored it desu

here's my honest opinion that happens to be fact
z7ii = z6ii = zf = x100vi > xt5 > z8/z9 "pro" blobs > cannot > snoy > panasoink
>>
File: 1713035360445428.png (437 KB, 752x717)
437 KB
437 KB PNG
>>4304254
>here's my honest opinion that happens to be fact
>z7ii = z6ii = zf = x100vi > xt5 > z8/z9 "pro" blobs > cannot > snoy > panasoink

oof. p is full of retards now.
>>
File: interdasting.png (130 KB, 308x1721)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
>>4304263
I took a photo of google telling me about your photo. What's up with that?

So uh you got any more cool wall pictures?
>>
File: S5_S-R2060_slant_K_4.jpg (406 KB, 2048x1734)
406 KB
406 KB JPG
This guy is trying to sell me an original Lumix S5+12-60mm kit lens for $980. Should I go for it?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 21.2 (Macintosh)
Image Width6000
Image Height4500
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2020:11:24 11:24:49
Image Width2048
Image Height1734
>>
>>4304271
no, unless you are using manual lenses to cine-camera larp it doesnt have any advantages over a cheaper dslr other than 20mm on a kit zoom, just downsides. its even the same size. it doesnt even have many advantages over aps-c other than one extra stop of ISO so you might as well look for a deal on a fuji x-t4 since overall, the lenses are cheaper for the same diverse options.
>>
>>4302282
no uncropped 120 fps
questionable autofocus
no lenses
why would anyone buy this camera?
>>
>>4304274
maybe they want their 4k to look like 4k, not 1080p, which is a rare feature on cameras that do uncropped slow motion video (a feature of questionable importance because slow motion video is so rarely used that moving the camera slightly and suffering a quality loss is an acceptable compromise over buying a full fledged cinema camera)
>>
>>4304271
>Should I go for it?

I dont' think that's an insane deal. idk. i think you can get a new s5 for around $1000, but the kit lens is good, and the s5 is a fantastic camera.

>>4304272
>confuses ISO with dynamic range.

stfu. if you don't know what full frame brings you should shut your mouth. s5 is one of the best full frames on the market, and has great IBIS on top.
>>
File: sky.jpg (4.59 MB, 6000x4000)
4.59 MB
4.59 MB JPG
>>4302342
>Just get the original S5 and spend rest on good glass.

this

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDC-S5
Camera SoftwareVer.2.6
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)55 mm
Image Created2024:03:14 20:01:39
Exposure Time1/1000 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating16000
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length55.00 mm
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
really considering an S5 but my OM-5 is so comfy already...
>>
>>4304277
ISO+sensor size determines dynamic range in most contexts.

ISO is signal amplification. Amplifying a weaker signal (underexpose) does result in less dynamic range. A smaller sensor receives less signal even when it detects a signal of the same intensity, so it has less dynamic range as if a larger sensor were amplifying a weaker signal. Different placement of the gain stages can lead to basic calculations on this principle being up to a half stop off (basically invisible), but generally, once ISO is normalized to be the same amount of gain regardless of its labeled value, dynamic range is a factor of ISO and sensor size.

The only exceptions are radically different technologies which doesn't really apply to cameras post-2013
>>
>>4304279
problem
>good glass
>panasonic
what is there, an M to L adapter and voigtlander? they have a full lineup of full frame and crop cameras and struggle to steal market share from fucking fuji man. there lenses are nikon Z mount S line expensive but not nikon good and have the same total lack of character. all that fancy mirrorless tech and you'd just be using EF lenses for autofocus most of the time.
>>
>>4303885
i read this board on a vertically positioned 1080p screen
>>
>>4304283
lecia and signma both make L mount lenses and the lumix lenses are good.
>>
>>4304283
Sigma makes some of the best glass available period. They are optically compatible to Sony GM and Canon L lenses, if not strictly better, while costing much less.
>>
>>4304291
That's why all those high flying professional photographers and cinematographers clamor for sigma lenses and not vintage FD mount lenses and fucking jupiter-4s kek

Did it maybe occur to you that MTF charts correlate poorly with pretty pictures
>>
>>4304295
>professional photographers and cinematographers
>something actually good and artistic
Choose one
>>
>>4304296
>pfff those fags called "artistes" and "ateurs" aint shit look at the edge contrast on this iso900159420 USAF resolution test chart. sigma rules bitches!
>>
>>4304295
why do you write like a retard
>>
>>4304299
Trying not to speak too far above you're level
>>
Is this some new bot? I’ve seen this same exact reply in a few different threads across the boards now. Wonder what the trigger is.
>>
>>4302282
I love my S5. It definitely takes amazing photos, but I really don't like using it for important fast photography (events, paid work, etc). The button layout and interface isn't as intuitive as my Nikon DSLRS (D600, D7100).
I especially hate how it's not easy to delete photos quickly. Maybe the S5II has improved this idk?
Works well with some adapted canon lenses (Tamron 17-35 2.8-4, Sigma 24-105 f4, Canon 70-210 f3.5-4.5, Canon 50mm 1.8 STM)
I only have the native Lumix S 20-60mm lens. Phenomenal lens, just a little slow.
Its a perfect camera for video tho.
>>
>>4302286
"full frame is not cinematic" may I ask what it means good sir? I assumed that you are talking about super 35 are better than fullframe stuffs but I think it's only better in cinema camera world. In mirrorless/dslr, full frame is definitely much better.
>>
>>4305698
Do you think cinema cameras are not mirrorless or SLR? What do you think they are, pellicle mirror cameras?

Are you not aware that some noise/grain is actually desirable in video even at levels where it's intolerable in stills? Movies beloved for their camera work have used 16mm film. That's like filming on micro four thirds.

Full frame is not cinematic. It is soap operamatic. Or shitty super hero movie...matic. Bokeh in motion is the festering brand of consoomer slop.
>>
>>4302282
Unless you have some specific need, it's gonna be the same as every other full frame camera. 14 stops of range with 24-33mpx sensor, your deciding factor should be lenses and ergonomics, imo.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.