[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: _DSC8107.jpg (1.16 MB, 1367x2048)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
Ansel Adams used to tilt the plate is his cameras in order to get his entire photo in focus at once, regardless of the depth of field. Now we all just go to the highest f stop value possible and shoot for the best. Alternatively some with set up with a tripod, and take 10 photos of the same exact scene with different focus points, and blend them all into one picture in photoshop. Others hate the concept and prefer a visual reference to the depth of field with an area clearly in focus and an area that is clearly not. This then begs the question, is focus better long range or up close?
I played around with the concept a bit. I took two pictures, one just as far back as possible, and then another on the close foreground. I did this trying to see which style I liked better. Personally I like the foreground in focus, but the other person I asked preferred the shot with the background in focus.

so what do you guys think? do you have a preference? Or do you like the Incel Adams "everything in focus" approach?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D610
Camera SoftwareAdobe Lightroom 7.2 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern850
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2024:04:21 14:20:47
Exposure Time1/4000 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Comment452942
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeLandscape
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: _DSC8108.jpg (1.8 MB, 1367x2048)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
second shot

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D610
Camera SoftwareAdobe Lightroom 7.2 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern850
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2024:04:21 14:21:00
Exposure Time1/4000 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating640
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Comment452942
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeLandscape
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
#2 except w/o distracting foreground elements ruining otherwise ok snap
>>
I like #2 better, but a lot of modern cameras have focus bracketing built in and lightroom makes combining them take like 3 clicks
>>
>>4306391
Sounds like you need to get your hands on a monorail camera, so you can play around with tilt, swing, and shift. It really opens up a huge world of possibilities. Photography becomes a lot more technical, but that's not a bad thing.

Aaaand just so you know... You can buy backplates that will adapt your digital camera to your view camera! No need to futz around with expensive sheet film.

>>
I recently found some old fotos of almost flat surfaces (posters wrapped around a broad lantern pole) that are ruined because I didnt use the right f stop and now half of the shit is not in focus when there is even the slightest relief, cameratilt or roundess. It seems I have to use at least f/7.1 by default.
>>
>>4306400
Where's the fun in that?
>>
>>4306391
>>4306392
I prefer the second, it feels as if you're actually there under the tree covering peering out at the waterfall. I imagine that's what you were doing while you were there, not looking around at the leaves. I would perhaps selectively darken the foreground a little bit so it's more of a distinct frame (could be tedious), that's the impression the thumbnail gives but then you enlarge it and the effect isn't as strong.

While I agree that a shallow depth of field is a crutch to many people it's also a vital tool, it can direct the viewers gaze and make the rest less distracting. Of course you should try and get the best composition you can but sometimes you get what you get. Also our eyes don't have an infinite depth of field so it goes part way to replicating that. Sure if you're looking out onto a landscape there's not much specific you'll be focussing on with other stuff in the foreground and background. But if I hold up something in front of my right now my eyes are focussed on that and my monitor a foot away in the background is out of focus.
>>
>>4306391
>but the other person I asked
there was no other person you asked. you're some shutin who is too afraid to talk to people in real life so you're forced to make low effort threads like this, because you've been spending your entire life doing retarded shit like this on plebbit hoping to farm karma, but forgot no such thing exists here
>>
>>4307374
Id give him an updoot. At the very least this isn't another gear thread, right?
>>
>>4307374
weird projection
>>
>>4307377
If you read between the lines he's shilling for tilt-shift lenses or alternatively, bellows
>>
>>4307514
No that's just me. I want more people to shoot large format and post it on fgt. I shill it for the love not the money.
>>
>>4307516
your snapshits and constant reddit tier comments actually made me never want to shoot 4x5.
>>
>>4307520
Your weird obsession with animal rape makes me want to shoot 4x5 dog photos just to make you implode with seethe.
>>
>>4307521
He's obsessed with reddit as well! Lol!
>>
File: txp70mm (5).jpg (1.17 MB, 1995x2543)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>4307521
Look at what is achievable using a 4x5 camera! Isn't this simply remarkable?

Camera ModelPerfection V800
Equipment MakeEPSON
Camera SoftwareAdobe Lightroom 9.2.2 (Android)
Image Width10392
Image Height13184
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2024:04:10 07:36:59
Light SourceUnknown
>>
>>4307372
Thanks man I appreciate the feedback
>>
>>4307374
Go be a gay faggot somewhere else
>>
>>4306392
go to f8, don't need to make the foreground that blurry, it gets distracting then
>>
>>4306391
both shots are shit but the first one is WAY BETTER than the second one.

second shot with everything in focus is too busy especially in your case where every fucking thing in the image is the same color, same shape and all bunched up together. only an artless retard would prefer the second shot over the first one
>>
>>4307806

Yeah, because blurring the only interesting thing in the scene is "art"
>>
File: IMG_2449.jpg (1.05 MB, 1359x1573)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>4306402
For me it’s the Cambo Actus.

Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution144 dpi
Vertical Resolution144 dpi
Image Width1359
Image Height1573
>>
>>4306391
>>4306392
It's just not a good photo

You should buy the 24-120 f4 vr for landscape photography in busy areas like woodlands, where it's sometimes impossible to zoom with your feet
>>
>>4310621
BASED. Is it worth slapping a dslr on the back of a view camera? The mounting backs are kinda pricey.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.