[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: DSC00237.jpg (954 KB, 1500x1000)
954 KB
954 KB JPG
Got a good bonus at work and decided to finally retire my Canon 6D. Will be going Sony after seeing what the mirrorless landscape looks like with CaNikon.

Canon, makes decent bodies and fantastic lenses, that R8 is probably the best entry level FF camera you can get. Still gatekeeping RF mount and will no doubt cripple R bodies to protect the cinema line. Lenses are probably the best but almost double the price of Snoys in my meme country.

Nikon, feels the best to me in hand and I really like the RAWs the most. Menus and AF settings make the most sense but no real Z mount 16-35 f2.8 equivalent and the pro-grade 50mm being the size of a 24-70 is a big loss since those are my two most lenses.

Sony, looks like the logical choice. Bodies have everything you could need crammed into them, native lenses are a good balance between perfect optical quality and being corrected by software means I don't carry around any too big or heavy. I like being able to buy an A7S/FX3 in the future if I wanted to get serious with vid. Colors/skin tones don't seem to be oversharpened/saturated like before. Ergonomics aren't the best and you do get the stigma of being another zoomer buying a Sony to shoot zoomer things but hey, it is what it is.

Pic related, hopefully me with my Snoy A7IV.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1.1 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:09:08 16:17:54
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating2000
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness-2.4 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length16.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4306443
A7IV sucks for vids with the backplate being plastic instead of magnesium. Blame Snoy for cheaping out on Playstation quality. If you care about video instead of stills, spend more or wait and pray for next gen. If you already have a plan for A7S/FX3 why not got them now? Getting something you don't want now is always inefficient with photography.
>>
>>4306444
My current work now is 95% stills and I'm still learning video so I don't want to buy an FX3 and be like wtf am I doing. I shoot weddings and events now but I have some other areas I'm looking at where I think video content would be what I want to make instead of stills.

Would rather get an A7IV and get building the lens collection and then upgrade to one of their vid centric offerings when I know where I'm hitting the limitations of the A7IV and have a better idea of what will be the next body to give me what I need.
>>
>>4306443

snoy user actually rate lenses?
>>
>>4306449
You could look at finding a decent used A1, would be cheaper than A7IV + FX3 together.
Would be better for stills and video than A7IV, especially with the new fw update, though FX3 being a dedicated video camera btfos it in usability on that front, even if downsampled video from the A1 sensor would technically be sharper.
>>
I use mine for video all the time but I must have taken a total of 10 pictures on it. It's a tool I need for work. But if I ever go out I grab my xt5.

One thing I'll say is whatever waterproofing problems they used to have those things are sealed tight now.
I shot a mermaid themed opera (don't ask) and had the thing splashed like 10 dozen times. Works fine half a year later. My old Nikon used to go out for repair at least once a year.
>>
>>4306443
For what it’s worth, the 14-30 f/4 and 14-24 f/2.8 Z lenses are both incredible. And you can use the Sony 50 1.2 GM on a Nikon body seamlessly with a Megadap ETZ21 adapter, that’s what I do. Agree with you about the size of the Nikkor being a bummer. I really like the Sony 50. So you could have the best of both worlds.
>>
>>4307214
And you won’t need to buy a video-centric body if you get a Z8.
>>
>>4307195
i actually prefer the look of images taken with a7iv sensor.

a good/bad lens makes or breaks the image quality but no matter which lens you put on a1, the images always look digital/robotic... idk how to explain it. they look like AI made them

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.