[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_3249.jpg (20 KB, 701x438)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
What happened to all the hype?

A few years ago every photographer was talking about this brand, now it’s gone silent.

What camera brand should I be getting hyped about now?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width701
Image Height438
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>4306753
Awww sweet another gearfag thread! Just what we needed!
>>
>>4306755

I have $1000 that needs spending. It’s important
>>
>>4306756

2 years ago it was a no brainer, just buy a Sony. Now I’m not so sure
Fuji and Olympus both have some decent looking options.
>>
>>4306757
>olympus
>decent options
You do know that it’s technically a bannable offense to troll outside of /b/, right?
>>
>>4306759

Em10 looks decent and is a good price.
>>
>>4306759
There's no need to be so daft all the time
>>
>>4306757
>inferior sensors and optics
>phone sized sensor + used ff price for new xperia 1 performance
OP buy a sony a7c and 24mm f2.8 G it really is that simple
>>
>>4306757
Canon and Nikon bodies are competitive sure, and they have some uniquely appealing lenses. but Sony has a massive second hand market with over a decade of bodies and lenses on offer. If you're buying new then it could be a tough choice, but if you're going used then Sony is very appealing.
>>
>>4306768
>only a decade
>very appealing
zoomzoom was born after the F mount
>>
>>4306756
If you already have a decent tripod you should just spend 700 dollars on a 4x5 camera kit, and then 300 dollars on 200 sheets of fomapan 100 sheet film. It should take you a very good long while to go through 200 4x5 sheets.
>>
>>4306779
Holy based. Listen to this man, op.
>>
So far the Olympus em10 has the nicest looking photos which is what I care about, it renders colours nicer than the Sonys I looked at. It has nice built in colour profiles.
>>
>>4306783

I just found a post on dpreview of a guy who sold his Fuji camera and lenses to buy the Olympus em10. He was very happy with his choice.
>>
>>4306783
Just wait until you actually use it. Pure disappointment, especially if you've used a good camera. Buy a used nikon z6ii and a 28mm f2.
>>
>>4306753
>buying a camera for a brand that makes shitty tvs
couldn't be me
>>
>>4306786

What do you mean, why would it be pure disappointment?
>>
>>4306791
The build quality its a bit shit, and the image quality is strongly reminiscent of newer android phones with 1" sensors, sometimes worse if shooting in dim conditions. Do not pay more than $250 for an e-m10 iv. These are barely above point and shoots and primarily marketed to very young people in japan. Unfortunately zoomers started doom spending on retro chic fashion accessories, probably since iphone cameras suck more now, so they're getting hard to get for a fair price.

But you're probably not even buying a camera you just made this thread to respond to yourself
>>
>>4306753
Sony is an electronic equipment company that makes great sensors. They make some cameras that they put their sensors in.

Nikon & Canon are camera companies that make great cameras. They also put great Sony sensors in them.
>>
>>4306791
there comes a time in a micro four thirds users life when they suddenly realize they spent nearly a grand to take the same exact photos as their nerdy friends semi-obscure chinese android phone running a custom camera app

this is where they buy a macro lens or a giant $2000 zoom and take photos of birds because it's the one thing large sensor phones haven't touched yet and bridge cameras have somewhat shitty lenses for
>>
>>4306802
wtf i love birds
>>
File: 2G5A0050.jpg (3.1 MB, 4000x6000)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
>>4306753
I bought R6MII and am very very happy, mostly use it with RF 24-70.
If I had a grand... I don't know, I'd still go canon probably R + whatever cheap glass.

Fuji were nice in the store near me, I know its a meme here, but they were genuinely fun to play with. Canon for me for the foreseeable future though, its bulky, its heavy, but the images are fucking minty.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS R6m2
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 12.3 (Windows)
Photographermax@bigmail.one
Maximum Lens Aperturef/7.3
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2024:02:20 20:51:57
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/10.0
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/10.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length214.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4306802
Ahem I spent over a grand on my OM-5 and lenses and do not regret it. Granted I knew I wanted to do macro from the start because I am autistic. The system has some really great and affordable lenses; as long as you use the pro line I haven't seen any phones that actually compete.

OP the E-M10 is good but has no weather sealing. Up to you but the 5 line makes the most sense to me for body size/build quality/price tradeoffs.
>>
>>4306805
Better yet buy a nikon d750 for the joy of reflex
>>
>>4306753
>now it’s gone silent
majority of e-celebs use sony kits.
>>
If I am reading the room on /p then Olympus is the most talked about and popular cameras here.
I do not believe an android camera is matching the em10 , what phone I’ll google it but extreme doubt.
>>
>>4306796

Or they are good which is why people are buying them and the price is going up…

People want good photos in camera these days over all else and Olympus delivers with the nicest colours.
>>
>>4306753
>A few years ago every photographer was talking about this brand, now it’s gone silent.
https://youtu.be/9CxQahPoIs8
>>
>>4306810
Olympus colors are either piss colored (if you leave auto warm on) or hospital colored (if you turn it off) and you'll never get something good straight out of camera because it oversharpens the tits out of images even with noise reduction "off" and sharpening at -2, which is specifically what destroys fine detail into mosiac type blobs and adds halos around everything just like a phone camera does. i'm convinced every review that praises the SOOC results are either high or paid (maybe that's why olympus went broke) and it's unfortunate because you can in fact get nice colorful and sharp photos from an MFT olympus, even the older 16mp sensor ones, and their glass is surprisingly good even at the kit lens level, but actually getting something worth using means ignoring all the in camera settings and also ignoring their own raw software (olympus viewer/OM workshop) because it forces the same shitty smearing as the camera itself tries to
>>
>>4306804
Nice job Max
>>
>>4306772
>buying a dlsrosaur in 2024
Not everyone is a retro larp hipster, anon.
>>
OP is a samefagging m43 shill
>>
>>4306818
>but actually getting something worth using means ignoring all the in camera settings and also ignoring their own raw software (olympus viewer/OM workshop) because it forces the same shitty smearing as the camera itself tries to
Except for fujifriends this is what literally everyone does anyway. I think no one cares anymore, just look at Sony. I miss having usable fun SOOCs.
>>
>>4306964
Fuji sooc jpegs zombify skin tones and smear reds and blues with a moire reduction algorithm to hide how xtrans marketing claims were lies
>>
>>4306753
>What camera brand should I be getting hyped about now?
Whichever releases a good film camera
>>
Always found it weird how vocal Sony users are. I think they have the only users that actively try to sell you the system and shit on other brands, why is that?
t. Nikon shooter
>>
>>4306753
Fuck that noise brah. Buy a Nikon, install capture one. You'll be glad you're invested in superior FF/crop MF sized Z mount when tech from RED starts trickling into Nikon bodies.
>>
>>4307048
what tech from red exactly mate? swamp colours? $2k for a modular handle?
>>
>>4307050
21 stop dr? Global shutter?
>>
stopped caring when the a6700 released since it wasn't too different/groundbreaking from my a6600. the a9iii looks cool but ill wait for the trickle down for the global shutter if it ever happens.
>>
>>4306753
>what camera brand should i be getting hyped about now?

whichever one /p/ is complaining about the most
>>
I love my a6400. I was in the market for a hybrid that had nice video quaility and autofocus since I got a job in video production. I did two sessions with a Canon DSLR and it went horrible as you may guess. I had a $1k budget and even though Sony lenses are twice or thrice as expensive as Canon's I still went with Sony because they don't seem to nerf that many features on their non-flagship bodies.

Sold my whole Canon Rebel setup (T7, 3 lenses, grip, extra batteries) just to buy one Sony lens (18-135). I'm very happy right now as I can cover different kinds of events with one lens, just focusing on the composition and firing at medium speed bursts. If I keep getting more jobs I will buy a couple of FE lenses (probably the 200-600 and a Zeiss nifty fifty) and then the newest FF body.
>>
SNOY only took like 24 bodies from the a7 to the a9 III with slow incremental improvements to end up with a grip on par with Canon's first digital camera. I hope you bought them all at full price. The type a memory card will be obsolete this fall, so stock up today.
>>
>>4307939
The grip has been fine since the A7 II, so a decade ago
>>
>>4307939
>Finally, a grip for us wedding photographers slinging a 24-70 f2 and an 85mm f0.9 all day
Yeah, brides love their bokeh, but what about actual good photography and how a larger camera is categorically worse for anything not involving birds?
>>
File: DSC07227.jpg (4.78 MB, 1600x2400)
4.78 MB
4.78 MB JPG
>>4307932
Not sure how good it is for video since I don't do much of that but I loved the zeiss 55 on my a6400 for photos. I actually really miss it, been tempted to get another one even though I can't really justify it since I replaced it with a sigma 56.

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6400
Camera SoftwareCapture One 23 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)82 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Brightness8.7 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceDaylight
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length55.00 mm
Image Width1600
Image Height2400
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4307932
Another vote for the Zeiss 55mm. It's a little expensive for a #50mm f/1.8 but the performance is far above many of the cheaper alternatives, it's up there with the f/1.4s and in return you get a more compact and lighter lens. I also don't shoot video but others say it's good for that, it focuses quickly and silently in AF and in MF there's no lag.
>>
>>4306753
their recent releases are just overpriced models of what already came out, barely any changes, that's all
>>
>>4306790
What's wrong with their TVs?
>>
>>4306805
>I wanted to do macro from the start because I am autistic
Post macro autism shots.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.