[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: owl.jpg (931 KB, 2749x6186)
931 KB
931 KB JPG
Please explain to me like I'm retarded (because I probably am) why I'm not getting a blurry background when I set the f-stop low.

All the tutorials say lower number = blurry background, higher number = clear background. But here I took two shots, one at 3.2 and the other at 8.0 and they look virtually identical. I photoshopped the effect I want but I don't know how to get it. These are the lowest and highest my camera will allow me to do when I set it to A priority mode (Nikon Coolpix).

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Elements 10.0 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2024:04:28 16:00:03
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2749
Image Height6186
>>
You need a camera with a proper sensor and a fast lens.
>>
>>4308416
You need big sensor. Your tiny sensor makes f3.2 into f8.
>>
So you're saying it's just not possible? How are people doing it with their iPhones and stuff?
>>
>>4308424
The iphone uses AI to edit in fake bokeh and also scan all the faces and add them to a database so if anyone crosses a line (ie: runs for congress, wants to defund CIA meddling) their AI generated self will ruin their public image and be caught molesting children on camera or something
>>
>>4308424
Zoom in and walk further away
>>
>>4308416
You need an 50/85mm 1.2/1.8 lens
>>
>>4308424
It’s somewhat doable with small sensor cameras, but you have to manipulate the environment more. The owl has to come out much further from the wall, increase separation etc. but there’s a practical limit where you won’t get the same results as a larger sensor camera. And don’t use smart phones as a benchmark, because nowadays their depth of field photos are all calculated and done with software. My iPhone even let you get rid of background blurring, or make it extremely blurred after you take the photo, because it’s all an algorithm.
>>
>>4308424
If you want to cheat, blur the background using software on the computer.
The cheapest setup to accomplish this "for real" is a camera with an APS-C sensor and a 50mm f/1.8 lens.
Here come people telling you that you need full frame, and other people saying 50mm is too narrow for general photography on APS-C, and they are technically both right, but I'm telling you what's cheap.
>>
You need big hole that is close to subject
>>
>>4308416
>Nikon Coolpix
Which model?
>>
>>4308652
P1000

>>4308426
I'll try this I guess. Not sure what sensor mine has but I assume it's fixed and can't be swapped out so without the ability to change lenses it looks like this is about all I can do.
>>
>>4308655
The p1000 has a babby sensor, but the lense is no toy. Move further back and zoom in, if you can out 3-5m between the camera and the subject you'll get good separation.
If you want a close-up/wide angle and blurred background, you will just need to change to a "real" camera and good lense.
>>
tf is that statue
>>
File: bug.jpg (278 KB, 1195x899)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
>>4308657
I tried again and got a picture of this bug today. Looks nice. But the f-setting only allowed me to pick from 5 to 8. Sometimes it goes below 3, sometimes not. I'm not sure what governs that. But backing up and zooming helped here since there was like zero noticeable difference between the f values. I guess 5 and 8 are just too close to see much change.

>>4308690
idk, I think my grandfather carved it. I'm not really sure, I never asked. It's just always been here.
>>
>>4308692
Most zoom lenses, and all cheap ones, have a more limited range of f-stops when zoomed all the way.
>>
>>4308692
Col photo anon
>>
>>4308718
Thanks

>>4308694
Ok I'll play around with it some more. Doesn't seem like with this model it will vary much but I'll just do the zoom/distance trick for now.
>>
>>4308738
The P1000 focal length vs f-stop table can be found here: https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-p1000/nikon-p1000A4.HTM

If you want the bokeh equivalent of a full frame 50mm 1.4, you will need to zoom in to 1116mm. Not sure what the mimimum focusing distances but you pretty much have to be a block away. Also for more bokeh, try to keep the subject as far from the background as possible. There are bokeh simulators you can play with.

If you are photographing really small subjects, bokeh is pretty easy but you need to look out for minimum focus distance. Usually you get highest magnification at the widest angle and telephoto closest focus distance is pretty long. From a forum post at dpreview: 3000mm= 21'8", 2400mm=19'5", 1500mm=12'11", 1000mm=6'1" and 500mm=5'.

All in all it looks like the P1000 would have some good close up photography potential.
>>
Artistic bokeh portraits is just not what a superzoom bridge camera like the P1000 is for. This is a camera for taking adequate pics of birds, animals, planespotting, trainspotting, creepshots, sports, creepshots.. just about anything but how you're using it.

Spend $500. Get a D600 ($400) and a 50mm prime lens ($100). More bokeh than your ass can handle.
>>
File: frog1.jpg (555 KB, 1600x1200)
555 KB
555 KB JPG
>>4308765
I got it because it was highly recommended for birdwatching, and for that it really is amazing. I can get an ID off a sparrow at 250 feet. It's like a handheld spotting scope that can do pics/video too. Really love it for that, I was just curious about other stuff since I was trying to photograph my feeder and one thing lead to another and I was on a baking page showing pics of cupcakes with blurry backgrounds and got curious how to do it too.

>>4308760
>All in all it looks like the P1000 would have some good close up photography potential.
Not sure how close you mean but I got this tiny tree frog last fall with it.
>>
>>4308781
nice frog

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.