[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Canon-8-15-fe.jpg (148 KB, 590x439)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>Be me, research fisheye lenses.
>Look online how people put them into use
>It is all just skateboard related content
Sure, there are some who are able to find creative purposes, but it seems to me like whenever someone intends to show what a fisheye lens is capable of all they can think of is taking photos and videos of skateboarding. How strange! Just because some faggots in America used them for that purpose in the 90s.
>>
Ya'know back during the late 19th century it would have been a dream if someone could get a perfect real looking image, and now we have been ungrateful of this gift we've been given. We literally have been given a device that can make an image out of particle energy.
>>
>>4311178
>le heckin' magic of modern technology
shut the fuck up faggot
>>
>>4311172
take a photo of a girl with big platform shoes sitting on the ground with her feet sticking out and her head being really tiny
>>
>>4311186
I actually felt slight rage reading that.
>>
>>4311172
>8-15mm autofocus
why even have a zoom range? and why the fuck would you need autofocus for something this short?
>>
>>4311193
because people would call the lens shit if it didn't have AF
>>
>>4311201
i think its because all the lenses in this lineup are AF lenses and so it needs to be an AF lens or canon can't sell it
>>
>>4311172
put your big nose dog on a skateboard
>>
>>4311203
Well, Canon did make 9 other manual focus lenses for the EF mount (macros and tilt shift). They weren't actually labelled as EF lenses but the only thing they lacked was AF.
>>
>>4311172
https://www.juzaphoto.com/recensione.php?l=en&t=canon_8-15_fisheye#fotoesempio
scroll down and you can take a look at a lot of samples from that lens in all kinds of situations
>>
>>4311178
kys
>>
>go on youube and watch videos on photography
>hipster lofi bullshit music
>shoehorned in vlog unrelated to what the video is about to pad the video length
>rgb lights for backdrop and/or product shots
>sponsored or exclusive access
>selling their whateverthefuck presets for other unimaginative fucks
>"film like"
as for the reviews, nobody ever talks about just how bad the fujifilm x app is, the half resolution raws, arbitrarily missing controls during video and half retarded menu design. everyone shills the x-s20 but nobody actually uses it despite it having the most reasonable specs and the best ergonomics of any fuji aps-c body. i have this camera and im glad i bought it, but the lack of any documentation or discussion besides user manual and "is this camera good? -yes." reddit posts is appalling
>>
people in general are followers
>>
>>4311347
the pandemic proved this beyond any reasonable doubt. in fact its worse. the followers expect all others to follow too
>>
>>4311213
how did they get it under water
>>
>>4311193
>why even have a zoom range?
So it can also serve as a full frame fisheye for APS-H and APS-C bodies.
>>
What other use case can you think of?
Perhaps an ultra wide (and distorted) landscape shot, but then a 15 mm range lens would do better.
>>
>>4311178
>someone could get a perfect real looking image

We all know that someone is not you Zach
>>
>>4311358

They probably put it under the water
>>
>>4312066
Currently seeing a 1 hour long presentation of a dude that uses them for wedding photography so that is a little different i guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-WxCoDewbY
>>
>>4312089
no you can't
>>
>>4312149

Clearly they did
>>
>>4311178
You're such a pathetic redditor its unreal
>>
>>4311172
Yes, but its a bigger problem than the mere commodification of cameras. Painting, drawing, graphics, sculpting, all feature the artists stylistic choices as the value in the work, from abstract to realism. Photography, however has largely been reduced to and fallen into a fucking realism hole, where the goal in the work is to emulate the viewers expectation of reality as clearly as possible, giving the impression that the artists hand was not even present or had any influence in the image at all, that with a mere decision of timing and the slightest movement of a fingertip, the camera then created the final image as it really appeared in the world, capturing “truth”, with maximum clarity, sharpness and minimal distortion. This myth of “photographic truth” has allowed a load of cunts aspiring to be purists to simply rely on technology, which has improved so rapidly that the gear has become the focus. The more you spend on a pro-quality camera & glass the “better” (sharpness/dist/CA) your images. This approach generates images that people regard as excellent, but conversely, this approach that purports to minimize or remove the artists influence on the work effectively seeks to remove the artistry from the work. Photography’s problem is that the artistry, the human imperfections that add up to a visual style, is what makes an image interesting, because the viewers sees a human connection in the artists hand/style/craftsmanship. So the removal of imperfections that has driven camera sales and a ton of the innovation and technical improvements in our gear & built an industry has also simultaneously eliminated the concept of mans artistry and value in the art itself.

Any attempt to correct for this by intentionally applying the artists style to their images is dismissed as “graphics, not photography”, which is how Photography killed itself.
>>
>>4312153
no stop
>>
>>4311172
I haven't seen anyone do anything in the last 20 years that isn’t intentionally derivative coverband shit of some shit that was done before their time. Someone told the most unimaginative kids that if you cant come up with anything new, remix culture means you can just quote/copy/imitate other peoples old shit endlessly and its just as good.
>>
Videos with useful information for those eager to learn are buried deep in the search engine, not easy to come across. Videos that tells you what to consoom are pushed to the top so you'll get some adsense grifter telling you about sharpness, bokeh and how you are essentially worthless if not consooming latest $3000 product.
>>
>>4311172
UWA in general is actually very hard to do well. It's very difficult to find good composition with an angle of view so massive, especially with fisheyes. For skateboarding videos the effect is desirable but for other applications it's not as easy. You have lots of people on here warning others away from wide angle because they picked it up, took an image without any proper consideration for composition, and then blamed their equipment.
>>
>>4312066
If it's a massive crowd, like in a show, it could be used to take a few creative shots, but obviously you'd be using other lenses as well
>>
you can shoot photos inside a car
>>
shoot a clown core music video inside a porta potty
>>
take pictures of the sky at night
>>
get really low to the ground and make people look super tall
>>
closeup sloppy deepthroat slime where everything looks pink and pastel colors and the guys cock is already huge but now its filling half the screen and bending with the barrel distortion and the girl is gagging and trying not to puke
>>
>it's literally only for skateboarding videos i saw when i was 15
okay so film that then don't get wacked in the face by a guys dick
>>
I bought this lens to use with a metabones speedbooster, but the top and bottom is slightly cut at 8mm so i don't get a full circular fisheye. What gives?
>>
>>4312640
What are you mounting it on?
>>
>>4312341
>everything looks pink and pastel colors
Have any examples?
>>
>>4312643
R7. Could it be that the speedbooster's optical design is meant for 1.5x crop and not 1.6 and that being this wide it just shows its limitations? Haven't had any issues with other EF glass.
>>
>>4312651
APS-C
>>
>>4312652
well duh
>>
>>4312651
>Could it be that the speedbooster's optical design is meant for 1.5x crop and not 1.6
Possibly.
Does it improve when you stop down?
>>
>>4312654
Nope.
>>
>>4312657
Do you see cropping on any of your other lenses or can you tell?
>>
File: crop.png (366 KB, 696x670)
366 KB
366 KB PNG
>>4312653
>>
>>4312658
Don't think i have any more EF glass laying around at the moment, but i have previously used an EF 50mm 1.4 without issue.
>>
Should also note that i have used a bunch of m42 lenses in a variety of focal lenghts on the speedbooster as well without issue.
>>
>>4312341
Did you type an AI prompt into the wrong webpage?
>>
>>4312659
Did you not see the part about it being with the use of a speed booster?
>>
File: s65.jpg (3.14 MB, 2456x3659)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB JPG
I have the lens in OP pic. It's a huge novelty. I carry it with me everywhere and never use it. Cool for video.

You need a nice landscape in every degree around you, and something attractive right in the middle, very close to the camera, that doesn't look weird when its distorted. Pic unrelated on 800T, zoomed in just enough to loose the black circles which is probably 11mm ish.

>>4311193
full black circle fisheye vs very wide angle lens with slight distortion. for autofocus, why not? thing still needs to focus.

if any of you actually want to know about it, shoot
>>
>>4311172
Fisheye lens is used extensively in adult videos, crodie.
>>
File: 7Q0A4768.jpg (3.51 MB, 3433x5150)
3.51 MB
3.51 MB JPG
>>4312775
as is tradition on /pee/, we also use them for dog pics

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS R
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2020:04:19 07:49:10
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length12.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3433
Image Height5150
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
Unique Image ID3fcd874899fb58a3defb6f9562dfe8fa
>>
File: calc.jpg (5 KB, 140x156)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>4312771

so what? Why are you spending money on shit if you don't know how it works?
>>
File: calc2.png (2 KB, 118x165)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>4312797
>>4312771

And if you're using 8mm eq. (5mm) then it's still 1.18mm over the minimum size for APS-C without the horizontal crop
>>
>>4312797
>so what? Why are you spending money on shit if you don't know how it works?
I got a good deal for the fisheye. No problem flipping it for a profit later on, same with the speed booster, bought it on a giga sale right after Canon started going after third parties. I will eventually buy fool frame, but the current Canon lineup isn't that interesting, so this is what i am stuck with.
Camera reads it at 6mm at the widest.
>>
>>4311342
>as for the reviews, nobody ever talks about just how bad the fujifilm x app is, the half resolution raws, arbitrarily missing controls during video and half retarded menu design

I feel this way about Blackmagic. Everyone shills the raw capabilities, menus and resolutions yet no one really talks about how their cameras have consistently some of the worst rolling shutter on moder cameras (22ms on an APS-C camera btw), how they suffer from awful aliasing and moiré
>>
>>4311358
With an underwater housing.
There are many makes and models like ikelite, Isotta, Aquatica etc that either mill the bulkheads from solid block of Aluminium or cured epoxy/ Acrylics.
Unironically, to answer >>4311193
The 8-15mm makes for an amazing underwater lens, very popular among wildlife photographers, surf photographers as well as cave and wreck divers. Its minimum focus distance and ability to take over-under shots make it an absolute weapon.

Autofocus is absolutely necessary for water related stuff generally, mainly since its impractical to make an additional focus mechanism in the porting. Housings are already super specific to make/model/lens type plus its eyewateringly expensive, youre talking $275 for a zoom gear. $850 for a lens porting.

Also you move around in the surf/surge... and youve got additional optical elements (acrylic viewfinder + your mask) that throw off your accuracy if MF.
Back button focus is your friend.

In super macro though, MF has its merits, but you basically have to plant the camera in the one spot with at least 3 points of contact to the reef/sand/seawall etc

T. Underwater photographer that uses
8-15mm often.
>>
>>4312644
i was thinking of the one with violet monroe but its a pretty common style now i think
>>
>>4312671
I don't know anything about that stupid garbage but if you manage to run that as a prompt somewhere let me know what happens
>>
It's not that photographers with fisheyes choose to shoot skateboarders, it's that photographers who shoot skateboarders choose to use fisheyes. You're talking about a piece of gear that most people don't see the need to buy.
>>
>>4313034
>T. Underwater photographer that uses
>8-15mm often.
That's dope. You share your work often? I'd love to dive and take photos but the housing is so pricey.
>>
>>4313078
Search for fisheye lens on youtube.
>>
>>4311172
The fisheye/wideangle look probably come mostly fro action cameras, not those $2000 astrophotography monstrosities
>>
>>4313078
Mountain biking photogs used to do this too in the 80s/90s, until we realizxed a whole or mag of fisheye makes ppl nauseas
>>
>>4313238
Ah yes, the popular 1995 gopro model, Hero -19
>>
File: 208A1851 (1).jpg (1.06 MB, 2048x1367)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>4313123
>You share your work often?
No, not often. I lurk but rarely post.

>>4313123
>the housing is so pricey
Get 2nd hand, alot of people leave the sport and sell camera stuff frequently.
Pick a camera body and stick to it for a few years.
5DMk 3 housing for example can also house 5DSR and 5Dmk 4 (with some tweaking) because all the main button placements are similar.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Lightroom 9.2.2 (Android)
Image Created2024:05:14 22:14:14
>>
File: 208A7738-Enhanced-NR (4).jpg (373 KB, 1366x2048)
373 KB
373 KB JPG
>>4313123
>I'd love to dive and take photos

Also learn to master buoyancy, before taking a camera. It'll help you get more winning shots than the latest camera equipment.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Lightroom 9.2.2 (Android)
Image Created2024:05:14 22:13:49
>>
>>4311172
Because fisheye is a massive gimmick that you can't really do a lot with? I've owned an 8mm lens for 10 years and never use it.
>>
>>4313681
Don't you know some skaters you can go photograph?
>>
File: IMG_2034.jpg (152 KB, 900x433)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>4313243
Interestingly enough, your post got me curious and they weren’t around that early, but the first model WAS a film camera in like 2003. Neat.

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width900
Image Height433
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
fisheyes are fun for concert photography
>>
>>4314802
yeah if you're on stage right up next to the guy or you're in a mosh pit or something that's cool
>>
>>4311172

Fisheye is too wide definition. Everithing that's not a rectilinear projection is considered a fisheye, but the difference between a stereographic and an orthographic lens is massive.
I like stereographic fisheyes.
Other projection are most suitable for different kind of post processing and to achieve weird effects.

Anyway, a significant problem with fisheyes is that they are really hard to use. Composition is very hard, but also exposing is hard due to the contrasts you can have in the frame. (Focusing other than infinity is messy, but it's not that common).

I use mine (cheap 7artisan 7.5mm stereographic) for architectural photography, but usually hdr is required :(
>>
>>4312163

Nice ChatGPT essay

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.