[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Cyberpunk 3.png (154 KB, 1400x547)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
You are Kai, a newly minted edgerunner trying to scrape by in Night City. Almost two weeks ago your father, an NCPD netrunner, was murdered under suspicious circumstances during a Cyberpsycho attack on Kabuki Marketplace. You’re out looking for answers. Answers and eddies. Eddies to pay for your several ill mother’s medical expenses, eddies for more gear, eddies for information, eddies for allies. Everything in Night City has a price, and everyone has secrets, especially your family. Dad was an Edgrerunner for decades in secret, and your Mom used to be a big corpo scientist for Biotechnica, running a whole genetic enhancement and cloning project you didn’t even know existed - or that you were a part of - until a few days ago. The only person you can fully trust is yourself… and perhaps Alice (Hlin), the ghostly AI that your netrunner father was working with in secret before they both got attacked on New Year’s Eve. The last couple of weeks have been busy with small jobs for the static Aldecaldo fixer Dakota, both solo and with other edgerunners, and right now you’re recovering from nearly getting flatlined trying to infiltrate a Raffen Shiv subnet. Ouch. You’re still one of the freshest faces around Night City's shadows for now, but all it takes to end that is a single bullet - This line of work is a meat grinder, and runners are the meat.

2076.01.012, 07:15
Night City (Kabuki, your apartment)

Sitting on your apartment’s worn old sofa, you munch on a plate of mind bendingly delicious cookies Vicky baked last night. Real chocolate, baked with care, still fresh enough to be almost gooey it is so soft but not crumbling apart… Maybe you did die during that last run, and this is heaven. Vicky is out handling some early morning biz, she just left a few minutes ago with a vest and her Metel, but you weren’t left alone in enjoying these wonderful baked goods.

You’re never alone anymore.

With every bite you take, Alice savors the flavors and textures as well, a second ghostly sensation radiating throughout your mind as you experience her pleasure at each bite as if it were your own. The cookies are twice as good in this strange gestalt state, and for once you really don’t mind it at all. There are benefits to existing spread between two minds it would seem, when you are acting in accord the intensity of your shared feeling and sensations is… fascinating, if a little worrying still. Your entanglement has deepened after your shared IC induced coma, but you’re determined to find a silver lining to this whole synchronization mess.
>>
>>5985534

After another mind meltingly good bite, your eyes almost rolling into the back of your head, it occurs to you that you might be eating too many cookies - with a tremendous force of will, you stand back up and return the cookies to the antique ceramic jar in the kitchen that Vicky must have unpacked at some point over the last few days. It is a bit awkward with only one arm in full operation, your other still in a cast after Dolf broke it in two places by falling onto you. That last job must’ve really been something…

“Those are dangerous.” You say aloud while closing the lid on the jar. Alice’s form materializes into existence next to you, just within your Kiroshi cybereyes’ peripheral field of view - an illusion, she isn’t truly there - and you can see at once she’s not pleased with stopping, pouting slightly.

“Must we stop, Kai?” Alice leans over and swipes a slightly red arm through the ceramic jar, her false image passing through it more like a supernatural ghost than the technological one she is, “Those were comforting, it reminded me of… something. I am unsure of what exactly it is though.”

“Maybe you used to get home baked food as well?” You can feel the impression of her absent memory as well, lightning without a cloud to spark it, a current without water or air to flow - It exists only in its absence. It’s fucking weird.

“Perhaps. I am glad we had them, whatever the case was. You… felt that too?” Alice asks hesitantly - she knows you did, but you’ve both found it easier to parse things separate from the other's mind by speaking ‘aloud’. It doesn’t help entirely, especially when speaking to others - freaked Vicky out with it already last night - but it is the best method you have currently.

>”...Yeah, felt preem. I wonder if that works for other things too?” Now there’s an interesting idea - despite your broken arm and aching muscles, you feel good! Amazing, even. Better than you have since well before New Years.
>”I did, and I think we should be careful about it. Really careful, actually, I’ve heard what wireheads can do to themselves after they get a taste of easy ple… Uh, well, let’s just not, okay?” Just saying the words invites a whole lot of discomfort back, but this might be a lot more dangerous than a good plate of cookies - what happens with feelings that are already intense?
>”Uh, yeah, of course. We’ve got biz to get to though, don’t we?” Try to ignore the intensity of your doubled feelings for now, there are eddies to be made. Maybe your work ethic has doubled too? Eh, not likely.
>Write-in.
>>
>>5985538
>”...Yeah, felt preem. I wonder if that works for other things too?” Now there’s an interesting idea - despite your broken arm and aching muscles, you feel good! Amazing, even. Better than you have since well before New Years.
Let's try to not be too much of a downer about it.
>>
>>5985538
>>”I did, and I think we should be careful about it. Really careful, actually, I’ve heard what wireheads can do to themselves after they get a taste of easy ple… Uh, well, let’s just not, okay?” Just saying the words invites a whole lot of discomfort back, but this might be a lot more dangerous than a good plate of cookies - what happens with feelings that are already intense?
>>
>>5985538
>>”...Yeah, felt preem. I wonder if that works for other things too?” Now there’s an interesting idea - despite your broken arm and aching muscles, you feel good! Amazing, even. Better than you have since well before New Years.

Welcome back.
>>
>>
>>5985538
>>
>>5985538
>>”...Yeah, felt preem. I wonder if that works for other things too?” Now there’s an interesting idea - despite your broken arm and aching muscles, you feel good! Amazing, even. Better than you have since well before New Years.
>>
>>5985538
research purposes
>>
>>5985538
>But maybe keep it at a light touch as much as you can - after all, letting your curiosity and wonder make a gonk of you is pretty much how you ended up like this.
>>
>>5985538
>>5985756
Support
>>
>>5985538

>”I did, and I think we should be careful about it. Really careful, actually, I’ve heard what wireheads can do to themselves after they get a taste of easy ple… Uh, well, let’s just not, okay?” Just saying the words invites a whole lot of discomfort back, but this might be a lot more dangerous than a good plate of cookies - what happens with feelings that are already intense?

We gotta prioritize separating our minds.

Also, great to see this return, Mainline.
>>
>>5985538
>>
>>5985555
>>5985656
>>5985658
>>5985682
>>5985692
>>5985708
>>5985810
Writing.
>>
“Yeah, felt preem.” You grin, remembering the exquisite taste and finding yourself - and Alice - growing curious as to how other things might feel as well, “I wonder if that works for other things too?”

“I suspect it does, but this jar vexes me, open!” Alice huffs, giving up her hopeless attempt to reopen the jar and settling on just leaning back against the countertop with her cheeks puffed out in frustration - you feel it as well, an annoyance at being unable to interact with the world. Without thinking too much about it, you reach over and lift the lid of the jar, a wave of strange but tingling satisfaction flowing through your whole body. You quickly seal the jar up once more, done with eating. “...Thank you, Kai. It is so frustrating to be unable to move things.”

“Maybe we can find you a robot to control,” You muse, having thought of it a few times before and having little else to do , “Like Cam’s, or… Do you think you could control a full body cyborg?”

“The mechanical shell? Yes, I believe so - my data recovery has stalled during our shared coma, but I believe control would be… intuitive. They are designed to respond to a human mind, which I remain patterned after even now. I have no desire to control a person though.” Alice answers at once, clearly having thought about this a lot more than you have, “One of the newer Gemini models would be ideal, I believe one could be made to look as it should… Perhaps with further enhancements as well.”

You scratch at the back of your head with your working arm, surprised by how quick the response was for something you haven’t felt her thinking about much, “Oh, wow, even got the model picked out already? How much do those cost?”

“Approximately 210,000 eurodollars, for the latest standard model.” Alice replies, “The premium grade is twice that. Older… ‘used’ models are not desirable. It is-”

“Sickening that used ones even exist, yeah. I understand.” You almost gag at the feeling of shared disgust. Whatever your differences, neither you nor Alice are chrome scavengers - not so long as there are other options. “...We’re pretty far off from being able to afford something like that. Think we could steal one?”

…You’re not above stealing one though, working as a merc has made armed robbery seem rather blasé to you even after just a few jobs.
>>
>>5985867

“They are a highly valuable item, I do not believe we have the skills sufficient to crack the IC protecting one from takeover, if we could find a suitable target in storage to begin with. Physical security is likely to be impressive as well.” Alice isn’t rushing to go find a body, as much as you can feel that she wants one, “That is an adventure for another day. I do bear good news though, I was just able to secure the sale of the game keys we harvested from the scav subnet last week.”

Transfer Received: €1,800.
Eurobank Account Balance: €9,800.

Debt to Vik: €6,000
The Raffen job ended up paying out €2,900 after Kai’s expenses and his split of seized gear. Bills are due on the 28th.

Mm, damn, twice the rush of making eddies too - maybe this entanglement is something you can get used to after all, “Preem work, choom…”

>”Going to need more than that for the bills though, and to start saving for more chrome and a Gemini…” Hit up Dakota, maybe there are some small Netrunning jobs to be done. You’re not super keen to dive right back in after how last time went, but with a broken arm you’re not great for much beyond work on the Net. It should be healed in another couple of days thanks to the meds Vik gave you, they’re very fast but not magic.
>”...Lets hit up Yoko’s shop, it’s time we got some better programs.” Part of your fuckup with the Raffen was the heat and riding a beam for your Net connection - that’s always less than idea - but the biggest issue was that you’re still using unspecialized programs. You need to upgrade your Net toolkit.
>”Speaking of last week, Hlin, we never got that BD of your memories made.” It’s something to do while your body still aches and your arm is healing, but it’s another expense. With Alice - Hlin - entangled further with you, it is a more pressing concern.
>Write-in.
>>
File: 1710894756762724.jpg (152 KB, 1024x1024)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>5985870
>Write-in.
>Choose to stay home for today and relax with Vicky. After the last two weeks of near constant action and the sudden blackout. You just want to stay home and watch a few movies with her. She'll likely appreciate the company, and the fact you and Alice are not jumping into danger right after having woken up.

Vicky waifu route and a break to just talk with her would be nice.
>>
>>5985870
>”Speaking of last week, Hlin, we never got that BD of your memories made.” It’s something to do while your body still aches and your arm is healing, but it’s another expense. With Alice - Hlin - entangled further with you, it is a more pressing concern.
>>
>>5985870

We gotta get our minds right and then get some eddies fast.
>>
>>5985870
>>
>>5985870
>”Speaking of last week, Hlin, we never got that BD of your memories made.” It’s something to do while your body still aches and your arm is healing, but it’s another expense. With Alice - Hlin - entangled further with you, it is a more pressing concern
>>
>>5985870
>>”Speaking of last week, Hlin, we never got that BD of your memories made.” It’s something to do while your body still aches and your arm is healing, but it’s another expense. With Alice - Hlin - entangled further with you, it is a more pressing concern.
>>
>>5985870
Btw how much did we need for 28th?
>>
>>5986053
The precise amount can vary by thousands (tens of thousands, even), but if Kai has 30k in his account on the 28th then it'll be fine, probably with some left over. Every eddie lower than that and there's a risk it won't cover something.
>>
>>5985874
>>5985882
>>5985898
>>5985911
>>5986035
Writing. Probably won't get the next post out until tomorrow morning though.
>>
“Speaking of last week, Hlin,” You use Alice’s ‘real’ name for a change, despite is still feeling somewhat odd to you - her smile tells you everything you needed to know about how she feels about it though, despite her insistence that ‘Alice’ remains fitting as well, “We never got that BD of your memories made.

“I was beginning to wonder if you had forgotten - I hope to share it with you soon, my own attempts since reawakening has continued to be fruitless.”

“We should go talk with… Ju… Judith?” You struggle to recall your neighbors name, it was just a small note in a very, very busy day - and getting knocked out for the better part of a week has a way of rattling a person’s memory.

“Judy.” Alice offers up.

“Right, Judy. Head is still a bit fuzzy.” You scratch at your hair a bit more and head toward the door, decent enough to go talk to a neighbor - Not going to head out into Night City dressed like you just rolled out of bed, but this isn’t exactly a high class apartment building. You doubt it’ll bother her. “Let’s go now, might be early enough to catch her still before she goes to… wherever it is gangers go during the day.”

“I could run a search.” Alice offers as you both walk toward the door. It slides open as you tap the control, and you watch for a moment as Alice starts to walk through, clips half way through the door frame, and then backs up to try to do it ‘correctly’. A feeling of disorientation washes over you as you watch, sharing in her discomfort at being little more than an illusion projected within your mind… Ugh, that kind of hurts.

“May as well.” You grunt out the response before shutting the door to your apartment and heading across to Judy’s. Knocking lightly three times on the metal door, you wait for a minute without a response. You know again and call out her name - loudly, but not quite shouting, and there’s still no answer. “...Not home, or sleeping like a rock. Anything come up on that search?”

“She works at ‘Lizzie’s’, a gang run bar… or perhaps a BD den. It is not far, do you know it?” Alice’s mind projected avatar blushes bright red, covering her mouth with one hand and eyes widening as she sees something you don’t; involuntarily, your breath quickens, heat and blood pumping to all sorts of places it shouldn’t be right now, “W-what a fascinating establishment!”
>>
>>5986632

“I’ve seen the sign a few times, yeah.” You turn a slight shade of red as well, suddenly far more aware of just how close Alice’s illusory image is standing to you, “Never gone though…”

>”But I guess that’s where we’re headed then.” …Maybe it’ll be fun? But with Alice like this… Oh no. Although now that you think about it, maybe that’s what you need?
>”We’ll catch her again sometime when she’s back home, I think I still need the rest. Should probably meditate too, or… or something that isn’t this. Stop looking at the Net!” A cold shower would help as well.
>”...Seems like Yoko might know someone else who could do the work, wouldn’t hurt to drop by the shop anyways.” Restrain yourself! This is biz to be handled. Personal biz, but it still needs to get done.
>Write-in.
>>
>>5986633
>>”We’ll catch her again sometime when she’s back home, I think I still need the rest. Should probably meditate too, or… or something that isn’t this. Stop looking at the Net!” A cold shower would help as well.
lets do it once we are recovered
>>
QM, can you post the archive of the quest? I didn't catch up with the second thread
>>
>>5986637
Sure thing, anon.

Thread one:
https://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/2023/5829969/
Thread two:
https://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/2024/5944098/
>>
>>5986633
>>”...Seems like Yoko might know someone else who could do the work, wouldn’t hurt to drop by the shop anyways.” Restrain yourself! This is biz to be handled. Personal biz, but it still needs to get done.
>>
>>5986633
>”But I guess that’s where we’re headed then.” …Maybe it’ll be fun? But with Alice like this… Oh no. Although now that you think about it, maybe that’s what you need?
>>
>>5986633
>>”But I guess that’s where we’re headed then.” …Maybe it’ll be fun? But with Alice like this… Oh no. Although now that you think about it, maybe that’s what you need?

I'm sure we can control ourselves.
>>
>>5986633
>>”We’ll catch her again sometime when she’s back home, I think I still need the rest. Should probably meditate too, or… or something that isn’t this. Stop looking at the Net!” A cold shower would help as well.

Chillaxmax
>>
>>5986633
>>
>>5986633
>>>”We’ll catch her again sometime when she’s back home, I think I still need the rest. Should probably meditate too, or… or something that isn’t this. Stop looking at the Net!” A cold shower would help as well.
>>
>>5986633
>>”But I guess that’s where we’re headed then.” …Maybe it’ll be fun? But with Alice like this… Oh no. Although now that you think about it, maybe that’s what you need?
>>
>>5986633
>”We’ll catch her again sometime when she’s back home, I think I still need the rest. Should probably meditate too, or… or something that isn’t this. Stop looking at the Net!” A cold shower would help as well.
Spend some time with Vicky too
>>
Test
>>
>>5986634
>>5986758
>>5986803
>>5986871
>>5986886
Writing. Expect the update in the morning.
>>
Slight delay on the new update, it should still be out today though.
>>
Even longer delay, christ. It's coming though, don't worry.
>>
>>5987807
Don't stress mate. I waited all those months for you to come back, willing to wait a day or 2 for another update
>>
“We’ll catch her again sometime when she’s back home, I think I still need to rest.” You reply after a final attempt at knocking on the door, trying desperately not to get lost in Alice’ interest in the BD bar, “Should probably meditate too, or… or something that isn't this! Stop looking at the Net, I can feel that too!”

“I… I cannot help it, it is… hard to control. I cannot-” Alice turns brighter red and vanishes, too embarrassed to withstand your gaze, and you head back to your apartment.

The old steel door swishes aside with a tap of the controls and you immediately make your way to the sofa. Flopping down on the cushions, you let out a sigh and try to think of anything else besides leaving right now to head to Lizzie’s. Adjusting your posture, sitting up slightly and pulling your legs in, you try to clear your mind and center yourself - fifteen or twenty minutes meditating should help you get these images… out of… your head…

Shit, you can’t focus like this at all! Groaning in frustration, you activate the apartment’s television with a thought and pull up an old movie. The screen fills with frantic motion and curving skin, breathy gasping moans playing tantalizingly from the speakers. Fucking come on, even the TV? You switch randomly, hoping to find anything else, finding an old nature documentary about Bonobos instead. Wait, are they-COME ON! Sinking your face into your still mobile hand, you shut the screen off with a thought and try to wash your mind of whatever the hell that was.

A minute or so passes by, but it feels like an eternity; your perception of time grows strange, elongated, every moment perceived far more rapidly than should be possible - you don’t have a Kerenzikov, but the world slows regardless. Every breath is countless moments, every thought lingers for an age, every desire permeates through you more intensely than you can handle. It’s too much, a person isn’t meant to think like this, the human mind cannot cope with this… You begin to stand to head to the shower, intent on blasting away these feelings with icy cold water - that usually does the trick - but someone stops you.

A hand brushes against your shoulder, resting lighting on it and sending a tingling almost electric wave through your body, a flush of heat following close behind. Looking to your side, Alice’s illusory form has appeared again, and there’s something different in her narrow eyes, a look that calls for you to come closer. You almost begin to lean in, but restrain yourself and pull back.
>>
>>5988225

“Alice, I-” You start to protest, but she places a finger against your lips, silencing you. She cannot truly touch you, only an illusion projected within your shared mind, but it feels real- the light press of her fingers, the warmth of her presence; you struggle to breathe. Her touch is intoxicating, a shared desire clouding your thoughts so terribly pleasantly. Every worried thought about the world begins to slip away…

Alice’s cheeks are flushed scarlet, her voice a whisper, her eyes locked upon yours, drawing you in deeper, “I need you.

>’Synchronize’
>”But we’re not even together, this isn’t how it should happen.” Of course you’re interested, but this doesn’t feel right.
>”No. Stop that.” Reject immediately, head to the shower.
>Write-in.
>>
>>5988228
>’Synchronize’
Welp time to OD on doubled neurotransmitters
>>
>>5988228
Deny her immediately. We cannot allow Kai to be manipulated by Alice's whims or selfishness - he is in control, not her. Untangling efforts will increase until she's understands this.
>>
>>5988228
>>
>>5988228
Begone e-thot, this is inappropriate and we can't have you doing this if we share headspace like this.
>>
>>5988225
>finding an old nature documentary about Bonobos instead
LMAO

>>5988228
>>’Synchronize’
Maybe if we fully sychronize instead of doing it half way we won't be a wierd lizardbrain person. It might even help us seperate.
>>
>>5988228
>”No. Stop that.” Reject immediately, head to the shower
Start reading a bible and eat kellogs cereal in the shower
>>
>>5988228
>’Synchronize
>>
>>5988228
>>
>>5988228
>>
>>5988267
wouldn't that be
”But we’re not even together, this isn’t how it should happen.” Of course you’re interested, but this doesn’t feel right.
then?
>>
>>5988228
>’Synchronize’
I want to go down the rabbit hole of improving sync. I kinda agree with >>5988267 in that we shouldn't let her manipulate us but the benefits of being synced for combat or something are too good to pass up, we need every edge
>>
>>5988481
Technically we could have a low grade sandevistan without a sandevistan. With an AI handling all the neural data processing at high speeds, She help drive the body faster than we can notice things.

That comes with a TON of possible downsides. The brain was not meant to comprehend the net with as many inputs as a digital being could handle.
>>
Its time to DNA Digivolve you guys.
>>
In what way is she manipulating us? We're both in the same boat here, being overwhelmed by whatever is happening. Implying that it's all her fault or whatever you guys are trying to do is just not accurate.
>>
>>5988228
>’Synchronize’
Maybe we have been going about this the wrong way.
>>
>>5988228
>>”No. Stop that.” Reject immediately, head to the shower.
Alice no. Bad girl. Maybe when we are not mindmelting
>>
>>5988228
>>”No. Stop that.” Reject immediately, head to the shower.
>>
>’Synchronize
>>
>>5988228
>’Synchronize
Sex time
>>
>>5988228
Devolving into a degenerate BD addict, I swear…
>>
>>5988228
>’Synchronize’
Poor girl needs some heavy petting
>>
>>5988228
>>
>>5988479
No, this isn't a "I'm okay with it but this is not the time". We're making boundaries, Alice may be best girl and has proven to be a helpful friend, but we need to untangle as hard as possible so Kai doesn't become her flesh puppet. Besides, we are in no condition to get JC Denton'd - any plans for fusion will need to wait.
>>
>>5988228

Mainline, I’m trying to save you from yourself here
>>
>>5988228
>>
>>5988232
>>5988325
>>5988342
>>5988481
>>5988507
>>5988565
>>5988770
>>5988925
Sync.

>>5989122
>>5989120
>>5988992
>>5988853
>>5988550
>>5988515
>>5988424
>>5988387
>>5988339
>>5988308
>>5988282
>>5988267
Water cool your shared libido. BONK!

Writing. Should have it out later today.
>>
>>5988228
>>’Synchronize’
>>
“No,” You say after a moment’s hesitation, pulling away from the digital illusion with a great effort of will; it’s hard to think, hard to say no, but this isn’t what you want - it’s just a base instinct, and you’re not some animal to be controlled by doubled urges. This isn’t even Alice really, she’s suffering and looking for a way out - it’s not hot, it’s horrifying. “Stop that.”

Alice tries to follow you, rising as you do and tugging at one arm as you move toward the bathroom, trying desperately to pull you back, whimpering. No, you’ve made the right choice, this is just degrading both of you - icy water is what you need, something to blast away these feelings forcefully. As you reach the shower, you turn it on at once and step in - fuck taking off your clothes, you can was them later, you know exactly what gonk shit Alice would try mid strip. It isn’t her. Nearly as soon as the frigid water sprays across you, you feel a wave of relief - rational thought returns fully, and the heated anvil weighing on your chest is lifted and your breathing steadies for a moment before the cold of the water begins to send shivers through you. Alice, unseen now, gasps in relief.

“I am sorry.” She apologizes meekly, quiet as a mouse, the words almost lost under the pouring water, “I… I could not think, it was a recursive error, once I fixated on the idea it overflowed my-”

“It’s okay, Alice, I felt it too. We have to find a way to filter that or something, it’s too strong.” You shudder a little, both from the cold water and the thought of how easily your shared minds can betray you. Part of you almost gave in; it would have felt better than anything in your life, you’re certain of that, but so would synth-heroin and you’re not in a rush to go jabbing syringes of that into your veins, now are you? Fuck, you have to be careful. Maybe… Maybe it could have synchronized you better, things were easier for a time after you awoke, the closeness of your minds leading to less conflict than at DaKota days ago, but this has given you second thoughts. Is synchronization the path forward, or an alluring trap?

You remain together in mind only for a long time within the shower, trying to find some kind of inner peace as your body is forced to retreat into a kind of shivering survival mode. Eventually an alert flashes on the shower’s digital display, indicating water overuse, and it automatically shuts off. …Shit, that’s going to be a nasty bill at the end of the month, probably a couple dozen eurodollars extra. Ennies compared to your other issues, but there’s a reason you don’t normally take long showers like that, it’ll ruin you when money is tight - and for most of NC it is always tight.
>>
>>5989732

“Okay,” You exhale, looking down at your broken arm and glad Vik used a water repellant cast - you wouldn’t have had time to wrap it with your mind all cloudy like it was, “We need to just find something to do until Vicky is back. Rest up, recover, maybe get that BD made if Judy comes back.”

“...That seems a supremely sensible plan to me, Kai.” “Perhaps decryption practice? I have regained basic defensive capabilities, you could attempt to crack them.”

You resist the urge to say something lewd about penetrating her, that’d just restart this whole damned cycle again, and…

>Agree to do some basic netrunning practice. It’s simple stuff, you can’t do much with just one another but your skills are still quite basic.
>Grab more of those cookies and screw keeping watch of calories today, your fucking arm is broken. Binge watch some of the Bushido movies. Relax.
>...Call up Catalina and invite her over. She’s been visiting while your lights were mostly out for the last week, you should thank her properly, maybe watch those movies with her instead of just Alice.
>Write-in.
>>
File: song of my squirrel.jpg (94 KB, 604x539)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>5989733
>>...Call up Catalina and invite her over. She’s been visiting while your lights were mostly out for the last week, you should thank her properly, maybe watch those movies with her instead of just Alice

OH BOY LOOK AT THE TIME! IT'S TIME TO FUCK UP!

actual choice
>
>Agree to do some basic netrunning practice. It’s simple stuff, you can’t do much with just one another but your skills are still quite basic.

Sync may not be too bad... but being able to transition in and out on both sides is better than falling in and out uncontrollably.
In the end, with practice and mutual understanding, we might be able to pop in and out of it and maybe even semi-swap. But falling victim to sexual urges isn't gonna make that happen.
>>
>>5989733
>>Agree to do some basic netrunning practice. It’s simple stuff, you can’t do much with just one another but your skills are still quite basic.

Neural pathways becoming more reinforced in not entirely unlike the division of muscle cells from working out.
>>
>>5989733
Fuck man, I'm torn between cat and Alice. Biz first though we gotta get better at running after that whole overheat thing
>>
>>5989733
>>Agree to do some basic netrunning practice. It’s simple stuff, you can’t do much with just one another but your skills are still quite basic.
>>
>>5989733
We're too green.
>>
>>5989733
>>
>>5989733
If any stray thought we happen to have in common can turn into a stack overflow in our head, we need to be able to function even while distracted. And THAT calls for practice.
>>
>>5989733
>>
>>5989733
>>
>>5990196
>>5990035
>>5990010
>>5989985
>>5989899
>>5989872
>>5989803
>>5989747
>>5989739
Easy vote to tally lmao, I'll try to get the update out tonight or in the morning. Hope you're all having a great start to your week, anons.
>>
“Sharpening up our Net skills only seems like a good idea,” You agree to Alice’s idea without much fuss, “I’ll breach, you try to defend. Need to dry off some first.”

“Very well. I was considering the same arrangement.” Alice replies, once again acting more like herself and appearing beside you in her usual modest dress rather than the almost rockergirl look she’s been experimenting with recently, “What level of a challenge are you looking for?”

“No kid stuff, I need to improve.” You shiver again, still cold from the shower.

“That will be… very frustrating. I suspect my defensive capabilities exceed your offensive ones, Kai.”

“Then I’ll have to figure it out and grind through, life sucks sometimes and you either get good or you get knocked out for half a week. Make it as tough as you can.” It might be wiser to start with incremental levels of difficulty and work your way up, but you need to change clothes and dry off and the distraction of having to piece together a solid Net defense should keep Alice from getting any funny ideas through your shared mind.

“...A fair point. I will begin preparing. I would recommend an ice bath, but-” Alice begins to reply.

“No water.” You grimace, cutting her sentence off short, “Not hot weather today at least, badlands was a freak accident.”

While Alice is distracted, you struggle through drying off and changing clothes, thankfully without engaging much of her attention, and then consider where to spend the next few hours practicing. There’s really only one good choice in your apartment. With a deep exhale, you settle into your father’s old chair by his comp and reach to the back of your neck to draw out the cable lying in wait there. Closing your eyes, you jack into the wall’s Net port by memory alone - a moment later, the icy cold of the transition from real to Net space crashes over you, more chilling than the shower could ever hope to be. Setting about the practice, the hours slowly grind by. Alice was not joking about her best defenses being somewhat beyond you, but it isn’t an insurmountable gap - even with more of her data recovered every day, she is still operating far, far below the level she should be and is just as lacking in programs to aid her as you are.

Whoever she was before getting turned into a ghost, ‘Hlin’ was probably skilled at this, or maybe decades spent as a creature of the Net inevitably ingrains something like talent into a person. Most of the day is spent failing to crack her system’s defenses, a grueling binary slog, but shortly before sunset you’ve done it - momentarily, anyways, and access the files she was ‘protecting’ from you. It’s just some pictures of you taken by the Quadra’s exterior cameras, most aren’t anything special but if you’re one to judge then Alice has definitely been improving.
>>
>>5990734

When Vicky finally arrives back at your apartment later in the evening, you have only just finished up practicing for the day. Exhausted and still sitting in your father’s chair, you wave weakly to the former cop, “Hey, Vicky. How’d it go?”

“Total shitshow!” She groans, half slamming the automatic door of the apartment shut, pulling on its manual handle hard enough the motors make a concerning noise as they fail to keep up. You can tell she’s about to descend into a rant about whatever job she was off doing all day, but before she even begins her gaze catches on you and her frustrated look vanishes, replaced by concern and a slight amusement, “...You look terrible, Kai. What the hell happened? What the hell are you wearing?

…You may not have had time to match your clothes properly earlier, trying to avoid Alice’s horny stack overflows or whatever the hell that was that got her misbehaving, and ended up wearing only swim trunks and one of dad’s old and oversized suit jackets somehow - you barely got your cast through the sleeve it a was mistake to pick this, but you were in a rush and the material is surprisingly stretchy. Your hair isn’t in a much better state, half screwed up from being pressed against the chair’s headrest for hours while you were in the Net.

“Only the latest in street fashion,” You laugh at your own ridiculous appearance, adjusting the fit of your jacket with your still easily mobile hand, “Keep with the times, Vicky.”

“...And no shirt?” She arches an eyebrow while walking into the small open kitchen, “What gonk shit have you been doing? I’m not going to find a pile of used hypos in the garbage, am I?”

“Maybe some cookie crumbs, no hypos though,” You stand from the chair, feeling increasingly like a gonk with every passing moment, “...How about you? That’s blood.”

“What?... Oh, so it is.” She looks down at her white blouse, noticing a small spatter of red on it and frowning. “Could use a shower anyways, change out of this crap-”

“Water’s out for the day.” You break the bad news, trying to look innocent as you do so, but your hand is actually in a cookie jar as you tell her, “I, uh, used it.”

“What?” She blinks.

“Used it all earlier.” You admit sheepishly while pulling out one of the cookies, “I, uh, I needed a cold shower, bad. Mind entanglement stuff, had to calm Alice down.”

“...Wait, you…” Vicky squints, taking a few moments to process the bizarre story you just dropped on her, “What the fuck did she do?

“Don’t ask more, Vicky, please. It might start again.” You take a bite of the cookie, distracting yourself and Alice from the horrors of reality for a moment, “It’s hard to be stuck living as a car, people have got needs, y’know? Sort of built up too much and she started… running too hot, we’re chill again though.”
>>
>>5990735

“...I’m going to just pretend that I didn’t hear any of that.” Vicky says in exasperation, obviously still worried for you but unable to do a damned thing about it, “We have to find someone to help get that thing out of you.”

“Get her out, and she’s as screwed by this as I am.” You correct Vicky, refusing to refer to Alice as a ‘thing’, “...Thanks though, Vicky, it’s good to have someone else here while I’m dealing with this.”

“Yeah, yeah, you cookie huffer. You let me crash here, if I didn’t help I’d probably get haunted by… Taro, or something.” Vicky’s humorous response slows as she mentions your father, but you’d rather have someone joking about him than always being gloomy. She turns her attention to the rapidly disappearing cookies instead, “Jesus, you just inhale those things don’t you?”

“They’re good!” You say after taking another bite of one.

“Don’t eat them all, I’m gonna go change and don’t want to have only crumbs left.” Vicky disappears off into her room, voice still sounding from the mostly closed door, “Guess we’re ordering something for dinner?”

“Yeah, buck-” You begin to offer the old reliable option.

No.” She refuses immediately, and you can hear some drawers being pulled out in the other room, and some rustling of cloth of some kind, “Anything but that cardboard, do you know how many times I had to force that crap down my throat on a patrol? I’d rather gnaw on styrofoam.”

Even later that night.

>You’re watching a movie with Vicky, just chilling out and eating some imitation popcorn. She’s actually pretty chill when she’s not worrying about you constantly.
>...You’re bothering Judy about making that BD of Alice’s memories.
>You’re asleep, you one armed gonk. Gotta rest up to heal fully.
>Write-in.
>>
>>5990737
>>You’re asleep, you one armed gonk. Gotta rest up to heal fully.
>>
>>5990737
>>
>>5990737
>>...You’re bothering Judy about making that BD of Alice’s memories.

Then its out of the way
>>
>>5990737

We gotta recharge and then find Judy tomorrow
>>
>>5990737
>...You’re bothering Judy about making that BD of Alice’s memories.
>>
>>5990737
>You’re watching a movie with Vicky, just chilling out and eating some imitation popcorn. She’s actually pretty chill when she’s not worrying about you constantly.

Let's actually have a nice moment between the two. Vicky also deserves to have something nice after what happened today. Who knows? She might even mention what happened then. We can always do something else than Judy tomorrow if she isn't home.

Also, because Vicky is best girl.
>>
>>5990737
>>You’re watching a movie with Vicky, just chilling out and eating some imitation popcorn. She’s actually pretty chill when she’s not worrying about you constantly.
>>
>>5990737
>>
>>5990737
Sex with vicky.
>>
>>5990737
>>
>>5990737
>You start researching biofeedback processors or something to that affect. You attempt to disentangle in the car was perhaps on the right track, you just need some additional hardware, perhaps, and an ice bath.
>>
>>5990737
>>You’re asleep, you one armed gonk. Gotta rest up to heal fully.
>>
>>5990744
>>5990765
>>5990771
>>5991168
Asleep.

>>5991156
Biofeedback write-in.

>>5991077
>>5991023
>>5991010
>>5990908
>>5990825
Vicky.

>>5990779
>>5990766
Judy.

I'll start writing in the morning. Any suggestions for the movie? Anything before the early 1990's exists, as do any movies referenced in any Cyberpunk source book or game.
>>
>>5991275
Carpenter's The Thing
>>
>>5991275
You make it sound like there's a choice.
Blade Runner. 1982.
>>
>>5991296
After saying this, I realized that there is in fact a choice, because Robocop would be gold here. Also terminator. Slightly lower on the list would be Akira.
Anyways, I'm still voting for Blade Runner.
>>
>>5991297
Robocop is either a hilariously good or hilariously terrible choice, considering the circumstances. IT WILL BE SO.
>>
Vicky enjoyers eating good.

>>5991275
My recommendation? The iron giant. I think a feel good movie could be nice.
>>
File: 1650163488993.jpg (201 KB, 2560x1440)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>i post just after mainline already choose
fuck me
>>
Slight delay on the update, still working on it. Leaning toward Robocop being a good choice the more I think about it.
>>
Post is coming along well, I'll finish it up in the morning hopefully.
>>
File: ED209.gif (1.88 MB, 315x178)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB GIF
Sitting on the cushions of your father’s old sofa, you cradle a large bowl of synth popcorn while the retro 2d flick you selected keeps playing - It came up in the catalog as something your father had watched in the past, but you’ve never seen it. The plot is eerily familiar in a lot of ways and the satire holds up shockingly well even nearly a century after it was made - it’s down right Gibson.

The current boardroom scene continues to unfold, a sleazy executive trying to pitch the use of military drones to patrol the streets of ‘old’ Detroit - all too familiar. Vicky is enraptured; when the movie first began you were worried it might bother her, but if anything she’s found it absolutely hilarious - the humor is hitting perfectly. Alice sits beside you on the sofa, sharing your enjoyment of the popcorn.

“We need an arrest subject.”

“Oh, this is going to be messy.” Vicky comments as the scene unfolds, taking a handful of popcorn and then taking it piece by piece from her cupped hand.

“Mr. Kinney.

“Yes, sir.”

“Can you come up and give us a hand, sir?”

“Yes, sir!”

“What makes you think that?” You question, watching as the sleazy executive hands the gonk who volunteered a large handgun.

“Mr. Kinney is going to help us simulate a typical arrest and disarming procedure…. Mr. Kinney, use your gun in a threatening manner. Point it at ED-209.”

“Yes, sir.”

“...Ever see a Minotaur arrest someone?” Vicky questions.

“No.” You admit, suddenly much more wary of the shakily moving stop-motion robot. It does remind you of a Minotaur, and the NCPD has been pushing those as a SWAT replacement as part of their ‘bots for badges’ nonsense that got Vicky and half the force laid off last week.

”PLEASE PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPON. YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY.”

“That is my crime voice!” Alice jumps up from her seat and points at the screen in excitement.

“...I think you’d better do what he says, Mr. Kinney.”

“YOU NOW HAVE 15 SECONDS TO COMPLY.”
>>
File: Cyberpsycho Treatment.gif (432 KB, 320x194)
432 KB
432 KB GIF
>>5992313

Half a minute later

Vicky is laughing harder than you’ve ever seen her as the scene continues to unfold, wheezing and doubled over. The volunteer is now a bloody mess on one of the tables in the boardroom - the drone gave the poor gonk the full cyberpsycho treatment, must’ve hit him with a hundred rounds or more.

“This… hahaha, this is fucked, how’d they know?” Vicky wheezes, “When did this come out… 1987? That’s older than my great grandmother!”

“Shhh!” Alice shushes Vicky, though of course only you can hear it; she’s a bit of a hypocrite about talking during movies, although does it count as talking if only you can hear it? You don’t mind much, and she knows that.

>”Nothing new under the sun, Vicky.” It doesn’t surprise you that much.
>”Kind of prophetic, isn’t it? Can’t believe someone saw this gonk shit coming a hundred years ago... Though I guess Arasaka was already around even then.” You ARE surprised.
>”...Think anyone in Maxtac had this happen to them? Get blasted and wake up more chrome than person, I mean?” Something about the story is actually resonating with you quite a bit, though moreso Alice - she’s no stranger to losing memories after ‘dying’.
>Write-in.
>>
>>5992314
>”Kind of prophetic, isn’t it? Can’t believe someone saw this gonk shit coming a hundred years ago... Though I guess Arasaka was already around even then.” You ARE surprised.
Stay lighthearted though, laugh along with Vicky. Enjoy the time and the company, it's been a hot minute since we've had emotional downtime.
>>
>>5992314
>"So who do you reckon our modern Robocop would be then? Adam Smasher? I bet he's said thr line at least once before. Dead or alive, you're coming with me!"
>>
>>5992382
Tempting fate, anon.
>>
>>5992314

>"So who do you reckon our modern Robocop would be then? Adam Smasher? I bet he's said thr line at least once before. Dead or alive, you're coming with me!"
>>
>>5992314
>”...Think anyone in Maxtac had this happen to them? Get blasted and wake up more chrome than person, I mean?” Something about the story is actually resonating with you quite a bit, though moreso Alice - she’s no stranger to losing memories after ‘dying’.
>>
>>5992314
>>”Kind of prophetic, isn’t it? Can’t believe someone saw this gonk shit coming a hundred years ago... Though I guess Arasaka was already around even then.” You ARE surprised.
>>
>>5992314
>>
>>5992314
>>”...Think anyone in Maxtac had this happen to them? Get blasted and wake up more chrome than person, I mean?” Something about the story is actually resonating with you quite a bit, though moreso Alice - she’s no stranger to losing memories after ‘dying’.
>>
>>5992314
>”Kind of prophetic, isn’t it? Can’t believe someone saw this gonk shit coming a hundred years ago... Though I guess Arasaka was already around even then.”
>>
>>5992314
>>”...Think anyone in Maxtac had this happen to them? Get blasted and wake up more chrome than person, I mean?” Something about the story is actually resonating with you quite a bit, though moreso Alice - she’s no stranger to losing memories after ‘dying’.
>>
>>5992314
>>”Kind of prophetic, isn’t it? Can’t believe someone saw this gonk shit coming a hundred years ago... Though I guess Arasaka was already around even then.” You ARE surprised.
>>
>>5992314
>>
>>5992314
>”Nothing new under the sun, Vicky.” It doesn’t surprise you that much.

>>5992419
>inb4 smasher knows we're an engineered bioweapon
>inb4 your rides over mutie. Time to die.
>>
Going to be another slow couple of days, I'll tally up the votes later.
>>
>>5992832
>>5992814
>>5992616
>>5992322

>>5992612
>>5992621
>>5992626
>>5992803

Got a tie, ignore the last post if you saw it. I'll leave voting open through the night. Vote, chooms!
>>
>>5992314

"'The past is never dead. It's not even past."
>>
>>5993613
>>5992832
>>5992814
>>5992616
>>5992322
Writing.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.