[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: maxresdefault.jpg (166 KB, 1280x720)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>DUDE IT'S LE BLACK HOLE AND PARALLEL UNIVERSES AND LE WHITE HOLE TOO
>>
>>16154149
I, too, saw that Verisatium video
>>
>>16154163
What do you think of that video?
>>
>>16154149
When i was a kid i would wonder whats at the end of the universe. People would say theres a wall of some sort. Its just an event horizon.
Fascinating concept, how space can just have a wall where it ends.
>>
why are not whiteholes bigbangs? seems like the same shit.
>>
>>16154167

The math is so sketchy on black holes, he is pretty good with his videos to not lie so I think he clearly shows nobody really knows the answers.
It feels like a video without a conclusion because it is the current situation.
>>
>>16154149
ew why the hell is Einsteins spit so sticky in pic related, is he sick?
>>
>>16154241
and for some reason he's not looking at the massive blackhole outside his window, he's looking straight ahead
>>
File: 1704363514093.jpg (78 KB, 809x1392)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>I'M GOONNAA FLY THROUGH SPACE AT THE SPEDE OF LYGHT IN MUH SPACE SHIT WITH FRIENDLY ROBOTS AND WE'LL TIME TRAVEL THROUGH BLACK HOLES AND TELEPORT TO THE MULTIVERSE JUST LIKE IN MUH STAR TREK MOOOOVIES
>WE'LL HAVE LASER SWORDS AN SHEEIIIIIITTT TOO OMG I'M GOING TO CUM JUST THINGING ABOUT IT I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE SO MUCH!!!!
>>
>>16154241
His sinuses are absolutely clogged, because it turns out that he's allergic to black holes.
>>
>>16154250
The light of the sun being sucked in must've blinded him.
>>
>>16154167
It was cringe and I hated it, but I've also been looking for a lite intro to relativity so I tolerated it
Now looking for more info on the Einstein Field Equations, preferably not in french or japanese or whatever the fuck symbols physicshits think are appropriate
>>
>>16154167
I like how he went through the history of black hole maths
>>
>>16154149
whose cum is Einstein brushing out of his mouth?
>>
>>16154149
i always found veritasiums videos badly explained
especially: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFlu60qs7_4
he just draws some lines and skims over everything
the production quality is very good but i dont think i ever learned anything
>>
>>16154768
i learned no one ever measured the speed of light in one direction. Only in two directions, through a reflection, and we measure the effective speed. Could be higher in some direction than in others, no way to know
>>
>>16154768
It's pop-science entertainment.
>>
File: jimmy.jpg (84 KB, 847x476)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>16155105
>>
>>16154167
Veristatium is why IQ is declining
>>
>>16155985
>why IQ is declining
because of reading your ideas
>>
File: soi.jpg (325 KB, 1918x1078)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
>>16154149
saw this shit and immediately clicked off
>>
>>16156871
should have waited, that graph is also going up
>>
File: IMG_2548.jpg (103 KB, 862x679)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>16154149
something revealed in this video that I find deeply frustrating is the way that math which is clearly meant to describe abstract and often “ideal” worlds ends up being understood by pseuds as
>WHOA THE WORLD IS MATH I FUCKIN LOVE SCIENCE
but if you actually look at the math, for example the Schwarzschild solution to Einstein’s field equations, it isn’t describing anything remotely real. Roy Kerr’s solutions are closer to observed reality, but even still what these men are doing is creating a map of a non-specific place and making the map consistent in the way that it measures particular things (angles, distances, curvature, etc.). they doubtlessly have useful applications, but nonetheless they don’t *reveal* anything about reality. A meter stick is good at telling you how long a meter is, but that doesn’t mean the entire world is made of meters, it’s just a tool. When I sat down to read Einstein’s Relativity, I appreciated that Einstein himself seemed to understand that how we apply mathematical concepts (specifically geometry) to the world is ultimately arbitrary, and I feel as though this point is critically ignored today. I think that ignorance fundamentally stems from the fact that the revolutionary advances in physics in the early 20th century were the result of solving wartime problems, e.g. entire field of QM was a race to design the atomic bomb or the example shown in the video that calculus was used to predict the arc of artillery shells. the only problems of a similar scale we have today exist in the finance sector; complex predictive statistical analysis and the manipulation of price data, which is not only done almost entirely by computers but which was in part *designed* by the computers that control it
>>
>>16155985
i liked the blue LED one
>>
>>16154186
you loop back to the other side
4 dimensional sphere bro
>>
His new editor is about to ruin his channel for me
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf46_yoSX80
>>
>>16158181
that is not science and those are not scientists >>>/pol/
>>
>>16154261
lol
you have to be a s•yjak tier idiot to actually believe in the that ridiculous jewish pilpul that they try to pass off as legitimate physics
>>
>>16154261
people unironically believe in that kind of stupidity and at the same time claim that hollow earth is outlandish
>>
>>16154149
what's with the cumstring?
imagine watching videos with aislop thumbnails
>>
>>16157245
I mean the video implicitly concludes that all that scifi stuff probably doesn't exist
>>
There is absolutely no evidentiary basis for any hypothesis that something like a "white hole" might exist. It's a pure daydream fancy.
>>
>>16160495
>There is absolutely no evidentiary basis for any hypothesis that something like a "black hole" might exist. It's a pure daydream fancy.
t. Einstein when he was still coping at his initial solutions
>>
>>16160495
Fund scientists to make one? Instead of micro black holes?
Wormholes have been made in a lab?
>>
*crosses white hole*

In this Moment I am Euphoric,
not because of any God,
but because I am enlightened by my own intelligence.,
>>
>>16160584
>if you throw enough money at something, it will cross from fiction to reality
Just like black education, I guess.
>>
File: 1692828057145781.jpg (7 KB, 250x186)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Anyone else completely lost track of what he was talking about after he changed the graph so all light travels at 45 degrees and then "expanded" it so that it covered all of the known universe in both space and time?

I mean I get what that other guy said, if you have a coordinate system with positive numbers, and nothing breaks if you use negative numbers, then SURE. But the last guy said the field equations prohibit all this bullshit didn't he?
Why are they ignoring the field equations and just jerking off to geometry?
>>
>>16160600
Reification. They're slaves to the math, they don't care about the real world at this point.
>>
>>16160607
Sure but I feel like I am missing some context here. Some older nazi who calculated trajectories for artillery guns to blow up slavs came up with a highly idealized solution to some ridiculous set of equations.This was a cold logic man, he probably only cared about the fun of calculations. So why was this celebrated in *physics* much? Is it just that it was the first non-trivial solution that was ever put forth?
>>
>dude just change the coordinate system and your fantasy comes true
>>
>>16157351
>4 dimensional sphere bro
It can be that and also have walls, not just at "the end", although you could define any wall as "the end". Its like having a fabric with holes, no, the holes are not gates to something, they are just walls that cant be crossed.
>>
>>16154149
>PARALLEL UNIVERSES
religious nuts are melting down over AI satan and want to start the fucking apocalypse. imagine explaining to them that you want to open a portal to a "parallel dimension" lmao especially if AI comes up with the solution for it
>>
>>16161687
>intellectual educated academics indulging in schizo fantasies
>anon desperately pivots to religious people
Adorable.
>>
>>16154149
All of this you could have gotten by watching a few lecture series on cosmology.

It was okay but I learned nothing. Good if you don't have a foundation in cosmology I guess.
>>
>>16161693
You're so smart bro.
>>
>>16161690
notice you getting offended by my post
>>
>>16161694
Quite the opposite friend, I simply enjoy lecture series. You should watch some, they're fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFZSFKl39YU&list=PLaLvSxPpI1c0IUreSNF2NNA0IJeHUjCyK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-medYaqVak&list=PLpGHT1n4-mAuVGJ2E1uF9GSwLsx7p1xtm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANCN7vr9FVk&list=PL4BUyFYOFtUZIUtcSDo6vm4HPxS9aZmHC
>>
>>16161704
fake af
>>
>>16154186
What makes you think there is either a wall or an event horizon? Are you considering the Hubble sphere to be an event horizon? Even though it sort of accomplishes the same outcome, we don't have any reason to believe it's the same thing as an event horizon at all do we not? (I did not watch the video btw)
>>
File: Nerd_1520708.jpg (314 KB, 900x674)
314 KB
314 KB JPG
>hay guise, I know everything about the entire universe!!!
why is this grandiose delusion such a popular and common coping mechanism for stupid nerds?
>>
>>16163442
Replacement for metaphysical philosophy.
See also Roko's Basilisk, a replacement for fear of God.
>>
>>16163442
coping mechanism for fear of the unknown.
>>
>>16157245
Yeah its always like that with relativity, I also like how they would always say "in an inertial frame" which is like nowhere, never in the real universe.

Real universe is savage. Its on the edge of unicorn magic and we are just apes looking at shit and building some fancy theories.
>>
I fucking hate science so much
>>
>>16154149
i want to beat the fuck out of Verisatium and that stupid ego look in his face
>>
File: 1697645173445695.png (85 KB, 558x364)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
>>
>>16166735
lol good pic
>>
>>16154261
i really wish ppl like that would be kicked out this board or at least contained in /sfg/
>>
>>16154149
So do black holes really exist? Have we truly observed one? Or is it something like dark matter where it's entirely theoretical and there has been nothing found?
>>
File: cute_dance.gif (1.56 MB, 568x640)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB GIF
>>16155985
no u
>>
>>16160607
That wouldn't be a problem at all if at least they made sure their mathematical model is fully consistent. It is not, they can't just pick any inertial frame of reference. Light must propagate symmetrically in all directions. Failing to do that leads to causality violations and singularities.
>>
I personally believe blacc hoes are blown way out of proportion by theorists and it's actually a really really dense boring pile of space rubbish. Matter falls on it and sticks to it. None of this dimension or timestop crap. We're just too stupid to explain it yet.
>>
>>16154167
I liked it.
t. PhD in physics.
>>
>>16160435
Actually it explicitly concludes that.
>>
>>16168522
they don't exist
>>
File: 1715383597895.jpg (3.68 MB, 4320x4320)
3.68 MB
3.68 MB JPG
>>16168875
Yes they do. Here's a photo!
>>
File: 1700037726322.png (715 KB, 1024x1024)
715 KB
715 KB PNG
>>16169836
>>
File: Hugh-Everett.jpg (10 KB, 270x370)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>16154149
Parallel universes are impossible and if they existed they would be identical to ours on the macroscale. White holes don't exist either.
>>
>>16154167
It helped me see how utterly bullshit theoretical physics is.
>>
Astrophysics is a joke
>>
>>16166735
this is what soiyence faggots actually look like
>>
File: 8512076_orig.jpg (157 KB, 1100x733)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>16154261
>>
>>16163351
I dont know if theres an even horizon at the end of the universe, just that it could be. I find that neat, before the idea of space having a wall where it ends was just said as a joke, but turns out it could be. Of course a common black hole with its event horizon can also be thought as being a "space ends here" wall, like a hole in cheese.
I dont care of any of this actually exists, im ok if its just a math game
>>
>>16170753
It is, its only popular because it allows people with extremely irrational and narcissistic personalities to claim "i know everything about the entire universe"
>>
>>16160298
>that stupid thing makes my stupid thing legit
GTFO
>>
>>16154739
Rothschild's
>>
>>16154149
wait till u here about the grey hole
>>
>>16166735
this is how people who only read popsci think of scientists
>>
File: luisMINene.jpg (81 KB, 780x1040)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>16154149
>Einstein stole all his discoveries from ARYAN scientists and other JOO'S gave him credit to make DA WYTE MAN look dumb
>but Einstein was JOOISH
>so everything he discovered was fake and a JOOOISH plot

Make up your minds, /pol/tards.
>>
>>16174275
Seriously, the average /pol/turd barely passed high-school math and here they are are giving their expert opinion on physics.
>>
File: timmay.png (718 KB, 1200x630)
718 KB
718 KB PNG
>>16156871
Can't amemba, did they draw all the kerr horizons on that and draw a picture of how John Titor did the timewarp? I think you should be able to draw a curve on that to show a mere mortal how to John Titor right?
>>
>>16169908
That's what experts say chud, you believe them.
>>
>>16168842
>t. PhD in physics.
Hard to believe that
>>
>>16174275
>>16174277
>being this obsessed with /pol/
go be cancerous somewhere else
>>
>>16160495
Black holes are actually white holes, the gravitational potential is so great that all the photons are stuck in orbit and never fly out, resulting in a black appearance, but if you were to fall past the event horizon you would witness a blinding light from all the photons in the eternally circular orbit
>>
>>16177509
"white holes" are just the big bang. that seems obvious.
>>
>>16177513
There was no big bang
>>
>>16154167
his content would be infinitely better if he didnt show his face every chance he could
>>
>>16177514
"The big bang" is just a cheap soience paraphrasing of the book of genesis
>>
>>16178892
yet you're still gullible enough to believe that same story when rewritten to be atheist friendly
>>
>>16177514
Why is everything that's really far away so redshifted? and what's the CMB?
>>
>>16179536
>i can't conceive of any other explanations for these observations because i have zero critical thinking ability
>all i can do i repeat soiyence memes i learned from the bill nye tv show
>>
>>16179460
That's not true. Atheists were outraged by the big bang theory, denoucing it as Christian propaganda which too closely echoed the religious narrative of creation. They vehemently continued to champion the steady state model to avoid any semblence of divine implication. Despite fervent and continuous opposition, Catholic scientists managed to slowly chip away at their beliefs. Eventually the old guard got old and died, thusly, the big bang became the cornerstone of modern cosmology.
Similarly, Darwin was shocked at the response from the scientific community at his findings. They claimed his data-first, analytical approach was unscientific and religious - he was no longer welcome in their cicles, for he rejected long-held paradigms. Meanwhile, the Church, who Darwin was afraid of, didn't give a single shit. "Mr Darwin, you're telling me your science says some force guides the progression of species through the ages? Finally! We've been TRYING to tell you idiots about God for ages!"
>>
>>16174275
He stole everything from Hilbert, whom only discovered general relativity as a harmless academic pastime. Only jews created a cult around it
>>
>>16180262
None of what you said has any meaning.
What the fuck is
"a harmless passtime", why would it be harmful?
"a cult around relativity"
Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>16177483
>i'm not /pol/ I just happen to agree with them on everything and shill their opinions and shitty memes everywhere I go
Nice try, faggot. Go disappoint your parents somewhere else.
>>
>>16180181
I'm literally asking you to give an explanation. If you can't think of one right now, just say that, don't cope by meme arrow-ing me.
>>
>>16180238
>massive wall of text trying desperately to come up with an eyou're still gullible enough to believe that same story when rewritten to be atheist friendly
>"nooooo!!!! you don't understand!!! it was part of a big conspiracy!!!!"
>>
File: Hagal.png (557 KB, 530x548)
557 KB
557 KB PNG
>>16154149
>Black hole
*Counterspatial sink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRAgXVJ5fMM
>>
>>16168522

We have.
>>
>>16168825

It makes sense that they focus so much on them. It's an object where our best theories of the universe break down. The presence of singularities in the formula usually indicate that you have taken the math too far. Finding places where our theories might be wrong is the essence of science.
>>
Why do chuds like to post here so much?
>>
>>16181374
>muh black hole soiyence fiction fantasyland
black holes don't exist according to the best estimates of modern physics, they're something that was theorized a century ago based on false premises which has subsequently disproved, the only people who believe in them do so out of ignorance of physics, your knowledge of the topic is something you got from comic books, nobody who has studied physics seriously thinks they're real
>>
>>16183429
Explain why they don't exist. What happens if enough mass is concentrated into a small enough space that the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light?
>>
What's the fucking point of science if there is nothing to do? Everything is either "too complex" for all of the scientists in the world to solve (or they would have heckin solved it before you were born!) Or it's just fairy tale shit that mature people such as myself would NEVER believe in. Fucking garbage. There is nothing to strive for in science because really it's just about protecting this shitty fallen world.
>>
>>16176461
Not my problem.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.