[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (405 KB, 664x498)
405 KB
405 KB PNG
How advanced is it? Does it constitute a language? Will humans ever be able to learn it and communicate abstract concepts to them?
>>
"Language" is, ultimately, a Human exclusive concept because the concept of "language" will always be made to fit Human communication and Human communication only. And, to be fair, Humans have a lot more to talk about than Dolphins; but at the same time if we ever met an intelligent alien species they likely wouldn't meet the definition of 'language' without some serious coincidences.
>>
I could defeat a dolphin in a rap battle. Even when we figure out how to translate their shit properly I reckon I could spit more dope bars than a fucking fish.
>>
>>16161789
he would just call you a nigger in a frequency 10x higher than your ears are capable of hearing
>>
>>16161781
it's probably fragmented among tribes the same as human language was, each group has its own dialect. They do name their babies, and they call out their own names when they hear another group, like "Hey who are you, this is Frank"

You can't look at their brains and not notice it makes a human brain look like a dog brain. They damn well have language, and they are probably better at learning each other's languages than we are.
>>
>>16161800
The complexity of dolphin brains is deceptive. They operate in a 3D environment across vast distances with little in the way of landmarks, which surprise surprise leads to a different kind of brain. The fact is that Humans have a civilization and dolphins don't.
>>
>>16161783
Except that birds have language and will communicate calls, threats, food etc in their own local dialects. English lacks the word for a specific language, in spanish we would call them Lengua or Idioma, and reserve lenguaje for communication in general.
>>
>>16161824
Well in English it's the reverse. "Language" refers to something with formalized rules and grammar, communication would be any social interaction that creates meaning.
>>
>>16161824
>birds have language
Can they communicate abstract concepts? Can they communicate about past and present events? Can they string words together to create sentences? If not, then they don't have a language.
>>
https://www.speakdolphin.com/
>>
>>16161794
Kek
>>
>>16161801
No fire underwater and no opposable thumbs.
How would *you* create a civilization in those circumstances?
>>
>>16161825
In the real world, it is well known that on ships with crew from all over the world, a specific creole will arise that enables people to udnerstand each other but will never ever be formalized or even have rules. When they move to the next ship the creole will be different again.
>>
fag
>>
>>16161781
Of course, even negroids have something that resembles a spoken language.
>>
File: based crow.webm (533 KB, 240x304)
533 KB
533 KB WEBM
>>16161828
Of course they can do it. That is how crows know who is the enemy.
>>
>>16161794
I bet those dolphin faggots insult us all the time, they are yelling nigger at us right this very moment, its just that out ears did not evolve to hear such an autistic screeching.
>>
>>16164168
kek
>>
>>16161781
No. Only humans do
>>
>>16161783
Absolutely vacuous statement that conceals wild assumptions about human exceptionalism.
>>
>>16161794
If any dolphoj every tired that with me I'd punch his soul at a frequency sufficient to destroy him at his core and leave him nothing more than a xitterinf fish
>>
squeak squeak motherfucker
>>
>>16166333
kek
>>
>>16166325
Ooof 82 iq post my dude try again
>>
>>16161801
They don't need a civilization though. They don't need shelter or farms when the sea has all they need.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.