[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 130822_1203636.jpg (20 KB, 500x367)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
A few weeks ago, one of the most important conjectures in math was proved by pic rel (see http://people.mpim-bonn.mpg.de/gaitsgde/GLC/) and yet, nobody on /sci/ gave a fuck.
Wtf happened to this board? This isn't at all the board I remember
>inb4 schizo rants by bots and namefags
>>
>>16260819
That's not IQ, climate change or homework.
Not /sci/
>>
>>16260819
>implying nu/sci/ even knows what geometric langlands let alone rep theory is about
>>
>>16260819
math is fake
>>
>>16260834
>brainlet cope, the post
>>
He wrote sex on the board lol bet that nerd doesn't get any irl
>>
>>16260819
He's not black.
>>
File: 1719741819187.png (979 KB, 1028x1748)
979 KB
979 KB PNG
Yes, /sci/ is dead. I still come here occasionally out of habit but usually leave again when I see that nothing changed. The bots and spammers have won. There are no insightful discussion threads anymore. The few knowledgeable posters either left or learned their lesson that making good posts in this shithole is a waste of time and resources. Have fun with your endless "science is fake and gay" and "new climate change clickbait" spam. I can have better discussions about science and math on /pol/, /g/ or /lit/.
>>
>>16260819
>Langlands
>In 2004, mathematicians Edward Frenkel, Dennis Gaitsgory, Kari Vilonen, and Mark Goresky were awarded millions of dollars in the form of a grant by DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency). The project being funded was to relate the geometric Langlands program to quantum field theory.
>>
>>16260834
>>16260852
>b-but its le fake!!
you retards always say this but then the next atom bomb will use that math. Starting to think youre getting paid to spread this nonsense... the fact that the us military funded this research makes this even more obvious
>>
>>16260933
Add "climate", "vaccine" and " "how come" to hide filters. Do not reply to spambots and poltards.
>>
>>16260819
Who gives a shit? Mathematicians are all schizophrenics anyway.
>>
>>16260961
exhibit A
>>
>>16260938
The atom bomb used physics, not math. Literally zero applications will from this conjecture.
>>
>>16260959
Then half of the board is hidden and the remaining threads are still filled with trash like >>16260834 >>16260961
This board is dead and it's time to leave. If you want to discuss science or math just make a thread on /pol/, add some /pol/ buzzwords to make it tangentially ontopic and you'll get exponentially better quality replies than on /sci/.
>>
>>16260968
Only 20 posts hidden with my filters
>>
>>16260965
the mathematical advances in the 19th century made it possible to seriously study the physics in the first place
>>
>>16260965
>he doesnt know
>>
>>16260819
Yukarifag leaving when I realized this board turned to shit
>>
>>16260971
All those advances were made by physicists. You're delusional
>>
>>16260965
>zero applications will from this conjecture
quite the bold statement. Can you please explain what geometric langlands is about so I know I won't waste an hour educating a moron?
>>
>>16260978
No, read up on some history. Especially on the history of modern differential geometry. Ask yourself why Riemannian geometry is named after a mathematician and not a physicist. Also look at Riemanns habilitation thesis, particularly his thoughts on what kind of space we live in
>>
>>16260933
>/g/
that board is entirely composed of ragebait, spam, and dunning-kruger, I've literally never seen a good in-depth technology discussion there
/tg/, /k/, or very rarely /v/, are the place to talk technology or science
>>
The only good poster here is Barkon. At least he posts new stuff. The rest is old NPC bollox.
>>
>>16260938
Lmao cope of a weak ass nerd nigga
noone cares lmao
>>
>>16260819
langlands is some of the most incomprehensible bullshit in all of mathematics. most professional mathematicians don't even have any idea what the fuck is going on
>>
>>16260834
>algebra is fake
ftfy
>>
>>16260981
Yeah yeah, you're either a schizophrenic number theorist or a pedophilic string theorist. Either way you're a chronic liar. Not going to play your cancerous game. If an application exists, it's on you to say what it is. Otherwise the default position is to assume it has no applications.
>>16260987
Riemann was a physicist and a mathematician. You're conflating his works.
>>
>>16261077
NTA, but you're delusional.
>>
>>16261077
Virgin detected
>>
>>16260819
Geometric langlands seems a bit idealistic though it already has a good track record.
How long until this gets peer reviewed?
>>
>>16261072
>>16261077
>>16260936
>all the retards that got filtered by langlands proudly presenting their low IQ
>>
>>16261195
given that the proof is very long and there are hardly any people qualified to review it, I'd guess a year or two, slightly longer than perelman's proof
>>
>>16261077
Edward Witten is literally studying geometric langlands too lol. Ask yourself why the greatest physicist currently alive would do that if it were a meme with 0 applications. Want something with actually no applications? Look no further than combinatorics research
>>
99% of this board doesn't understand what Langland's conjectures even are (me included), nor could we even if we dedicated years to learning it.
>>
>>16261439
>Ask yourself why the greatest physicist currently alive would do that
Roger Penrose isn't doing that, as far as I'm aware.
>>
>>16261077
Meh. It seems, unlike pop-sci ranting in the internet, that string theory dominates theoretical physics. Quantum gravity called swampland program, holography used to blackhole information and condensed matter, mirror symmetry and geometric Langlands in math.

I used to have prejudice on string theory, but I changed my mind because it flourishes in the academia
>>
>>16261446
This. I have a math degree and I'm still far away from understanding Langland. It seems to be a topic only for a small elite of research mathematicians. I admire those who are wise enough.
>>
>>16261450
Penrose basically died 20 years ago. He wrote a great book on spinors but what he did in the past decades is hot fucking garbage. That quantum brain bullshit is only the tip of the iceberg. Going on Jordan Peterson and Weinstein's podcast really showed how much he lost it. Meanwhile Witten is still going strong
>>
>>16261450
I'm sure Penrose is interested in this. He's not only a physicist but also a mathematician.

>>16261459
So far he was right about microtubules.
>>
>>16261459
I actually talked to him a few years back and he was the sharpest octogenarian (he wasn't yet 90, at the time) I've ever met, by far. Him talking to Jordan Peterson, which was by all accounts a terrible discussion and that was largely due to Peterson being a moron. In person he showed remarkably little sign of any cognitive decline at all, at least in my brief time chatting with him.
Witten might be a bit sharper at the moment, but he's also quite a bit younger, and my comment was tongue in cheek anyway.
>>
>>16261459
>>16261469
holy fuck dont remind me of Peterson's interview. He couldn't stop himself from interrupting Penrose and making some long off-topic comment on something hardly related. It was painful listening to Penrose attempting to explain Godel incompleteness to Peterson and him just babbling over non-determinism.
>>
>>16261469
>Him talking to Jordan Peterson, which was by all accounts a terrible discussion and that was largely due to Peterson being a moron
(meant to finish)... has little bearing on Roger's own mind, beyond his apparent inability to judge who's capable of holding a quality conversation and who isn't.
>>
>>16260834
>>16261077
>string theory is le fake and gay
reality has inherent hidden degrees of freedom described by a degree-3 algebraic hyperkahler curve embedded in Kaluza-Klein-esque compact dimensions. We have literally shown this experimentally
>>
>>16261077
>it has no applications even doe the US military is funding it
Kek.
>>
>>16260970
Get better filters
>>
>>16261077
yikes
>>
>>16261489
>KK shown experimentally
Meds. Now. Does your mom know you're in pain?
>>
>>16260819
Post your nose, OP.
>>
>>16260933
Everyone knows this
If i deploy a chan that lives on blockchain event logs would you pay to post?
>>
>>16261864
>nose fetishist back at it
>>
>>16260961
how come
>>
>>16261025
samefag
>>
>>16261870
Sure I'd pay to call you a faggot on the blockchain.
>>
>>16260819
I like how you were THAT mad about not getting enough attention that you made two threads >>16261086
>>
>>16262556
>>16261864
>>16262549
>l-let me talk about politics on a math and science board!!!
back to /pol/ with you, subhuman
>>
>>16262618
I never talked about politics.
>>
>>16260819
We have more pressing matters at hand such as Covid and why you should take ur Vaccine
>>
>>16260819
Dropped out of school in 8th grade and have been a day laborer ever since reporting in

After clicking like 20 Wikipedia links my understanding of this conjecture is that it describes the "shapes" that arise from the boundaries and angles of "shapes" of both internal and external "shapes" relative to the empty space now defined as a "shape".

Is this right? Why does this matter? Is this not just measuring shit?
>>
>>16262939
It is essentially a translation exercise, which reformulates one field of mathematics into another field. It's important because it reveals answers one field otherwise wouldn't have.
>>
>>16260933
Trannys killed it not random Anons. Trust the science bro. Current year science is pozzed AF.
>>
>>16262939
You should start studying again
>>
>>16260819
Can you even describe it rather than just making a clickbait remark then linking it? I didn't click your link, btw.
>>
>>16263064
bot post
>>
>>16262939
congrats anon, youve figured it all out
>>
>>16260938
He's right, you know
>>
>>16260819
>A few weeks ago
That's a lifetime in maths. We've moved on. Sorry you missed it.
Maybe the arcives are more your speed than a real time discussion board.
>>
>>16263125
>That's a lifetime in maths
You've got to be joking.
>>
>>16263129
You're still going on about something we discussed minutes ago?!?
Please try and keep up. Maybe you'll find the introductory course more your speed.
>>
>>16263125
learn to read. OP said /sci/ didnt care when the proof first came out which seems to be true as I can't find anything in the archives
>>
>>16260819
this is what "culture war" gets you
everything of quality has moved into little enclaves and secret societies, except they aren't secret because they still rely on social media and communication infrastructure.
it's gonna get more and more impossible to just lurk, you'll have to prove yourself and meet standards to the point where you may as well just interact and live in the real world.
which isn't that bad of a fate, it's just a shame that the real point/utility of the internet was lost because some warlord freaks wanted more power.
>>
"the pinnacle of warfare approaches the formless"
- sun tzu
>>
>>16263153
Bitch, you learn to read. We have moved on.
>>
>>16262939
How dare you
>>
>>16263085
Nah he makes a fair point. If OP is upset about this result not getting any attention on /sci/, the least he could do is start the discussion by giving a little bit of an overview for people who are unfamiliar with it.
>>
>>16263765
no it's not a good point at all. Just look it up, you'll find hundreds of posts on stackexchange if you want to be spoonfed that badly.
Besides, it is a major proof. OP shouldn't have to explain jack shit. A math board that doesn't know of geometric langlands isn't a math board at all
>>
>>16263771
So why even bother making the thread? Just to complain?
>>
>>16263776
retard
>>
>>16260819
I think one of the biggest improvements that could possibly be made to /sci/ would be to autoban anyone who posts with anything entered into the name field.
/sci/ namefags are invariably schizos who literally reply to themselves to converse with the voices in their heads. Namefags are shit on every board but it is absolutely fucking startling how much worse they are on here.
Another major improvement would be banning all discussions related to climate change, vaccines, IQ, and race.
>>
>>16263303
No, we haven't. Cope harder
>>
>>16262939
What the fuck did you read to come to that conclusion?
>>
>>16263064
read the paper dumbfuck. The 5th paper even clearly outlines the importance of the proof
>>
>>16260819
i have a masters in mathematics and even i didn't understand the paper
>>
>>16263771
>I shouldn't have to explain why I'm upset, you should know why
Literally passive-aggressive women's logic. If you want to talk about the proof, actually talk about the proof (in /mg/ perhaps?). Don't just make a thread simply whining about how nobody else is talking about it.
>>
>>16263792
Are you okay, anon? This has nothing to do with what I've said
>>
>>16261886
because brainlets can't imagine shit like mathematicians do
>>
>>16261446
Eric Weinstein got you. Just read the following books: http://theportal.wiki/wiki/Read
This will get you there in no time
>>
>>16260933
best post ITT
>>
>>16263783
There should be a health care or COVID board like on Komica
>>
>>16263791
probably because you got it in applied math
>>
>>16260965
>i am too retarded to understand it so it must have no use
good thing youre not an authority on math and will never be
>>
>>16263804
i had both applied and pure, but never studied functors. the subject seems interesting
>>
>muh conjecture
No one cares, nerd. There's nothing "important" about this irrelevant squiggle crap. This doesn't do anything to improve the state of the world or all the problems occurring. Talk about real science, not chalkboard playtime for virgins.
>>
>>16263819
another filtered retard
>>
>>16263819
>This doesn't do anything to improve the state of the world or all the problems occurring
the conjecture probably won't improve the state of the world right now, but it might in the future. mathematicians don't prove stuff for the better good of the world, they prove because they like to. it's like a challenge for mathematicians.
>>
>>16263809
to be fair the people at bonn research a lot of very exotic topics.
>>
File: 2010 sci meme.png (6 KB, 386x177)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>16260933
>There are no insightful discussion threads anymore
There never were. More revisionist history retard shit from newfags. I was on /sci/ in 2010, it was exactly the same.
>>
>>16263819
>a conjecture claiming there are massive connections between geometry and algebra
>even studied by hundreds of physicists
>"b-but it has no use!!"
>>
>>16263822
>f-f-filtered!!
>for my shitty nerd masturbation ritual
oh nooo not the heccin matherinos
not the heccin conjecture that cant be used for anything
not the retard time wasting grabassery

>>16263826
>morons who spend all time masturbating over games they make up for themselves actually believe they're "cHaNgInG tHe wOrLd"
you spend all day playing the math equivalent of wordle and then get pissed that "THE BOARD IS DYING BECAUSE NO ONE PAYS ATTENTION TO MY SHIT ANYMORE!!"
>>
>>16263830
>i-it's even studied by hundreds of OTHER time-wasting masturbating retards who don't contribute!!!! you have to listen to MUH AUTHORITY!
>>
>>16263828
in 2010, you didn't have bots like >>16263833
>>
>>16263834
Edward Witten does contribute though?
>>
>>16263830
Holy shit, do consensus slaves really?

>>16263835
>You dared to criticize my irrelevant garbage? Y-you must be a bot!
Embarrassing.
>>
>>16263833
why are you even on this board
>>
>>16263838
don't reply to me, filth
>>
>>16263799
I honestly don't think it would help. They already have appropriate boards to discuss politics and conspiracy theories, but it doesn't stop them doing it everywhere else. A lot of the posters shitting up this board and the rest of the website (outside of /pol/ and /x/ where they belong) with COVID/vax/etc stuff are doing it because they think they're going to redpill people or own the libtards.
>>
Holy shit /sci/ is such a shit tier board. It's just a bunch of brain dead 5 year olds.
>>
>>16263878
>to redpill people or own the libtards
Does this actually work?
>>
>>16263783
Just fucking ban politics. Everyone knows that’s the #1 factor in terrible quality posts.
>>
>>16260819
well nobody talks about it because even among legitimate mathematicians over 90% of people cannot comprahend it
its impact for the field may be quite big but in itself its a very narrow niche
>>
>>16260819
>one of the most important conjectures in math
Conjectures in hyper-specialized fields that only six people in the world bother to tackle aren't sexy, especially when those conjectures are young.
>>
/sci/ is just a bunch of political activists, schizos and high school science students. The implication being it doesn't have any top tier people in sciences or math anymore.
>>
>>16263771
>Just look it up, you'll find hundreds of posts on stackexchange
Sounds like there's no reason for it to be here. Stay on stack exchange if you like it so much better there
>>
>>16264195
90% of scientists and math nerds have already anon, and other smaller less well-known online spaces
>>
>>16263788
I started with Laplands Conjecture and clicked most of the links related to that
>>
>>16264209
Langland*

see I don't even know what it's called

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langlands_program

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galois_group

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automorphic_form

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_representation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebraic_group

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_field

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adele_ring

that'll give you a better idea
>>
>>16264202
I just went to discord communities with friends or GitHub for colleagues. Calling people here retards is my outlet
>>
>>16264233
Laughing at /sqt/ questions is mine
>>
File: 1717012032779951.jpg (51 KB, 500x459)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>16260933
>Create containment board for people with opinions you don't like.
>Get pissed off that they have their own board full of opinions you don't like, so pay libtard shills to drive them out.
>It works and they start coming here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.