[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/t/ - Torrents

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: av.png (775 KB, 1920x1080)
775 KB
775 KB PNG
What would be the best anti-virus to use if you're going to be downloading exes' from potentially malicious parties? Windows Defender isn't too bad for regular use but during testing it lost to proper AVs when it came to ransomeware and a few malwares.
I know people say just use common sense, but it really just comes down to being unlucky, when torrenting, anyone can put any file they want in it, or the hosting site could be compromised, I just don't want to have to reset my PC and potentially have all my passwords breached.
>>
General rule of thumb is test any exe in a vm before running on your bare-metal machine. Muta has done some good videos on VMing if you don't know how to do so but it's fairly simple.
>>
>>1290465
I read that using a VM was not a bulletproof way to test the waters and it could still infect your main machine, is that not true?
>>
>>1290469
Yes, there are things that can jump out of the VM - but they're far rarer than things that can take over your OS straight, and they have to be targeted specifically for holes in the exact VM you're using. Furthermore, they're usually targeted at Linux since that's what's running on most cloud VMs.

Long story short you're less likely to get something running in your Windows VM (VMware, HyperV, etc.) breaking out and pwning your system than you are getting pwned on a Mac.

For the OP question, I use NOD32 and find that it and Malware Bytes detect everything. MWB is actually annoying in that it false positives a lot, but will all the torrenting I do better safe than sorry.
>>
Nothing is 100% safe.
If you want to be super safe, scan with MalwareBytes (they've consistently been the top 3 Anti-virus over a decade, whereas others have been up and down), disconnect your PC from the web, VM a non-linux OS and launch the file.
>>
1. Don't execute shit as soon as you downloaded it. Leave it to rot in some folder for 2 months to make sure AVs are caught up. It's not difficult to wait, just use the older version of the software (or get a torrent from a private tracker that's been uploaded more than 2 months ago).
2. Execute really fishy shit in a VM or, if you're too dumb or lazy to use VMs, then at least create another Windows account that's not admin and use that as long as the installer or the software doesn't require admin elevation.
3. Use AV (in this order): ESET, Bitdefender, Windows Defender.
Honorable mention: Norton. It's overpriced and annoying but for eons it's been technically very capable.
If you are in some shithole nobody gives a fuck about you can consider Kaspersky just as good as the first 2.
4. ESET, B, N & K all have interactive firewalls. Learn to use them to catch all outbound connections and see what your software does when started.
5. Don't be an idiot.
>>
Use linux
>>
>>1290520
Use rope on your neck.
>>
>>1291198
enjoy your malware
>>
>>1290438
windows defender and common sense

also why is this on /t/
>>
>>1290438
run it on separate computer
>>
>>1291198
>Use rope on your neck.
also works
>>
>>1290520
see>>1290473
>>
>>1290473
I've heard of people running VMs inside of other VMs. Is this why someone might run linux on baremetal, then a windows VM in that, and then either another windows or linux VM at the very bottom?
>>
Is there a competent AV that doesn't run in the background? I want one that's not a service, but a utility that only runs when I want to use it.
Basically I need a program that I can tell to scan file/directory and then close without it running in the background providing whatever useless "smart shields" or "intelligent monitoring" it tries to peddle.
>>
>>1290438
common sense
>>
Windows defender and an occasional malwarebytes scan
>>
Common Sense 2024 (aka don't be stupid, don't grant admin, when you are in doubt don't run)
VirusTotal for what can be uploaded to it
ClamAV/ClamWin for what will not
>>
>>1290520
Unironically the best answer.
Linux can run most Windows executables flawlessly these days.
>>1291496
>>1290473
Yeah, but those things are Linux trojans/worms targeted at jumping out of a Linux VM and into a host Linux operating system, and they're targeted at servers. They're not going to be in random Windows executables that OP downloads to play games or pirate Photoshop or whatever the fuck he's doing.
I've even heard of Linux executables designed to target WSL systems, but I don't think that Windows executables downloaded from random sites typically include code to infect a Linux system via Wine. I'd be more careful about games downloaded from torrent sites that specifically note that they're "optimized for Linux/Wine" or whatever, but I think OP's chances of running into a Windows executable on a random piracy site that offers Windows downloads are pretty low, and he can still scan it with ClamAV before opening it to be sure.
>>
>>1290473
What if I test it inside a Windows VM inside a Linux VM inside a Mac OS VM, running on a Raspberry pi?
>>
>>1290438
Use Windows Firewall Control, purchased by malwarebytes a few years ago.

Set these options:
Notifications: Display Notifications
Profile: Medium Filtering

Zero resource usage as it uses Windows Firewall.

You will get a popup window whenever a program wants internet access with an allow/deny prompt.

If you download something that isn't supposed to have internet, then you know it's malicious.
It can also block 99% of ransomware, as ransomware has to connect to a control server first to generate an encryption seed. Most malware also generates a 'unique stub' so you usually get hit with a 'dropper' that isn't malicious, but will request internet to fetch something that is. Windows Firewall Control blocks both.

Rule of thumb; if it's a torrent, assume it's malicious by default until proven otherwise. That means 0 detections in virustotal.

Also, hidden crypto miners that are usually hidden in torrents will also be 100% detected and blocked by Windows Firewall Control.

If you want to run dodgy hentai games ect, just use windows sandbox that's what it's made for.
>>
>>1291501
>You cant touch me, I'm behind 7 vms

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.