[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 2010wastrulyayear.jpg (137 KB, 447x627)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
Even with the lack of regimentals rules, running veterans with plasma or melta in Chimeras/Vendettas was the most fun i ever had with 40k.
>>
Barranai Nui's metri nui codex is fuckin amazing
>>
Imperial guard aren't supposed to be an army about veterancy and they always should've been hard capped. Guard fans got drunk on being allowed to minmax in a dozen different ways and then they finally said "nah, you'll play like guardsmen" and there was wailing and gnashing.
>>
I liked all the alternate vehicles and special characters of the 5th ed Guard dex but the Valkyrie is more or less where flyers got introduced to the game and the precedent that shit set was terrible. Much of the next 4 or 5 years of warhammer 40k was just stapling on a new flyer or a new super heavy onto an otherwise complete model range.
>>
>>92505090
Peak of 40k that book. 5 variants for every vehicle, every option viable. Perfect.
>>
I play chaos and don't even require an image for everyone to know which one I'm talking about.

But as an added side dish, I liked the Khorne Daemonkin one.
>>
my favorite codex was the one where custodes didnt have tits and a pussy. anyway, trannys can have the hobby now i'm tired of fighting it, they win
>>
>>92506769
Join the Guard, son. Where everyone is equally worthless.
>>
>>92506844
>Guard
its Astra Militarum now, hobby is dead
>>
>>92506884
We do not acknowledge the existence of this "Astra Militarum"
>>
File: lemmy 3.jpg (465 KB, 3600x2400)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
>>92505272
Hard disagree. I loved that codex and how it laid out the idea that yes, the average guardsmen was grist for the mill, even if they were fairly well trained, but that through the crucible of war, the one in a hundred who survived were some of the most dangerous and deadly mortal men in the galaxy. It made perfect fucking sense.
>For every 100 men who die, helpless and unremembered, one hardened killer survives, screaming his rage into the face of an uncaring galaxy'
Metal as fuck. Veterans were the best.
>>
>>92507041
Yeah and that one in a hundred means you shouldn't be able to take an entire army of them. There's no point in the themes of underdog survivalism if they're all high stats, heavily armed and capable of beating just about any threat in an even fight.
>>
>>92505090
chaos 3.5, where i could possess my dreadnoughts and give them +1 armor all around and I could enjoy feeling like my army was complete at 9k points
>its all been dumped, I won't even supply the hobbyists to get into it

I miss the days of 90cent/model wargaming.
>>
>>92505090
Custodes.
>>
File: yano.jpg (173 KB, 600x400)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>92507082
A regiment is 5000-15000 men. Let's assume 10000. 1 in 100, so, that's 100 veterans who make it through that campaign, just for that regiment. They will then be attached to another regiment, so their experience and mentorship can benefit their new regiment. These veterans will be spread out as officer bodyguard, maybe a few as sergeants and their own dedicated assault teams. Sure sounds a lot like how you took them in 5th.
>>
>>92507118
with or without a vagina?
>>
File: guard_3rd_vets.png (751 KB, 719x1029)
751 KB
751 KB PNG
>>92505090
Both 3 and 3.5 Guard codices were much better than 5th.

5th brought with it stupid unit bloat and flyers. Gay!
>>
>>92505272
I will wail and gnash until they give me back my 4 up armor Veterans. GW never will, so I shall do so until the end of my life.
>>
>>92507345
With.

The "without vagina" category goes to trans sororitas.
>>
>>92507130
It's not even a numbers game, it's theming. I'm sure there's some real crappy space marines but that doesn't reason that you should be able to take hordes of them at budget price. I'm sure some tau have figured out the right end of a knife but they shouldn't get melee assault infantry. People got hyped when they figured out they could run solely highly elite, armored guard with loads of great weapons that were straight better than most other factions infantry and it got dropped for a good reason.

>>92507512
Tau guard.
>>
>>92505090
Most of the 3rd ed Codexes and the 4th ed space marine one had great customization and variety without getting bloated.
3.5 CMS, index astartes articles, 3rd ed guard customization, all the different craftworlds for eldar, ork clans etc. It was a good era.
>>
>>92506769
/hwg/ is the way for older and wiser
>>
>>92506844
>Where everyone is equally worthless
Funny, I don't see any women on the codex cover in OP.
Oh right, that's because
>Guard believes in heckin GENDER EQUALITY!!
Is another recent development and just as fucking retarded as Femstodes, if not more so.
>>
>>92509450
That book has schafer's last chancers who are unisex
>>
File: 20220218_192127.jpg (155 KB, 900x1132)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>92513963
It had one chick who looked like this. If you're saying we need to bring this kind of design back though then I agree.
>>
>>92514073
and Gaunts ghosts who are also unisex
>>
File: images-8.jpg (8 KB, 183x275)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>92509450
You're right. Just look at the Guard release from this week. Fucking wokerati modern gender nonsense.
>>
>>92509450
If you don't think that the Guard is using every for tge grinder, then you just don't understand the Guard. Why the fuck would the Imperium waste women when they can be useful as well. Retard.
>>
>>92514103
Not in the minis, so we're still on the broad in a skirt.
>>
Someone post the listed Guard regiment picture from the 2e dex that had 2 all women regiments on it.
>>
>>92507481
I liked the orders and the slew of special characters from 5th ed, that codex had much more flavor than the 3.5ed. But I did miss the build-a-bear from 3.5. Also technically they were not flyers in 5th, they were just skimmers. But it did start the bad trend of putting "quick moving" stuff into fast attack even it it was quick moving heavy support.
>>
>>92507566
Nah it was cool to have the veterans kitted to the teeth. (plus it needed less infantry models to play so thats important too). It only got dumb once 6th ed hit and suddenly all the IG planes got the only shap shot at them rules. AV 12 flyers was dumb as hell, no one could ever kill them.
>>
File: Ere we go.jpg (148 KB, 1500x1500)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>
>>92507098
This is what gets me. People complain about the OP 3.5 Chaos but it was really a few easily patchable things.
On the other hand, the conversion and hobby options were immense. It was first and foremost a HOBBY codex.
>>
The 9th edition Genestealers codex was actually great. Highlight of that edition really. Sad what replaced it but then what isn't in 10th.
>>
>>92505090
Nah, the previous one was better.
>>
File: file.jpg (37 KB, 292x401)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
Still mourning the loss of "equip it however the fuck you like" Carnifexes.
>>
>>92509062
Shut the fuck up playing historicals would be even worse. No games fucking faggot with boring ass lore and aesthetics.

>I MOVE THE BLOCK OF RANK AND FILE INFANTRY FORWARD TO STAND THERE AND SHOOT AT THE OTHER BLOCK OF RANK AND FILE INFANTRY THAT MOVED FORWARD
Shit tier gameplay too. Kill yourself boomercuck
>>
>>92516107
>20th and 21th are not historical
Nigger bolt action is pretty much 40k but with limited melee
>>
>>92516107
>the thought of non-GW games existing drives the GW slave chimp into a frothing rage
>>
>>92507041
Except that’s not how that army played, the army played so everyone was a veteran badass who can match most non-marines. Your idea should at bare minimum have placed them in elites meaning you would need to field 50 non-vets (2 platoons each with a command squad and two infantry squads) to field a max of 30 veterans. Instead a guard army could be all vets and if you ran out of troop slots you could add storm troopers who are vets with better guns, armour, and fewer special weapons.
>>
>>92515905
>Nah it was cool to have the veterans kitted to the teeth.
Nobody cared about vets kitted out to the teeth, they cared that you could take an army that was supposed to be under dogs and made them a universally elite army.
>>
>>92515917
Really highlights how many shitty releases the Orks have gotten when the very first book is indisputably the best one.
>>
>>92505090
That wasn't the peak codex, the 3rd edition 2nd printing was the peak Guard codex, with the 6th ed one coming in second.
>>
>>92509450
3rd ed Guard codex had a regiments page and atleast one of them in there was a full Female regiment...

Granted they wore nothing but leather bikini armor and corsets they were there.

Female custodes is full fucking retarded.
>>
>>92516078
That was the Best Nid codex every made, Still have it.

I loved that all of their weapons were tied to the Strength and attack characteristic of the unit.
>>
File: sovl.png (1.57 MB, 800x1132)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB PNG
>>92505090
>Lootas can actually use weapons/wargear from other factions rather than effective-but-generic Deffguns
>Looted Vehicles can actually be from other factions rather than just generic shitty looted wagons
>Most FLGSes would operate on a 'you can stray outside the codex limits on faction wargear/vehicles provided you can bullshit a good enough fluff reason' policy for noncompetitive play, encouraging you to think about your army's fluff.

Was it shit for tournament play/optimisation/'the meta'? Sure. Was it pure sovlful kino? Absolutely.
>>
>>92516078
Yes, I would like to take three extra carnifexes in the elite slot! How could you tell? I fucking loved this codex
>>
>>92516078
>>92520880
This was the time.

I'm working on and off on a revision of 4th edition rules, like a best-of album for each faction, and it looks like everything from 3rd to 5th is the edition to pull from.

Does anyone want to chime in with their faction's best rules throughout the years?
>>
>>92524107
>Dark eldar, 5e
>Eldar, look at 4e and 7e for cool special rules for aspect warriors.
>Tau, 6e (just ignore the riptide and flyers and you have a great and fun book)
>Nids, 4e (5e had some really fun "mini" special characters though)
>Marines, 4e / 5e
Orks, 4e
>Necrons 3e
>IG, 5e (but 3.5e was fun too)

>working on and off on a revision of 4th edition rules
You show me yours Ill show you mine?
>>
>>
>>92524815
3e Nids had some good stuff on custom biomorphs too
3e Craftworld Eldar supplement provided a limited but interesting base worth expanding on
Not to mention a lot of lost special characters from older editions of every army
>>
>>92520880
I forget which edition it was also, 2-4 i think, but also
>Wagons/Trukks can carry as many Orks as you can fit on the model, if they fall off while moving you have to wound save for them
>>
>>92525285
Gorkamorka
>>
>>92524815
>You show me yours Ill show you mine?
mine is still very much in the beginning stages, I'm making some quality-of-life changes. I'd like to start it up and have the community take it over eventually, but for now it's just getting started. that said, if you want to show off, any inspiration at this point is helpful.
>>
>>92525579
Of course. Thought it was main game for some reason
>>
>>92524866
>All that fluff and rules
>Each of the Traitor Legions got their own special rules
>Each of the Traitor Legions even had their own army compositions and units others didn't have (like friggin Basilisks for Iron Warriors)
Those were the good old days. The fun days.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (1.11 MB, PDF)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB PDF
>>92525261
True the mutations stuff was cool, but it was super complicated and for the most part I think the good aspects were captured by the 4e.

>>92526522
Let the record show permission was given.
>>
>>92524107
Not willing to commit to "best rules" but I feel very early 8th ed guard was so fun to play, even if the 8th ed rule set was pretty average.
>>
>>92525285
>>92525579
RT/2nd also had that rule for battlewagons
>>
>>92514648
Because they give birth to more humans?
But yes there are female and unisex armies in the Guard.
>>
3.5E CSM and EoT Ulthwe
4E Orks
5E Dark Eldar
6E Daemons
>>
>>92506345
You forget about adding pointless anti-air to the game for each faction.
>>
>>92520880
>Weak as fuck but flavorful in 3rd
>Way too strong but completely devoid of flavor in 4th
Playing Orks was suffering

>>92524815
>Necrons 3e
3e crons had better flavor, 5e were a lot more fun to play.
>>
Codex: Demonhunters
>no baby carrier
>no Carlson Dago
>rules to put a Greater Deamon inside an Avatar of Khaine
>motherfucking Coteaz
Peak GK
>>
>>92524107
>Necrons
Mindshackle scarabs
>Once per game make an enemy model in melee take a leadership test with 3d6. If they fail you get to choose who they make their attacks against
Monolith’s Portal of Exile
>Every model in combat with a monolith must make a strength test or be sucked into the portal and instantly die
Old Gauss Weapons
>Wound rolls of 6 would count as a glancing hit with the old gauss weapons
Cryptek Schools
>Crypteks used to be able to pick their school and each school had a couple different abilities and wacky wargear to pick from
Old Reanimation
>When a guy dies you lay down the model until you roll for reanimation at the end of the turn.
Old Catacomb Command Barges
>They used to be melee chariots that gave an overlord a vehicles defensive profile while keeping his effective melee. They weren’t meant as support pieces as they are now
>>
>>92524866
I kneel to the one true codex alone
>>
>>92529570
what would you say they were better at than other editions? I personally only played a single game of 8th.

>>92527524
thank you for posting, it's quite comprehensive.
i look forward to reading it in full. My own version has some changes from the original that will definitely make it a bit different while keeping the core alive (hit/wound rolls are rolled into a single roll to cut down on the number of dice needed, charges during move phase, things like that)
>>
>>92505090
For me it’s the 4th edition Dark Angels Codex and in second place the one from 8th edition (and I know the Psychic Awakening: Ritual of the damned isn’t technically a good book, but damn, I have a sweet spot for that little expansion). Now I feel bad for not being able to buy the venerable Deathwing Dreadnought back when it was a thing, that model was so awesome, man, those were the golden days, 4th edition and 8th edition were peak 40k.
>>
>>92505272
>Imperial guard aren't supposed to be an army about veterancy

Lorelet. Cadians, Kriegers, Catachans, Mordians, and Tallarn are all described on the lore as even having their raw recruits fight like hardened veterans.

You just sound like someone who is ass mad about getting stomped by Guard in 5th Edition.
>>
File: zased.gif (2.25 MB, 636x640)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB GIF
>>92524866
>>
>>92505090
The first Tau Codex was glorious. They cut SO MUCH great lore and stories from the 1st ed in 2nd ed just boring bullet point timelines and shit. Also
>muh 2 students of da great master
>stupid fucking 'shadow sun' names
>way of fighting water or whatever bullshit asian kung fu stereotypes
>before was like an actual alien race
>>
>>92543108
Yeah and everyone else they're fighting against are hundreds of years old, have tech tens times better than them, or have a genetic structure built solely for combat. There's little reason why all of an armies guardsmen should have higher stats and more special weapons than other armies. They "fight like hardened veterans" man if all of one of the mookiest army in the game fight like vets, who the hell doesn't?
>>
>>92543201
Cry more. Veteran spam will be a thing again eventually.
>>
>>92542627
You're welcome, I hope you get something from it for your own project.
I thought a lot about keeping all movement in the movement phase, but I ended up decing that, other than saticfying my own autismo, you dontg eain much from it with an IGYO system. In fact all it really does serve to do is nerf those very few melee/ranged hybrid units, which I certainly did not want.
>>
>>92524866
Chaos 3.5 was the tits. The wargear options where sheer insanity. I once gave a normal ass champion the Kai Gun and had him stumble out of a rhino. Damn good times.
Unless you where deathguard which weren't allowed to run heavy weapons.
>>
>>92524107
See
>>92543966

Chaos being Chaos and having near full access to a lengthy armory (but still having a gear budget cap) really helped you do what you wanted to do, while still having some (sometimes painfully bad) restrictions like marks of nurgle being unable to take heavy weapons and thus lacking in anti armor or for no sorcery with marks of khorne.
Though 4th edition was kind of funny since they opened up granting marks meaning you could give raptors the mark of khorne or obliterators the mark of nurgle. Shit got wild. At the massive expense of wargear/ customization.
Chaos 3.5 was the most "your dudes" open canvas I have ever seen in a codex/ tome and I loved it.
>>
3rd and 4th really was the golden era wasn't it?
>>
>>92544379
I have a hard time saying. BRB, I pick 4th ed. 5th and 4th ed are very similar, I favor 4th ed for most of (about 70%) of the differences, but 5th ed had scattering blast templates so If I had to pick one and and not homebrew Im going with 5th.
Each edition has its own "wow this is stupid it was better the other way" moments. Easy to mix them up to be honest. Read all 3 and you wont be able to remember which is which.

Also there are great and bad codicies from all 3.
>>
>>92514648
BECAUSE MORE MEN FOR THE GUARD CRAWL OUT OF PUSSIES.
>>
>>92536596
Necrons 3e suffered from being a new army with not a lot of content, but I also agree the flavor was better. Hate the silent king, simple as. The 5th ed cron book was just also fucking broken, especially once 6th ed launched. Vector striking warscythe lords and mind shackle scarabs was the dummest shit ever. In general I also was not a fan of the 5e tomb kings in space vibe, the 9e war of the worlds vibe is much, much more my thing.
>>
>>92546237
That bit from 3e talking about an unknowable ancient machine draped in a tattered cloak of shadowed time silently moving an entire legion with a simple hand gesture is what got me into 40k more then any fanboying my friends tried.
>>
File: DE-box-codex.jpg (31 KB, 400x330)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
This.
This fucking thing.
This fucking thing was kino.
I loved the evil fae bullshit they used for the deldar and Tau Cultural Enrichment is still one of the funniest things I've ever read out of 40k
>>
I still think how Synapse worked in 9th was the best
Chanelling spells and abilities through it across the field was great
Other than that, 4th Edition Nids no doubt
>>
>>92546692
almost everything Phil Kelly made was good and flavorful
except 6'th edition CSM, that was abit dissapointing
>>
>>92543400
I mean yeah you can have eleventh edition buddy. I'll be surprised if the units still have stats by then.
>>
>>92505090
>Peak codex
As in IG player, that's 5 and 9 for me. MSU mech vets were extremely fun in 5 and 9 has a pretty good crusade section. The 'build your own regiment' thing was also pretty good in 9th, too bad it's gone forever now.
>>
>>92515810
>special characters
>flavour
Ahh okay, a poofter then.
>>
>>92546692
It should be illegal for Phil Kelly to write anything Tau related, what a burden for the faction.
5th dark eldar was too strong to play against 4th ed books.
5th is point by point a downgrade of 4th edition as a game system, it was one of the most exploitable 40k editions.
>>
>>92547174
>>92505272
the duality of man
>>
>>92505272
This is incredibly stupid and wrong. The entire point of the Imperial Guard is that it varies radically across different worlds. There's no standardized training, there are only standards of equipment, and only barely. There absolutely are and should be elite Guard regiments that are actually made up entirely of experienced fighting men, or largely enough that they would appear as such on the tabletop.

The problem is simply one of balance. The default Guard method of "human wave attacks" is employed in the lore because the Imperial Guard are supposed to lose 90% of their engagements, but because they outnumber their enemies far more than 10-1, this doesn't matter. It's Tyranids and such who throw them for a loop by having numerical advantage over them. But the lore abounds with guard regiments who kick the fuck out of more numerous enemies through competence, the Catachans for example.
>>
>>92509450
The IG do recruit women, just not uniformly, because the Guard isn't uniform, each planetary regiment has its own organization, officer corps and military academies.

The only unifying force across the Guard are the Commissars, which actually makes a lot of sense. You have one core of guys who actually know how the Imperial Guard are supposed to act, but you can't just retrain every Guard regiment to meet those standards, so instead you attach members of that cadre to each regiment and give them the authority to shoot anyone who disagrees with said standards.

Since the commissars are themselves a unisex organization, drawn from war orphans, it'd be weird for them to have women, but to exclude it from the regiments they govern.
>>
>>92552366
Well I think it's pretty fantastic that as soon as you give them the option to take "big throbbing boner that fucks your enemy +20 points" every guard army suddenly became a mechanized dick hurtling across the board to fuck. I'm sure every guard player at once was super stoked to come up with lore as to why every squad was a veteran plasma melta msu in a chimera.
But hey, share the love. Maybe my guys should get double special weapons and +1 armor because they're just that cool and gritty. I'll come up with some fluff about it later, promise.
>>
>>92547174
>tfw never got to play with my crusade rules
A whole fucking campaign with barebones crusade traits while all my mates got the fun stuff, and then they announced 10th 3 months after the codex was out
>>
>>92552520
Well, uh, you see /mydudes/ are from an Armoury World with a large contingent of Ratlings so they've got a lot of black market stuff going through and... uh, yeah that's why
>>
File: 12992439646521.jpg (217 KB, 2048x1365)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
>>92505090
For me it's pic realted. Also my fav warhammer art.
>>
>>92546237
Personally I loved the update of 5e crons, and the war of the worlds look just adds more to what I like. It's an interesting mix.
>>
>>92505090
Nono he is right. 5th Ed Guard is as close to perfect for guard as we have gotten so far. 3/3.5 were honestly not very playable. 5th Ed Guard pretty much brought Guard to it's peak. Guardsmen still felt like squish t-shirt/flashlight men but you could really play around with that now and just about every guard archetype had a place. Blob guard, mech guard, vehicle guard. Toss guard back to 5th ed and add in Vehicle orders and that is actually what I would want from a guard codex.

It is really sad Guard has been soft-squatted. "Astra Militarium" has a play style that feels antithetical to what the Guard used to be and Lord Solar makes me want to puke.
>>
>>92507566
>Tau guard.

I am fucking retarded and never actually thought about trying that out. Thanks Anon
>>
File: pic197984.jpg (17 KB, 222x300)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
This.

Not sure if it was the best of the 6th army books (they were all pretty great) but it's definitely the one I read the most.

It was agony to try and pick between the Bloodlines since they were all super cool.

Getting rid of bloodlines was the worst thing GW could possibly do for VC.
>>
>>92505272
You're an imbecile. The regiments of renown are the cream of humanity. Of course in trillions of soldiers there would be those that can survive battle after battle. The tub is that even so, the horrible shite the galaxy has still makes them a low threat overall.
>>
>>92505090
I started with this, good times but man was fucked if you didnt buy a ton of tanks.
>>
>>92505090
This was the height of the hobby, 6-7th for guard was autistic with that platoon shit, holy fuck. writing lists on the fly was aids.
>>
>people still mad about guard spam 15 years later
lmao have sex xenocel.
>>
>>92505090
For me it's Necrons 3th, Black Templars 4th and DE 5th
>>
>>92556250
People forget that 5th edition was the vehicle edition. Blame the game rules, not the army
>>
>>92552520
Yeah I'd much rather fight 200 guardsmen and a squadron of tanks every match. Stop whining, the guard are gay as fuck now so you can enjoy fighting more eldar instead fag.
>>
>>92557380
>200 guardsmen and a squadron of tanks every match
Yeah, like guardsmen do. Nobody complains that tyranids or orks bring a billion shitty units.
>>92556250
Who's mad? It's a solved problem.
>>92555035
>cream of humanity
>there would be those that can survive battle after battle
But all of them? The entire fighting force made up of survivors of multiple battles when they're so shit they have to shoot them to stop them from running away?
It's particularly the special weapon spam. Imagine taking an army where the big hook is "the lasgun is worth more than the soldier" and then going "wait no fuck that everyone gets a plasma gun. actually they have more plasma guns than any other imperial force".
>>
>>92505272
How to tell you are a tourist without saying you are tourist Tome VIII
>>
>>92509450
>Is another recent development and just as fucking retarded as Femstodes, if not more so.
Schaeffer's Last Chancers had two chicks.

The guard are like the Eldar Guardians, they pick everyone over 14 that can wield a rifle.
>>
>>92514073
>If you're saying we need to bring this kind of design back though then I agree.
Of course I do. Who the fuck wouldn't?
>>
>>92505090
Being able to kit and kinda customize your heroes was the best and most broken shit ever.
>>
>>92557630
Why do you think a tourist would be starting a discussion on very specific balance issues from like 15 years ago?
>>
>>92505272
Cadians or Valhallans for the meat grinder guard
Catachans for the veterans.
Everyone else lands somewhere in between.
>>
When does the Tau codex ‘officially’ release? I know it had already been available in the kroot box, but my app is still showing just the index for Tau, has it launched officially? Is it on the shelves at GW?
>>
>>92505090
Does anybody have the missing weapon stats page for this codex? I have looked everywhere amd cannot find it. Otherwise this was peak orks
>>
>>92505272
Nah 4th ed. guard was the shiz. My brother ran carapace drop troops tossing democharges in do-or-die deep strikes. Was hilarious
>>
>>92558212
I have the book sitting in a box somewhere. I'll try to find it later today
>>
>>92552520
>I'm sure every guard player at once was super stoked to come up with lore as to why every squad was a veteran plasma melta msu in a chimera.
The lore is that my guards are a mechanized regiment, you retarded faggot
>>
>>92558277
Damn did the car salesmen throw in five thousand special weapons and carapace armor in as a factory bonus or what? If it's not good enough for steel legion it's not good enough for yourdudes.
>>
>>92558690
>Damn did the car salesmen throw in five thousand special weapons and carapace armor in as a factory bonus or what?
Yes
>If it's not good enough for steel legion it's not good enough for yourdudes.
Not for you to decide, faggot
>>
>>92562556
Well GW said you should eat shit almost 15 years ago so no skin off my teeth.
>>
>>92562793
I'm still running full mech guard though
*spits in your face*
>>
>>92562880
>still
lmao he still plays warhammer
>>
>>92558212
Weapon stats? There's 3 pages of Ork equipement (p. 34-35-36), is that what you're looking for?
>>
>>92505090
You already posted the peak codex cover art wise for my favourite army, OP.
>>
>>92505090
CSM 3.5
Hh1.0 for knights
7th traitor legions
7th dark angles
8th guard because lol stratagem spam
>>
>>92558690
>Armageddon Armoured Fists do not exist
>>
>>92557524
>Nobody complains that tyranids or orks bring a billion shitty units.
>both have been complaining for years that units like looted tanks and carnifexes have been trash
Maybe I should not be soft forced in to playing an army the way you think I should, faggot.
>>
>5e Ultramarines
Excellent representation of named units, being fairly costed for what they brought and having unique strengths each.
Solid strength across the board, neither overpowered nor weak. Could reliably handle all but the most WAAC armies.
Made CC terminators a fearsome unit again, the gold standard of elite melee throughout the edition and beyond.
>you fools celebrate the codex for being either overpowered or having pretty pictures
>I celebrate mine for being respectable on the table in a humble, straight forward way
>we are not the same
>>
>>92566962
What's with you tards and thinking "taking nothing but special weapon msu vets in chimeras" means "using chimeras is wrong"? Are you doing that thing where you're conflating the two to defend only one?

>>92566970
Actually you should because that's the whole point of playing a specific army. Hurr durr what if want my orks to all be really accurate and trained? Well then don't play orks. A unit being not worth it's cost isn't the same as a unit being cheap, either.
>>
File: Eye.jpg (207 KB, 957x1057)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>>92524866
2003 year ,3.5 Ed CSM codex + Eye of terror , you have freedom to build pure IW army with basilisk , pure WB on demons , or Lost and Damned Army with chaos ogryn guards oblits and sentinels leeding by exalted champions horde of mutants . Best Year Eva!
>>
File: 20180517_204847.jpg (2.01 MB, 3024x4032)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
2nd edition Eldar codex.
>>
>>92567000
The rules were pretty nice, but the new lore in that was awful.
>>
>>92557524
>>Special weapon spam
Yes, this. Nobody would have brought hardened, badass veterans for their BS4 if it also didn't come with 3x plasmagun slots, or meltaguns.
Crucially, Imperial guard also had 6man special weapon squads, who also came with 3x weapon slots but were never popular because they didn't have the ablative bodies to keep them firing, and they required you to take a platoon of actual guardsmen as your troops.

Being able to take veterans as troops without any penalty solved this by adding bodies and BS and flexibility over platoons.
If vetspam comes around again it better come with some drawback.
Ok, sure, your veterans have lived through an entire campaign against the rectal pirates of the goatse nebula, and have become finely tuned killing machines through attrition of the weak and constant fighting.

That attrition also wasted all the big heavy equipment the regiment was issued when it was fresh, so now your guys have to fight with less armoured support and ammo than before.
Maybe you can't supply 40 men with 12 plasmaguns, and you'll have to salvage the grenade launchers that 3rd platoon used to operate before the pirates got to them.
Maybe every squad has its own individual Loadout because standardisation went out the cargo bay with all your supplies in month 2 of the goatse conflict.
Maybe you can run 12 plasmaguns, but you'll only get a few shots at most and then need to either withdraw or fight on with bayonets and combat knives and salvaged autopistols
Maybe each squad has their own unique form of PTSD that can make them less reliable in combat

Ultimately, these issues will be solved when the veteran regiment gets resupplied with platoons of FNGs, boxes of ammo, guns and crazy pills- at which point you can start fielding them using regular regimental rules
>>
>>92571380
Ben, no one wants to join your discord.
>>
>>92516078
honestly a good contender for the best codex GW has ever put out
>>
>>92558212
Nope GW forgot to print the stats table, I think they had an in-store errata page but I never got it. I just ran the weapon stats off the rulebook army list.
>>
File: traitor legions.jpg (302 KB, 1125x1500)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
>>92505090
The peak of CSM Flavor, they've come close to it since but never quite managed to ram this much into a single publication
>Legions with rivalries get bonus vs their sworn enemies (TS vs wolves, etc)
>6 relics
>6 warlord traits
>6 tactical objectives
>for every legion

>expanded chapter tactics for all of the chaos legions
>Iron Warrior Oblits,
>Alpha Legion Chosen
>Night Lord Raptors
>Black Legion Terminators
>Word Bearer Possessed
>all of them count as Troop choices for their legions

>Alpha Legion hiding their true Warlord
>World Eaters have consistent T1 charge potential
>Death Guard infantry all have FNP and can unlock the ability to reroll 1s on FNP tests
>Magnus and TS have massive buffs for a wider psychic ability pool when that still mattered
>>
>>92572529
3.5 Codex was better
>>
>>92572529
Codex supplement: Bloat

Six million special rules for each Legion is what got us into this mess. 20 different variants on smelly fat marine with names like adjectivenounverber All you need is a line or two for theme and then god specific gear. Somewhere between the 3.5 and this, with LATD thrown in is the answer
>>
>>92520599
Good

A conscript horde should be the exception not the rule. The table itself is in scale about the size of a football field with some stands. Games of 40k are about a single moment in a grander battle, assassinations or big important attacks on important areas of the front. Stormtroopers should be involved in such actions.
>>
File: TanithMinis.jpg (33 KB, 442x234)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>92514698
yikes
>>
>>92578223
A conscript horde would be whiteshields, not guard platoons. You were forced to take platoons to unlock other units in many older editions because that's what guardsmen were. You didn't somehow have more units of veterans than you did grunts.
>>
>>92578223
Games of 40k that include guard are not exclusively about hyper skilled veterans disembarking from transports and firing rare and dangerous weapons.

You'll find that thematically, the Imperial guard is about skilled but ordinary soldiers with lasguns holding the line or advancing into the teeth of enemy fire to achieve their objectives, with elements like artillery, tanks, veterans and so on supporting that action.

Tank companies exist, Mounted regiments exist, mechanised regiments exist and abhuman and veteran companies exist, but none of them are representative of how the guard ordinarily fights.

There should be rules for skew lists like this, but they shouldn't be the default, which they were for 5th.
>>
>>92546692
This. Phenomenal book, great internal balance, lot of completely different builds that were viable, myriad of options, full of flavor, good for competitive play.
>>
File: 1583877858-1695007760.jpg (266 KB, 768x1024)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
Kino, still got my copy and read it on occasion
>>
>>92578265
>Elite divisions aren't allowed
>stormtroopers need to lug around a bunch of conscripts
GAY
>>92578657
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE
Cringe desu
>>
>>92505090
>unzips dick
>>
>>92505090

Eldar 2nd

It was my entry to the game with colorful minis who could fly and teleport and shoot bullets from their face. Sure I was a terrible player and a worse painter but omg I didn't care. my dudes were awesome.
>>
>>92578773
>I want guard, but not if they play like guard
>>
>>92578775
When my sisters became actually viable in 3rd. The faith rolls were so kino and flavorful. Too many people didn't understand the dangers of the jump pack Canoness.
>>
>>92505090
The 9th ed GSC codex is a goddamn work of art. It went pretty much unchanged from release until the end of the edition, with only some minor points changes, and GSC stayed an effective and fun army throughout the immense amounts of bullshit of that edition. The rules were a triumph for interesting, fluffy play thanks to the crossfire and proficient planning mechanics. Pretty much every unit had a role and the internal balance among them was great, everything had a use. The crusade rules were so fucking fun, I played through a whole campaign and I've never had more fun with 40k than plotting, planning and sometimes exploding things to prepare for the Day of Ascension. The constant threat of being exposed before you're finished preparing, the fun objectives that gave Day of Ascension bonuses but nothing for your current game and the just generally amazing flavor.
>>
File: IMG_3243.jpg (1.7 MB, 4032x3024)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
>>92524866
Death Guard was weird in this though. No auto cannon for cult terminators?

I thus play the 3rd edition codex 1+ chapter approved with my mates.

>>92525261
Yup and 3e nids had mutants with special weapons, more leadership, acid blood or giant stature!
>>
>>92578775
GW, WHERE IS MY ALIEN HUNTERS CODEX?!!
>>
>>92583585
See codex space marines
>>
File: Cmon Man.jpg (101 KB, 760x340)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>92505090
>>92524107
>>92526522
I've left the ones I'm not familiar with blank
>Admech
I like 9th, but translating it to 4.5e would be a pain and we're never getting Fires of Cyraxus. Their HH2.0 rules are definitely worth a look though.
>Chaos Space Marines
3.5 obviously, pure kino and SOVL
>Custodes
Horus Heresy 2.0 is fantastic
>Daemons
???
>Dark Eldar
5th edition
>Eldar
4th or 7th ed
>GSC
???
>Grey Knights
3e Codex: Daemonhunters
>Imperial Guard
3.5 for the doctrines, 5e for unit variety and order system
>Knights
Get out
>Necrons
3rd edition, before the nulore
>Orks
3rd edition, but 4th was ok
>Sisters
???
>Space Marines
4e and 5e
>Squats
You're not even a proper army, stick to Necromunda
>Tau
6th edition
>Traitor guard
Codex: Eye of Terror
>Tyranids
4th edition

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.