[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1482414848713.jpg (2.9 MB, 3008x2000)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB JPG
Ideally things that are easy to implement but lead to a huge increase in fun at the table.
I want to hear what you've all got!!

One of mine is the "Voluntary Setback," which works like this:
To make well-rounded characters, you ideally want character to have flaws. But there's no incentive to act out flaws if it hurts the party's goals.
So I have a system where, instead of traditional Inspiration rules, players gain Inspiration points by "taking a setback", which means voluntarily rolling with disadvantage on something they believe their character would be bad at (e.g. my character gets nervous interacting with higher-class people, mine doesn't do well in the heat, mine has bad ranged aim bc of their one eye, etc).
The players who take a setback get an Inspiration point to use on something their character actually excels at later, and the other players aren't as mad at them for intentionally throwing a roll for the sake of RPing.
>>
>>92514196
if the system has it, removing any and all active social mechanics
passive informative ones are fine
I have played with one too many foot in mouth retards as social characters
>>
>>92514271
kinda sounds like a problem with your table, but that's okay!!

do you replace the social mechanics with anything or does it just all become conversations with the GM?
>>
>>92514325
generally just reaction rolls if the system lacks it, but otherwise yes just talking to the gm
been playing with my current group (~13 people, 3 gms, many games in different systems) for 6 years and it's worked well
>>
>>92514196
>le characters need flaws
>5e D&D
Theater kid detected.
>>
>>92514551
go play video games, they do the math for you
>>
>>92514196
this question depends on so many factors that it is pretty much irrelevant. What ruleset are you using? What play culture are you and your table coming from? Story-gamers have much different homebrew requirements from OSR players, from trad players, etc.
>>
>>92515551
bro that doesn’t matter just post your favorite homebrew rules you’re overcomplicating it for yourself
>>
>>92516148
>a PbtA playbook is useful for someone playing Dungeon Crawl Classics
stop being retarded
>>
>>92516174
>h-h-how am I supposed to read about an interesting mechanic if I'm not playing that game right now??? it's not like these games all share similar frameworks and are easily relatable??

>>92514196
our best homebrew is taking the career stats from BoL and using them to replace the Personality and Intelligence stats in DCC. we Keep luck and also limit it to three careers instead of BoL's normal 4.
>>
played a Mork Borg game where the GM let us roll to worldbuild it was fun becuase the source book is so limited on the worldbuilding. cant remembe what he called it, it was like 'weaving" and it was the same as your spellcaster stat
oh yeah he also added a spellcaster stat bc i cant remember if RAW mork borg has anything besides spell scrolls that anyone can use no problem

Captcha: ROYG haha only a few more and ill habe a rainbow
>>
File: 1699886588008303.png (921 KB, 1080x1185)
921 KB
921 KB PNG
>>92514196
Removing Charisma/Persuasion/Deception/Insight/Intimidation as stats. Doesn't matter what the system is, it's improved immensely when everyone gets to participate in the social aspects, not just the one asshole who built for it. Builds are for combat.
>>
>>92514196
I like the complication/pressure die, where if you want to add extra suspense to a scene, you roll a d6 that acts as a rounds-until-complication countdown. Reroll 1s. Good for things like fighting in a burning building or on top of a runaway train, or the classic collapsing dark temple.
>>
File: 1704646972527232.jpg (220 KB, 1200x1200)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>92520730
This actually wouldn't work in Honor+Intrigue, since it has social combat, social tricks to debuff in regular combat, and its charisma equivalent (Flair) is useful for some outright combat moves, usually the flashy-and-intimidating ones, like cutting a Z on some guy's shirt or shaving his stache.
>>
>>92514196
Got interested in the thread because the subject said homebrew mechanics, but the post itself just seems to be a bunch of narrative faggotry that can easily just be done in freeform instead of under the pretense of a game.
I can guarantee you aren't going to like anything I have to offer (actual game mechanics).
>>
File: 1516560101545.png (37 KB, 586x578)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>92514196
>players gain Inspiration points by "taking a setback", which means voluntarily rolling with disadvantage on something they believe their character would be bad at
So you reinvented the wheel by making the equivalent of the mutants & masterminds "complications" rule but more gay and inconsistent. Fucking 5elets secondaries.
>>
>>92522834
You honestly expected anything better from a 5e DnDrone?
>>
This is a good threat, shat up by two to three retards. Just fucking delete /tg/ at this point.

To contribute:
I liked the FFG RPGs mechanic that generates random happenstances without fucking player's rolls, so now I have following houserule for dicepool games:
>Players use two dice of a different color in their pool
>If both show [best result], a helpful occurance happens, if both show [worst result], a bsd coincidence happens
>This does note invalidate a successful roll or makes you succeed on failed roll
The random happenstances happen at a nice rate and it gives the players and GM enough incentive to shake up the moment to moment play.
>>
>>92523383

Agreed. If OP began with 5E, then that's where he began. We all gotta start somewhere and I'm glad OP is trying his hand at making something new and I hope he continues to do so and improve on what he did make.

I gotta mention the Call of C'thulhu mechanic of Pushing a Roll. If your roll came out to be a failure, you can choose to roll it again. If you do roll it again and it's still a failure, the consequence is even more dire.

You're sneaking through a manor inhabited by cultists and you stepped on a squeaky floorboard (failure). You rolled again, and it's still a failure. That squeaky floorboard emits a very loud creak that cannot be ignored and the cultists run to investigate the noise. You better start running!
>>
File: chain coif glowing sword.jpg (295 KB, 1280x1862)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
>>92514196
here, go nuts

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?536900-WIP-(please-ignore)&p=22405664#post22405664
>>
>>92523383
>>92523466
>Agreed. If OP began with 5E, then that's where he began
That's not an excuse, we live in an era where literally everything is at a google search away from you, i started with 2e as a teen but that didn't prevent me from sneaking a pick to other games, that sort of thing should come with the "being a GM" (as op obviously is) territory. Also being called names about minute shit on 4chan is to be expected, take it with levity you gigantic faggot.
>>
>>92523626

So you're going to be name-calling because we're on 4chan and that's what you do to fit in with the others here? I may be a gigantic faggot, but at least I don't feel the need to conform to 4chan just to "fit in" like you seem to be implying to.

I never said OP should only stick to 5E either. He should go and check out other games when he feels ready. He certainly won't if you pester him about it and create adversity to it. Remember the resistance D&D 3.X players had to D&D 4E? The way 4E was advertised was "Your game sucks. Go play 4e". How many 3.X players jumped ship for it and how strong was the resistance to it? Enough that Pathfinder got a strong foothold.
>>
>>92520873
H+I has some really fun mechanics hidden in the rulebook. My favorites include the fact that Armor technically exists and works as you'd expect in-game, but gives you a -1 to Flair just because armor is considered unfashionable in the 1650s.
I also love that if you disarm an enemy and you want to continue the fight, you can get back any lost advantage by throwing them back their weapon.
>>92523383
question: do you mean, within their pool, there exists two dice of a different color than the rest of their pool, or do you mean that with their pool, half the dice are one color and half are the other? apologies i'm pretty stupid.
>>92523466
ofc I understand that the second roll is supposed to narratively overwrite the first, but i'm laughing at the idea that your buddy steps on a squeaky floorboard, you turn around and give him a look, and then he steps on an even louder floorboard
>>92523598
this is cool.
>"Can I shoot them in the leg?" Sure. Attack with a -4 penalty (can't be a sneak attack or a critical hit), if you hit they make a fort save vs DC 10 + damage, if they fail, treat them as having stepped on a caltrop.
I assume asking to shoot them in an even smaller body part, like the hand, is a bigger penalty? or no, just for simplicity sake?
I see your darkvision changes. I personally dislike darkvision for vibe reasons but if a player really wants to have it my homebrew rule is that having darkvision removes your color vision. Allows for fun party interactions that way.
>>
>>92523737
>So you're going to be name-calling because we're on 4chan
No i'm going to namecall you because it's funny, the fact that you decided to take the thing seriously makes it even more funny faggot. It's an anonymous site, of course people will act brash and hyperbolic, it should be an implicit expectation.

Also my namecall post pointed him to another game sharing that same mechanic he reinvented effectively lending him a place where to look at and pick other stuff if he likes.
Btw i'm not against the idea of having favorites, op can keep playing 5e all of his life modding the shit out of it, i'm just going to throw him a jab for it.
>>
>>92523794
>I assume asking to shoot them in an even smaller body part, like the hand, is a bigger penalty? or no, just for simplicity sake?
never thought about it; no player has ever asked
ive seen "can I shoot them in the leg?" multiple times though
im not adamantly against it, but theres no "stepped on a caltrop" type rule for hand injuries and its not as clear what it would entail
>>
File: fantasy map.jpg (3.33 MB, 5393x7571)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB JPG
We have tried this homebrew change to Hit Points in several game engines. we call them posture points.
Every "hit" you take to your posture represents some effect that has no appreciable injury on you, either because it was a near miss, “wearing down your luck” or simply a blow that does no damage, “e.g. sword bouncing off a dragon’s scales”
When you are in the bottom 25% of your posture points, your luck starts to wear thin. Now, narratively, you receive injuries, (“the injury zone”) but while they may cause some scars, these are not permanent injuries. these are things a typical action hero would still walk away from no problem. blows to the head, shallow slashes on the chest or cheek, minor burns to the hands.
In the injury zone, many NPCs are expected to change their behavior. They now will roll to flee, negotiate, surrender, or enter a state of adrenaline-fueled desperation and strike harder than before.
However, your posture finally breaks when you reach 0 posture points. This is when your luck truly runs out. Now, any damage dealt against you will most likely kill you, and if it doesn’t, it will impart a significant, long-lasting injury.
When damage against you drops below 0 posture points, you enter negative points. When you enter negative points, you must make a saving throw.
if you fail, you die.
if you succeed, you are struck with a grievous, impactful injury. This can include losing a limb, an eye, a tongue, or something similar.
The DC of this Saving throw is the absolute value of your (currently negative) posture points. You roll 10% of your max posture points, rounded to the nearest whole number, plus 1d20.
So say you were brought down to -9 Posture, & your max posture points happen to be 30.
10% of 30 = 3.
So you roll 1d20 + 3 as your saving throw.
If the results are below 9, you die.
If you roll 9 or above, you are left with a permanent, devastating injury.
>>
>>92523817
>>92523598
you don't have to explain all of them, but im curious about your banned spells list. what makes some of them game-breaking or annoyingly banable?
>>
>>92516309
no hate but why even play DCC then, where a lot of the time personality and intelligence are used as specific checks for dungeon funnel rooms/traps? maybe i've just never played a DCC game that wasn't a dungeon; I feel like it's one game where the "social" stats are barely ever used socially. am I right to guess that someone in your group just wanted to play dungeon gauntlets and you decided to compromise?
>>
File: Prëtëntiös Gæmë.png (182 KB, 1554x1556)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
>>92516372
>>
>>92523811

You haven't rustled a single one of my jimmies, but if you want to laugh at your own jokes I'm not going to judge.

Yes they did point him to another game, but with the brashness and hyperbole you're exhibiting, you're also engaging him in a game of Chicken, where if he does go with the game you suggested, he becomes "the Chicken". But at least you outed yourself as a troll unlike some of the others here.

If that makes me a faggot, then so be it. But I feel like it's more constructive to present the alternatives like it's your passion or something you love, and to present what you don't like about a system or two when the other is clearly engaged with you and inviting it. Who knows? They might actually try something other than 5E that way.

And also, fuck Reddit. I can actually discuss things on 4chan that I never could on Reddit thanks to the anonymity, the lack of karma, and the lack of moderator worship. I think it's more prudent to use that anonymity to discuss what's really important to you if in a thread that it's being invited in than to squander it on low-effort trolling. I think that openness to discussing ideas, no matter where they started from, was what made /tg/ so amazing back then.
>>
>>92514196
What system?

> Changeling: The Lost (as Fate would have it.)
Whenever you're not in a scene, but could reasonably stumble into it and want to, roll Wyrd. On a success, you happen to walk into it.

> Any system (Circle Jerk / of Praise)
At the end of the session, everyone points out something someone else did that made the game more enjoyable. If they do, they get a praise point. If everyone points everyone else, forming a circle of sort, they get 2. Those can be spent to change scenes in a manner that is not contradicting the GM and grants an advantage or opportunity.

The car pile-up? It has a trailer that carried cars and could be used as a ramp. The abandonned mansion now has a chandelier to swing from a balcony to the other or crash onto foes. That sort of things.
>>
>>92524045
lmao this is a spot on parody of mork borg, made me laugh.
It's a beautiful artbook but not much of a game.
we still had fun at least
>>
>>92524313
I like the circle jerk, the way the points are used reminds me of how Fortune Points (or Luck points? I can't remember what they're called) are spent in H+I
>>
>>92523870
basically they either add something to the game that I don't want it to have, have stupid mechanics and aren't really worth fixing, or are just bad taste
air walk for instance; it lets clerics fly (I dont want that) and is weird and silly
awaken means there are intelligent speaking animals around; some could even have class levels; no thanks
animate object lets you turn furniture into monsters; no thanks, my world will stick to actual constructs or summoned monsters or what have you
>>
>>92516372
>played a Mork Borg game
Impossible, considering it isn't even a game.
>>
>>92514605
Go read a book, they do the storytelling and character development for you.
>>
>>92523794
>question: do you mean, within their pool, there exists two dice of a different color than the rest of their pool, or do you mean that with their pool, half the dice are one color and half are the other? apologies i'm pretty stupid.
Two dice in the regular pool. Picking Shadowrun as an example, if the samuria hits a guy with his 18 dice, two of those are a different color to mark the "chance" dice.
>>
>>92524153
you should spend less time inventing mind games to schizo post about and spend more time not being a retard
>>
>>92542076

I accept your concession, then
>>
>>92514196
That sounds like a good way to incentivize RPing flaws. I might implement that in my next campaign.

Unfortunately I don't have much. I primarily GM 5e unfortunately, so a lot of my homebrew is just patching up things I don't like. I give every character a feat at first level and both the Ability score increase and a feat every 4. I also make it clear I'm willing to work to add flavorful feats for all my players. All that because I think character creation is awfully cookie cutter, ideally I'd do something with classes themselves, but thats more work than I want to put in. I also make it clear that I'm willing to do stuff with weapon balance because I think its kind of lame that every rogue uses a Rapier because its damage is better and similar issues.
Lastly I add injuries when players make death saves. Mostly cosmetic, but I think nearly dying should have some consequences.
>>
Does anyone have a way to improve passive perception for 5e?
I really hate how it works. Because me, as GM, will always either make something that will be detected or not detected if I know those values. There's no agency to those rules if I'm prepping something. It sort of works for opposed rolls, but otherwise just isn't interesting.
The only thing I ever came up with is just making everyone roll perception every time they enter a new room or area regardless of if something was there or not, so I wasn't constantly tipping my hand.
>>
>>92542513
I usually just ignore it but I know what you mean, it's an awkward system to work with if your players 'expect' to use it, since it is a free above-averaeg roll without any effort.

The only way I interact with it is if my players are actively searching the room but in the wrong place. For example, if my player wih 10 PP searches a desk for a key to a chest and it's not there, he won't find anything. But if the 20 PP guy searches the empty desk, he might notice the painting on the wall is slightly slanted in an otherwise OCD room, revealing the key behind it when he looks.
>>
>>92514196
>come into thread expecting good mechanics
why do i even bother
anyways, one that i like for games with resources to spend (usually but not always metacurrencies) is to make XP factor in how much of that resource you spend
incentivizes players to engage in accruing and spending that resource generously, which in turn reinforces the game's design (if the resource is a well designed mechanic)
>>
>>92542513
In a good system you’d be able to do something like manually set your passive perception level, with higher focus leading to exhaustion or mental stress. But 5e is allergic to interesting choices, so even exhaustion is neutered after a single break.
>>
>>92542462
>Lastly I add injuries when players make death saves. Mostly cosmetic, but I think nearly dying should have some consequences.
kinda related to >>92523838
>>
>>92527322
>My players can't fly away from my storyshitting.
You're the Oblivion of my Morrowind.
>>
>>92550117
Im the skyrim of your morrowind
>>
>>92550117
>>92551034
i am your daggerfall you little shits
>>
>>92551034
Epic reddit moment.
>>
File: skyrim no u.png (603 KB, 828x761)
603 KB
603 KB PNG
>>92557451
>>
>>92557451
This is the dark souls of humour d2thyn
>>
>>92523383
>>92523466
Not OP but I like these two ideas and am planning to combine them.
>succeed AND or BUT to denote a positive or negative flavor to the roll
>a failed roll can be gambled on to fix it, but a second failure makes it even worse
>>
>>92557795
swap the brains but keep the anger and you're basically there
>>
>>92558916
t. morrobrainlet
>>
>>92558939
you can say what you want about the two games, but skyrim's systems were massively dumbed down in comparison
>>
File: its fun.png (1.32 MB, 1400x752)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
>>92558989
sure
>>
File: 1712825911378356.png (461 KB, 720x720)
461 KB
461 KB PNG
>Thread derailed already
I have nothing extra to post, I am browsing for a non-combat, non-survival related mechanic to add to my game. Potentially social, but I am open to suggestion.
>>
>>92559033
what, just anything?
>>
>>92559249
yes
>>
>>92522834
Also this is basically fate points
>>
>>92562798
Fate is the perfect "I only want to roleplay, I don't want to learn any mechanics" system. What's the opposite, autistic mechanical excellence?
>>
>>92567820
I believe FATAL goes pretty autistic on mechanical stats, though it's really just a /tg/ meme and I have no idea how good it is as a playable system. (The game setting as written seems to be low-tier trash, though)

For mechanically excellent games I'd go for Old School Essentials (or an OSR of your choice), a Cepheus Engine game such as Hostile (or old-school Traveller), or a D6 System game.

R Talsorian's Interlock system (Cyberpunk 2020) tried to be both mechanical and autistic, including its weapon stats, but never quite made it; the closest we've got to an OSR-like refresh is the incomplete Hunter/Seeker fan project. Reading the SRD for their follow-up, Fuzion, this is even more autistic but I've never played a Fuzion game - partly as there are so few.
>>
>>92559033
>use equipment to get a bonus to a roll, at the risk of losing access to the item
>you choose which result (pass/fail) leads to you losing the gear
>>
>>92567820
Das Schwarze Auge.

It is mechanically excellent but I get a headache everytime I read one of the books.

(though part of that could be the english translations of the original kraut)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.