[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: thevaultofretroscifi.jpg (92 KB, 466x806)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
Looking for a list of all the possible "signs" of a person who is a witch/sorcerer/touched by the gods/etc from any & all myths & cultures.

Just from the outset though, I don't care about witches teets, hermaphrodites, or any weird sex stuff, im keeping it somewhat PG because high schoolers are in the group & i dont need any overly concerned mothers making my life worse. Looking to spice up a game so magic users have obvious and weird signs advertising their power
>>
>>92517049
I will just grab some stuff from rifts for you OP this one is the russia specific witch

Notable Vulnerabilities of the Night Witch
• The light of day is unwelcomed and unpleasant (prefers the
night, shadows and cloudy days).
• Magical fire and M.D. plasma do double damage.
• Rainwater collected during the first thunderclap of a storm
burns like acid, inflicting 4D6 M.D. per level of experience.
Holy Water is bitter and stings the flesh, but does no damage.
• The Night Witch has no special saves vs magic of any kind,
not even charms and talismans work for them, they are vul-
nerable to magic.
• Insanity. Roll for one phobia at level two, roll for one obses-
sion at level four and roll for one random insanity at level
six.
• Lastly, they are vulnerable to their own greed, lust and
vengeful nature. This means the Night Witch finds it difficult
to resist extracting revenge or trying to get something or
somebody they want, and causes them to overplay their hand,
stand and fight when they should retreat, and to take foolish
chances. Their lust for wealth, valuables, and power, as well
as lust for revenge, can also be used to lure them out in the
open and into ambushes and traps. However, the cunning and
ruthless Night Witch is no stranger to deception and guile,
and will anticipate treachery and unleash her full power
against those fools who dare to challenge her. In addition,
should the witch triumph or escape, she will not forget or for-
give their attack and plot her retribution (makes for a great
recurring villain).
>>
>>92517156
I'm looking for stuff like, covered in boils, iron teeth, cat eyes, etc
>>
>>92517214
ahh
in that regard Rifts only offers the third nipple option(to feed their familar blood) but that goes against your request.
beyond specific weaknesses that can be used to expose them if they are hiding.
Physical manifestation of powers granted like claws superhuman physiques, moving hair, blood that is some element like fire.
For general appearance stuff there is a table for tieflings aasimar and the like floating around but here are a few I remember/like
weird eyes: All one color, abnormal colors, patterns in the iris, animal eyes
weird hair/skin colors and textures coal black skin or hair that shines like silver
Features of their "patron": wings, halo, horns, animal bits, scales anything that is shared with the thing that grants their power
Animals either really like them or really hate them
Atypical limbs or symmetry: on arm is that of a dragon or half of their body looks burned
Any stuff that thematically links the character to the thing that grants them their power
>>
>>92517214
WFRP 2e has some of these. Dark magic users tend to have ones that are quite unpleasant. Regular wizards have a few examples given in Career Compendium and elsewhere. I don't have the books in front of me or I'd be more specific. You might consider some less extreme but still noticeable ones like having a reflection that isn't mirrored, having a shadow that faces the wrong way, lacking finger or toenails, I dunno.
>>
>>92517049
I was always a fan of the second iris in one of the eyes in demonic possession movies
One of those things that can be super subtle but also a pretty cool reveal
>>
>>92517049
Skinwalkers having eyes that shine in the dark like an animal's, even in their human form.
>>
>>92517330
Second iris? Can you post an example?
>>
>>92517156
>>
File: tapetum lucidum.png (2.38 MB, 1600x1089)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB PNG
>>92517599
NTA, but I'm assuming they're referring to the tapetum lucidum. Humans do not have that but other animals, like cats, do.
>>
I've spent some time searching for a low-intensity mutation table like what you want but it's surprisingly hard. All of the ones I've found go straight for the tentacle arms and what have you, there's no room for subtle shit.
>>
File: Mohammad Hussain.jpg (40 KB, 615x409)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>92517049
Just research images of people with strange boils and tumors from the third world
>>
>>92517780
That's why I'm asking lol. Fuck me it's even hard to Google this shit anymore. I asked Google for Witch signs & i got "top ten signs your a powerful witch" from some fat Wiccan bitchs blog or some shit. I remember being in middle school & finding serious occult & mythical stuff, now it's all worthless bullshit
>>
Magicians are able to mantle animal spirits and become more like those animals. Powerful magicians will physically transform into those animals and leave their skins like spare coats in their homes. Magicians know secret lore without having to be told. Magicians are drawn to other magicians, whether knowingly or unknowingly, and will probe them for magical lore. This is how child magicians are uncovered. If they are not given a righteous master, they will find an evil one where their progress cannot be seen.
>>
>>92518312
If your nuns start meowing at each other, that's not a bride of god, that's a witch.
>>
Mages/witches/shaman/etc. will <insert symptom of OCD, ADHD, autism, or schizo* disorders here>
>>
>>92517599
Fuck this was the closest I could find, and I wish I could remember what movie did it best cause it's been in a few things
But basically pic related, the possessed person started acting strange and then their eyes rolled back into their head and one of them had a different colored pupil
>>
>>92518782
Forgot pic fuck
>>
File: images (1).jpg (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>92518790
Ah. I like when the iris splits like a cell doing mitosis.
>>
>>92518329
They're just singing Rossini
>>
>>92517049
In Africa witches are often unaware that they are witches. They can cast curses on people by harboring ill-intent on them. So when someone believes they are under a curse, the town stops and gets together and figures out who might be the Witch. Now- these Witch-Hunts are pretty civil-affairs, mostly just figuring out who might hate the guy enough to cast a curse without even realizing it. Once the Witch has been determined the village asks them to lift the curse by getting over their grudge. If they do, then everything is solved and everyone goes home. If the Witch refuse, then he or she is exiled from the village.

By the way, this practice is continued in the modern era. Some south-asian societies have a pretty similar view on things, but the view is more that negative emotions like inherently poison the air (think like accruing bad karma), so when two people in a tribe have a beef, the whole village sits down until the beef is resolved. The goal is not to seek justice, but to make the two parties involved to stop holding onto their beef.
>>
>>92524735
Cool, very interesting but... why bring it up? Do Africans have any spooky shamans or witches with bizarre physical traits?
>>
>>92525930
OP asked for lore about witchcraft from any culture, and that's some witchcraft lore I thought OP would find interesting?

Anyway I don't think there are any physical marks, like I said the sign is someone in the area is under a curse. Witchcraft over there isn't something like a genetic condition (just like it's not in Europe), it's something where a Witch could be completely unaware they are a Witch or that the cursed someone.
>>
Maybe you could look up reasons why women were burned at the stake during the witch hunts. There should be a few physical traits mentioned.
Only one I remember is a "Hexensträhne", German for witch's streak, which is when a person has a spot on their head where their hair is a different colour, usually white. Like Jaina from WoW has.
>>
>>92527000
Hanging was inconsistent. There's a case of one woman who was hung and woke up on the way to the graveyard two hours later. Since she'd already 'served her sentence' they let her go (they figured God must have intervened or something).

Now there is a bit of lore regarding how to burn someone at the stake. Use wet wood and tinder to create a lot of smoke that hopefully makes the person pass out from lack of oxygen before they are set on fire. That way they die without feeling pain (in theory). Use dry wood if you want them to feel themselves burned to death.
>>
File: field4.jpg (541 KB, 1414x1414)
541 KB
541 KB JPG
>>92517049
Being the seventh son of a seventh son is believed to bestow magic and prophesy powers in British folklore.
>>
>>92527075
>>92525972
>>92527045
Derr herr OP asked for a list of physical traits, lets instead digress into talking about dumb shit instead
>>
>>92529471
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>92532206
Bitch city population (you)
>>
>>92517049
Recently read a lot about upirs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upi%C3%B3r), which are more like witches than vampires actually. In slav folklore one of the surest sign that someone is born with supernatural abilites is to be born with their birth caul on their head. That's the main thing to recognize a vjesci (kind of cross between living vampire and witch). A person bound to become an upir/striga/vampire after death is born with teeth.
Other unusual signs to recognize upirs are: lack of armpit hair, two sets of teeth, extremely ruddy complexion. Could be easily adapted for witches.
>>
>>92539792
Double teeth, now THATS something cool
>>
>>92517049
Off the top of my head
>Abnormal strength. Like strong as three men despite being a 98 lbs hag.
>A third nipple on the chest or arm. Their famliars or slaves will drink from this nipple.
>Constantly followed by an animal that looks mangy or diseases. It's their familiar and link to the demon they made a pact with.
>Their breast milk is cold and tastes bitter
>Multiple breasts
> They have a very cold body temperature, especially their genitals
>Sudden, rapid pregnancies resulting in the births of deformed creatures, sometimes humans.
>If the demon is particularly strong they will grow and eye or mouth on the front or back of a hand. These can speak or see for the demon.

Witches be nasty
>>
File: 20230513_123044.jpg (283 KB, 694x986)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
>>92544225

This is a mashup of rift and palladium fantasy but it shows up In other media which was where they probably lifted it.

Some things it goes on about
>Witches aren't automatically ugly. Some are bestowed with beauty through their pact.
>Witches are likely influenced in their fashion and personal hygiene in that they are absolute evil and psychotic.
>They don't need anything. They don't need to eat or drink or have any companionship. The magic power their pactmaster sustains them.

So in this way palladium portrays them as crazy bag ladies. They have spent months in the woods sleeping on the ground and look like it because they don't feel any need to be clean, warm, or care.
>>
>>92517049
The "Devil's Mark," an abnormal birthmark somewhere. Bonus points if it's shaped like a symbol and somewhere prominent like the neck.
Some evil witches have been depicted as being excessively hairy, connecting them to the hairy legs of the ancient Middle Eastern Lilitu.
Shapeshifting witches have been described as having facial features reminiscent of the animal they change into.
Excessively long fingers, or an extra finger.
Heterochromia (different coloured eyes)
>>
>>92517049
Tattoos.
>>
>>92517780
>I've spent some time searching for a low-intensity mutation table like what you want but it's surprisingly hard. All of the ones I've found go straight for the tentacle arms and what have you, there's no room for subtle shit.
Look up the Dark Powers Corruption table(s?) for AD&D Ravenloft.
>>
>>92551463
Already looked at it, it was pretty good.
>>
>>92517049
How many nipples have they got?
>>
>>92529471
Don't be rude, OP asked for a list of all the possible signs of a person who is a witch/sorcerer, no weird sex stuff. Seventh son of a seventh son is literally the first thing I thought of too.
>>
>>92527075
7th son....

https://nypost.com/2024/04/15/lifestyle/why-gay-men-often-have-older-brothers-fraternal-birth-order-effect-explained/?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nypost

>>Known since the 1990s as the fraternal birth order effect, it has been theorized that men have roughly a 33% increased probability of being attracted to men for every older brother they have

Flamming Gay/Non-binary is not good at God eyes in less sophisticated cultures.
Kek.
>>
>>92517049
What do witches represent in your world? If they are something like mischievous forest spirits, then having wood ir rocks sprout out of them, mushrooms or insects eating a piece of rotten flesh she has to hide while interacting with people could work.
>>
>>92518790
diplopia is the condition, in case you wanted to know. only a few recorded cases in human history

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.