[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0826.jpg (925 KB, 1000x792)
925 KB
925 KB JPG
vgh... my ancestors are calling me... no more Primarch sloppa and FOMO boxes for people with rainbow flags on social media... no more sassy nurgling memes....
>>
>>92520521
Someday you'll pull the nostalgia glasses off and realize that even the older editions of 40k are not good games.
It's okay, by the time you turn 50 and realize it, you'll fit right in with the historical gaming community.
>>
>>92520521
>my ancestors are calling me
A faggot? So am I.
>>
>>92520521
>OP forgets He's the xitter tourist
Classic OP
>>
>>92520539
Why are historicals such holier than thou faggots. No one wants to replay the Battle of the Bulge for the 200th time with fat Percy octogenarians
>>
>>92522181
Some do want to play that battle, it's why historicals are still so popular. You may not want to though, but that's because you have your lips welded to GW cock.
>>
>>92522259
NTA, but the problem with historicals is that they don't have exciting and interesting rulesets to support what is otherwise one of the most exciting settings in human history. What system do you guys actually enjoy using?
>>
File: 1611376430118m.jpg (102 KB, 1023x1024)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>92522259
>it's why historicals are still so popular
The Age of Empires playerbase doesn't count
>>
>>92522259
Ah, you're that anon who pops into all threads relating to GW constantly talking about monkeys, cocks and semen? It's quite interesting how both GW and penises occupy such a large space in your mind.
>>
File: large-8193533.jpg (224 KB, 600x797)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
>>92520521
>>
>>92520521
Loving the irony of a guy complaining about named character focus whilst posting books featuring three prominent named characters
>>
File: o6gifhgjkli71.jpg (2.03 MB, 4032x3024)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>92523876
I'm not him but my group uses Chain of Command by TooFatLardies. It's interesting because it's more about unit morale and having officers directing your troops, issuing orders, and making the most of what you can do in any given phase than it is about individual weapon loadouts or wargear. Different from 40k 3e (which my group still plays on occasion), but interesting.

It's hard to get people into the mindset of it if they've been stuck on the GW plantation all their lives, though, to say nothing of the ingrained trauma of having to buy a full 40k army (since they expect to deal with that again when in actuality it's not that hard or expensive to build a platoon of WW2 guys.) That, and the illusion that historical games are "grandpa games" and thus boring and granular doesn't help.

I'm working on a pseudo-scifi-alt-history homebrew of the ruleset to try and lure some of my scifi gamer friends over to trying it, though there's also just playing the Chain of 40k homebrew of it.
>>
File: war is swell.jpg (1.13 MB, 1079x1333)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
>>92528904
I should have specified that it's a World War 2 ruleset, currently we're wargaming in Europe but in a few months there's going to be a Pacific expansion released so I've been amassing a horde of 3D printed IJA for it.
>>
Why's this guy type like a MadLibs page?
>>
>>92520539
>Someday you'll pull the nostalgia glasses off and realize that even the older editions of 40k are not good games.
They're more fun than any newer edition.
>>
>>92522259
Historicals are boring since it is literally a solved genre where every battle has a canon known ending by all players before going in and alt history is boring 99% of the time and not worth speculating on because of the butterfly effect
The only historical battles worth playing are generic unnamed battles and even then it is less fun that getting cool monsters to play on the field.
>>
>>92533248
>They're more fun than any newer edition.
>my log of shit is slightly less smelly than that other log of shit!!
Why are GWdrones like this?
>>
>>92520539
WHFB is a great game. When I played my first game of 7th ed WHFB i dropped 40k. The setting isn't as sexy but damn 40k just isn't a good game.
>>
>>92528477
Like the later IA volumes, they are self-contained campaign books used to help recreate """historical""" battles, not
>wowee remember that time when primarch Angron/Roboute joined 10 of his fellow marines in a boarding actions against a random ship
>>
>>92534028
Older editions genuinely hold up very well and are fun, but you've never played them because you're a secondary
>>92534456
Ngl I've really been enjoying whfb 8th after a mate got me into it after 20 years of 40k, storm of magic is retarded and imbalanced but a lot of fun
>>
>>92522259
>Does not know 3d printing and second hand exists.
Sigh.
Literally buy a 3d printer and make a warhammer army, It's cheaper than buying a new army.
>>
>>92520539
I exclusively play 3rd edition with a few tweaks.
It's far snappier than any of the current editions, effective simplicity > bloated 'depth' and excessive unique keywording for practically identical things.
I'd play 2nd or 4th if I still had the rulebooks (somehow only still got Codex Imperialis) from time to time, but it is absolute fact that 5th ed 40k onwards was the downturn.
>>
File: 7dvp50.jpg (72 KB, 500x692)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>92520539
3rd edition 40k and 6th edition WFB objectively still hold up as the most fun and balanced editions of Warhammer. There is no nostalgia to this, it was simply a better time, objectively.
>>
>>92535560
6th edition Fantasy might be objectively the better version but I still love and miss something about 5th Ed Herohammer. Mostly the aesthetic I think, peak GW aesthetic in general was late 96 to early 2004 but that's also the time of my first & greatest engagement so first impression bias.
>>
>>92520521
>Old GW: Tells you everything you need to know about one of the 40k universe's biggest battles and gives you new subfactions and units to let you play it out on the tabletop in just 30 short pages.
>NuGW: Massive, expensive tomes for narrative "events" that go absolutely nowhere and as such instantly forgettable
>>
File: Mary.jpg (102 KB, 820x514)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>92535534
May I ask which tweaks?
>>
>>92535560
Why did secondaries latch onto 3rd Edition? Who's pushing that meme? Is it because some 3rd edition books were better and you fags don't understand that 4e was better as a whole except for the Chaos, Orks and lack of Craftworlds books?
>>
>>92536192
>secondaries

Nah weirdly 3rd just seems to have got people's imaginations, despite like you say I think the 4th edition rulebook is better. Like 3rd has a FB page with a decent community
>>
>>92536161
desu we dont tend to operate super fixed stuff, we play super casual (I never got into tournaments and haven't done a campaign since EoT) so mostly just a bit looser on points restrictions or army composition rules, generally go with what feels fair/balanced rather than is precisely statted.
One recurring tweak is around Trukk Boyz for Orks, tend to just let any Boyz mob take a trukk as transport (Ork player is an Evil Sunz collector so lets him use more vehicles). Probably not very balanced but lmao
I keep meaning to backstat a load of later edition content or actually try rebalance things points wise but never find the time or effort
>>
>>92536192
4th edition with 3rd edition codexes is the objectively correct way to play.
>>
>>92535560
"balance" is a little bit of a stretch. maybe by gw standards but that's about as low as a bar gets.
but yes that was a fun era. very fun. honestly the whole period from the mid-90s to around 2003 or 2004 was pretty golden for both games (after which they both imploded fairly quickly). really I think the big highlight for both 3rd 40k and 6th WHFB was the highly-flavorful army book. they found a spot where the art, fluff and lists were all working in sync to really get the imagination going. everybody was doing thematic lists and ambitious conversions, narrative campaigns, all kinds of cool stuff.

unfortunately it was also when the effects of the company going public started to be felt. they were replacing senior management and reworking the company financially from like 98 - 2000, but there was little impact at ground level except on prices. but then they started gutting development, white dwarf, the web site. killed the forums, the bits service, condemned half of their good games to a slow death in SG, on and on. drove out every bit of talent and creativity that had worked there up to that point. so it's kind of a bittersweet time. it was good, but also the end of everything good. by 2005 or so there was nothing in the entire GW umbrella worth salvaging, just trashfire game rules and derivative slop art/fluff as far as the eye could see.
>>
>>92522181
>No one wants to replay the Battle of the Bulge for the 200th time with fat Percy octogenarians
Nobody that replayed that battle with his fat friends would say that.
>>
>>92536316
Agree.
>>
>>92536232
both 4th ed 40k and 7th ed fantasy kind of have that quality where the core rules were well-considered iterations on their prior versions that fixed a lot of problems. but then both of those editions followed it with army books / codexes that were dramatic downgrades from their previous versions.

I don't think it's crazy that people remember that time fondly though. even if they weren't perfect, it was the last time things from games workshop were consistently good. you fast forward just a couple years and the entire community had either gotten out entirely (many of them moving to things like warmachine, confrontation or (a little later) malifaux, infinity, MERCs, etc) or had become browbeaten in to just accepting crap quality as the status quo from GW.
>>
>>92536329
Still find it crazy they ditched Mail Order. Bitz resellers are all over the web, you'd think GW would have the sense to undercut the bitz boys and just sell their own bits, plus back catalog parts if they still have the moulds. It surely can't be that expensive to run?
>>
>>92536758
I assume this has a lot to do with the move from metal to plastic. Metal model parts were always cast individually so it's just easier to sell individual bits, but for plastic sprues someone has to physically snip bits off the sprue in order to sell them individually. It doesn't seem like much but it's an extra step that just adds a lot of logistical complications.
>>
>>92522181
What’s crazy is faggots who have now killed themselves or trooned out by now have been seething like this for at least 20 years now,
>>
>>92525170
change for change's sake is what cancer does. nothing was broken. nothing required fixing
>>
>>92536758
Anon bits boys buy the boxes from GW. I think it would be a net zero for them with more work.
>>
>>92520521
I don't get the character angst honestly. You don't have to buy characters, nobody is forcing you to play characters. At this point you're just a no fun faggot that doesn't want anyone else to have something because you personally don't like it. The beauty of tabletop war gaming is its not like vidya, you can pick and choose what parts of the product to consume.
>>
>>92543008
>but you don't HAVE TO use named characters :^)
>you'll just cripple yourself by not using them when everyone else does :^)
>>
>>92536192
When 3rd came out, it had army lists of all the factions of the time in the back of the book (omitted from later editions). All you needed to play was that single book, no codexes needed, just the one book. It was a short wonderful time after the scattered rules bloat of 1st and 2nd ed. Then the churn began again, just so GW could boost sales for each new model release with powercreeped stats and codexes. It has been downhill ever since.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.