[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: FO_d20_cover_webp.png (1.18 MB, 792x1064)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB PNG
>>
>>92536371
Yes its called Traveller.
>>
>>92536371
GURPS is my guess. I seem to remember hearing it was based on the gurps system to begin with
>>
>>92536935
I thought that was a space game
>>
>>92536371
Genesys conversion
>>
>>92536371
Hello, obsessive Fallout AND universal game system fan here;

No. There is not. That's the problem & the great tragedy for Fallout.

> The Official System; Modi's 2d20.
Actual dogshit. Horrible, horrible. Don't even consider. A shame they got the IP.

> GURPS
Also no. GURPs was cool in 1986 but it's not 1986. We respect our elders but we're not delusional.

> Genesys
Genesys is the system every GM loves that never gets played because it's not considerate for the player buy-in at all. Put this out of your mind because the players will not accept the weird dice, nor the advantage/disadvantage narrative tables.

> Any other semi apocalypse-coded game;
Has gritty mechanics but doesn't cover the specific niche mechanical concepts vital to Fallout's DNA (non-combat options, power armor, laser weapons, radiation, etc.)

I honestly think the best solution is to take something bare bones like FATE. You don't have to spend a year home brewing mechanics, and everyone who knows the setting can just bring that understanding to character creation.

You will not find a satisfying gritty solution for Fallout.
>>
>>92537796
>didnt mention the unofficial pnp
>distrust of GURPS
Thanks again for your opinion, Emil. Feel free to go back to Fallout 76 while the rest of us adults play a mature game.
>>
>>92537844
Go take your back pain meds. I assume the OP wants to run a game and not perpetually imagine running a game.

Also, not even the board game is good! Seriously, Fallout has such bad luck in the TG space.

Wasteland Warfare has good & expansive minis but that's about all I can say.
>>
File: music stops.jpg (289 KB, 633x431)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
>>92537904
Witcher did a better job at the rpg to board game style, and its still bloated with awkward long grindy combat that will bore the other 3 players to tears. Skyrim I didn't play but it looks like bloated mini campaign co-op crap so I skipped it. Just too bad fallout came out so early it plays like a worse beta of both. Oh OP also don't forget theres Fallout: Factions coming out soon if you want more dead on the shelf minis like 3 Cazadores for 50 USD.
>>
>>92537796
>GURPs was cool in 1986 but it's not 1986
Many trends come in a cycle, I've noticed. Around a decade or two ago, my friends were tired of crunchy RPGs and rule-lite RPGs were the new cool thing for us. Now I feel myself burning out on the lack of substance in rules-lite RPGs and gravitating back towards crunchy games like GURPS.
>>
>>92537904
>redditor seriously believes you have to be an old person to understand or enjoy GURPS
You have a small soul.
>>
>>92536371
Any.
Rewrite the things that don't fit.
>>
File: Retrocalypse.pdf (1.06 MB, PDF)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PDF
>>92537796
One, the Genesys setting layer is good. Not as expansive as it might be but the dice are only off putting to retards, just use a digital roller you fucking dipshit. Two, see attachment.
>>
>>92537997
The problem with GURPS is that SJG doesn’t have the pull anymore compare to 15-30 years ago. It’s old books with fiddly pdf releases and no organisation.
>>
>>92537280
traveller has 15 tech levels, the first 10 or so of which are not space related
>>
>>92536371
I have successfully used d20 modern and its post apoc supplement to run an enjoyable fallout game for a few sessions.
You can also get the cancelled fallout rpg from back in the early 2000s print to order on drive thru rpg under the name exodus. Its functionally a d20 modern setting itself, but with charts for all the weapons and gear in fo2. Ive never actually run it because it feels like a hot mess and its just easier to run d20.

>>92537796
The dream would be to use genesys, but you are right that getting players to jump that far out of their comfort zone as well as buy the dice etc is a big ask.
>>
File: 1702097983779489.jpg (18 KB, 590x656)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
I'm thinking of just grabbing Call of Cthulhu, renaming Insanity as Radiation, and reskinning some monsters and gear and we go. I dunno why people get so hung up on that it had a brief relationship (that ended well before release) with GURPS, or on looking for something with an autistic level of mechanical specificity. The most interesting thing about the games was always the setting, the faction interplay, the history, etc, which you could be doing just fine with something as flimsy as the original Apocalypse system if you wanted to. The mechanics have always been secondary to the world.
>>
>>92537904
What's so bad about Wasteland Warfare? I got the starter set lately and just started painting the models. Is there something specific in the ruleset that is bad?
>>
A modified version of BRP or some other d100 system could probably get somewhere close to the mechanics from Fallout 1 and 2. Re-name the stats and skills to match the games. Perks are where the bulk of the modifications would probably be
>>
>>92536371
Just make your own system. That solves like 99% of all of my problems. It's not hard and you don't need a 200 page book to play some RPG. If you want you can just convert a preexisting system and make it better.
>>
>>92537796
> The Official System; Modi's 2d20.
>Actual dogshit. Horrible, horrible. Don't even consider. A shame they got the IP.

Care to elaborate why?
>>
>>92541784
>convert a preexisting system
So, house rules. He still needs a system to start with, dingus.
>>
>>92542110
Fallout is a setting where the regular non protagonists are scraping by to make it to tomorrow and have to tie themselves to a faction to have the chance of living in a group
2d20 makes each member of your party a fallout protagonist, capable of tearing through scores of enemies and threats if they even tried to build a character matching their strengths. I’ve played 2 games, both of which anything that even dared to look at the crew was demolished, and AP allowed us to power through any skillcheck that came up out of combat
You can’t have a post apocalypse survival scenario if survival is a nonissue for the players
>>
File: 1713439581054703m.jpg (79 KB, 1024x891)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>92536946
Fallout was based on GURPS, but ended up with its own idiosyncratic system features. You can "unwind" the classic Fallout games' rules and make a functional, if clunky, pen and paper game from it. GURPS can work, in any case.

The Genesys game sucks, but may be your thing if you like snowflake dice, FO4/76's tone, and east coast writing.

Vaults & Deathclaws is a sprawling, constantly-updated heartbreaker that tries to be everything to everyone like many fan games.

You could probably make it work in something like Savage Worlds or Barbarians of the Aftermath, but you're going to be doing work.

Another problem here is that you're dealing with two different mindsets. The 2D games - ignoring Tactics because everyone does - are fairly lethal and tactical. The 3D games, even Vegas, are pulpy and pretty damn easy.
>>
I’d set a Fallout P&P game in Oregan.
Portland and Eugene are the ruins people scavenge, getting over the mountains gives you pre-existing wastelands and dried rivers.
Southern edge is Klamath Falls and Vault City, where the NCR starts, northern edge is Mount Rainier in Washington where whatever is in Seattle has crept down to the Columbia River. Eastern edge is Boise National Forest where the survivors of Idaho live. And the radioactive ruins of Mountain Home AFB.
>>
>>92536371
Moribund World / Vault Archives was done by a NMM guy who died. I think this is the only copy since No Mutants Allowed went down.
>>
File: MutantManual.pdf (311 KB, PDF)
311 KB
311 KB PDF
>>92543755
>>
File: OverseerManual.pdf (753 KB, PDF)
753 KB
753 KB PDF
>>92543772
>>
>>92543755
Wait, NMA is gone?
>>
>>92543873
Last I heard someone forgot to pay for hosting or something. I haven't checked.
>>
>>92539384
>Two, see attachment
Came here to say this. It doesn’t have the same crunch one might want for a Fallout game but it captures the feel. One thing that could improve it is expanding the archetypes. As it stands you’re only going to have one NCR, one Wastelander, one Vault Dweller, etc. That’s kind of an artifact of Red Box Hack and Old School Hack, the spiritual ancestors of Retrocalypse. There was an expansion for OCH that let you build archetypes and I think something of that nature would benefit this game.
>>
>>92543677
Thinking about it more, the Vault (there is always one) would be either under Mount Washington/The Oregon Matterhorns since those volcanos might not be active or under Ochoco National Park/Mountains, since that’s stable and out of the way even today in central Oregon.
>>
>>92543873
unfortunately its back up
>>
>>92543873
Suffocated under its own grognard crus-
>>92544197
Never mind.
>>
File: Fo2_Chris_Wright.png (64 KB, 240x180)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
>>92542660
But Fallout has never been about Post Apocalypse Survival, it's been about being a badass Mad Max expy.

Why do you think the series never featured survival mechanics, outside of a special difficulty setting in two games?
>>
>>92542110
Different anon but I need to point it out since the other guy did not: Fallout 2d20 is Bethesda canon ONLY, and the stupid atompunk Bethesda memes dominate the book completely, mechanics included. Utterly retarded that they expect you and everyone else in the wasteland to still be scrounging for unexpired processed foods from over 200 years ago. Even if the food never expired it would have been looted or destroyed many, many decades before any of the games, with extremely few exceptions. They already had farms and industry in Fallout 1 in fucking Junktown. Todd is such an idiotic dipshit.

>>92542687
What Genesys setting are you talking about? I wasn't aware there even was a Genesys hack for Fallout, apart from the one I designed for my group, and I never published mine.
>>
>>92545229
It's not bad, but they didn't reprint anything you can't find in other books, so it's JUST Fallout talents and archetypes, meaning robots, mutants and ghouls only, you need the core book for humans. And no careers. But there is good gear representation and they did a pretty good job with power armor. But there's also so much content for power armor you can tell they based it on Fallout 4.
>>
>>92546709
I kind of expected Fallout TV to go the way it did when the 2D20’s first mention of the west coast was the Republic of Shady Sand and only with many more books did we get a mention of the NCR.
>>
>>92539701
Traveller isn't a complete game under TL 12. Stop pretending like any of them matter.
>>
>>92543755
>>92543772
>>92543792
>made skill points/tagged skills not broken
>easy straightforward option for DR/DT without having to calc DR each time you get hit
I'm already loving this version, it's the best Fallout TTPRG to me already- I say this as someone who played the old PNP versions and Vaults and Deathclaws- both of which had their immense problems. Only problem with these PDFs is that no monsters have SPECIAL listed for each- not a dealbreaker
>>
>>92545110
not true
>The post-apocalyptic genre is still very dear to my heart. The idea of humanity destroying itself is one of the darkest themes in all of literature. However, the archetype of the Survivor – the lone hero who does not succumb to the anarchic world or his base desires; who is his own justice and treats people like he would like to be treated – no other heroic figure is stronger. He is literally one man against the world, and no matter the cost to himself, he remains the paragon of the best aspects of humanity, carrying the hope that the idyllic and prosperous world of his past – our world – will eventually be revived.

>The world after an apocalypse is fraught with danger and adventure; it brings out the worst – and best – of humankind. It is a brutal world, full of savagery and devoid of honor. There is only Survival. That and a distant dream of lifting themselves from the ashes. Few genres can elicit that level of primal emotions from an audience.

The original writer Scott Campbell
>>
>>92536371
Any hope of convincing Sawyer to release his system? He has to have it backed up somewhere.
>>
>>92547492
If only, man. There's probably some legal bullshit
>>
>>92536371
My research for the past month shows that no, there is no good Fallout TTRPG. That it why now I need one more homebrew. The problem is that I don't know if I should do it with d20 or d100.
>>
>>92545229
>They already had farms and industry in Fallout 1 in fucking Junktown
I mean, fallout 4 has such a focus on farming and industry that it drags down the game and bloats it because half the game is dedicated to the settlement system
>>
Is Vaults and Deathclaws any good?
>>
>>92546902
>a complete game
sounds like a skill issue to me
>>
Are there any ways to dial down the OPness of 2D20 Fallout characters?
To where a party can collectively match with foes without just running over them.
>>
>>92549287
Try raising and lowering some of the numbers involved.
>>
>>92548681
Very very granular.
>>
>>92542609
>if you want
Learn to read you dumbass knuckle dragging cock sucking ELS retard
>>
>>92542687
>The 2D games - ignoring Tactics because everyone does - are fairly lethal and tactical.
>>
>>92547326
That's some cool writing, too bad the games don't reinforce any of the survival aspects for the player character

Power Armor being the icon of the series reinforces the tone of being Wasteland badass, not scraping for a living after the bombs have fallen

I mean there's fully operating towns and industry in the original games that is really displaying a post-post apocalypse then a desperate struggle for survival
>>
>>92547492
Are you talking about this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FIH9IOBiMJ1jNn71M3GWxJEjtQtmDe2w/view
>>
File: Tactics.png (534 KB, 692x594)
534 KB
534 KB PNG
>>92542687
>ignoring Tactics because everyone does
This is honestly the biggest mistake I see other people trying to make Fallout TTRPG games make. Tactics has the best foundation for a tabletop adaptation, you just have to take the combat from Tactics and then add in the role-playing and non-combat options from 1 and 2.
>Only game with different playable races. Can have Ghouls, Muties, Dogs, Intelligent Deathclaws and Robots in addition to Humans.
>Squad focused, so has the most straight forward 'Party' mechanics.
>Has options for 'Squad goes, Enemy goes' or individual initiative.
>Most diverse arsenal in the series up until New Vegas came out
>Functional Vehicles
>Elevation and stance options, reaction shots
Ignore mainstream opinion telling you to discount it and it's a bad game, embrace Fallout Tactics.
>>
>>92553023
Yeah, never finishes or at least the finished version was never released. Probably never will due to corporate/legal issues.
>>
>>92553456
It even comes with tabletop rules, most of the work is already done
>>
>>92553456
Tactics was a fun game, I enjoyed it. Maybe after I finish with SWAT 2 I will try Tactics again.
>>
>>92553456
Tactics really is great fun.

I don't think you could pickpocket explosives set to blow into the inventory of kids who pick your pockets, but I don't think any Fallout after 3 does either.
>>
>>92553005
>post-post
into the trash your post goes
>>
>>92543755
I've got three different revisions of this same book now. Really wish people would put version numbers on their shit.

>>92545229
There's two Genesys splats, one by d20 Radio and one by a different guy whose name I don't recognize. I can't find a good download link for either one so here's a reupload.

https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/ur8Fr8WL0XG0YvDMp%2F4shQ
>>
>>92556913
Well, the guy died or something.
>>
>>92553456
Do people say tactics is a bad game? I love tactics, the story is kinda weird and shitty compared to the first 2, but its the most fun to me, and I think it looks and sounds great.
>>
>>92556991
literally just nma forum spergs seething at the genre change. Same thing that happened when fo3 was announced and BoS.
>>
>>92553456
>>92554497
Where are the tabletop rules?
>>
File: Fallout Warfare.pdf (1.78 MB, PDF)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB PDF
>>92556921
How inconsiderate of him.

>>92557064
PDF related.
>>
>>92557021
I remember going to NMA once and the first thing I ran into was some NMA faggot telling someone else they had Bethesda's cum on their chin because they didn't categorically hate Fallout 3.
>>
>>92557101
they love crude immature posts. An ever popular one is comparing everything to rape.
There was a post by a NMA fag defending his forum on the Valve forum. He likened Bethesda's acquisition of Fallout to everyone he knew and cared about being raped including his dog.
>>
>>92542687
>You can "unwind" the classic Fallout games' rules and make a functional, if clunky, pen and paper game from it.

I once did this with Arcanum, which operates on a very similar engine.

Really, you just need any system with decent gunplay. The SCIENCE! is easily shoe-horned into almost any "modern" system.

>>92545110
It's definitely a setting where being a PC matters a lot.
>>
>>92540864
It is complicated and token heavy. If that is your cup of tea go ahead. I personally can't play it without companion app and then I find myself mostly staring at screen instead of battlefield so I feel it doesn't work as a miniatures game.
>>
>>92536371
I am currently writing my own fallout system as I’m not happy with any of the existing Fallout ttrpg systems available. It’s basically going to be a modified version of Dark Heresy’s d100 system.

It’s about 75% done, approximately, but I think it would function in its existing state. I just need to convince my usual group to playtest it at some point.
>>
>>92557893
Any interesting features it's got?
>>
Could you just use the mechanics of fallout 1/2 to make a ttrpg?
>>
File: FalloutRangedCombat.png (282 KB, 700x583)
282 KB
282 KB PNG
>>92561169
There's a lot of stuff in Fallout 1 and 2 that really need a computer handling them. The formula for ranged combat is pic related. A late game character can roll this 6 times a turn.
>>
>>92545229
>not superseding Bethesda's canon with your own.
My NCR ranger super mutant, who saw good ideas with Unity, saw a new way after the Master's defeat and the people of the west coast picking themselves up. He arrived and was separated from the other members of his NCR expedition force that were sent to find out what the hell was going on on the East Coast.
>>
>>92557893
Ah the good old days of '09-'11 when "/tg/ gets shit done" meant "/tg/ ports shit to Dark Heresy."
>>
>>92557893
>>92562263
Honestly though, armor types in DH already map pretty well to the game.

You've got your crap light armors, Flak would be basic combat armor, Carapace is Advanced Combat armor/Ranger gear etc and Power Armor is Power Armor.

The main issue is some Metal armors being better than base combat armors in some games.
>>
You guys know if there's any modules for Faserip?
I found a Halo one but I'm curious if anyone has seen a Fallout one
>>
>>92548699
>Coping nogames
Stop it. You're embarrassing your father.
>>
>>92537927
What game is this art from? Looks like og xbox graphics. Nice.
>>
>>92562493
OD&D isn't a complete game either and people have played it just fine since the dawn of the hobby retard. You fill the gaps as needed with a ruling and carry on.
>>
>>92563441
BoS its regarded as the worst game, it was that period when Baulder's Gate arpgs were made for xbox.
BoS was like the scifi version of that
>>
>>92543755
>since No Mutants Allowed went down.
Pour one out for the homies.
>>
File: c&c ad.jpg (253 KB, 660x1245)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>92565553
It's back up, I just checked.
>>
>>92536935
hacked 40krp would probably be okay for it, we used hacked 40krp for a stalker game once

Traveller is a good system for it too
>>
>>92552220
It's ESL, friend. If you're going to suggest someone has problems with a language, do try to get the term for it correct.
>>
Has anyone tried vaults and deathclaws?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1taDyeAZJMWVzaceBcH_mfrsXvShir9UjoLaonNQ8Ipo/
>>
>>92561269
To be fair, the majority of these variables are situational status effects, perks/traits, or use mechanics that could only exist in the game.

The only ones you absolutely need to consider in any given attack are
>Attacker Skill
>Target AC
>Attacker Perception/Strength (depending on Attack Type)
>Distance and Obstacles
And of those, the one you'd need to put any serious thought into beyond simple stat recollection is calculating the distance and cover modifiers.
>>
Wasteland Warfare is currently on Humble Bundle.
>>
>>92542609
>He still needs a system to start with, dingus.
That's what kind of dice and how many to roll. That's it, that's ttrpgs' basic essence, the rest are just add-ons that tickle your brain good.
>>
>>92559148
Bit hard to describe exactly the features without just posting it, and I’m not going to think about showing it off until I’m happy with the state it’s in.

I’ll list a couple of changes I’ve made to the standard Dark Heresy system.

1) weapon ranges are now based on your perception bonus rather than a static number. This makes higher perception values useful for more than just awareness tests. This also reflects the Fallout 1/2 rules where perception increased effective weapon range.

2) characters gain Luck points (basically fate points) per day based on their Luck score. In addition to re-rolling failed rolls, they can be spent to allow the character to use their Luck stat instead of any other SPECIAL stat for a skill check, so you can make a dumbass who dumb-lucks his way through skill checks.

3) characters have a critical chance equal to their Luck bonus, so lucky characters are more likely to score critical hits or critical successes on skill checks.

4) corruption/insanity has been replaced with a radiation tracker. Acquiring radiation will give you permanent fatigue which cannot be reduced until the radiation is reduced through rest or Radaway. But, rather than telling you right away when you get radiation, the GM secretly records radiation exposure unless you’ve got a Geiger counter, so you may only realise how fucked you are when the symptoms kick in and you have to scramble for some Radaway.

5) I’ve made a rudimentary scavenging system, allowing you to scavenge map locations. You roll a skill check, which gives you a certain caps value of loot, which you can either take as money or exchange for equipment up to a certain rarity. Sort of similar to how the ‘scum’ characters earned an income in Dark Heresy 1e.
>>
>>92567528
...Crit chance? Separate from the critical damage effects once you're out of wounds and from fury rolls on 10s?
>>
>>92555959
>Farms, mining towns, actual government, Vault City, New Reno

Wow such an apocalypse

I guess I can't blame you if your mind's been rotted out by Bethesda shit
>>
>>92570185
NTA but new reno is still dudes squatting in the ruins of a pre war place. Hell, only vault city and shady sands are fully post war locales
>>
>>92536371
Look up Vaults and Deathclaws.
>>
>>92537796
Twilight 2000 with Traveller The New Era's energy weapons backported into it.

There I fixed it.
>>
>>92537927
>Look up Fallout:Factions
>From the designer of Necromunda 2017!

This isn't the marketing boost they think it is.
>>
Anyone got the rules for Wasteland Warfare?
>>
>>92571822
Junktown is a new city, though. Sure, it's made out of old pieces of crap, but the settlement itself is new. And considering they aren't vault folks the entire thing is a pretty decent accomplishment considering the time period.

Also the fact that the Hub even exists at all is a pretty clear indicator that the world is moving on, albeit slowly. Multiple, relatively stable, competing caravan organizations? That sort of thing doesn't just appear unless there's some real incentive for it.
>>
Isn't there an official/licensed one?
>>
>>92572653
Sure but Fallout 3 had caravans, a slave trade that transported people across state lines, and towns built after the war - I mean the entirety of megaton was post war. Fallout 4 also had the caravans and built up towns. Both of them also had a town devoted to caravaneering like the hub albeit less impressive
>>
Sort of related, but does the PDF copy of the 2d20 version have low quality pictures in it normally? I've downloaded 2 different copies and both look fine except for the images in it.
>>
File: 1700884975111253.png (352 KB, 1181x446)
352 KB
352 KB PNG
>>92576505
Pic related for an example. It's also inconsistent too, as the picture of the Vault Boy looks fine.
>>
>>92567849
Yes. Rather than righteous fury triggering when you roll a natural 10 on a damage dice, instead critical hits in combat trigger when you roll equal to or under your crit change on the d100. So, a critical chance of 3% would trigger a critical hit if you roll a 1-3 on the d100. This makes critical hits slightly less common but this is balanced by not needing to confirm those crits like righteous fury.

While those 'critical wounds' effects are called that, I've just renamed them to 'Lingering injuries' to avoid confusion.
>>
>>92572077
Is it good? I can't find anyone who's played it
>>
Is it a bad idea to brute-force west coast lore onto the Modiphius game? I was thinking of setting the game in Arizona. and ripping off Wasteland somewhat
>>
>>92578017
At this point why not play Sonora?
>>
>>92578017
The game already has west coast adventures so you should be fine.
>>
>>92578017
Wasteland lore is full of good stuff to steal so that's a good idea
>>
>>92537796
pbta? it's in the name
>>
I honestly WEG's d6 sytem would be the best system to run Fallout games.

Not too crunchy and it has the wild die to help facilitate the cinematic moments as well
>>
>>92582905
>and it has the wild die to help facilitate the cinematic moments as well
Because you can't write?
>>
>>92582760
Not a real game
>>
>>92540573
>No, I played neither original Fallouts nor ever opened a GURPS rulebook
Thanks for sharing, Todd
>>
>>92582905
What's WEG?
>>
>>92587331
West End Games you zoomer philistine.
>>
>>92588088
I apologize for my poor history understanding.
>>
File: Exodus.jpg (258 KB, 1400x903)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
>>92536371
>>92537796
>>92539791
Exodus is the Fallout RPG that the license was lost for.
Interplay licesnsed it but When Bethesda gained control over the IP they decided that The RPG adhered too much to the original Fallout/ fallout 2 lore and with Fallout 3 coming out with new lore it got cancelled to not interfere with their new lore.
So with 95% of the game done, they had to hastily rewrite the lore and change systems to not violate copyright.
>>
>>92589021
Alright, but is it any good?
>>
>>92589229
No, it's not. Exodus is 3.5/d20 modern with...
>Generic classes (and an abusable "custom" class system)
>Defense bonus
>Armor as DR
>Uneeded additional damage types (Physical, Laser/Plasma, "Energy", and Explosives) tacked on
>massive Damage
> Crafting that contradicts itself
>prices ripped straight out of Fallout1/2
Just use these AU rules above, use d20 modern and future / Darwins World equipment, make caps=silver. Make radiation as poison and you're pretty much done.
>>
>>92586236
>erm did you even play the original fallout
You mean the game where I can level like three times in one hour and up my weapon skill to autohit anything in the eyes under any conditions? Yeah. I literally just finished another playthrough. After level 4 I'm basically no longer even paying attention to my character sheet. And by level 9 literally anything I want to do has a completely negligible chance of failure. And level 12 just becomes retarded when you Tag! energy weapons and autokill anything you hit in the eyes.
Gear matters way more than any mechanics, and even then it's retardedly simple to get the Power Armor in your first sitting and a plasma cannon and just stomp around the map.
Fallout isn't the mechanics, as evidenced by that Tim Cain just swapped out the GURPS resolution code for his own homebrew when Steve Jackson pulled out at seeing the intro cutscene well before the development even took off.
It's why the Interplay vets didn't see too much issue in just porting their original Fallout 3 concepts to Todd's glorified FPS spinoff. And it's why the thing that's historically driven the fanbase into autistic frenzy isn't tweaks to the system, it's tweaks to the lore. It's always been the setting. And you're just straight up delusional to think otherwise.
>>
File: 187874.jpg (243 KB, 900x1278)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
>>92536371
The Rad Hack, its rules light and captures the zanny wasteland feeling, plus you can port all sorts of monster abilities and mechanics from similar games (e.g. black hack)

https://rad-hack.jehaisleprintemps.net/english/index.html
>>
>>92590532
You could've simply stopped at '3.5/d20 modern,' but I appreciate the detailed response and ideas.
>>
There was an old Savage World adaption. I think you cobble something together from SW RIFTS, Deadlands, Sci-fi and Core to fit the theme.
>>
>>92591095
Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. Im using this shit right now for my campaign and severely fucking regret it.
>>
>>92591823
Sorry to hear that, anon. Could you swap to another system?
>>
>>92553005
>Power Armor being the icon of the series reinforces the tone of being Wasteland badass, not scraping for a living after the bombs have fallen
Blame that on Fallout 3+4.
In Fallout 1, Power Armor belonged to one faction, a small science cult. The rest of the game is moving through a grid map wasteland with dangerous random encounters.
By Fallout 2, that cult is essentially dead and gone. The new power armor guys are the baddies, and you can find a suit, but you really, really have to know what you're doing to get one, to the point of lucking into it via a comedy of errors. Most of the time, you're moving through a grid map wasteland with dangerous random encounters.

But good news! In Fallout 3, the Brotherhood is back, and so is America! A literal army of power armored dudes, and you get to be a part of the reclaiming of American soil from the enemy! You get to shoot the nukes back right at em! Don't worry, the danger is *perfect* for your level, no matter where you go, because the game literally levels with you, so deathclaws are always harmless.
In Fallout 4, you fucking start with a suit of power armor.
>>
So no love for Atomic Punk 2160?
https://thebasicexpert.com/products/atomic-punk-2160-second-printing-pdf
>>
>>92594612
>but you really, really have to know what you're doing to get one, to the point of lucking into it via a comedy of errors
No you don't, the moment you reach navarro you literally get told to go to the armory to get power armour. Even an int <4 character can do it because the quartermaster is friendly to tards
>>
>>92594659
I eat cocks, I low int and forgot to mention you can get one early if you really really know what you're doing, which is what I meant to say.
It's not a trivially easy get if you're playing it through for the first time, but if you already know the game, you can get the power armor super early.
Also, being a retard is a character most players wont play unless they really love the game, so it has it's unusual upsides that only players willing to try such a character would ever see. Just another reason Fallout 2 is fucking great.

By comparison, 3 and 4 do treat you like the ultimate power armor badass. Fallout 4 isn't even an RPG.
>>
File: 1705384479886370.png (909 KB, 900x889)
909 KB
909 KB PNG
>>92567425
This. Tim Cain's own opinions on the matter, for what its worth, are that GM's should eventual graduate to designing their own systems in the first place. Using someone else's shit will only get you so far.

>>92542110
>>92542660
In addition to what this anon, I found the system to be far too focused on Fallout 4. The core rulebook is bloated to hell and back with useless item tables taken straight from the latest video games. You really don't need 30 different flavors of food/beverage/chems for every little thing. On top of that, the actual content within the book is minimal. Only a few player options outside of equipment, and many extras printed in the supplements like Winter of Atom should have been there from the start. The core book only has options for playing a Wastelander, a Vault Dweller, a Super Mutant, a Robot, and BoS. No NCR option unless you shell out money for the supplements, no Ghoul option. Consider that for a moment: they included an option to play a Super Mutant, and not a Ghoul. That came later. Adventure books also have poor layouts, as I found critical info to be placed willy nilly throughout the books, although the actual content of the adventures are pretty cool.
For reference, I ran a year-long campaign that only ended recently. I've got probably more experience with this system than anybody else in this thread, and within the first few sessions I began to wish I had just picked something different.
>>
File: 20220919_120017.jpg (112 KB, 1024x980)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>92582957
I don't think you know what this system or the die is no-games
>>
>>92567120
Thanks for the link, I just read it last night.
Whether it's good depends on if you consider 5e to be good, because I see some rather inspired things.
>Core mechanics
SPECIAL system, no surprises there.
They added a ton of (imo) unnecessary skills, like dividing blacksmith from engineering, and at the same time pushing all thievery into a single skill (sleigh of hand)
Crafting seems neat, although might be overwhelming due to quantity of it's ingredients, mechanically its simple however, there's also downtime, and for some reason you probably can think of yourself - long rest (called R&R) heals to full HP
There's over 200 perks, granted some are gated behind skill progression (choose a bonus perk from separate table related to the skill when you reach 150% of said skill- neat idea imo), some, like intense training are given automatically once per 5 levels - it's big list, and probably comprehensively written for authors.
Too many shortcuts for me, and why Glossary is in the end?

What impresses me the most is the sheer scale of this project. 156pg of beginners guide, and similar numbers in item index, overseer's guide and bestiary.
Say, someone's autism was strong enough that they produced about 500pages of well formatted, pretty easy to access rules for some obscure RPG from the 90s.
>>
>>92599455
Interesting. I don't have much experience with 5e though
>>
>>92594435
Im just doing straight 3.5 and making items be tech, cybernetics, or have "psionc enegry". It's been going alot smoother
>>
>>92599455
Cont
What it does really good is the scope of possible interactions with the world the authors already thought of.
There's a big section on vehicles, with its own big mod list, various types, easy ruleset and separate paragraphs for exo frames, Powered armours and the like.
There's a section on building your own machines, robots, writing programs, Operating systems, making traps, poisons, chems, dozens of ammo types and so on.

You can play as a human with like 5 backgrounds, ghoul, Super mutant (two types), death claw (talking one mind you) and a robot.

Vaults & Deathclaws easily put whatever was originally produced as a official product to shame with scope of it's content.

>Nice praise anon
Well some things I do not like.
Typical for fandom productions they for whatever reason absolutely MUST incorporate a goddamn NCR and legion into the game.
I'm talking unique items, unique NPCs, monetary costs, new Vegas related perks, ripped off chems, consumables and probably other shit straight up converted from the game.

This might be just my preference but why the hell go to such great lengths to describe mechanics and world as generic as it's possible only to contradict it by porting CRPG to TTRPG?

>Well maybe they are aware most folks come from new Vegas and this needs some familiar ground to start from?
Maybe
>>
>>92556913
I remember reading the d20radio conversion a while ago; that guy ever come up with scavenging rules, or are they in a Genesys splat somewhere?
>>
>>92601204
As far as I know that PDF is it. There's a short sidebar on scavenging in the Expanded Player's Guide, and there's apparently a splatbook called "Salvage" on Foundry that goes into more detail but I haven't read it.
>>
>>92539429
The problem with GURPS is that you need an IQ above room temperature to enjoy it, so the playerbase is small.
>>
>>92602286
Salvage is pretty good, but the rules for scavenging are very setting-specific, it would take a fair bit of finagling to fit it into Fallout.
>>
>>92602923
The problem with GURPS is a bell curve system lets you know before you roll what the most likely results are.
>>
>>92604643
How is that a problem?
>>
>>92606731
Too predictable, not enough tension when you have to make an important roll, boring.
>>
>>92604628
Scavenging mechanics sound fun. I don't think I've played a game with them myself
>>
In a fallout system would you handle AP like it works in the first two games? IE it's movement but also shooting and such, allowing you to shoot more if you don't move
>>
>>92536371
http://savagefallout.blogspot.com

https://www.nma-fallout.com/resources/fallout-vault-archives-pnp-system-resources.145/
>>
>>92536371
Exodus was actually fantastic for this.
>>
>>92601154
Because most actual Fallout fans only like the west cost games, and probably most of the RPG players are a subset of those. New Vegas was the last word on the west coast, and it takes place in a dynamic and delicately balanced point in time in the setting that's just begging for people to tip it over. Plus it's a frontier, which tends to play well to RPG parties.
>>
>>92536371
Isn't there an official one?
>>
>>92606744
>the sharpshooter can't know how difficult a shot would be - that's boring!
>if I don't have my heckin natty wuns and natty twennies, then the game is too predictable!
>>
>>92536371
there is

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.