[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

why doesnt /tg/ ever come up with stuff like pic related? it's almost always just "use weapons from books and source books any attempt to make unique weapons is woke or reddit"
>>
The replies to this will be about how this concept is stupid and lame or guntards will come in to pick apart a fantasy weapon
>>
>>92548550
>>92548597
Why would you steal someone else's adoptables, Anon? Have you no decency?
>>
>>92548550
Any time I share my ideas, they're "video games" and "book keeping", or they don't get any response at all beyond a "can u elaborate on that plz ??" 12 hours later, so I keep them to myself.
>>
>>92548550
>>92548597
Different medium, different format, different audience.

The weapons you've posted are very visually oriented, fit (and presumably intended) to be placed into the hands of an artist's OC, but the games enjoyed around here are primarily driven by text and speech. People come up with cool concepts here all the time, but they usually amount to evocative writing rather than flashy art.
>>
>>92548550
>make thread about idea
>a bunch of autists tumble into the thread and start shouting at everyone not to give OP any replies because he's content farming for YouTube
>thread dies due to lack of participation
>>
>>92548597
It's neat but I think "never misses" should be reserved for only the most legendary of weapons. Definitely a better fit for an OC than a player character.
>>
>>92548623
Fuck em, they are just ripping off Final Fantasy 8
>>
>requires the invention and implementation of a bespoke potion AND element system before it can be used
Wow! This is worthless!
>>
>>92548550
What the hell are adoptables?
>>
>>92549235
NFTs without the tech part
>>
>>92549235
You're supposed to give the artist money, usually 10+ bucks to claim ownership of the idea/art, which you can now trade.
There are videos pointing out that people are using these for nft style scams of selling to bot accounts to inflate prices.
>>
>>92549235
Artists whip up concepts - characters, equipment, species, whatever - and put them up for "adoption". And by that I mean for sale. Once sold, the person who "adopted" the concept uses it as they see fit, whether for personal use or otherwise.
>>
>>92549279
>>92549279
>>92549321
What a worthless idea..
>>
>>92549019
At the end of the day "a sword that can, a limited number of times a day, shoot fire or lightning to attack at range" is hardly an imaginative or complex magic item.

If you really need D&D stats it's a +1 Rapier that can make a ranged attack by spending a charge that has a range of 15' and deals d8 fire/cold/lightning/poison damage, this can replace one multi attack
>>
>>92548550
>>92548597
They stole this from RWBY anyway. It's not unique at all.
>>
File: 1451444069406.jpg (533 KB, 900x900)
533 KB
533 KB JPG
>>92548550
>why doesnt /tg/ ever come up with stuff like pic related?
Even the most underage b& 4chan users are usually older than 13.
>>
>>92549340
It's just the inverse of a commission.
>>
>>92549433
It's not unique at all.
You can come up with this stuff with a small child
>I want a sword but what if.. its a GUN
>And its MAGIC, its like fires uhmmm, the bullets are potions!
>And there like different type of potions right? So there would be like a fire one, a cold one, a electricity one...
>And maybe there is a like a super special ones too, like what about heat sealing potions?
>>
>>92549099
assuming the majority of people play 5e and it's derivatives. it would be a sword that just shoots magic missle as someone so maybe not that legendary within the framework of DnD/Pathfinder
>>
>>92549481
Not OP but I feel like this is sorta of what he means. just people taking random ideas and breaking them down to the simplest parts as an insult. this isn't the "crticism" you think it is because wording it and breaking down like that makes everything sound like shit
>And its MAGIC, its like fires uhmmm, the bullets are potions!
also why are you acting like this is a common thing? you aren't wrong about gunswords not being an inherently original concept but this one is just strange to insult as if it's common
>>
/tg/ used to be OC Central but 4chan is so shit these days no one bothers anymore.

We chased out all the drawfags in exchange for generals and wojacks
>>
>>92549809
Because they expect money to adopt the idea.
I'm fine with them selling art but selling this idea?
That is a different matter.
If it didn't have "adoptable" in the image then I would have said its cool
Because it is cool
I'm making fun of the concept not because its simple but because someone expects to be paid for it
>>
>>92549818
My favorite cope is "the questfags intentionally stopped sharing ideas on /tg/ as retribution for being kicked off /tg/".
>>
>>92549850
is that what adoptable means?
>>
>>92548550
Gun Sword
Item 1
Uncommon, Combination
Source: Guns & Gears pg. 159

Access: The following regions have access to firearms: Alkenstar, Dongun Hold, Tian Xia, Vudra, Arcadia, Ustalav, the Shackles
Price: 13 gp; Bulk 2
Hands: 2
Category: Martial
This weapon consists of a large sword with a powerful gun based on a harmona gun down the center. Vanguards and other characters who rely on Strength and Dexterity enjoy the power and flexibility of a gun sword.

>Melee
Critical Fusion, Versatile P
Damage: 1d8 S
Group: Sword

>Ranged
Concussive, Kickback
Damage: 1d8 P
Range: 50 ft.; Reload 1
Group: Firearm
Ammunition: Firearm Ammunition (10 rounds)

Critical Specialization Effects
Firearm: The target must succeed at a Fortitude save against your class DC or be stunned 1.

>Specific Magic Weapons
Blade of Fallen Stars, Obsidian Edge

Elemental Ammunition
Item 1+
Alchemical, Consumable, Splash
Source: Treasure Vault pg. 42
Ammunition: any; Bulk —

Activate [one-action] Interact
When activated, the reservoir of alchemical reagents in elemental ammunition atomizes on impact, dealing persistent acid, cold, electricity, fire, or poison damage to the target and splash damage in addition to the damage the attack normally deals. Each damage type requires a different formula, and the ammunition gains a trait matching the damage type.

Elemental Ammunition (Lesser)
Item 1
Price 3 gp
The ammunition deals 1 persistent damage and 1 splash damage.

Elemental Ammunition (Moderate)
Item 5
Price 21 gp
The ammunition deals 2d4 persistent damage and 2 splash damage.

Elemental Ammunition (Greater)
Item 11
Price 210 gp
The ammunition deals 3d4 persistent damage and 3 splash damage.
>>
File deleted.
>>92548550
>>92548597
I made it 95% less woke/reddit/cringe.

You're welcome, fag.
>>
>>92548550
>>92548597
>>92557547
>>
>>92548804
This, I’ve never gotten meaningful input from /tg/ on weapons or armour so I don’t bring them up.
>>
File: temp 1_fixed.png (1.58 MB, 2000x1588)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB PNG
>>92557547
Better.
>>
>>92548550
The thing is that is isn't a particularly original idea.

Gun-swords are nothing new, "alchemical" fantasy guns powered by potions are nothing new. I'm almost certain I've even seen an alchemical gun-sword before.

Maybe it's novel to you, in which case I'm happy for you that you found something that seems new and cool, and I strongly recommend that you incorporate it into your next game.

But the thing that makes the picture in the OP "good" is the art, and 98% of /tg/tards can't draw.
>>
>>92548550
There's nothing really special about it and you can probably find equivalents of what that artist offers in the books anyway or it can be homebrewed with minimal effort. The art itself is the cool part, but in the medium of roleplay item art doesn't contribute all that much unless the players want to commission their PC with that specific item or it's a McGuffin you want the players to remember visually and not just by its function.
>>
>>92548550
Gunblades, axeguns, the Master Sword (these days known as the Moonlight Greatsword), Wonder Shotguns, potion throwers, Pocket Myriads and other shape-shifting weapons, peasant rail guns, bag of holding bombs and melee weapons with a cast-on-use x/day enchantments have been a thing for decades and existed long before /tg/.
>>
>>92548550
I'm more a fan of the FFXVIII "transformer" gunblade that morphs between sword and assault rifle, but you do you.
>>
File: swordgoblet.png (1.92 MB, 1024x1024)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB PNG
>>92548550
From /slop/ with love:
Swordgoblet.
>>
File: file.png (342 KB, 500x375)
342 KB
342 KB PNG
>>92549100
No they're adding magic to the real gun-swords of history. Final Fantasy's gunblades are just swords that use an oversized pistol grips to trigger its vibroblade functionality.
>>
>>92557620
holy shit when did this board get infested with commies?
>give me everything for free
>>
>>92559881
>when did this board get infested with commies?
>>
>>92559881
>>92560384
hes not wrong though, people should be given basic necessities like housing and basic nutrition. everything else like entertainment and higher quality foods and restraunts you should work for though
>>
>>92560604
>people should be given basic necessities like housing and basic nutrition
How is this handled when populations reach the point where "basic nutrition" can't be met for everyone due to lack of sustainability, and there's not enough room for more housing/shacking people together?
>>
>>92560630
desu every current system is headed to resource crunch to one extent or another. I'd prioritise solving that over equality but as it it looks like neither will be dealt with.
>>
>>92560630
I'm assuming your not talking america because both housing and food is plentiful for the population here
>>
>>92560604
>>92560630
>>92560708
>>92560725
You're not talking about magic swords.
>>
>>92560744
Sure we are, guillotines specifically.
>>
>>92560725

Housing is a bit of a poison pill in America. To get affordable housing, its presumed you're spending on a car and ever expensive gas. d

Anywhere with transit to the point you wouldn't need a car would be restrictive and pricey, because Big Car won big in North America.

Also, lets not even get into land speculation and foreign buyers on property.
>>
>>92560725
I'm talking about an inevitability that comes with any society that doesn't limit how many babies are born.
So what happens?
>>
>>92560744
-> >>92559268 >>92548804
>>
>>92561005
Not just that, consumption per capita matters too. There are a fuckload more people in developing countries but their shitty low-tech cornercutting industry aside developed nations still consume considerably with far fewer. With everyone raised up and births consequently down the problem persists.
>>
>>92557579
>>92557593
>He thinks charging for ownership is woke
Anon, I hate to tell you this, but you're actually a lefty and nobody told you

>>92560384
This is the biggest cope I've ever seen.
Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, knows EXACTLY who started investing every board in 2016.

>>92557748
OP doesn't deserve an answer this correct, but that's OK because this is a bait thread and OP was never going to respond to anything anyway.
>>
>>92559268
>Final Fantasy 18
What is the future like
>>
>>92561123
>He thinks charging for ownership is woke
No I don't. Retard.
>you're actually a lefty
No, dichotomybrainlet. I'm actually a third-positionist. And I will save images and remove cringe watermarks and purge donut steels until the sun expires, laughing at you.
>>
>>92548550
This concept is stupid and lam -

>>92548597
NANI?!
>>
>>92549100
Final tantasy tactics.
>>
>>92548550
>why doesn't /tg/ ever come up with stuff like pic related?
You mean, an oddly specific idea that won't fit without extensive homebrewing even in the most accomodating systems?
Or an image that tries to extract pitiful amounts of money from people lacking in both imagination and taste?
If the former, you can find plenty of that in the various "how does X in your system???" low-effort threads.
If the latter, anonymous imageboards are the least welcoming communities to such pervasive micro-monetization, and thank God for that.
>>
>>92562103
>XVIII
Shit, I fucking crit-failed at that one, didn't I?
That was supposed to be XIII.
>>
idk i had a fun thread about homebrew ideas that people were working on. ended up being an entertaining exchanging of ideas, regardless of system.

>>92548804
>>92549036
>>92549818

I think it's mostly a matter of this being the standard for ideas threads.
>>
File: saj-sadcat.gif (14 KB, 220x220)
14 KB
14 KB GIF
>>92548550
Well for me it is because I seem to have lost my ability to come up with anything semi-original and my spark of imagination has long since burned out when I stopped being a child.
How do I reignite it?
>>
>>92560880
A guillotine is not a sword, with all that wood it is clearly a pole arm
>>
>>92564633
Pick up a piece of media you never would under normal circumstances and power through it. Shake your reference base.
>>
>>92564966
Thanks. I'll look into trying that out.
>>
>>92548550
1. This is not that creative
2. Threats about this get no attention
3. It doesn't affect the experience that much
>>
>>92564633
improve your nutrition and stay hydrated. when your baseline is 'tired of being tired' it's because your nutrition sucks. go for walks too, even once or twice a week is better than nothing. after a few months ov better nutrition you'll start to feel mental systems you forgot you had flickering to life. or maybe i'm just projecting.
>>
wasnt that contraption of an crossbow hooked up to a bag of holding or something a /tg/ invention.
4chan is mainly capitalist consumer reactionaries.
and social media means everyone wants credit now in hopes of ad revenue.
>>
>>92549454
The difference being people have an idea and want something specific for a commission.
This is having an idea and hoping people want your interpretation of it.
>>
>>92548550
Because you can use a simple stick call it a wand and make it function like pick related without extra luggage. There's better designs for an alchemist gun, just rip them off from splatoon.
>It's a good stick
>>
>>92548550
>throw potion
>no need to reload
>throw potion
>throw potion
>stab with sword
nothing personal, OP
>muh range
now look at this scrap piece of leather with two strings.
>>92548597
why not a crossbow? The coupling does not need an idiotic gunsword.
>>
>>92548550
Creativity died when the place started handing out bans for disagreeing too much with the corporate marketing and narratives.
>>
>>92548550
Why don't you come up with it then? We're not your personal content army, nigger.
>>
>>92548550
That's the white haired chick's sword from RWBY.
>>
>>92548550
That reminded me of pic related concept
anyways, we don't see much creative stuff here because of a chunk of anons that will bitch about anything that deviates from Tolkein or medieval stasis
>>
>>92571139
>why not a crossbow?
versatility, why pull a crossbow if you can shot it with your sword ?

> idiotic gunsword.
why is that idiotic ?
>>
>>92548550
This is just elemental cartridges and essences/oils/spells on weapon. There's whole classes built on that.
>>
>>92559363
I love it, the sword soaks up blood as it hacks up a dude, vampire has it pissed it the cup later.
>>
>>92548550
who's carrying around bottles with them into battle?
>>
>>92574096
That always made me wonder why adventurers don't get a wineskin full of healing potion?
>>
>>92574096
people that use the things on those bottles during battle

>>92574117
for the same reason chemicals and medications weren't stored in wineskins, the hide/leather reacts with the potion altering it
>>
>>92573317
I've seen this one, it's a classic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2up1Ldu0vc
>>
>>92549099
if your system can't handle something that never misses, it's either shittily designed or it's meant for mudcore settings and shouldn't have non-cursed magic items to begin with
>>
>>92567117
It's more common than you might think that commissioners don't really have something specific in mind or only very vague ideas. In which case, checking out an artist working in the general style you like that that has a bunch of much more fleshed-out ideas, can bring something to the table that really clicks with you.

I haven't done adoptables personally (tho sometimes been asked if I would sell some of my characters as adopts), but that's how it's been described to me by artists that put out adoptables as their bread and butter.
I can certainly attest to the first part about many commissioners not knowing exactly what they want or not having a good feel for what meshes together well or what doesn't until you actually see it put together in front of you.
>>
>>92573342
because you can kill someone a mile away with the homing bullets - you just need to deliver the bolt/bullet near the target, the magic take care of the rest.
Think sniper rifle replacement, not handgun.
>idiotic
because it just cater to gunfags that want to shoot something. You don't need the shooting/gun part to deliver the magical effects. If magic is advanced, you can just use special magic weapons or combinations of wands+weapons. Or throwing potions or just readable scrolls.
>>
>>92548550
Style over substance is poor design. Shits gauche and tacky.
>>
File: witty cat.png (143 KB, 306x306)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
>>92548550
I came up with lore for a cat once.
>>
>>92581078
A+ cat, would feed without expectation of reward
>>
>>92548623
The concept of adoptables drives me crazy, especially regarding characters
Some artists are also really anal about the character art they do being used by someone else in their own private game
>>
>>92581023
>because you can kill someone a mile away with the homing bullets
that depends on the effective range of said bullets, how far they can lock on a target

>because it just cater to gunfags that want to shoot something.
and?

>You don't need the shooting/gun part to deliver the magical effects.
setting dependent
you also could use this same argument to any other magical/enchanted weapon

>If magic is advanced, you can just use special magic weapons.
like magical gun(a type of weapon)

>. Or throwing potions
one of the concepts is just one way of doing that
>>
>>92581078
a cat is fine too
>>
>>92548550
It really isn't that hard:
>magicblood dagger
>when wielded by a spellcaster the dagger is infused with an effect
>the effect and special features depend on what kind of spellcaster it is
>you can throw it. It's sharp and pointy.
>possibly interacts with the blood of whom you stab it with too
There.
Now AI generate a decorated dagger via prompts, write the description in an old timey font, space it out like scribbled notes, add a stickman holding it and add flashy effects.

Actually you don't even need the greentext part or be creative at a, just do it for a halberd or any weapon unknown to normies, name it something fancy like hammerspear and put it up for sale. Or steal it.

>>92572604
>>92562766
>>92567370
This too. Hack culture
>>
>>92557579
>>92557593
based
>>
>>92549818
That what happens when you kick out people focused on making OC and discussing strategy out of the board
>>
>>92549818
OP could always get the ball rolling instead of expecting /tg/ to just deliver a finished project to him on a silver platter
>>
>>92549875
It's more that questfags used the rest of the board due to proximity but no longer had that proximity after being kicked off. Think of it like the difference between popping in a vidya or anime thread on /tg/ vs going out of your way to browse /v/ or /a/
>>
>>92548550
>>92548597
I have never liked 'Magical Chemical' weapons, potions, ect. Casting is fine, but something about that kind of stuff just turns me off.
>>
>>92548550
It's a retarded idea that a dumb child would come up with.
>>92548597
>The replies to this will be about how this concept is stupid and lame
Because that's what it is.
>>
>>92549310
>>92549321
How are artists so unaware of how copyright works? Or in this case doesn't work.
>>
>>92593813
>being this new
Who the fuck cares about the law when you can just harass randoms on the internet that refuse to do as you say?
Now it's even easier with DMCAs, if they dare to contest a claim you get their free dox too!
>>
>>92589270
I don't know what you're trying to convey. Questfags didn't leave 4chan, they simply stopped posting on /tg/.
>>
>>92548550
>why don't intelligent, if modestly overweight, gentlemen come up with ideas so retarded they were used in RWBY
Kys tbqh
>>
>>92594860
>Questfags didn't leave 4chan
A lot did, actually. Akun has a much healthier population than /qst/. But that wasn't my point.
>they simply stopped posting on /tg/
I wasn't disputing this either, I was pointing out the reasons for it. The other anon wanted to frame as some sort of butthurt boycott when in reality it was much more likely that it just became too inconvenient to browse /tg/ regularly or try and share ideas here if /qst/ is your main board. What's the point of trying to show off the homebrew TRPG you made for your quest on /tg/ if the majority of people who might care are over on /qst/?
>>
The handle is hollow, so it is either heavier or more brittle, and potentially more uncomfortable. Aiming a long, heavy object like that with one hand is hard, and the short length of the barrel makes it inaccurate. The firing mechanisms such as the trigger complicated wielding the sword, and it might as well break if you strike anything harder than a pillow. It would be easier to just carry a separate potion-pistol.
In short, you are stupid, whoever drew that is also stupid, delete this thread.
>>
>>92599617
>The handle is hollow, so it is either heavier or more brittle
not necessarily, all depends on the material and construction

>Aiming a long, heavy object like that with one hand is hard,
just mean that it require more skill and has a shorter range, still and advantage compare to a exclusively melee weapon

>and the short length of the barrel makes it inaccurate.
for bullets

>The firing mechanisms such as the trigger complicated wielding the sword
not really

> it might as well break if you strike anything harder than a pillow
historically inaccurate and also depending on the construction and the functioning of the mechanism

>It would be easier to just carry a separate potion-pistol.
not really and also not the point

>In short, you are stupid
you are just repeating /r/history memes

>>92548550
because /tg/ now is full of pseudos and realism fags that can't conceive or appreciate any idea that is different from their, usually wrong, conception of how historical things worked and hate creativity and fantasy
>>
>>92573317
This is a really stupid design. As you flex your arm, a chain of fixed length either goes taut or slack, meaning the whole thing will just fall off.

If the potion equals to a high explosive, what prevents it from killing you? If one bottle explodes, wont that break the others? If you fall, you break all the bottles, dicing you to 1cm meat cubes.

I have a better design. What if you removed the stupid arm-winch things, and you just put the potions in a bag and... threw them?

Which would be a magical hand grenade. It's easy to invent dumb things and when you usually try to make them not dumb, you end up with things that already exist.
>>
>>92548550
>>92548597
Because these ideas are dumb. If you have a magic powered gun, why do you need a sword in the first place. This is just tacky. And since most games like DnD don't have explicit rules for magic, whether this would work would be up to DM fiat.
>>
>>92548597
>>92548550
Only good for a 2d styled action game, turn based battle game, or similar.
It's too "anime" meaning it works better in a visual medium.
>>
>>92549809
probably because the artist of OP's pic would actually try suing anyone with a remotely similar concept.
Or claim it was stolen on social media and try to rile up a mob.
>>
>>92548550
Because /tg/ isn't a place for creativity anymore. It's just for shilling for/bitching about corporations.
>>
>>92602851
Keeping in theme with the concept: Why not just make a gauntlet that uses the force of your punch to pressurize a larger container/potion that then releases/shoots out liquid from the potion that then takes immediate effect upon contact with the air?
Basically the blast gauntlets from fallout, but magitek.
>>
>>92560604
>I am entitled to the sweat of other people's brow for free.
Have you considered MAID?

>>92606440
Tying it to the bottle breaking means you can have a wider variety of trigger mechanisms without the gauntlet itself becoming overly complicated. Maybe one has a mini wand that makes a spark or a cold snap on breaking along with the bottle. Second, having it tied to vials means you can have different functions. Maybe the first few vials are mildly acidic, but scale up to stronger acids, ignitable oils, or even explosives.

>>92602851
The length isn't going to change much since it's tied to your forearm and the spring can handle the little bit of play in moving your hand. Besides, you're not going to be moving your arm that much with it all bound up in the gauntlet. As far as throwing them goes, there's the accuracy problem and the fact it'll be less concentrated. It's the difference between having a grenade taped to you and one going off 10ft away. Plus you get access to stuff like contact poisons where you don't have to throw it and maybe miss, you just punch until you hit them. And also, it's a bit of a cop out sure, but if there's magical potions there's probably magic other shit. I'm sure you can get a variety of magics applied to the gauntlet that protect from falling or whatever else. But that's a per game discussion.
>>
>>92548550
Sword guns are historical, magic is fucking gay and for losers always.
>>
>>92609973
>Sword guns are historical
yes, a historic failure
>>
>>92606343
True
>>
File: 1000013745.jpg (143 KB, 900x1200)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>92548550
Wouldn't swords made of special alloys that allow you to channel your own raw magic into bursts achieve the same result as this but instead of being encumbered by a bunch of potions you could use your own stats?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.