[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Are Games Workshop annoyed about this or are they printing too much money to care? Do you think GW will buy him out and offer his paints as a premium line, or something?
>>
Who gives a flying fuck?
>>
>>92552970
they fired him because he inadvertently became the face of the company. his paints are the standard euro slop so aren't exactly in high demand. the mass wave of post 2018 fans probably don't know or care who he is. his boomer tier vhs subscription website isn't a huge success.

no, gw doesn't care and doesn't want him back.
>>
>>92555630
I feel that this is the actual answer. Though im sure someone at GW was seething at some point but thats not a source of much schadenfreude.
>>
What compels you to keep making these threads?
>>
What?
>>
Why didn't they just pay him a reasonable amount of money?
>>
>>92555630
>>92555962
If you want the real, boring, truth. He asked for more money and they said no.
He had worked at GW head office for 10 years, and was being paid a fucking pittance. He had become the face of the company for a while and asked for more money. They said no
>>92552970
>Are Games Workshop annoyed about this
Yes, they are fucking livid. It lead to the "only hands" thing in 2023, the upper management were furious at the social media team for seemingly want to become ecelebs and start their own projects. They are firmly stuck in the 90s, hate social media, hate having to have peoples faces on youtube but the shareholders demand more of it.

The above I know for sure, but the next is speculation which is that Louise Sugden left because she was screamed in person by an upper management drone who accused her of trying to start her own cult of personality so she could get enough clout to leave.
>>
>>92562219
Because they are stupid.
>>
>>92552970
I doubt they care. He's not exactly hurting the sales of citadel paints. Their target customers have always been newer hobbyists. They will probably just not let their video painters become this popular again and rotate them out more. I feel like duncan is the exception anyway. I've never given a shit about anyone else from GW.
>>
>>92562219
It's about 50/50 between >>92562420 and having a similar position has some of the more horrible companies in the video game industry. They can pay you hot garbage and if you complain they can go, "Don't you know how lucky you are to paint/sculpt/design/write rules for toy soldiers and little goblins for Games Workshop, aka the biggest miniatures company in the market and also one you likely grew up having fond memories about?" and if you leave they in theory have an infinite swarm of people who would jump to take your place until they also realize you're making about as much money as the people down the street at the grocery store but with a much more demanding workload. The mistake with Duncan is he was an early pioneer doing quick, easy to follow online tutorials without being an absolute sperglord, and while GW thought he was replaceable, they didn't realize he grew a fanbase which bit them in the ass. Peachy and Louise were basically repeats of this because GW doesn't learn any lessons ever.
>>
>>92552970
I think they're printing too much money to care. Though I think they care more about the bigger competitors like Vallejo, AK, and ArmyPainter instead and Pro Acryl which seems to be the new big boy on the block when it comes to miniature paint producers on the market.
>>
>>92562382
>>92562530
These people know absolutely nothing about Games Workshop's payment or corporate practices.

He may well have asked for a raise he didn't get, but Games Workshop pays noticeably above industry standard if you actually go look at their salary ranges. It's not that hard to go look at their job openings but people just want to be mad.
>>
everytime someone becomes famous they fire them
>>
>>92562382
>They are firmly stuck in the 90s, hate social media, hate having to have peoples faces on youtube
I don't believe GW management is remotely that based.
>>
>>92566189
Might depend on 'industry' there, friend. I know when I was looking in a post-covid redundancy malaise, the manufacturing/transport roles I could guesstimate a salary for (by cross referencing across job sites) were not exactly worth uprooting to Nottingham for at my career/life stage. If I'd actually still had my old role, I wouldn't even have considered it - though I will admit my old firm wasn't exactly underpaying us.
That said, I used to have a friend who was a Mail Order Troll many years ago, and he always made it sound like a great place to be young and starting out though. Maybe not so much as you start thinking about families and mortgages and the like.
>>
>>92566189
>GW pays above industry standard
You can find a plethora of people who are ex-GW staff who say the company pay shit even for both industry and Nottingham. There’s a reason they never advertise salaries on any job adverts.
>>
>>92566189

Agreed, those two posts are bollocks.

I was at GW in late 2019 when Duncan left. GW actually begged him and Roger (former WHTV producer, now Duncan's business partner) to stay, offering massive pay increases to both.

The guy in charge of Marketing is a notorious slavedriver, who gets results, but is hated by everyone underneath him, Duncan was overworked, had a cunt of a boss who wasn't going anywhere, and owing to having maxed out his employee shares and already coming from a well off family, was comfortable enough to tell GW they could fuck their job.

Rob Stymes/Honest Wargamer actually was fired as a WHTV presenter because he kept going off script, and aforementioned cunty marketing boss was threatened by a cult of personality growing around him.

Don't know about Louise and Peachy, they left after my time, but suspect they saw how well Duncan was doing and thought fuck it, why should I have to deal with this screeching bastard and his increasingly dictatorial demands when I can make more money working for myself.
>>
File: 1617555047171.gif (237 KB, 480x352)
237 KB
237 KB GIF
>>92552970
>i have more than enough paints
i ain't buying more
unless he has a good fluorescent red
>>
>>92566189
Fuck off you silly cunt, no one is talking about how well "Divisional Logistics Manger for the NE" or "Assistant HR Officer" is being paid We're talking about the studio teams.
If you want a real example. Chris Peach admitted despite being at the company for 20 fucking years he earnt £23k at the time of his firing.
The army painters are paid pittance, Eavy metal get £25-£28k
Duncan was on the same salary as Peach, he asked for more, they said no, that's why he left.
>>
>>92562219
We are talking about the same company that sells 5 cents worth of plastic for $45 anon
>>
>>92566189
Obviously we're talking about creatives here, which are targeted for the reasons that anons already pointed out (because they care about the product).
>>
File: WD 159 Mar 93 MY PAGE!.jpg (216 KB, 1064x1422)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
>>92569672
>Eavy metal get £25-£28k
That tracks pretty well with Stuart Thomas' starting salary of £12k back in 1992 (which would be ~£25.5k with inflation)
Of course, the industry is in a very different place today than where it was in 1992. As is the standard of painting required with all this new-fangled HD photography and online webstores with their jaypegs. Hell, GW wasn't even a publicly traded company back then.
>>
File: OIG (5).jpg (134 KB, 1024x1024)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>92566189
>Games Workshop pays noticeably above industry standard if you actually go look at their salary ranges
This is how i know you are lying.
>>
>>92569722
>5 cents worth of plastic
you are paying for the operation of a mammoth injection molding machine in large part anon, not the plastic
they are very energy intensive and that has a cost, irrespective of any markup indeed in play, to speak nothing of the time and effort of the people operating them
>>
>>92568596
This I could believe - or the central point of one absolute cock of a middle manager driving staff out. Seen it far too often (hell, I've BEEN the staff). People can just about tolerate slightly shitty pay if it's a job they love (to a point), but when you have to deal with an utter arsehole every day... (and then those left get interminable amounts of employee surveys from Human Remains, sigh)
>>
>>92552970
They have Blackrock and Vanguard money for ESG funding
>>
>>92555630
>they fired him because he inadvertently became the face of the company.
>YOU MAKE US TOO MUCH MONEY AND THAT THREATENS US REEEE
Never change, James.
>>
>>92562382
>hey are firmly stuck in the 90s, hate social media, hate having to have peoples faces on youtube but the shareholders demand more of it.
Can we just kill all the boomers already? Ye some of them made some okay fantasy stuff but I'm really sick of their deranged greed and mememe bullshit. Just take old man James and smother him in his hottub.
>>
>>92568596
>Don't know about Louise and Peachy
If only there were youtube channels where you could hear Peachy and other ex-GW people talk about GW (not Louise yet) in between hours of discussing cheese and Sharpe on a Warhammer podcast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8eby3_PIrM
(this is probably not the one where Peachy talks about why he left, and IIRC Louise doesn't want to get very specific any time soon)
>>
>>92578012
Peachy is a literal who
Can't even paint well, just quick
>>
>>92552970
isn't this just a meme?
>>
>>92555630
What defines a miniature paint as euro slop?
>>
>>92569672
Getting paid that much to paint toy soldiers is pretty funking good to be honest since it's not actually a real job.
>>
>>92577520

Believe me mate, there are absolute cocks, and then there's the aids infested shit encrusted absolute cock who's worked his way to the top of GW's Marketing team. Wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire

>>92578012

If I wanted to hear ex colleagues bore on about grievances in their old jobs I'd ask about it in the pub, not watch a four hour video. I don't, so I'll just stick to pub conversations about Sharpe and cheese

>>92578490

That's unfair. If you look at his personal armies, the quality's a lot better than the stuff in his tutorials, with a deliberate emphasis on speed and reaching a decent gaming standard. I'll admit that contrast has lowered his game though!
>>
>>92578536
Even 'Eavy Metal painters can vary in skill drastically with some army painting being of comparable quality. We're not looking at people who paint like Golden Daemon winners or Richard Gray with a huge art education behind him.
They want above average painters who can pair speed with box level quality so that they can use them to take close ups to advertise the product.
>>
>>92566189
>industry standard
Ah, yes. The industry standard for studio painters and ecelebs.
>>
>>92552970
GW profits are at an all time high.
>>
>>92579497

Didn't their shares drop like 7% after Custodesgate?
>>
>>92579672
6.16 the past month, up one point today.
>>
>>92579672
The custodes response was small in the grand scheme of their stocks. There was a big dip that corrected itself within the day. Their stock prices have taken a hit the past few months though.
>>
>>92562382
Apparently you haven't watched a single video published by GW for the last 5 years because there's a whole cast of employees who are regularly speaking about rules, miniatures, painting etc.
>>
>>92579738

Haha, might be why the grifter crowd have suddenly fallen silent about it
>>
>>92569672
>job is essentially paint by numbers in 3d
they're paid what they're worth
>>
>>92580258
Nah, they're paid the least amount the higher ups can get away with. Which isn't a lot, because nobody becomes a figure painter out of money, but passion.
>>
>>92578514
Euro Slop (n): Anon doesn't like that it makes him feel like he's been giving money to an abusive company for no reason, so he has to disparage alternatives in order to resolve the cognitive dissonance.

>>92580250
What you call the "grifter crowd" had no reason to talk about it to begin with. To people without a specific reason to be angry about the change (whether it's "muh lore," "muh wimmins," or "lmao wtf is this gaslighting, totally didn't see that coming from James who's been gaslighting me for decades already"), it just wasn't that interesting beyond mild amusement at the shitstorm among the detractors.
>>
>>92579769
>The custodes response was small in the grand scheme of their stocks. There was a big dip that corrected itself within the day. Their stock prices have taken a hit the past few months though.

This will all blow over. GW is a money-printing machine and they have a ton of avenues to rope new people into their IP. Grifter chuds will move onto something else to moan about.
>>
>>92580870

Do new people actually keep coming into GW games/IP or is it just old people who are now adults with massive disposable incomes to buy the armies they'd dreamed of as impressionable kids?
>>
>>92581108
New people keep buying. Don't believe the echo chamber, GW knows exactly what it's doing by marketing to new blood.
Granted, most new blood buys some models, maybe paints them, and then never plays... but I can tell you from experience that's nothing new. GW has always been a plastic company that creates rules and fluff as sexy enticements for people to buy said plastic. They don't actually care if you play with the plastic as long as you buy it.
>>
>>92562382
Sugs being screamed at by the marketing head is absolutely true, on more than one occasion. One of the reasons she was screamed at was because she had made a Tiktok which made a joke about Netflix, which made the schizo Head lose his mind because he somehow got it in his head that Netflix could retaliate?

This same guy was also absolutely fuming because she posted TikTok’s about retro miniatures like that Ogre lady mini. Basically he told her ‘Why the fuck are you talking about products that nobody can buy?!? Talk about a fucking Space Marine ffs.’

Another fun fact, Louise wasn’t allowed to publicly disclose her relationship with Rob/The Honest Wargamer while at GW. Is this illegal? Totally. Did it stop GW? Nope! That’s why if you saw any social media posts while she still worked at GW with Rob in them, all her friends would constantly make jokes like ‘Why’s that random guy in your photos again?’ or ‘Wow, he must be such a cool FRIEND.’

Why did he forbid it you ask? Their ‘official’ reason was that they didn’t want her associating publicly with somebody who shit talks GW so often. The unofficial reason is that the infamously psychotic Head of Marketing hated Rob and by proxy hated Sugs. He even once asked another manager if they were dating ‘just to get back at him’, which tells you everything you need to know about how narcissistic he is.

He simply wanted to make her life harder out of spite for Rob.

Both Sugs and Rob have dirt on GW through recorded meetings of downright illegal behaviour, but they haven’t done anything with it because frankly - Sugs probably couldn’t cope with the stress of all the legal proceedings, nor does she want the attention from the internet as being the ‘lady fighting against GW’.

Anyways, Marketing are infamously the worst department to work in a GW. I feel bad for all of them lmao. Even worse, they’re getting their claws into other departments and fucking around with them too
>>
>>92579419
If you think Eavy Metal Painters can’t paint GD winning entries then I don’t know what to tell you lmao. Those fuckers are literally working on only 10% of their power level because they have 16 hours (including assembling, gap filling resin, and painting) per Space Marine size miniature, 8 hours for a Tyranid rank and file, and maybe 40 hours for a character, compared to the hundreds of hours spent on an GD entry.

If you want a perfect example of this look up Dave Perryman’s/InfernalBrush’s Mangler Squig entry. He spent maybe 10 or so days painting it in the studio, and got hundreds of hours to paint it as a GD entry once he left. The difference is night and day, and all he needed was more time.

Hell, there’s multiple Slayer Sword winners in the studio as of right now, like Gavin Garza who joined in late 2022.
>>
>>92584351
That guy should be fired. Imagine being a marketing manager that doesn't understand how outreach works on the internet.
Sugs is literally God's gift to Games Workshop: an attractive woman who's genuinely and clearly into the hobby and radiates more passion and enthusiasm than the entire rest of the company put together; and he wants her to stop doing that make her public persona all about toeing the company like, a marketing tactic that customers FAMOUSLY loathe.
What an absolute moron.
>nor does she want the attention from the internet as being the ‘lady fighting against GW’.
Can't blame her. Within 24 hours, half the playerbase will collectively modify their own memory so they can claim she was never a real fan.
>>
>>92552970
There isn't enough profit margins on paints for GW to care, and it is entirely likely they still only bother making paints themselves because it is a legacy product and it would be dumb to sell unpainted models in store without also having paints to sell to the customer at the same time. GW wasn't even smart enough to realise the opportunity they had with Duncan in their employment actually bringing in new people to the dogshit Citadel paint brand and driving more in store sales to boot.
>>
>>92585939
Vallejo paints costs less and have more paints in them and still make a profit. GW paints absolutely make profit
>>
I imagine Army Painter becoming an actual competitor irks James way more than Duncan's little project.
>>
>>92562382
>but the next is speculation which is that Louise Sugden left because she was screamed in person by an upper management drone
I think I'll file that one alongside 'Chris Peach got sacked after starting a fistfight in the car park'
>>
>>92589058
That really happened, though.
>>
File: nhgb.jpg (54 KB, 1074x647)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>92584351
I can sympathize.
I dont' care for that Rob guy or his shite youtube videos either.
>>
>>92585939
>There isn't enough profit margins on paints for GW to care, and it is entirely likely they still only bother making paints themselves because it is a legacy product
Nah, you've got that backwards. Paints have been a consistent money makers for GW for years, to the extent that they opened a new dedicated factory just for paint production back in 2022. For better or worse, the whole 'Citadel Paint System' marketing thing really did work wonders (especially with the YouTube tutorial vids, they really never appreciated how much of a coup those things were), and you can see just how well Contrast went down by the fact that everyone's now stepped up with their own competitor line of speedpaints to get in on it
>>
>>92584351
>>92568596
>>92562382

>screamed in person by an upper management drone
>The guy in charge of Marketing is a notorious slavedriver, who gets results, but is hated by everyone underneath him
>screamed at by the marketing head

Even if you're LARPing, a cursory Google shows you're talking about Andy Smillie. The man's a walking anal cyst, why not just call him by his name?

He's also a fucking cockroach. The Emperor only knows what shit he's got to pull for GW to finally turn round and fire him after the YouTube animations debacle, leading to the inception and stillbirth of Warhammer+.
>>
>>92584351

Is that you Rob? No dis, but I refuse to believe anyone would either research or fabricate that much detail on your and Louise's time at GW. GW fans/compulsive haters channel their obsessiveness in a completely different way to the contents of this post.

If it is you, keep up the good work, I noped out of AoS at the start of 3rd when I realised I was deluding myself and the only parts of the game setting I actually liked were the shrinking pool of WFB holdovers, but am loving your TOW content.

Please regale us with more behind the scenes stories of the marketing incompetent at GW, I'm getting full on Ricky Gervais in the office vibes. Is he someone with outside experience GW parachuted in, or one of those weird isolated types who've been there for 20 years and started out as a Mail Order Troll or factory worker or whatever?
>>
Sure are a lot of GW "insiders" ITT
>>
>>92589272

I imagine most of it's probably just informed hyperbole, but GW's marketing department is a couple of hundred people, with high turnover, because nobody can stand Andy Smillie for the reasons outlined in this thread. If you're talking that many disenfranchised nerds, it's not impossible to imagine a couple of them regularly post on 4chan. It's not like they're in movies, vidya or whatever and they've got careers to look forward to after they've struck out with one company.
>>
>>92589272
Anon you do realize Suggs literally used to post here?
>>
>>92589344

HI LOUISE I'M SORRY THAT THE BAD MAN SHOUTED AT YOU. DOES ROB SMELL AS BAD AS HE LOOKS?
>>
>>92580372
It's how it always goes, exploit passion until it fades and moves on, and then complain about it after.
>>
>>92555630
his paints are actually very good doe
>>
>>92589272
I fully expect at least half of the staff of every tabletop game company to post here. This isn't a secret club anymore.
>>
>>92589500
But are they
>£3.95 for a 15ml bottle
good?
>>
>>92589205
Not Rob, I just a person who’s privy to the inner politics and nonsense of GW. Because of the Chinese whispers of these stories being passed around, a detail or two might be off (so if you want you can just throw the entire post in the garbage) but those are the general strokes of that specific drama.
>>
>>92589272
You pick up quite a lot just by being active in the Lead Belt tbf
>>
>>92589850

Cool man, thanks for taking the time to go into such detail.

I applied for a games design job advertised online at GW when I left uni in 2009, and after making it through a couple of rounds of in person interviews didn't get the job. When I requested feedback after not getting the job I couldn't get a straight answer. Posts like this one make me happy I'm now a chartered accountant.
>>
>>92589864
>>92589938

Forgot to add: Feel free to share any other gossip you have.
>>
>>92566189
>but Games Workshop pays noticeably above industry standard if you actually go look at their salary ranges
Naw man, I looked into cad work at GW cause that's my profession, and they get about 2/3 of what I'd make at an entry level position drafting in a machine shop
>>
>>92569672
>pittance
>slightly below to spot on the UK median salary
>for painting toy soldiers
Motherfucker there are people breaking their backs in warehouses and digging roads who get paid less than Peachy was being, nevermind the pampered poofters at Eavy Metal. I can have some small smidgen of sympathy for GW's retail bods who're expected to behave like cultists while being paid worse than a Tesco shelf stacker, but the people working at HQ whinging about their pay are a joke. People can argue
>well Muh Duncan went off on his own and made a mint so clearly he was worth more!
But no, no he wasn't, because the company didn't want or need an eceleb they wanted someone to churn out low-effort painting tutorials for children and drooling mongoloids and they paid appropriately for that position. That Duncan was able to leverage his personal popularity into a business venture of his own is great for him - it's always nice to have a wealthy family and loads of stock so you can take risks safe in the knowledge you won't be destitute if you fail - but it's not evidence that GW are underpaying their painterdrones, just that a market does exist for eceleb painters. Not a very big one though, apparently, given that those who attempted to follow him have either flopped or struggled to find similar relevance even with their own "hooks"(Peachy's le heckin GW insider routine and Louise's simp army).
>>
>>92589788
No, especially not these days when basically every paint range except GW is creeping up towards the same standard. If you A; have need of a full set and B; can get in on one of their kickstarters there's a value proposition that can be argued for - I just bought up the range myself after losing my old collection in a flood, because the KS late pledge was still open and all three waves was cheaper than any other complete offering(couldn't be fucked raking through the ruined stuff and figuring out what I *actually* need), but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone unless you *really* want a specific thing like the glazes.
>>
>>92578536
It's literally factory work.
>>
>>92589087
>Letting your dislike for a person lead you to driving away your company's best practically free advertising
He's out of line, AND he's wrong.

>>92590105
To be it's less about whether the work "deserves" the pay or not and more about not understanding that having a friendly face for your product is what most costumers want in this day and age of alienation. Relatable, attractive, talented dorks are a valuable commodity for a hobby company, and pissing it away because you're worried their fans are not your fans is a fundamental misunderstanding of the modern market.
>>
>they pay well
>no they don't, see examples here
>well he's just painting miniature figures anyway, why does he need a big wage?
>>
>>92590105
>Motherfucker there are people breaking their backs in warehouses and digging roads who get paid less than Peachy was being
Still not ok to pay the guy pittance.
Their suffering is also not ok.

One does not invalidate the other.
You either fight as a group for better conditions, or suck dick for a living. Your choice.
>>
>>92590105
This faggot definitely works at GW as a middle manager, there’s no way somebody could be this cucked otherwise.

What are you gonna say next? That working with people at GW is like working with family? That there are African children digging in lithium mines so we shouldn’t pay hard to find professionals anything over 30k?

Pants-on-head retarded.
>>
Considering the rise of the "no face no name only hands" videos and the clear paid shills itt, they're seething pretty hard.
>>
>>92589109
>>screamed in person by an upper management drone
>>The guy in charge of Marketing is a notorious slavedriver, who gets results, but is hated by everyone underneath him
>>screamed at by the marketing head
>Even if you're LARPing, a cursory Google shows you're talking about Andy Smillie. The man's a walking anal cyst, why not just call him by his name?
>He's also a fucking cockroach. The Emperor only knows what shit he's got to pull for GW to finally turn round and fire him after the YouTube animations debacle, leading to the inception and stillbirth of Warhammer+.

This guy sounds like a proper lolcow. I've had a quick google, where do I find out more about him?
>>
>>92589957
Fun fact while we’re on wages. GW has shut down all foreign hiring for the Design Studio (painters, sculptors, concept artists, rules writers, etc) because the U.K government made it so immigrants weren’t allowed to work on the U.K unless they’re earning over £38700 - a wage which GW sees as absolutely absurd to pay their highly specialised staff.

If one person earned over that cap, then all of them might demand more, so GW instead has massively closed off its talent pool to keep wages down.
>>
>>92595170

That's nuts, but seems pretty in line for GW. They've never viewed design studio types as anything more than cultists to be kicked to the curb when they burn out.

I've never met anyone on the sculpting side of things, but always imagined they were paid/treated better.
>>
>>92595170
>the U.K government made it so immigrants weren’t allowed to work on the U.K unless they’re earning over £38700

that's...actually a great thing. hope it's actually being enforced.

I wish the country where I live would do the same to try and benefit its ever poorer labour class instead of allowing hordes of desperate people to immigrate here exploited while working at Tim Hortons
>>
>>92594206
>hard to find professionals
>people who can paint things to a standard even the most moronic beginner can manage so as not to scare anyone away

The only retarded cuck here is you, simp. These people are paid more than half the fucking country most of whom work far harder in far more demanding and/or skilled jobs to literally sit around painting models. What kind of actual subnormal smoothbrained delusional whackjob do you have to be to think someone like that needs a white knight to ride in and save them from what most people would consider a life of fucking luxury? I don't need to say anything more or make any argument beyond stating the bald facts, because anyone who isn't an actual diagnoseable mongoloid can look at those and see what an utter fucking clown you are.

Look, we get it, you're a kissless virgin who really really wishes Suggy would start selling her bathwater, but have some fucking self respect.
>>
>>92593658
But it's not a pittance, is the point. If you want to be paid more than a couple of grand a month without being management slime, you get a trade or a profession. Working what is by any sane standard a low-effort job for modest but decent pay is not "suffering".
>>
>>92597007

>people who can paint things to a standard even the most moronic beginner can manage so as not to scare anyone away

Literally post a miniature you’ve painted to that standard. Just one. They’re designed for moronic beginners so I’m sure even a retard like you has churned one out inbetween polishing and gargling on Kevin Rountree’s hairy ballsack. Can’t wait to see your faggoty list of excuses here.

> These people are paid more than half the fucking country most of whom work far harder in far more demanding and/or skilled jobs to literally sit around painting models.

They’re literally, statistically not you subhuman ape.

Never mind the fact that this cuck literally did do the ‘Waaaaaaah some people have it worse so i should simp for the billion £ company!’ routine.
>>
>>92597007
>These people are paid more than half the fucking country
Half the country is not paid less than 23k. The average salary in England is £39,452 for those working full-time, and £13,845 for part-time jobs.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/adhocs/13507annualsurveyofhoursandearningsasheestimatesofannualearningsfortheukenglandenglandexcludinglondonandtheregionsforthe90to99percentiles2019to2020
>>
>>92552970
His paints are in fact even more expensive than GW's which is quite something. They also don't really offer anything new. I mean, why buy this over Vallejo or AK. He also doesn't produce any of the the other hobby stuff like texture paints, varnishes, airbrush supplies....

I mean I get, he's a minor celeb and he wants to push his own brand. Other brands have also pulled pro painters to push their brand - see Jose Davinci and AK. It's just that the product itself isn't anything special.

As for GW. People on this fucking board really need to drop their obsessive hatred of the company. He worked there for a while and moved on to set up his own business. This really isn't anything strange and I don't think anyone cares one way or another. I mean, shit, the guy still uses GW paint on his videos any time he doesn't have any of his own.
>>
>>92599077
>As for GW. People on this fucking board really need to drop their obsessive hatred of the company. He worked there for a while and moved on to set up his own business. This really isn't anything strange and I don't think anyone cares one way or another. I mean, shit, the guy still uses GW paint on his videos any time he doesn't have any of his own.

Toy company as an ex wife is as much a part of /tg/ culture as cooming to monster girls.
>>
There are many different paint brands out there OP you need to expand your horizons brother.
>>
>>92599033
They're probably counting part timers which is both retarded and misleading.
>>
>>92599077
I just want to play devils advocate here because I’ve been using and really liking the TTC paints
>His paints are in fact even more expensive than GW's which is quite something.
15ml dropper bottles vs 12ml pots. I’d pay the extra for a dropper with more paint over a terrible pot that I’m losing a bunch of paint drying out inside on top of what I actually use. Also, retailer dependent on price because my FLGS sells both lines at the same price
>They also don't really offer anything new. I mean, why buy this over Vallejo or AK.
I like that the TTC line has outright replacements for a lot of the common citadel colors I’ve been using. And again might be retailer dependent because I’ve never seen anyone around me sell AK and Vallejo selections are limited.
>He also doesn't produce any of the the other hobby stuff like texture paints, varnishes, airbrush supplies...
I think the newest TTC line added varnish, but yeah I could see them doing texture stuff eventually.
>>
>>92603045
This isn't really playing devil's advocate, this is just laying out the flaws in direct comparisons for pricing. The only real hole this opens up is it means that GW probably isn't vastly overpricing their actual paint line if TCC is barely cheaper per volume.
>>
>>92599077
I use both TTC and Vallejo Game Color, with abit of AK, with TTC slowly replacing my citadel collection but not entirely as every line has different levels of saturation that I appreciate having an access to.
Sometimes it's nice having a more muted palette, like with TTC and Citadel, sometimes I want something more bright like with Game Color or Testors.
>>
File: IMG_4187.png (35 KB, 278x340)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>92589788
No
>t. Scale 75 enjoyer
>>
Worked at GW briefly (literally 3 months kek) on their painting team. The place is a shitshow of management and was briefly after Duncan left. Some proper slavedriver terrible management knife out politics. Not worth the salary, not my dream job, and I was paid less than working in a supermarket.
>>
>>92596801
>hope it's actually being enforced.
Be aware that it's subject to a load of exemptions for 'shortage occupations', which allow a work visa for someone who earns just £21k or more. The current shortage occupations list includes
>Fitness instructors
>Florists
>HR managers
>Betting shop/bingo hall managers
>Librarians
>Online journalists
>Animators
>Illustrators
>Sports referees
>Janitors
>>
File: 1702968746260577.jpg (54 KB, 500x616)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>92610281
>that list
Surely you're joking.
>>
So has anyone ever painted anything with them? are they alright? Or GW paint just in a better bottle?
>>
>>92580222
Hard given they paywall it.
>>
>>92584351
I am kind of meh about Suggs and Rob's videos in the same way I am meh about GW but that's pretty appalling.

Interestingly looking up Mr Smillie produces this
https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/znthot/max_bottrill_and_andy_smillie_set_to_executive/?rdt=53588
>>
>>92611848
Their youtube channel isn't paywalled, retard
>>
>>92611970
Why would I follow that? Investing my time and energy in that leads to the inevitibility of having to scale the paywall.
>>
>>92612006
The argument was that GW has not recently allowed anyone to show their face when speaking while in fact they do. You can easily confirm this by looking at some of the videos yourself.
>>
>>92612090
And I mused at how incredibly tightfisted it is to paywall your own marketing content, which GW continues to do.
>>
>>92611680
I’ve been painting my new army exclusively with TTC. So far I’d say it’s an almost complete improvement over Citadel. Droppers are better than pots. The whites are smooth. And I’ve run into an issue with Citadel sometimes where some colors have an almost booger-like consistency that never quite wants to thin out. It’s either extra thicc or water with no in between. Haven’t experienced that yet with TTC.

Decent variety or colors in the first wave though I’m waiting on wave 2 to deliver to me in May to finish up some stuff. There’s still some go to Citadel colors for me like Evil Suns Scarlet and Khorne Red, but I can see myself using these a lot more going forward.
>>
>>92612207
>The whites are smooth

We sure are.
>>
AK > Vallejo > citadel > army painter fanatic
>>
>>92585838
Just from a basic, cold hearted reptillian marketing logic that guy should be fired.
>>
>>92552970
They're probably annoyed by a nonzero amount but I don't think they're that upset. At the end of the day it's a competitor in paint that could have been avoided by increasing his pay, but they already have competitors in that market space and I don't think stores are going to drop citadel paints anytime soon.
>>
>>92611680
They're fine for the most parts. If you're coming in fresh I wouldn't recommend them over something like Vallejo, but as someone who has mostly switched over to dropper bottles but still have a few GW colors I haven't quite found clones of in other ranges, TTC gives me exactly what I want. The actual dropper do kinda suck though since they're just thin enough to not fit snuggly into dropper bottle racks and the tips tend to clock easier than Vallejo. Still for getting colors like Rakarth Flesh in a bottle it's either TTC for a reasonable price and zero effort, or manually moving it to dropper bottles myself which is a pain.
>>
>>92612302
Its pretty incredible how hard people sleep on AK given how fucking good they are
>>
>>92555630
>>92562382
TGWD
>>
>>92613875
At least in the states and based on my personal observations, I don't think they have very good store representation whereas some combination of GW, Vallejo, and Army Painter tend to have paint racks. I will say I've picked up AK's rust sets and streaking grime and both have been fantastic to work with.
>>
>>92613875
I was shocked too. The main reason I avoided them was that as an American the paints were hard to find, local prices were hiked up, and I didn't want to import anything. But the paints are good. With Pro-Acryl having raised their prices and AK having more retailers in the states I'm sticking with them from now on.

I ditched Vallejo initially because their wine red colors were awful and see through. I tried Army Painter's which were even worse. I bought Pro-Acryl paints, which are better than Vallejo, but still have a terrible wine red. I got an AK wine red when the local store started stocking AK and it's perfectly opaque after two coats. The range is big and good, no gimmicky eceleb paints like the new Pro-Acryls. The only detractor I've heard when it comes to AK was some guy at the FLGS ranting about how the company is run by nazis or something, but the quality and breadth speaks for itself. I've got to try their oil weathering paints on some terrain I have on order.
>>
>>92614397
Fuck, I've had the exact same issue with that same Vallejo color, assuming you're referring to their "black red." Glad to know there's a better alternative out there.
>>
>>92614397
>AK wine red
god I love that colour so much, its incredibly powerful too, you can glaze it really thin and it still leaves a noticeable coloration
>>
>>92584351
>have dirt on GW through recorded meetings of downright illegal behaviour
like illegal greed or outright evil illegal?
>>
File: 20240425_181135.jpg (1.56 MB, 1843x2802)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>92613875
I have picrelated.
the blues at the top are easily the best miniature paint I've used in 20 years of painting miniatures.

the metal is a good metal, nothing to add.

the browns are ok. I don't use them much lately so I can't really say.

but there isn't a single decent green there. you'd think that at least 1 would be useful. extremely runny or "oily" don't mix well at all (I've got ball bearings and a nail polished mixer) don't cover for shit.

I'm no propainter but I enjoy painting and I obtain very decent results;I was under the impression that green was a fairly easy pigment to obtain and turn into paint. but what the fuck do I know.

actually does anyone have any reccomandation for a green-set akin to the blue AK one I have here in the picture?
>>
>>92615257
Is there a single AK box to buy that gives you a decent mix of colors? Most of the ones I see are one trick ponies (flesh tones, all blues, all greens, etc)
>>
>>92615257
>but there isn't a single decent green there
I dont know what to tell you anon, I have Grass Green, Frog Green and Laser Yellow (which is a hyper bright green) and theyre fantastic
I have no experience with the sets as I just buy specific colors I need

>>92618356
>Is there a single AK box to buy that gives you a decent mix of color
SIGNATURE SET – JOSEDAVINCI 3G

But its aimed to complete beginners, if you have some experience in the hobby you should have most if not all those paints or similar
>>
>>92584351
>her relationship with Rob/The Honest Wargamer
Lol. What low standards she's got.
>>
>>92588941
I didn't say they didn't make profits, I said the profit margin on them isn't that great. Especially compared to their model kits. They don't care about paints because that isn't their actual money maker.
>>
>>92613875
Anecdotal but at least in my experience that was largely just due to them not having a physical presence in hobby stores most of the time. But I am seeing them around more so I am sure they will have a corresponding uptick of people trying and adopting them. But it is an uphill battle considering even Scale75 seems to have instore racks or shelves nowadays. If AK want more adoption though they need to push out some more general starter sets aimed at beginners with a good colour range. That was how Army Painter managed to get into and solidify their spot in the market despite competing against Citadel and Vallejo who were already front and centre in store, as well as get a proper rack up as that is what also helped AP hold its spot even with a whole Vallejo rack right next to it.
>>
>>92552970
surprised how good his paints are, them and a few AK paints are all I fucking use now.
>>
File: 20240426_073148.jpg (788 KB, 1401x2586)
788 KB
788 KB JPG
>>92615257
as far as dark green goes I would suggest this. absolutely great paint.

the problem is this particular line of colour seem to have been discontinued? none of the stores in my area carry it anymore
>>
>>92576375
those machines pay for themselves in a single day. they dont have to buy new equipment every week. no moulds dont wear out that fast, new thermoplastics are gentle on moulds. we have advanced more in the past 20 years in commercial thermoplastics than we did from 1950-2000.
>>
>>92613875
Pretty much what other anons said. If you live in Spain you can find them just about anywhere alongside Vallejo, but outside it's way more difficult.
Of course, this applies to every brand. Just like AK is easy to find here, Army Painter is quite difficult.
>>
>>92552970
I doubt it because he exists largely within the GW ecosystem. Meaning these are GWesque paints for painting GW models.
>>92562219
They did. He's an unremarkable man. You only know/like him because GW presented him to you.
>>
>>92589500
>doe
kill yourself
>>
>>92609409
Army Painter or ‘Eavy Metal?
>>
>>92612109
It's flabbergasting how shit their marketing is. Getting angry at painters being relatable and popular, demanding pay to watch advertisements, it's a wonder anyone still buys their predatory plastic.

>>92612330
Exactly! The shareholders should be demanding he be fired.
Out of a cannon, into the sun.
>>
>>92621330
The worst part is, Smillie genuinely sees himself as the reason for GW’s current success. Okay, every department sees themselves as the reason for GW’s success, but Marketing are by far the most egotistical about it.

Reminder that GW’s marketing strategy until 2015 was literally ‘We don’t need to market because word of mouth is all we need!’

One of the people who’s worked on marketing that I’ve talked to says that the employees at his new workplace always ask him about the wacky marketing strategies and plans ‘your old job with the toy soldiers’ had. They’re constantly mindblown that a comaony as large as GW doesn’t engage in virtually any of the modern marketing SOP that everyone else does.

This is of course because GW almost entirely has hired internally, not bothering to pull actual marketing experts, but rather staff who’ve worked from retail to HQ. This also means that if anyone external with experience in marketing comes in and asks ‘Hey, why do we do this terrible workflow when every other marketing team in the world does it this way?’ they get a simple ‘because that’s AlWaYs HoW We’VE dONE iT!!1!’ and then a ‘stfu and get back to work, wagey.’
>>
>>92621697
I worked at gw for a time, and my experience of the management team is one of serial scapegoating. The hangover from kirby was "if were selling well, that's because management have the right ideas. If we're selling badly, it's because retail aren't sticking to the ten commandments"

The hobbit game got released while I worked there, and it sold terribly.evwry decision they made was stupid; close the shops two days a week, delete all the Facebook activity, stop gaming in stores. The list of bad decisions was endless. They got better after my time there, but they still make stupid decisions, and its down to their internal culture of failing upwards, and the relentless, toxic positivity they enforce - any criticism is seen as negativity, and you'll be blackballed. You _must_ respond positively to everything at all times
>>
>>92614397
It's kind of disappointing that with the Fanatic line AP decided to handle their wine red problem by completely excluding them from the line.
>>
>>92590105
The insane salt levels of this post lmao
>>
>>92621769
What are the ten commandments?
>>
>>92622501
The 10 core principles in the GW customer service handbook (formerly the Little Red Book, nowadays it's a black binder)
>Acknowledge all people that enter the shop
>Be aware of the customers and their behaviour
>Show enthusiasm and be cheerful
>Be attentive and listen carefully to customer needs
>Promote the hobby
>Establish a rapport with the customer
>Display an in-depth knowledge of company products
>Maintian high standards of personal appearence and hygiene
>Ask questions which obtain the best information concerning the customer needs
>Show courtesy
They always used to be a big part of performance reviews, you'd go in and your line manager would hit you with, "so how has your performance been aligned with the Commandments?" or, "what are some examples you can give of a time when you've shown enthusiasm and been cheerful?"
>>
>>92622570
They updated them. I can't remember them off the top of my head now, but c2 was "ask open questions blah blah". I think c8 was "sell white dwarf to every customer".

It was just horseshit

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.