[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I making a test run for new general.
/usgen/ is meant to discus universal TTRPG system that are to small to have its own general.

/usgen/ rules:
1. We discuss only universal system and related setting, which didn't have its own general. (So no D&D and no GURPS)
2. If you talk about specific system wright it's name down to avoid confusion.
3. Player made settings for existing systems are encouraged.
4. We only discuss universal system that was published. So ask about your "WIP system".
5. Try to limit off topic discussion to minimum.

I'm leaving the rest to you anons.
Have fun!
>>
URPS!
>>
>>92558066
We have this thread sometimes but it's never big, it won't be a general unless you keep making them and bumping them yourself.
>>
>universal systems
>there's more than one of them
>>
Thoughts on EABA? and where it can be found
>>
>>92558066
>I'm leaving the rest to you anons.
Don't start a thread if you don't have a conversation starter. At the very least a few questions to ponder.
>>
Wait, are we talking about one universal system, like, is this thread a specific system thread, or is this thread about universal, generic systems in general?
Are you from India, OP?
>>
>>92559205
No, I just have shitty auto-correct.
>>
>>92559205
I'm assuming he means all universal systems.
>>
Love the idea but it will be dead just like the genesys general that has been officially dead since two weeks.
Without constant bumping due to shit posting about settings and lore the threads just don't offer enough talking points.
People don't really share stories anymore from their games and OC is hard work.
>>
What resources from other games do you use for your games? Do you mine adventures from other systems and convert them? I've been considering running this compilation module in SWADE to try out the fantasy companion.
>>
File: slayer maddestmao.jpg (177 KB, 896x1194)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>92558066
Which system is suited for adapting high tech, high magic settings? Anime worlds like GuiltyGear and BlazBlue, but also stuff like some Magic the Gathering planes.
>>
File: MegaCity Magic.pdf (1.31 MB, PDF)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB PDF
>>92560229
It depends.
I remember that Genesys have good magic system for high magic. In addition there was "fighting games setting" called Kings od Streets.

In addition there is also MegaCity Magic witch is no-Shadowrun for Genesys.
Sadly it requires Android sourcebook to run.
>>
>>92558066
>universal system
>and related setting
What?
>>
>>92561102
Many universal systems have some setting created it's base.

It is quite common biznes practices.
You create one basic rules set and than just add more content.
Pinnacle Entertainment (guy responsible for Deadlands and Savage Worlds) mastered this formula creating a ton of settings for SW.
>>
>>92558066
>We only discuss universal system that was published. So ask about your "WIP system".
So basically just Savage Worlds, Fate and Genesys? I don't see this taking off.
>>
>>92561327
There is a lot more.

I think OP just meant "I just made universal system in my basement, that nobody will ever use".
>>
>>92561327
You can add Basic RolePlaying and Mythras Imperative to the list.

>>92558743
> 2. If you talk about a specific system write it's name down to avoid confusion.
What is "EABA" short for?
>>
Homebrewing FATE based on the Demon Hunters system. Qrd

>mixes skills from old fate and approaches from accelerated
>each of 6 approaches and 6 skills are rated d4 to d10
>for a given roll you pick one approach and one skill, roll both dice and add them together and are trying to get over 10
>aspect invokes add d6

I like this system, but I don't like the different dice and I'm brewing for a standard fantasy world, not urban fantasy.

>instead of dice, skills and approaches are rated -1 to +2
>you pick a skill and approach to give you a rating between -2 and +4
>roll fate dice as standard against the ladder

I'm keeping approaches as standard > quick, flashy, clever, forceful, sneaky, careful
and currently have 5 skills but I want a 6th
>melee, ranged, social, mental, body
All magic and abilities are handled by aspects and stunts allowing stuff. Knowledge skills are handled separately (each character gets to pick 3 knowledge areas and gets +2 to one and +1 to 2)

How reasonable does this sound, and what should I use for the 6th skill?
>>
>>92560229
I want to know too, and while >>92560929 is a popular answer I find it's not for me. Trying to run a space-fantasy kitchen sink campaign with weird aliens, transhuman tech, magic and maybe a few starship battles but so far none of the systems I've seen have really satisfied both me and my group (who are better than me at pulling apart systems at a glance).
>>
>>92561502
I'm guessing it's End All Be All? But I like to think it's Eat Ass Beat Ass.
>>
>>92560229
Genesys.

- Grab core manual and Expaned Guide.
- Grab from DrainSmith's Dispensary the gathering of talents, archetypes and adversaries.
- Decide what skills you want to have. (Especially Magic and Combat)
- Archetypes: races or ideal type?
- Steal the "Signature Weapon Enhanements" rule from Ready... Fight in order to develop the Brawl skill. (only that and maybe the disarm action)
- Steal the Basic weapon and Basic armor table from Keyforge in order to construct your armory.
- Don't touch anything about the magic system. Memorize only the tables and hope that your group have a bit of imagination and doesn't need the spell-spoon.
- Decide the talents and how all of you will use the story points.
- If you need really a Foundry side-book, take the skill guide especially for the tables about using the advantages/threats from skill checks.
- Elder Scroll, Kings of the Streets, Dark heresy, Inquisition and The Old World are the best fanmade settings where you can steal rules and talents.
- Stamp the table conversion number-symbols, if you don't have the official dice. (Or use the tons of apps)
- ???
- Profit and Fun
>>
The new 3D&T is shit
That's my contribution to this thread
>>
>>92558066
Very ESL OP
My favorite "Universal System" is Unisystem Classic, the system in AFMBE
You can run basically everything GURPS can but with a survival-horror mood baked right into the rules (you don't need to use the zombies)
>>
>>92561748
>End All Be All
That's it
>>
File: 1c3.jpg (29 KB, 600x342)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>92563673
I never heard about 3D&T.
Tell me more.

>>92563823
Maybe I should use Google Translator next time.
>>
File: Hero 6e.jpg (66 KB, 773x1000)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>92561327
HERO General
>>
>>92561327
UNISYSTEM sorta counts
>>
Not exactly a system, more like a toolbox: FUDGE (father of Fate) and Cortex Prime, which I just see as this century's new FUDGE.
>>
>>92561602
>how reasonable does this sound
Not reasonable at all. Under d4 to d10, a character with d6, d6, no aspect beats or ties a character with d10, d10 and also no aspect 24% of the time. With 4dF it's 6.45% to beat or tie if you have +0 and they have +4. Whatever math was supposed to make sense in dice size system will not make any under Fate, even if the expected values are a match.
>>
File: bard.jpg (63 KB, 564x954)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
Well!
I must say that this thread work better than I expected.
I was thinking it just die in 48 hours.
I guess I was wrong.
>>
ded thred
>>
>>92567557
Brazilian system, initially designed to emulate tokusatsu (think... original Power Rangers). It was called Defensores de Tóquio (Tokyo Defenders). 3D&T is the name of the third edition, alluding to AD&D.
>>
BRP 2e is good enough.

Though I have a question: Is there a d6 universal (generic) system?
>>
Full rez OP pic
>>
>>92587733
What do you mean? D6 System is universal.
>>
>>92588132
I meant a generic system using only d6 (as I hate d10 rolls).
Yeah, I guess you're right. The d6 system is also generic/universal.

Is there any other generic systems using d6-only?
>>
>>92588634
yes
>>
>>92588634
Like openD6, tricube tales, PDQ and, to some extend, tinyD6?
>>
>>92558066
Nice lust provoking image, got any more?
Anyways I don't have anything to say about universal systems because they are never the best choice for specific settings and half of them are just "oracles" and "this skill costs three supply points to have, can be used at will, and you roleplay its effects"
>>
>>92588770
weird post but alright
>>
>>92588634
Legend System is basically D6 System but you count successes (rolls of 3+) instead of pips. 3d6 is used by HERO and GURPS, and is optional in Fudge (and by extension, Fate).
One anon made a d6 dice pool system called Concord (https://docs.google.com/document/d/16RQdfMg8r2lkb4wCZlYyNs35NnyK2qWZSp0907FqWB4/) where you need a 4+ to succeed (attribute + skill just like D6), but the threshold changes by one if you try to do something three times faster or slower. Now, doing something three times faster is kind of rare anyway, but the math almost checks out at higher levels of difficulty and competence - the chance to succeed is roughly the same whether you roll three times or take the lower success threshold. It's cool, it's a /tg/ original, and that system feature is something I've been interested in for a while so I'm mentioning it. Never playtested but I did the maths, after the original thread died, unfortunately.
>>
>>92558066
I gave Mythras a read and it seems like a surprisingly tight system.

Can see myself use it to play anything from Lotr to Warhammer Fantasy to Conan the Barbarian
>>
>>92588758
open d6 is the same as d6 system
>tinyd6
again, a derivative from d6 system
>tricube tales
that's just someone's notes on a paper tissue, not a full game
>>
>>92558734
HERO
Unisystem
Cortex
EABA
Basic Roleplaying
Savage Worlds
Tri-Stat
BESM
OVA
More I'm sure I missed. There's a bunch. I wouldn't say they're all worth playing again - but there's a bunch.
>>
>>92561502
Its End All Be All. I haven't played it, but its notable for the PDF having software built into it to help you run he game, which I don't think anyone else does.
>>
>>92560229
GURPS could do it with a higher character point total, but I would lean towards a system that's built to handle capeshit plus other genres. I thought M&M was garbage, but other people like it. HERO would also do the job. If you look at what needs to be covered, a decent capeshit system will generally cover your shonen anime needs too.
>>
>>92560229
I've used Fudge for a JoJo game. Fudge supports endless exponential scaling but we didn't know about it back then and just fudged most of the stand vs. object and stand vs. man interactions based on what works in the manga.
>>
I have a genuine question: is the latest edition of HERO something people actually use? I gave the core book it a read after hearing people hype it up in comparison to GURPS but I was honestly not too impressed. Is there something I'm missing like an older edition being better, or some supplement?
>>
>>92563673
There's a newer one? I think it moved on to 4D&T at some point.
>>
>>92597754
I haven't run it yet but I'm switching to 6e from GURPS. What did you find lacking?
>>
shouldn't this thread be called just rpg general?
>>
What approach to in-game social interaction do you use and like most?
What skills do you use if any?
>>
>>92599669
I use games in my setting
>>
>>92597754
A lot of people say Hero 6e (though not as much as 5e) is too fiddly, and still prefer Hero 4e. But more seem to like 6e than 5e.
>>
Has anyone ever played Rusis?
How did it go?
>>
>>
What's a universal system where I could throw fire ball throwing mages, soldiers with machine guns, and weaboo swordsmen all together and have them all be useful? Alternatively, what system runs Sciency Fantasy well?

No, not GURPS. I want something more gamey than simulationist.
>>
>>92604066
She looks like she is a very good girl.
>>
>>92604134
3D&T is generic enough specifically to allow all that, but I don't know how much material has been translated to english.
>>
>>92604134
Sounds like urban fantasy hero + star hero to me.
Or some fate thing.

Unisystem could work too, but the unisystem SciFi stuff was mostly in their magazine.
>>
File: supers-10th.pdf (122 KB, PDF)
122 KB
122 KB PDF
>>
Does anyone in this thread know anything about ORE? How easy would it be to combine Monsters and Other Childish Things with a different ORE game, to make a game focused on summoner mages?
>>
>>92599849
care to expand?
>>
>>92589900
>Basic Roleplaying
god yes
>>
>>92610896
Its not horrible. I think I prefer the "Mythras Imperative" take on generic d100 though.
>>
>>92609141
Dice may or may not be involved
>>
>>92612565
What're the pros and cons of each? I got my players on to Call of Cthulhu, Delta Green, and Runequest and I think we're mostly converted to d100 but I want to do something in a homebrew setting.
>>
File: Hastyur.jpg (71 KB, 563x729)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>
>>92608569
I've ran ORE enough that I've essentially created an offshoot that can do whatever it is I want with little problem. Have you checked out NEMESIS?
>>
>>92561327
MiniSix also exists
>>
We will continue in new thread.

>>92630706

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.