[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Dungeons/enemies based on emotions?

I got the basic ones, like Fear, Anger, Lust, Joy, Curiosity, Sloth, Hungry... But what more could I use? Any ideas?
>>
Dwarves are pride and orcs are wrath.
>>
Post more images, I like that shit
>>
>>92560750
Looks like that wheel you posted has a lot of emotions and concepts you can design dungeons and enemies on.
Get to work.
>>
>>92560750
The Ultima series of video games has dungeons based on vices which are opposed by the shrines of virtue. See here:

https://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Shame
https://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Words_of_Power_(dungeons)
https://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Dungeon
>>
File: 1573511989412.jpg (51 KB, 611x735)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>92560750
You already posted a pic full of names of emotions.
If you're asking for ideas based on specific dungeons/enemies, then perhaps you should share what you've already come up with for fear/anger/etc. instead of expecting us to just guess what you're looking for.
Like you could probably make some insect enemy with different larval stages based on the five stages of grief but that flips around between a lot of different portions of the emotional spectrum.

At a certain point though you're going to start getting into overlap because there's not that much difference between a sadness monster and a sorrow monster.
>>
>>92561757
>hen perhaps you should share what you've already come up with for fear/anger/etc.
Makes sense.

> Fear Temple
One room will be in total darkness.
Other will have as puzzle a door with a hole in it. Think the Demon Head in Tomb of Annihilation, but instead of death, it holds the key to progress - The idea is that the character must overcome the fear.

> Curiosity Temple
The whole idea of finding the temple is following a plea from somewhere and falling to the main hall, unable to leave from where they came.
One room have a monster that gets bored if attacked by the same type of damage, becoming resistant to it.

>insect enemy with different larval stages based on the five stages of grief but that flips around between a lot of different portions of the emotional spectrum.
This would be a great idea for Grief, but I would personally split a 5-phase boss monster into 5 encounters, each one the monster escaping.

>At a certain point though you're going to start getting into overlap because there's not that much difference between a sadness monster and a sorrow monster.
Yeah, that is the kind of problem I'm having, unless I really craft each encounter to a very specific type of emotion.
>>
>>92562526
Really, it seems like the better call would just be to make a bestiary of the broad strokes of emotions, and then mix and match to get to more specific aspects.
Like anger can easily just apply to various rage-monsters, but it could also be monsters that are designed to drive the party berserk or turn them against eachother, for instance. There isn't really a need to also include things like hate or frustration, because those are also implied within anger to a degree.

Likewise for fear, there's a lot of potential angles. Having situations which require bravery and taking a chance is an obvious way to have it test things, but just in general there's a lot of forms of fear and horror beyond just things being dark. Jump scares and lingering threats work well, but one can also have threats that tailor themselves to the players more specifically.

Ultimately there is only so much you can do with the concept before you'd start seeing things getting recycled. A better tact would probably be if the dungeons or enemies themselves are within the mind or sourced from the emotions of a specific individual, which means that the dungeon and monsters can be based upon that person's specific personality and emotional state.
Somebody might be an angry person and have a lot of anger monsters as a result, but a person is unlikely to be 100% pure senseless rage, which allows you to sprinkle in other aspects.
>>
>>92560750
What are some good choices for enemies/traps in a dungeon based on Lust besides Succubi or illusions of a person's ideal women that lead you into a pitfall, respectively?
>>
>>92565456
Not your thread.
>>
>>92568081
My thread and I don't care if >>92565456 wants to use it to stir discussion.

>>92565456
I would broad Lust into Desire. Dragon Age did a good Desire Demon that, although the design was horny demon, did some other things than just sex-related.

>>92563541
The idea of using a person and not a pure emotion is valid. Someone may be wrathful because he misses a loved one, but other person may be just depressed because of it.
>>
>>92560750
How is "Genius" an emotion? Because otherwise this gives me "Inside Out" vibes. Presumably the dungeons based on those would be dominated by puzzles.
>>
>>92562526
>sadness monster and a sorrow monster
Easy. Sadness monster will say "living the dream" when you ask why they're in the dungeon. Sorrow monster will burst into tears and talk about his dead wife until you awkwardly sneak out of the room.
>>
>>92560750
Boredom is a subset of Disgust, not Sad. It's why it's so nearly impossible to ignore. Imagine tolerating siting next to a pile of shit, that's what it's like to be bored.
>>
>>92561218
You really could've pulled from one of the good Ultima games, anon, not the last gasp of the franchise as EA tried to wring blood from the proverbial stone.
>>
>>92560760
>deathly sins
More?
>>
>>92569900
Isn't every sin basically an unhealthy amount of desire?
>Wrath- Desire for violence
>Gluttony- Desire for sustenance
>Pride- Desire for Praise
>Envy- Desire for things that others have
>Sloth- Desire for free time/relaxation
>Lust- Desire for sex
>Greed- Desire for wealth
>>
>>92560750
genius is not an emotion

>>92576635
shut up bumpfag
>>
>>92591351
The Catholic view is in my honest opinion pretty good:
>evil is only a departure from good, otherwise banal
>bad exists because of a lack of good
>thus departure from natural needs is bad and can become evil
>justice becomes revenge, eating becomes revelry, high spirits become pride/hubris, determination becomes envy, rest becomes laziness, procreation becomes lust, and industriousness becomes greed
Here, Satan fell because he was the single highest spirit directly beneath God.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.