[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.jpg (17 KB, 291x173)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
ITT: we fix Yugioh.
My suggestion: have the player going second start the game with Maxx "C" in hand. There are literally no negatives to this. We could be doing this tomorrow.
>>
>>92561617
>Standardize certain do's-and-don't's for card effects to avoid things like Kashtira Fenrir, Promethean Princess, and Snake-Eye Poplar from appearing in the future. These things also prevent stuff like Halq, Spright Elf, most of the banned Link Monsters as the case would be
>Re-standardize xenolocking, and make a point to standardize printing them on their starters and/or extenders. Just broad strokes type/attribute/ED type locks so that they still have a large amount of flexibility, but also reign in their plays
>Schedule the banlists as they do in the OCG

These are the things that I can think of short of making an entirely new format. The problem is just the way the effects are designed
>>
I'm pretty sure the only way to fix yu-gi-oh is banning every single combo that is even remotely game-winning or locking you out of playing cards.
And then ban every form of very large card advantage, slow it down to a crawl again.
After Invasion of Chaos the game ceased to be interesting.
Or maybe allow a max of 2 special summons per turn, that could be cool too.
>>
>>92561849
Other formats, you say? Well I sure said it in my post

>Duel Point(DP) system
>Each individual card is assigned a DP value, which is automatically calculated based on their usage and win rates in Master Duel, all compiled in the Neuron App for easy access
>Store owners and tournament organizers can assign a maximum DP value for their events, where decks built must have a cumulative DP value that is less than or equal to that DP value
>In casual queue on Master Duel, you are instead paired with players within the same DP range as your own deck
>DP is updated on a weekly basis for Master Duel players, but on a Monthly basis on Neuron (so that you aren't scrambling to rebuild your decks every week)
>Lax banlist. Not no-ban, but most things come off so that players can experiment

It's like a Smogon-style system that takes advantage of the fact that they can pool live data from MD. Effectively what you'd be doing is creating an environment with a soft cap on what you can or cannot run. Bad decks get paired with bad decks, good decks get paired with good decks, and if you wanna swing downward you have to compromise your builds so that you can stomp weaker decks.
>>
>>92561891
I was thinking they could just limit how many times you can chain a card or yeah just limit special summons. Atleast for the 1st turn.
>>
>>92561945
Nah i would do it for every turn.
Time to set some traps and play spells instead if you wanna win.
>>
>>92561617
-increase the card size
-retrain every old school classic card
-give every card an ability
-every monster card has arrows on them
-monster effects are limited to non-target banishment maximum
-banishment is only effective for one turn unless otherwise stated by the card
(ex: while your opponent possesses more lifepoints than you the card doesn't return to the field)
-target destroy and negate destroy are limited to spell and trap cards
-xyz, link, pendulum, and synchro summoning are gone
-fusions now rely on star levels as requirement
-for fusions extra deck small star counts are white cards, high stars are black
-ritual monsters are replaced by gemini monsters, they are red cards
-they are initially played as a spell or trap card, and they move to the monster zone when normal summoned, and gain their abilities as more summons are used on them
-they're the only monsters whose abilities rival those of spell and trap cards, and they're the strongest monsters in the game
-when a player reaches half life points they are allotted two normal summons per turn, or a single 5/6 star monster
-there's a new card type called gateway summoning, they are purple cards
-they are summoned in the field zone or to the top of the graveyard, they have arrows on them
-they allow destroyed cards to avoid going to the graveyard and instead return to the field
-when they're destroyed they remain put in the graveyard or in the field zone and their arrow effects cease
>>
>>92561617

Make it so that no card can have more than one simple effect, 10 words max.
>>
People should just admit they only care about the old Yugioh aesthetic. Replies in these threads are always the same; make an entire new game or go back to year 1 TCG. Like this retard >>92561891

>>92561957
You mean things that happen in modern Yugioh?

>>92562343
>-retrain every old school classic card
They do the all the time. Every other point is retarded. Just make your own game.

>>92562365
Retard that doesn't understand trading card game design, specially for one that over 25 years.

>>92561849
Unironically the only good post in this garbage thread.
>>
>>92562343
I've seen some pretty dogshit suggestions over the years but this list has got to be the worst yet.
>>
>>92562446
>Retard that doesn't understand trading card game design
I understand design perfectly. Yugioh's design is awful. It's a shit game.
>>
>>92561617
Each player can't touch the extra deck on their first turn. This hopefully reels in the "sit and watch" aspect of long turns from the player going first. It potentially encourages the use of traditional traps to set on turn 1 as traps one of the 3 card types is the most neglected. And then from a card design standpoint don't just print a bunch of broken shit trying to get around the extra deck restriction of the first turn. Obviously this won't fix everything but its a start.
>>
>>92563073
Games get more complex over time. There's a limited amount of things you can do with 10 words max. Look at every card game that has ever existed.

>>92563111
Another person completely oblivious to the modern game.
>>
>>92563073
There is nothing wrong with the game mechanically. The only issue is the way that modern cards are designed. Case in point, the majority of the broken cards recently have been Main Deck Monsters.
>>
>>92561617
here's how to fix yugioh
>stop buying the cards you don't like
>start buying the cards you like
>curate them into a cube
>???
>profit (except for konami lmao fuck them)
>>
>>92562728
is too big brained for you
>>
>>92563159
>Games get more complex over time.
they really dont even have to. power creep is the most tell tale sign that a designer lacks foresight.
>>
>>92564554
Power creep is an inevitability in all games. The only thing that matters is how bad they let it get. When things are designed responsibly, which they were up until around the end of DIFO, everything's fine. That was a Branded/SwSo/Floo-dominated format, which while not perfect, was leagues better than what we have now.

The current format is the result of them designing shit in an irresponsible manner. They have a lot of enablers with no inhibitors, one-card engines that feed into one-card engines that you can run alongside oneanother without restriction. I have two suspicions as to why this happened -- The torch was passed to youngbloods that don't know any better, or Konami finally fell for the meme that they need to powercreep every set in order for their products to sell. The format is miserable either way.
>>
>>92565498
>Power creep is an inevitability in all games.
it's really not though, it might look that way when all you've ever witnessed was most series falling into it, however with foresight a game can be designed without power creep.
making new stuff more powerful than old stuff is just a simple tactic of compelling sales.
it's a carrot dangled on a stick for everyone looking to throw money at the screen so to speak.
>>
The game is what is at this point, there is too many arch types built around the new style to go back.
>>
>>92561617
Oh, another one of these threads. Alright, so, it's gonna go like this:

The people wanting to change it:
>30% of the thread will be able to be summarized as "it is not like game I play"
>50% of this thread will be people recalling the childhood "playground" version of Yu-Gi-Oh where effects were frequently misunderstood and was generally unoptimized so not like how the game was played competitively at all
>20% will be people attacking how they imagine the game is rather than how the game actually is and will make decisions that make the game actively worse
>10% will be people who started and stopped playing competitively at random times and will try to force according to random eras, all of which are different.

The people defending the game:
>30% will be people who's only complaints are about the price of the game because they like the game
>30% will be people who's only complaints are about the price of the game because they've invested so much that they can't back out
>15% will be people too scared of change
>10% will be people pointing at Time Wizard with a slim chance of other alternate formats
>5% will be people who actually play the game enough to understand it and will be too busy pointing out how dumb all the proposals of the people wanting to change the game

You have now read the entire thread.
>>
>>92566780
Percentage goes over 100% on the first group because that second category has an incredible level of overlap, and percentage is under 100% for the second category because there's wildcard stuff that comes up.
>>
>>92566151
That's all nice in theory, but every TCG that exists is subjected to power creep. That's just how TCGs work. MtG today is not like MtG in the early 2000s, just the same as how Yugioh today is not the same as it was in 2004. Even if you point to the state of both games 1 decade ago, they don't play the same because shit naturally gets power crept out of the game.

The difference between the two is that MtG is designed in such a way that the power creep happens more gradually. In Yugioh, we'd get spikes of power spikes that would almost immediately settle afterwards, but lately it's been entirely on the rise. Again, my suspicions are either youngbloods or Konami falling for the powercreep = sales meme.
>>
>>92566780
The first reply to the thread was none of the above.
>>
>>92568575
>That's just how TCGs work.
it's not though, I should have to keep reiterating this point.
you only think so because every TCG keeps doing it, and they keep doing it simply to upsell the players on cards.
they effectively are running a live service game, and they do not have to do that.
>>
>>92566151
your naivety is endearing
>>
File: rhythm.jpg (24 KB, 300x284)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>92568776
>(power creep) is just how TCGs work
>it's not though
>you only think so because every TCG keeps doing it
Are you even reading the stupid shit you're writing?
>>
>>92566151
Let's try designing a set for an imaginary game.
>Set 1 has 300 cards.
>4 types of cards; creature/monsters, sorcery/spell speed 1 card, instant/spell speed 2 cards, Equips.
>Creatures/monsters have 5 main attributes; Earth/Water/Fire/Air and Void. Void are generic cards in Set 1. More will be added in later sets. There will tribes/archetypes
>Attribute has its own playstyle
>Buddyfight resource system, including Charge and Draw. There care cards that can increase resource. Each player starts with 2. Cards that can be played without resource/alternate cost can exist.
>Unlimited board space.
>100 life. Have to attack monsters before attacking player directly. There are blockers/intercept Attacking into a monster and destroying does no damage happens. Cards can have or give piercing.
>60 card deck minimum. Flag card like in Buddyfight. Deck can only have Attribute flag allows and Void/Generic cards.
>phases are Draw, Main, Battle, Main 2, End

Alright. Set 1 has 4 Flags, one for each attribute. Flags have no effects in Set 1.

Plan out Set 1 and 4 starter decks, and then 10 more sets and 10 precons. Each set after Set 1 has 200 cards. Remember NO POWER CREEP
>>
>>92568777
>>92568888
I'm only going to say it one more time, you're too stupid to understand card games do not have to be designed with power creep if the designer has foresight. It's all (you) ever have known, you basically are suffering a stockholm syndrome.
>>
>>92568959
Go on and show me, you wont be able to because you are starting off with a premise of designing a fucking "Gotcha!", in philosophy this is what is known as a strawmann. You think that when you design a faulty premise that wont be tenable that it somehow defeats my in-so-far unpresented ideas & concepts. You should be asking me how it's done from the ground up, instead of being an ignoramus.
>>
>>92569021
If you don't want powercreep, you make a LCG. Expansions wouldn't come out often enough for powercreep to really need to happen.
>>
>>92569021
And YOU should be citing a single example of a TCG that doesn't have power creep in it, instead of farting nonsense towards me from your upper asshole.
>>92568776
>you only think so because every TCG keeps doing it,

Oh that's right; you can't!
>>
>>92569021
How is it done from the ground up?
>>
day one player here, and the game is more fun now than it was in 2002. it's more fun every year. my only suggestion would be to offer more trap cards that activate from hand, and heavily benefit going second, to offset the huge majority of going first decks. if you actually are a good player and have a decent deck though, you'll break whatever board or manage it thoroughly enough going second. yugiboomers can fuck off
>>
>>92576543
聖王の粉砕
Normal Trap Card
You can only activate 1 card with this card’s name per turn. If your opponent controls a card, you can activate this card from your hand.
(1) When a card or effect is activated that includes an effect that adds a card(s) from the Deck to the hand: For the rest of this Duel after this card activated from the hand resolves, you cannot activate DARK, WATER, and FIRE monster effects, also negate the activation, then, if you have a Trap in your GY, destroy that card.

At some point in the near future we'll get an actual image of the card that isn't from a commercial.
>>
>>92561617

I get that a lot of people want GOAT format back but I think to “save yugioh” a number of things need to happen:

Konami needs to make the game friendlier to new players by giving stores good demo kits and events

For serious players, prize support needs to be wayyyyy better at regionals and YCSs. Cash prize, legit winnings, something that rewards professional level of play.

TCG needs to be treated equally. No more favoring OCG with releases, rarities, reprints, products etc.

More product needs to be in circulation. My store and many other smaller stores near me are so populated that they can’t get sealed product.

Support legacy formats more.

>for the game itself
Everyone here bitches and complains about “combos” which shows how little they play the current game. Or effects being too strong. The changes that need to happen are to keep things balanced and offer rouge decks better ways of contending. The posts here about “duel points” and banning hand traps and similar drastic changes are retarded and would never help. There is a state the game is in and a large player base following it, so you need to work with those confines.

I think some simple but elegant changes that don’t fundamentally change the game could be:
>having the second player start with 6 to increase hand trap likelihood starting
>possibly having a turn 0 in which both players set traps from their starting hands to make traps a legit threat. This would require some bans and possible errata but I think would generally make traps a more solid pick for rouge strategies.
>eliminating OTK by implementing a last resort rule like banishing your graveyard and field to survive by 100 or something
>make starting hand size proportional to deck size so less consistent strategies can play bigger, more diverse decks.

>>>92576543
This
>>
Some games can rely on rotation to reset when things get out of hand and start over but that doesn't really work in ygo. Pretty much all the early sets are basically harmless to keep around and the few problem cards are dealt with using the banlist. What would actually do something is if they deleted the block of cards with card design from links onward and be more careful going forward.

Links brought a lot lasting harmful changes. The extra monster zone is essentially a free 6th zone for more combo spam. Zone placement with cards like imperm and link arrows shouldn't be something that matters. From the perspective of new players zone placement is just another layer of complexity in an already very complex game. The existence of the link mechanic really ramped things up via archetype card design in a way that was very noticeable. That said I know its unrealistic for them to just delete a mechanic, there's no going back.
>>
>>92565498
you fucking idiot. powercreep is cancer.
>>
>>92576543
look at this fucking faggot. i hope you die soon
>>
>>92581792
When in the world did I say that it wasn't? It's an inevitability that you want to mitigate as much as humanly possible, that doesn't change the fact that it's bad.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.