[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713750237196878.jpg (477 KB, 1920x1026)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
>Tau get characterized as the 'mech faction'
>But the Imperium has more mechs, bigger mechs, places more importance on their mechs, and has more powerful mechs
>>
>>92612647
False, the T'au have many more crisis suits than the Imperium does power armour. Prove me wrong. You can't because 40k doesn't have lore, just consensus.
>>
>>92612647
>Tau get characterized as the 'mech faction'
that's the worst part
they were never supposed to be
they've been mishandled for so many years that everyone forgot their identity
fate worse than death
>>
>>92612674
>False, the T'au have many more crisis suits than the Imperium does power armour
Power armor =/= mechs
>>
Old school imperial mechs looked cool, peaking with the warhound titan. The new ones all look gay.
>>
>>92612708
I never thought I'd agree with a tau fan.
>>
>>92612708
100% this.
I've been waiting for more xenos within Tau for 2 decades now.
>>
>>92612647
The Imperium is radically bigger idiot, of course they have more of everything.
>>
>>92613881
Even relative to their size though they invest a lot more in mechs.
>>
>>92612708
you say that as if the tau were an expression of a creative vision and not an inherently malleable marketing ploy to get gundam weebs to pay hundreds of dollars for less than a kilogram of plastic
>>
Because most imperial mechs are usually too large to be used at warhammer's scale. You can't be the mech faction if they're all too big to fit on the board.
>>92613987
you say that as if the warhammer was an expression of a creative vision and not an inherently malleable marketing ploy to get british people to pay hundreds of dollars for less than a kilogram of plastic
>>
>>92614250
>Because most imperial mechs are usually too large to be used at warhammer's scale.
That's what Dreadnoughts are for
>>
File: dreadSizes.png (989 KB, 1178x792)
989 KB
989 KB PNG
>>92614278
dreadnoughts are also too big now
>>
>>92612741
Crisis suits =/= power armor
>>
>>92613615
Sorry, best James can do is another five Kroot units
>>
>>92612647
always hated that for most people Tau were supposed muh animu muh gundam muh nipponese faction, that even GW made the Tau codex the first one to be translated to Japanese.

For me the Tau were as /m/ as RWBY was /a/
>>
>>92614422
jfc
>>
>>92612708
I like Tau suits, I really do, but in a perfect world they'd be elites and leaders to bring the jaw-dropping disparity of the Tau forces into focus.

That way we can stop having idiot conversations about how 'Tau are the good guys' and we can characterize them correctly as 'utopian meritocracy gone wrong'.

Squads of brainwashed infantry in segregated and compartmentalized expendable squads thrown into the meat-grinder so the elite cavalry and more valuable assets can come sweeping in. A faithless and secular mirror of the imperium where a blue or pink man are equally worthless unless they survive against horrifying odds and perform the proper obeisance to the powers that be. Mercenaries, foreigners and outlanders brought into the fold with preferential treatment for their utility, but equals only as a matter of lip service.

That's why I'm ultra pissed with the new codex; both by making the classic Crisis suits more ubiquitous and less powerful AND making half of the detachments fucking tribal. I accepted they couldn't be assed to give Gue'vesa as guardsman transplants, but they really want to make Tau into a bunch of tiny ass sub-armies that you'll sometimes play together.
>>
>>92612647
the tau are the mecha faction, they're supposed to be the diplomacy faction, but GW are faggots.

that being said, the bluies mass produce XV8's, so it is not inaccurate
>>
>>92618332
Please refer back to this post >>92613987
>>
>>92618653
Yes, retard. They SELL the little grey army men.

We all fucking know.
>>
>>92618332
>compartmentalized expendable squads
Nothing in the Tau Empire makes sense as being expendable, the Tau are too small for anything to be expendable.
>>
>>92619865
Besides their alien allies.
>>
>>92619895
No. The codexes in 3rd and 4th ed edition and sources about the Gue'vesa say that the T'au don't use their alien allied forces as cannon fodder.
>>
>>92619895
Nope, still doesn't make sense. Their alien allies are too few to be expendable.
>>
File: Sentinel.jpg (251 KB, 1101x1600)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
>>92612674
Try Sentinels instead.
>>
Tau started as space india, where their caste systems and coalition of varying aliens were all guided and structured by their philosophical groupings. It was honestly a really cool take that slowly morphed into what we have today. I say that as an Oldcrons grog myself, where at least my huge faction change added flavor vs. flanderizing the entire force.
>>
Tau should not exist.
They should have never existed.

Their shit should have just been Eldar or shared with other xenos.

Easily the worst faction in all of 40k.
>>
>>92620967
>Their shit should have just been Eldar or shared with other xenos.
None of their stuff fits with the Eldar or any of the other xenos.
>>
>>92620986
>30+ year old xenos models
>every xeno range is unfinished
Fuck you T`auf`ag
>>
>>92621018
Why don't you just give the Imperium Ork models too while you're at it?
>>
>>92621030
Holy shit.
I'm not saying give other factions crisis suits dummy!
I'm saying use that plastic to finish the unfinished xenos we already had.
>>
>>92621053
>he thinks the reason GW isn't releasing more models is because of a plastic shortage
Jesus christ anon come back to reality, they're not making more models because they don't think they'll sell.
>>
>>92621060
>plastic shortage
Absolutely retauded

Tau shouldn't exist.
Deal with it.
>>
>>92621090
Look at the statistics for global plastic production.
>>
>>92619865
If we're going to take a break from the setting every time something doesn't add up as its written we're going to be sitting here for longer than any of us have on this planet. Clearly it would need to have been written differently, like space dwarves magically appearing in the hundreds of millions (at least).

Lore has substantial and often glaring inconsistencies and sci-fi writers have no sense of scale. More at at 11.
>>
>>92612647
Knights are the coolest shit in 40k and I'm not going to pretend otherwise.
>>
>>92612674
>T''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''aufag trying to lecture somebody about the fluff
>>
>>92620335
Tau are space United States. They were created around the time of the Irak war, if the imperial guard is space WW2 Red Army the Tau are space United States army with drones and markers and intelligent amunition with a dash of anime suits.
>>
>>92612647
I don't ask /40kg/
>>
>>92612647
Tyranids are the zergrush faction but look at what the imperium does.

GW focuses so much on Imperium shit that they basically become good at everything in one of their armies or another while any other faction is basically left to atrophy. Except Chaos I think?
>>
Have the Tau encountered the Necrons yet in the plot? I would think accidentally awakening a tomb world would be akin to waking up Durin’s Bane to the Tau. Or would they luck out with a dynast who is at least willing to talk to them since they seem civilized?
>>
>>92623103
Nah, they will stomp the necrons like nothing just like everything else.
>>
>>92623103
They've had a couple encounters so far, the Necrons usually clear them off the Tomb World without much trouble.
>>
>>92612647

The best way I can put it is that the frames of the Imerpium are akin to old wisened beings wanting to rip and tear tempered by humanities reason while the tau are the new up and coming upstarts wanting to prove themselves, they are eager and while they employ great technologies they do so without knowing the true horrors.
>>
>>92623416
The Tau don't even really employ great technologies, most Tau tech is inferior to Imperium tech.
>>
>>92623422
There's a difference when you actually know how it works and can make lots of it.
>>
File: Binary_Succession_Titan.jpg (238 KB, 1280x552)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>92623443
Tbf the amount of stuff that the Imperium can't make more of is actually pretty small. To put it into perspective, the Imperator is more advanced than everything the Tau Empire has, and the Adeptus Mechanicus is still pumping them out.
>>
>>92623490
Tech comparisons are as inherently masturbatory in 40k as scale comparisons-- they're inconsistent and largely ludicrous even at first blush. People bring up pulse weapons and railguns and IMMEDIATELY people will pop up with 'VOTAN HAS BETTER RAILS' and 'BUT THIS CHAPTER MASTER HAS A RELIC BOLTGUN THATS ALSO A RAILGUN' or similar asinine comparisons. Shield technology immediately gets "BUT VOID SHIELDS" as if they make it to any unit on the tabletop that isn't a Titan, Knight or super special named character. Don't get me started on "DIGITAL WEAPONS", which if /tg/ loremasters are to be believed come in every crackerjack box sold from Terra to Ultramar and every other one beyond that (losing boxes just get stickers).

Even with the disparity in scale between the Imperium and the Tau Empire I'm confident that the number of crisis suits made in a day outnumber of new titans produced at least 10 to 1. This doesn't invalidate the marvel and scale of titans, but I'm sure it'll be 20 minutes before some GW writer makes an even bigger Tau suit to be annoyed about and insists its 10x as advanced as a titan 4 times its size and the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments will start all over again.

For general use Tau tech puts their average fighting forces about on par with general use space marine technology and probably just under admech tech. A firewarrior's gear is what carries them to being better man-to-man than a guardsman and any comparison that isn't apples to apples is just silly.
>>
Why does most IRL criticism of the Tau read like in-universe projection from the Imperium?
>>
>>92623609
While a fair point, this sort of just brings up the general thing about the Tau as a whole:
They're not actually the "advanced tech" faction. Nor are they the "elite" faction either, the Space Marines and Eldar have a stranglehold on that.

They're pretty much just a standard, conventional faction. They exist solely to contrast with the weirdness of everyone else.
>>
Isn't it weird how achilles could be killed by an arrow to the heel just because that's where his mother held him when she dipped him in the styx? Why didn't she just switch heels and dip him again? Why are the writers of ancient greek lore so dumb? Why can't they be smart like me? It's so inconstent? How can anyone enjoy these stories? I feel like everyone but me is missing the point entirely.
>>
File: 1618437398607.jpg (88 KB, 540x720)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>92612784
agreed, love the lucius pattern warlord, the new ones look too smooth and rounded. titans should be giant bricks of PURE HATE
>>
>>92612674
>"T'au"
Opinions discarded.
nu41k is garbage and so're you.
>>
>>92623651
Honestly I think it's a focus drift problem more than anything else. I don't think Primaris were the start of it, but Marines used to be a sort of medieval knight kind of faction with their advanced equipment being religiously maintained icons of sentimentality and history, it still reads into their lore with litanies and prayers playing alongside weapon drills for these warrior monks, but now they're constantly getting new toys, not in the sense of just getting the lions share of content, but actual lore modern replacements and modernization.

Tau on the other hand apparently have had either 10 or 110 years to produce production versions of the Cyclical Ion Blaster and various other guns or improve their existing suits, though it seems the consensus between rules and lore is that not only has this not happened, the latest and greatest in Tau battlesuit technology is a rogue shogun ricing up a plasma gun to go with the neat stick he found. Some of their newest stuff lore wise is in fact disappearing into legends at an alarming rate.

None of this is really critical for the health of the game or the faction; but it is an added annoyance on top of design woes. In a lot of ways I would have preferred shitty nerfed versions of prototype equipment sold on upgrade sprues than having the newest magically disappear back into the toybox while another color of marines gets another gokart with stubbers taped to it.
>>
>>92623677
The FW titans are also too small, that titan is 8 (eight) inches taller than the FW warlord.
>>
Tau shouldnt exist in the setting. They essentially just ripped off the Eldar's schtick of being the high tech alien faction with mecha and grav tanks.
Also they are the equivalent of a minor xenos faction that got wiped out in the HH.

The Tau had their own gimmick which was a coalition of varied xenos but GW hasn't stuck with it.
>>
>>92623628
because you cant seperate fact from fiction due to mental illness
>>
>>92623628
That a small, centralized empire of a 100 worlds doesn't really fit the galactic scale of WH40k and any story involving them has to take place in a small region of space on a relatively homogenous kind of planet (not counting their non-Tau allies who don't receive much attention)?
>>
>>92629342
Yeah, but why are we talking about Ultramar?
>>
>>92623677
It's that angular look of the 90s sci-fi that sort of lingered with forgeworld's designs that make them look rugged, easy to manufacture (relatively) and makes them look like works of desperation by a civilization that is hanging on.

The new titans all have weird fish helmets and the whole "knights in space" thing is just being handled kinda gay. The space marines were already knights in space.
>>
>>92623991
The problem with the Tau getting new toys is that GW realized that if the Tau advanced at the rate that they were promised early on, the Imperium would quickly become a non-threat to the Tau. Like that bit of lore that said that Tau XV-88's were testing railgun targeting software that could shoot drop pods out of the sky, which is mentioned exactly once and then never again. Why? Because if the Tau ever got that incremental improvement to their software, *space marines could never fight the Tau again*. Which is obviously a no-go. You can't have your flagship faction get completely cock blocked on the battlefield because the other guy has the paper to your rock. And since the Imperium isn't really allowed to innovate, that means that Tau can't advance beyond the ability for the Imperium to use the same shit it always has and still be winning with it.
>>
>>92623628
Imperial fanboys are deranged and the fact that the Tau exists at all makes them extremely mad. Even though the Tau have probably been in the game longer than most of them have been playing it, they have inherited the meme of the Tau being something new and against the setting.
>>
>>92612647
One, the Imperium is a bloated, overhyped, conceptually swollen faction that is far too many subfactions for its own good.

Secondly, Titans have been too powerful to actually field in tabletop, and too expensive to make models of, for like 9/10ths of 40K's existence.
>>
>>92614250
You say that as if "br*ts" count as people.
>>
>>92632255
Imperium *is* the setting, the rest exist as the background
>>
>>92631498
Tau fanboys are deranged*
>>
>>92637362
>No u
>>
>>92637386
Tau fanboys are literally the only faggots that continually seethe at the "Imperium" and imaginary "Imperium fanboys" because they think the entire point of Tau is a better xenos imperium. And the Tau are some epic takedown of the Imperium.
>>
>>92637418
Are these Tau fanboys in the room with us?
>>
File: 1697017663560595.jpg (34 KB, 480x480)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Titans as "giant british robots with cathedrals on them" never felt like something GW cobbled from somewhere else. Maybe originally there was a giant robot theme, somewhere, but titans always feel like their own native British Mecha.

Tau are the Japanese Mecha faction, by that token, which is an important distinction just as the Craftworld Eldar are the Super Sentai faction and space marines are marvel superheroes.
>>
>>92637428
you are one you mentally ill cunt. No idea why people like you feel the need to get this worked up over fiction.
>>
>>92637479
>Comes from nowhere to complain about a fictional faction
>Claims other people are getting worked up
Are you okay anon? Do you need to sit down and talk about it?
>>
>>92637450
Titans are a parody of Mechwarrior.

Originally Eldar were the mecha faction because their technology is "organic" and moves like a living being.
>>
>>92637486
>off the bat goes for gaslighting
>belying the fact he is a Tau fanboy
>acts shocked people call them out on their bluff
Dont act like a stupid asshole and people wont think of you as dumb.
>>
>>92613901
Lol, no they don't.
>>
>>92637503
>Starts screaming incoherently at ghosts
>Acts surprised when people don't take them seriously
I'm here when you need to talk about it
>>
File: 1698351514458891.jpg (109 KB, 927x1080)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>92637492
Mechwarrior started in 1989, titans were in rogue trader in 1987.
>>
>>92637520
>doubles down on gaslighting
>proving the point
You are pretty much why people hate tau fags, you are just a secondary poltard that wants to shove marxism in the setting.
>>
>>92637531
battletech is 1984. Nice try
>>
>>92637492
I assume you mean battletech instead, since that started in 1984. But battletech has nothing that looks similar to the imperator titan with its cathedral so it's still outside the range of what I was thinking about.
>>
>>92637533
>Brings up Marxism out of nowhere when discussing a fascist faction
Ah, you're from /pol/, that explains it
>>
>>92637540
See >>92637544
And you are still missing what I specifically was talking about with cathedrals and shit on robots, so the "warhammer is a straight copy of everything else" mental illness still persists on this gay board.
>>
>>92637545
No i am not from pol you actual poltard, go back there and scream about jews
>>
>>92637545
>>92637533
>heh you're a /pol/tard
>wrong, you're the /pol/tard!
Ladies please, there's enough of the totalitarian cock to go around for everyone.
>>
>>92637556
You're literally screaming "MARXISM!" at a textbook fascist faction. You don't belong here.
>>
>>92637544
>>92637553
Titans are blatantly GWs version of Mechs from battletech, they just made them ridiculously huge as a subtle jab at mechs themselves being considered ridiculously impractical and huge. Also to differentiate their product
>>
>>92637561
>>92637562
go back to your subreddit sigmarxists, this isnt a pol board
>>
>>92637568
>imperator is big and has a different design because it's a different product
Yes that's what I said, I was looking for the 1:1 inspiration of the imperator and there seems to be none. A singular series cannot claim to have invented giant robots, but the warhound is clearly a 1:1 with battletech robots.
>>
>>92637598
they even have knights in houses like Battletech houses
>Imperator
That or the warlord is kinda like the Atlas of 40k
>>
>>92637578
You were the only one to bring it up.
>>
>>92637634
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>92637636
>Actively tries to shill for other boards on /tg/
You wanna keep it /tg/ related maybe?
>>
>>92637598
>>92637568
It just hit me recently Titans are a mechwarrior parody. Never really thought about it before
>>
The easy way to fix Tau is just to go back to their initial premise of lots of xenos races fighting together. Thats fun and interesting.
>>
>>92637450
Honestly Imperium mechs are actually much more Japanese in terms of how they're treated than the Tau mechs. The Tau just treat their mechs like a piece of equipment or a weapon, ie western style mechs. The Imperium has their mechs having a spirit and being an extension of ones-self and shit like that.
>>
Titans are basically walking battleships with void shields and gun batteries

Tau battlesuits are badly designed weeb garbage. Though recent improvements on the design of the crisis battlesuit types are nice.
>>
>>92637658
Tau crisis suits are basically dreads but without the cripple marine.
In keeping with GWs early theme of every faction needs a dread equivalent.
>>
>>92614740
Are they at least cool ones?
>>
tau fags will never mention the fact tau tech often causes brain damage or irradiates the user because the Greater Good equates to by any means and tau and their allies are disposable.
Volunteering for weapon testing is not a great idea in the Tau empire.
>>
>>92637815
>tau tech often causes brain damage
Which story is this from?
>>
>>92637815
>Tau-anon is finally admitting that the Tau give their auxiliaries their most powerful weapons alongside their Tau soldiers
Feelsgoodman
>>
>>92637819
The initial railgun lore was the feedback from the neuro-whats-it interfaced with the Tau shattered their brains on firing.
The Ethereal in charge was just like "ship it", I believe its also mentioned in some crisis suit lore
>>
File: IMG_7474.jpg (163 KB, 1600x838)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>92637647
Yeah, "parody". Like all of warhammers other "satire". It's real easy to come up with new fresh ideas and concepts when you're the big funny parody setting.
>>
>>92638091
parody is not satire brainlet kun
>>
>>92638091

The catapult is obvious, and I think the middle one is supposed to be a Fire Javelin, but WTF is that monstrosity on the right?
>>
>>92638187
Looks like the rogue trader era dread to me
>>
>>92628977
This.

Inb4 some taufag starts to tism about worldwide plastic production or some dumb shit.

Also I could easily HEEM every t'a'u player in history. At once.
Delete this thread.
Take this shit to /v/.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.