[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1712315059436030.png (1.29 MB, 1500x1211)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB PNG
What is the appeal of dungeon crawling?
>>
>>92625950
Learning to dungeon crawl eventually leads you to dungeon running, then frim thetr dungeon mastering and lastly dungeon sodomizing.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogTDa-vG2MQ
Dungeons are excellent
>>
>>92625950
You get to crawl into a dungeon. It's a reward in itself.
>>
fightin'
scrappin'
whackin'
bruisin'
smackin'
lootin'
>>
>>92625950
It's an excuse to have all the interesting things in one place.
That's it. It's narrative as architecture.
>>
>>92625950
It is adventuring distilled.
>>
>>92625950
Because there's a lot of open ended strategy, but the moment to moment constraints make the immediate decision space clear.

Also a great didactic tool for GMing, because the adventure's conceptual space is 1:1 with its physical space.
>>
>>92626153
This. Literally anything could be over there in the dark! Fabulous riches or terrible doom, it's made for risk takers.
>>
>>92625950
treasure
>>
>>92625950
dungeon crawling
>>
>>92625950
raping monsters, looting gold and killing women... wait no i messed that up
>>
>>92625950
This is going to be different, depending on who you ask, but this is my take:
I find the base act of dungeon crawling on its own to be unappealing. The urns, the architecture, cobwebs, etchings, or whatever decorum is present doesn't engage me. Moving a figure and having a character analyze the scenery or probe for an item in isolation isn't enough for me.
However, what makes dungeon crawlers fun for me is the format of procedural generation, room by room, seeing what sorts of things will pop up in each room, and seeing how my hero and any of her allies will handle what comes their way. Is her combat skill going to be enough to get them through, or will she need the aid of her allies? Will the dice be in the alliance's favor, or in that of the enemy? Will abyssal entities spawn from a buildup of darkness in the dungeon, or will a piece of Shoggoth itself become alerted to the hero's presence?
Then, as rooms are dealt with and the map fills out, it starts to build a more complete picture, and then that dungeon may connect to another one, depending on what sort of structure on the overworld was entered. It could be a grotto, or a hollow, a barrow, or a ruin. The dungeon could even be a forest or archipelago!
I want the exploration to be evocative of the NES Legend of Zelda, where you just walk around and stumble on entrances. Of course, I'm working on having encroaching forces to prevent too much peregrination, but the sentiment is there.
It's autistic, but I have fun with this, and nobody else is going to have to suffer through it at their own table.
>>
>>92627173
raping monsters and women, looting gold and killing
>>
File: Loadsa money.jpg (60 KB, 599x616)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
Nothing beats good ol' fashioned murderhoboing.
>>
I like the thinking parts where there's a pit full of death orbs and you have to get across and there's not a premade solution the GM came up with so you actually have to brainulate.
Bisecting goblins and tallying gold and mapping are also fun.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.