[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1675070840951597.pdf (1.59 MB, PDF)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB PDF
Previous thread: >>92599036

GURPS is a modular, adaptable system, capable of running a wide range of characters, settings, and play styles, with a level of detail varying from lightweight to completely autistic.
Optional rules allow you to emulate different genres with a single system, or even switch genres within a single game.

A nearly complete archive of GURPS books can be found by those who pay attention to file extensions.
Never post direct links to the archive anywhere.

If you're wondering where to start:
The Basic Set covers everything, including a lot of optional rules you probably won't use.
A genre guide can be found in the archive, under Unofficial/GURPSgen. It tells you what extra books and articles you may find useful for many common genres.
How To Be a GURPS GM is a good read even for players.
GCS (gurpscharactersheet.com) is an excellent character-builder software, with page references to all the books and the option to export to both Foundry and Fantasy Grounds.

Thread Question: Have you played in any alternate history setting? If so, which one?
>>
>>92673802
That makes sense. So three-sided rails, a foregrip, a folding pistol stock and a muzzle weight. This gives:
>+1 to skill when firing at RoF 3+
>+2 to Retain Weapon when held two-handed
>-1 Bulk
>+1 Acc, further -1 Bulk when stock is extended
>uses Guns (Rifles) when held two-handed

All for $464 and 1.8lbs, and considering it's all technically built into the muzzle weight, it takes three seconds to attach, making it reasonably hot-swappable. Seems pretty worth it to me if you want a ghetto carbine on the cheap, especially if you use a Glock 18 that's been converted to 10mm as the base and stick a suppressor on it. That RoF 21 with a 31+1 round capacity will serve you well way up until it becomes Heavy Grav Needler Or Bust, especially considering 10mm can take HESH payloads at TL10+.
>>
Any tips for someone looking to GM his first GURPS game on Foundry (also first timer using a VTT)?
>>
>>92675551
Set hard limits for what your PCs can build, check all character sheets for exactly what they can do, and make sure the players know the relevant setting background. As for VTT stuff, I'm pretty sure Foundry has a GURPS module which should let you do sheets without using external programs, and it can definitely use hexes.
>>
thanks, are there some guidelines about eye-balling challenging enemies for the party?
>>
>>92675671
Honestly, no. It's GURPS' most prominent failing - my advice, start them out low, the equivalent of a few bandits with no armour and rusty shortswords, or a few dudes in alleyways with shivs, then slowly work up from there. If they're destroying fights, building up to more serious stuff will naturally feel like a threat progression. If they're having to run, they'll naturally progress towards less threatening situations.
>>
>>92675654
the foundry module still requires you to use GCS for most things (there is one that doesnt require it but its in extremely early development and would probably be hell to play a proper campaign with)
>>
>>92675866
How would you even do it?

You would have to have a separate point value assigned to every combat skill or advantage, add them up, and compare them to an enemy. Straight point buy value wouldn't work because certain setting dependent abilities seem more powerful than their point buy might imply. Plus there are so many optional rules that it lets the players and enemies get really creative.

DnD is easy to do CR encounters or whatever they call them because the classes are pretty much locked down.
>>
>>92675671
It's a Threat (Pyramid #3/77) has an admittedly crunchy way of handling this, since as >>92676749 correctly points out there are a lot of variables to consider. Another option is pic related, which is less detailed but easier to implement (awkward formatting aside).
>>
File: BalanceOneSheet.pdf (141 KB, PDF)
141 KB
141 KB PDF
>>92676846
Also here's his cheatsheet version.
>>
>>92675866
Not that anon but.
Do guns swing the challenge very far? I know they are quite lethal.
>>
>>92676846
Well this makes my own GURPS campaign a little more viable.
>>
>>92675671
Easiest way is considering the primary methods of attack and defense of enemies and then determining how likely they are to hit the PCs and how likely that hit is going to do significant damage/incapacitate then

It gets more complicated as you introduce more factors like high skill enemies being able to target hit locations for extra damage or exotic abilities like magic or psi

In the end though starting weak and going up from there is good advice- especially because both players and NPCs can punch significantly above their statistical odds if played intelligently
>>
>>92677138
Guns high damage turns combats into death tag with ballistic vests being able to save you (but shouldn’t be relied on to always do so)

Honestly though I think it’s the range and speed of guns, as in no multiple turns to draw an arrow, that makes them lethal. Swords can do comparable damage to handguns if you slash the neck or stab the vitals, and if you use the overpenetration rules from HT a piercing or impaling attack can’t deal more than HP basic damage anyways to the torso as long as it doesn’t hit the vitals
>>
>>92676846
>>92676851
mmmmh more gurps pdfs to save, these will really help
>>
>>92675551
Search around the web (and Discord) for people's suggestions on modules.
About Face for facing and Token Action HUD Classic are my suggestions. I wish there's a better one that takes into account facing etc for movement but Drag Ruler for movement points is good enough
>>
>>92675047
I played in a guy's homebrew setting where a massive black fogwall split the world in the ~1900s. Monsters awoke, people started developing magical powers, and god revealed himself anew.
I played a knight templar near the fogwall, keeping the frontier safe with silver swords and bullets.
Honestly it was a ton of fun, sadly the game fell apart after 3 or so session because one guy dropped, and both the gm and the other guy could only make it to any given session half the time because of sleep issues or some such.
>>
Weapons, advantages, and techniques. what else could i give to my players to raise their power level?
>>
>>92676846
There was that one page that had enemies be measured in Orcpowers based on their stats. Don't think it's functional anymore.
>>
I'm working on a character, a commando type, who will do everything he can to avoid innocent casualties/collateral damage. If it's unavoidable and the mission requires it, he'll do it, but only after exhausting any and all options.
Do you think Vow (Always try to avoid harming innocents) is right? Or should this be some kind of Pacifism? Also, how would you price it? I think it's fair to assume he'd have some penalties for a bit if he does harm innocents, kind of like Guilt Complex.
>>
>>92675415
>a Glock 18 that's been converted to 10mm as the base and stick a suppressor on it
Wouldn't it be much easier to take a 10mm Glock 20 and convert it to full-auto? Far cheaper and more available base gun, well-documented conversion process, all parts already built to take the pressure, no need to replace barrel, etc. Although considering the appalling performance of 10mm auto in GURPS (especially in full-auto due to hideous Rcl), probably still not worth it. Pistol stock / carbine conversion kit should probably reduce Rcl as well as ST, but the rules don't support that.
Also, suppressor on 10mm auto seems like you're working against yourself. Take a high-velocity cartridge, then drop it down to subsonic? You might as well just start with .45 ACP and be naturally subsonic. However, the rules in HT don't seem to penalise damage for reduced velocity pistol rounds, so I guess in rules terms it's fine.
>>
>>92680306
With a broad definition of 'power level', pretty much anything.
Concentrating purely on combat-power, you've still got a huge number of options:
>Equipment
You listed weapons, but there's also armour, camouflage, sensors, ammunition, load-bearing gear, etc.
>Attributes and Secondary Characteristics
All of them help in combat, although IQ and it's derivatives a bit less so.
>Situations and opportunities
An environment which is better suited to them, or something they can take advantage of can be a serious force-multiplier.
>Friends
Not everyone who can help you needs to be an Ally or otherwise represented by an advantage. There are all kinds of reasons you might find someone willing to fight for your side.
>Knowledge (or wisdom, ideas, mindset, and other intangibles)
Clever tactics are a hard-to-quantify but substantial part of overcoming challenges in any RPG, but GURPS especially rewards those who do their homework and think carefully about their actions.
>Impulse points
See Power-Ups 5.
>Money and character points
These can be used to acquire most of the above.
>>
>>92680914
This seems like a case of the Severely Limited Disadvantage quirk. 'Feels bad about murdering innocent people, but will do it if required to by the mission' is a pretty feeble moral restriction.
>>
>>92682025
I was wondering about a quirk, but it felt like being obligated to exhaust every option possible could be more than just a quirk, as that could potentially restrict behavior quite a bit.
>>
>>92682859
You are ordered to infiltrate an enemy compound and detonate the emergency fuel storage tanks to destroy it while also killing the high level staff inside tge building. The building also functions as office space for low level bureaucrats and innocent service/support personnel. It's implied in your orders that civilian casualties are acceptable.

If you take the disadvantage, your character should probably not complete the mission as ordered.
>>
>>92682859
Quirks can potentially restrict behaviour quite a bit. Just in the examples of easily controlled disadvantage you have wanting to kill people who have wounded you (Bloodlust), obeying all traffic laws (Honesty), compulsive theft of knives (Kleptomania), only purchasing the cheapest ammunition (Miserliness), severely over-estimating your odds when sniping (Overconfidence), refusing to fight a specific group at all (Pacifism), and always telling the truth to national leaders (Truthfulness). Any of those is potentially a very big deal, but have a low probability of coming up.
Generally, a commando isn't going to be murdering a lot of 'innocents' (assuming enemy combatants don't count). Their remit is very much carefully targeted violence, not indiscriminate destruction. If you need to blow something up without regard for collateral damage, chances are there will be someone else in the unit who can do that. In the worst-case scenario, you can still slaughter a bus-load of orphans or whatever, you just take some penalties after. Unless you're in the Red Army or something, being a soldier doesn't usually require you to be a fucking psychopath.
>>
>the genetic ancestor of 90% of all trpgs
>twenty billion files to read through
should've been born when this was the only game
>>
Is there somewhere that spells out a procedure for rolling that determines not *if* success is possible, but how long your eventual success takes? Say for some construction or software development task. Say, you can do it... eventually. But how much can you finish by your manager's bullshit deadline? I've been skimming Basic Set and I don't see anything like that, but it's possible I've overlooked it. Or maybe it's in another book.
>>
>>92685273
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of everything scattered across a ton of tiny PDFs. But you can always start with a Powered By GURPS or Basic Set + a genre book (I would recommend it) and start adding variants when more comfortable.
>>
>>92686107
Long Tasks, p B346.
>>
File: Dixie.png (276 KB, 1203x630)
276 KB
276 KB PNG
>alternate history

INDIA SUPERPOWER
>>
>>92686511
Thanks man. I thought I saw it somewhere.
>>
>>92687209
So many of these borders are awful, especially the USA
>>
P10 bump
>>
Is GURPS real?
>>
>>92690833
No, its a four decade old conspiracy theory.
(Of course it's reall.
>>
>>92690833
It's pretty well designed, too.
>>
File: 1666336076246009.jpg (60 KB, 750x730)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>92690833
Well fuck me
>>
>>92691869
Check out the OP. See if you like it. Start by grabbing Basic Set, a genre book (Monster Hunters maybe) and How to be a GURPS GM. Or if you're a dungeon crawling guy, start with Dungeon Fantasy RPG and then grab Basic Set and Fantasy.

Build a simple character and play a session. Its a good time.
>>
>>92691941 pt 2.
Forgot to say, Dungeon Fantasy RPG is a self-contained subset of GURPS. Basic Set is not needed for it. But Fantasy refers to it, and Basic Set and Fantasy have some stuff you might like to expand on DFRPG.
>>
p10
>>
>>92675047
Does the 'Pitiful' appearance modifier apply to characters considered 'cute'?
>>
>>92698588
Make sense to me i did it in the past when trying to stat aisaka taiga in gurps, don't ask why
>>
>>92698588
It literally says so in the description.
>>
The Sundance Kid can't shoot for shit if he has to stand still with his gun drawn, aiming at a target. He's going to miss.
However, if he's able to move, or crouch, or fast-draw his gun, then there's no finer shot.
How do you model this in GURPS?
>>
>>92699120
1. Cursed or Unlucky flavored around taking normal shots.

2. New disadvantage, maybe called Overthinker, that's Low Self-Image but reversed: You take a -3 to skill rolls but only in "safe" (or at least "adventurer safe") situations where you would normally not take a penalty. Given the chance to do something carefully, you second-guess yourself or psyche yourself out; only when you are "distracted" by some complication can you fully focus on the task at hand. May or may not be limited to shooting for Sundnace.

3. Buying the Guns skill with the limitation "Accessibility, Not when firing normally." Applying limitations to skills isn't normally kosher, so you'll need a flexible GM, or maybe you apply it to something like Gunslinger? That will remove the free +Acc when shooting normally.
>>
What supplement can help me with running a high point total game (Xianxia)?
>>
Psionic Damage like a "brain scream" is often cosmic toxic (DF Horrid Skull being one big example). Body of Water provides Immunity to Metabolic Hazards and No Brain (through diffuse), which makes you immune to toxic damage. Does the cosmic modifier get around ItMH, or just DR? Would it need a second cosmic modifier to get around immunity? Is this just up to the GM?
>>
>>92702047
Supers
>>
File: 1559241459569.jpg (39 KB, 272x355)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>92702055
Usually you need cosmic, +50% defence to beat (any) cosmic attack [Powers, 21]
Plus, if "brain scream" made as IA with malediction, you can't target hit locations at all without Selective Effect, +20% [Power-Ups4, 16]
But, you can target and hit face and skull hit locations of Diffuse targets, if they don't have IT (No Head), but that would have same effect as torso hits.
So, if that guy with Body of Water don't have IT (No Head) and Immunity to Metabolic Hazards (cosmic, +50%) he get hit to skull and damage by IA Toxic (cosmic, +50%), but all damage would be mitigated by IT (Diffuse) to 2 HP of injury.
>>
>>92702047
Your focus would be mostly supers and powers.

Someone a while back (some time since 2020, beyond that I don't recall) posted an alternate approach to building doing supers damage. I forgot what it was.

You could use the different damage scales to represent the major cultivation stages (where it's divided by 10 so you're dealing with smaller numbers), in addition to increasing damage throughout the steps.

What kind of Xianxia are you talking about? Something lower powered like the TV Adaptations or Once Upon a Time There Was a Spirit Sword Mountain? Or something higher powered like an Er Gen story, where by the end people are flying around in space and sucking the energy out of solar systems to fight eachother and reversing time and shit? Either way you're looking at Supers, but the more cosmic the power level the more likely you'll have a hard time running it in GURPS and you'll need to get creative.
>>
>>92702055
>which makes you immune to toxic damage
Only if it allows for a resistance roll. Resistant/Immunity doesn’t do jack against damage that affects you directly without a roll. Also it only affects threats that use HT rolls by default, so psionic attacks that are resisted with Will or IQ still sidestep the general ItMH that is included in many meta-traits.
>>
>>92703265
>>92703012
Thanks, makes sense.
>>
>>92700518
Nice answers. I like number 2 the best, with the limitation for Guns only. Although I'd also want to somehow tie it to Gunslinger and have it give a penalty equal to Acc instead of the bonus when he stands still.
>>
Does anyone else want to watch a 80s or 90s style cartoon of Infinite Worlds? Or am just insane?
>>
>>92702047
I would also limit where points go. Remember that powers doesn't guarantee fair pricing. It only tries to estimate fair pricing. There are some totally broken meme powers that can be pulled of for cheap, while some other powers end up way more expensive than they're worth.
>>
>>92704362
>Or am just insane?
This
For me it's Transhuman Space though
>>
>>92704362
That's just Mighty Max: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaA-dMLG-1E
>>
>>92675047
Anyone running any games recently? Might try to get into games from Discord.
>>
>>92699120
Seems like a quirk. It's a really specific limitation which is easily avoided.
>>
File: mask thunderhawk.jpg (43 KB, 512x384)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>92704362
Now I'm imagining someone recreating the MASK vehicles and their various special modes with GURPS Vehicles.
>1980s Camaro that has gullwing doors and transforms into a flying car
>1950s Chevrolet that somehow poops out a third axle when it jumps up on its suspension
>motorcycle that turns into a helicopter
>a sports car that has the Bond Lotus Esprit submarine mode
oh and
>annoying robot that turns into a scooter
>>
I want to add a modifier to Wild Talent that will add +1 per level to the roll to use the Wild Talent, modeled after Warp's modifier Reliable.
How would you price it? Is 5% per level (from Warp) too little?
>>
>>92707992
Yes - Powers, 109
>>
How would you stat a suicide bomber robot?
>>
File: ArabianCyberpunk.png (680 KB, 976x549)
680 KB
680 KB PNG
>>92708041
Fragile (Explosive, Unnatural) and/or Inntate Attack Crushing (Area Effect: +25%, Emanation: -20%, Explosion: +50%; Fragmentation: +15%/die; Uncontrollable: -30%; Unconscious Only: -20%; Trigger, Death (Rare, Dangerous): -60%) or just Fanatism (Extreme), Internal Payload and Teology (Middle-Eastern one)
>>
>>92708180
lmao thanks
>>
>>92708041
Basically just whatever form of robot is really cheap in your setting. In the modern day, that usually means commercial quadcopter drones intended for photography, high-end remote-control toys, or (increasingly common) custom-made weapons. The Phantom 4 Pro from GURPS High-Tech: Electricity and Electronics is just about good enough, but no longer state-of-the-art. Strap on the biggest piece of ordinance it can lift along with a crude trigger mechanism, and ram it into the target. Future technology will make them more capable, both in terms of target-seeking without external control and simply having better lifting capacity, as well as probably bringing the price down. Delivery robots (e.g. the robot mule in GURPS Ultra-Tech) seem likely to be a big thing soon, and should work well as kamikaze weapon systems.
>>
>>92706457
I wouldn't mind wathig one for transhuman space.

>>92704362
Early sliders is a little like that. But then it goes to shit around the time JRD leaves.
>>
>>92711471
>Delivery robots
Unfortunately hey're unlikely to cause Reign of Steel any time soon. First they're rolling along the pavement and then they're asking for help when they can't press the zebra crossing traffic light button. You can't start a proper robot rebellion if you have to ask meatbags for help.
>>
>>
File: Slaughterbots.jpg (155 KB, 983x1349)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>92711471
>Future technology will make them more capable, both in terms of target-seeking without external control and simply having better lifting capacity
Small, palm-sized autonomous drones using facial recognition and shaped explosives can be programmed to seek out and eliminate known individuals or classes of individuals (such as individuals wearing an enemy military uniform)
>>
What changed in the recent 10th printing of the core books?
>>
>>92686130
>Powered By GURPS
i know not
>>92686130
>Basic Set + a genre book
I downloaded the 2nd basic set and started reading it just to get an image and I feel that being a physicist is easier
>>
>>92718698
Changed the name of the Slave Mentality Disadvantage
>>
>>92719360
Powered by GURPS games are designed to be pick-up and run, rather than as a toolbox for assembling your own TTRPG (which is what Basic Set is set up for, which is what often makes it overwhelming to newbies, it's not so unlike handing the GM, Unreal Engine with the store and telling them "here you go, make the videogame you want" - but with the store being very conveniently full of plugins that are designed by Epic to work together, and with a lot of them shipping for free with the engine, it's not pick up and go, even if some of those plugins (the genre books) do a lot of the work for you).

A Powered By GURPS game, on the other hand, is a complete standalone prepackaged game system, that runs GURPS Mechanics. Some are for GURPS 3e, but GURPS 3e and GURPS 4e are very similar, and there are only a couple of changes you'd need to remember are different if you start with a 3e Powered By GURPS and later want to use GURPS 4e.

If you want to not deal with the wall of text that is Basic Set until you know how the game works, start with "The Hellboy Sourcebook and RPG" or "Dungeon Fantasy RPG Boxed Set" or "Discworld Roleplaying Game". They're set up like a normal RPG. 1 book, that only has what you would need and want. My first real intro to GURPS was the Dungeon Fantasy RPG Boxed Set. It made it more approachable.

Basic Set is essentially "The GURPS Core Mechanics Encyclopedia, most of what you would need to reference to run any kind of game about anything in any setting" - it doesn't quite get there, in that you likely would want some stuff from other books for different genres, but the denseness of the main GURPS books is because they're so comprehensive and aren't trying to cover a narrow topic. It's essentially designed for people who already know GURPS. I think that was a shit business decision, but it is what it is.

You should start with a Powered by GURPS game if you find the game-mechanic-toolbox-encyclopedia approach intimidating.
>>
Hey guys. What skills would you use for trying to selectively breed monsters in a fantasy game, and make better beasts of burden, or better combat pets, or better mounts? Bioengineering?
>>
>>92719561
Fake news
>>
>>92719608
Bio-Tech p. 10 and Low-Tech Companion 3 p. 4 briefly discuss selective breeding, but do not suggest any skills.
Maybe Herdsman or Professional Skill (Breeder) would suffice.
>>
>>92720316
>Herdsman
Whoops, that's a job, not a skill.
>>
>>92720316
>>92720324
Thanks Anon.

Followup question. Has anyone made a fun event of Games or Sports or Combat Sports, or do you guys just handle them quickly and move on?
>>
>>92719360
>I downloaded the 2nd basic set and started reading it just to get an image and I feel that being a physicist is easier
Yeah unfortunately GURPS is made by turbo-autists for an audience of a mix of mostly turbo-autists and regular autists, and it shows. GURPS books are a slog to get through.
>>
File: sIHWCvN.png (197 KB, 469x444)
197 KB
197 KB PNG
>>92721071
>made by turbo-autists for an audience of a mix of mostly turbo-autists and regular autists

God Bless for that, and we hope it stay like that forever.
>>
>>92720259
nta but they did change the name for the Girl Genius book
>>
>>92721215
Honestly "Hive Mentality" is much more accurate for what the disadvantage actually represents anyway. I don't think even the most broken slave would run the risk of starving to death if left alone for a week in a house stocked with food but not explicitly told when and what to eat. It's a disadvantage for things like robots and, yeah, hive-mind creatures.
>>
File: Rad Gator.jpg (162 KB, 970x896)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>92721275
Any feedback on my monstrous gator?

There are also juvenile and alpha gator versions, but is this too extreme for the basic monster gator?

This is supposed to be the most dangerous animal in florida.
>>
>>92722830
Not crunching any numbers, but I feel like his bite should be stronger. His DR is pretty strong, but players can manage if they have guns. Why is his Will so high, and why lower FP?
>>
>>92723191
Will: too retarded to run away most of the time
FP: real gators cant charge on land very long, the only thing I am using FP for is if hes tired charging on land

I forgot to write it down, but his bite auto-grapples after a success and he can attack with claws or tail while maintaining a bite.
>>
>>92723191
Also those are armor divisors in (X) so it might be more powerful than you think.
>>
File: gurps 4ema.jpg (239 KB, 1247x746)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>92721071
That's the price you have to pay so you can be a crime-fighting luchador.
>>
>>92727430
A crime fighting luchador, a talking owl, a wuxia martial artist, a French chevalier, a 1980s detective, and a 16th century Catholic priest exorcist. Few games can handle all of these things at all, let alone this well.
>>
with the talent trait is the point to slightly improve a group of skills you have, so if your talent improves a skill you don't have that does nothing or does it lessen the default skill penality by whatever the talent trait level is?
>>
>>92728556
Talents don’t care if you’re trained in a skill or not, it’s +1/level. The only time they don’t apply is if the skill doesn’t allow a default in the first place, like with Herb Lore, Computer Hacking, or Power Blow.
>>
>>92719608
Selective breeding without an actual understanding of genetics is going to be pretty difficult, but obviously possible based on the historical record. I don't think you need Bioengineering, but you will want Biology (Genetics), possibly defaulting it from Naturalist. I think that name is still appropriate for the study of heredity before the theory of genes, but you may want to call it something like Biology (Breeding) or (Heredity) instead. This is going to be very unreliable until late TL 4 / early TL 5, so you may have to buy High TL (Biology only) or something.
>>
Would having Breakable but *not* Can Be Stolen be a way to represent a certain power being tied to a body part that could be crippled? I normally wouldn’t bother pricing out monster abilities like this but I’m pretty sure the shapeshifter will want to try out the not!Kirin template that uses its horn to call down lighting.
>>
Anyone can give me an example of a "late game" character build for a fantasy game? A simple knight would do.
>>
>>92728802
thanks, that makes sense
>>
File: file.png (354 KB, 669x533)
354 KB
354 KB PNG
>>92686130
It's the motherfucking formatting that kills me.
>Here is an NPC, statted out for your convenience
>He has a skill in Brawling
>It an Easy skill, it is based of his DX, he trained it up to DX+1, spent 2 point on it, so his skill is 13
>Now here are all his 25 skills, all in a single block
>Now aren't you glad you bought this supplement?

Would it fucking kill them to just tell me this guy can Punch at 13, and give it to me in a way that I can find it among his entire career?
>>
File: .png (47 KB, 802x847)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>92730414
>he hasn't converted all his favorite templates to HTML
baka desu sempai
>>
>>92730436
>converted all his favorite templates to HTML
english motherfucker, do you speak it?
I'm a "can't talk to people" autist, not a "memorizes all mathematic formulas" autist
>>
File: kat.jpg (218 KB, 1024x1020)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>92730414
If it shows all skills he has then it is statted to my convenience.
>>
Agreed, GURPS formatting is atrocious. I found this post a while back which seemed like a much better way of doing things:
https://www.gamesdiner.com/2020/10/a-modest-proposal-easier-character-stat-blocks-in-gurps/
Unfortunately I don't think we're ever going to get it, but hey, I can dream.
>>
File: cb2.png (157 KB, 800x600)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
>>92721275
If we are going to the avoid misinterpretation route, then Trained by a Master should be renamed to "Fighting Master" since it is easier to understand what it is for.
>>
>>92730414
>>92731029
>>
File: IMG_1169.jpg (99 KB, 437x279)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>92730414
That format only makes sense if your priority is combat stats. That’s why you see it in DF statlines (pic related). But GURPS is more than that and I appreciate them not making combat the sole pillar of every NPC writeup.
>>
>>92730485
Skill issue
>>
>>92731978
Is Gurpsing a IQ/VH without default?
>>
>>92729092
The theory behind genetic inheritance is definitely something that could be discovered at a lower TL, even if the biological mechanisms aren't. Mendel's experiments with peas could easily have been done in ancient greece or medieval Europe.
>>
>>92732002
default DND-6 or TTRPG-4
>>
>>92731029
Its a little better, but IMO just give me a column. With one thing per line. Not that well ever get it. But this wall of mechanics is garbage for referencing.
>>
>>92732136
*d&d
>>
File: 17369 - SoyBooru.png (138 KB, 875x600)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
>>92732183
>*d&d
>>
File: phb3e.png (1.6 MB, 846x1122)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB PNG
>>92732835
I'm enough of an autist to like GURPS. Of course I'm going to correct you when you write like a retarded tidepod-eating zoomer 5ekiddie. But, yes—I do also like D&D. Specifically, 2e and 3.0. Forgotten Realms is just more interesting to me than Banestorm. What of it? I also like Rolemaster; Stormbringer; The Dark Eye; and Mythras. Meanwhile: HERO; Hârnmaster; and Ars Magica, all look interesting and are on my bucket list.

Did you think people never like multiple game systems?
>>
>>92733059
>Did you think people never like multiple game systems?
One man cannot serve two masters.
>>
>>92733059
i simply do not respect DND
>>
>>92733261
>serve two masters
I like crunchy games, but don't do slavish brand loyalty. That pointless tribalism is for Non-Autists. GURPS is good at a lot, but kindof sucks for magic items IMO, and sometimes I want the AD&D magic, and GURPS has nothing that compares to the in-depth fleshed out setting of the Forgotten Realms. If SJG ever gets a License for GURPS-TSR-Era-Forgotten-Realms, I'd be all over that (Implausible).

3e's Mongoose Book of Strongholds & Dynasties, is basically what Realm Management should have been. Or maybe HARNManor. Even Pathfinder Ultimate Campaign is better than Realm Management. (Fuck Realm Management). Stormbringer has the Elric setting (that's about it, but I don't really want to convert it all to use in GURPS). The Dark Eye has Aventuria, and reasonably indepth mechanics (I hear the German-only versions were better though). Mythras, is *fine*, and has a bunch of quite nice compatible d100 history and alt-history setting books, but really I would rather use those with GURPS low-tech. HERO looks better for high power levels but I haven't tried it to see yet. Rolemaster is comfy fantasy-novel adventuring with a reasonable amount of crunch, a fun simple magic system, and Arms Law makes for some fun combat. Ars Magica has all that mage-guild-managementy stuff going on and a very detailed medieval setting. They all have something I like that GURPS doesn't have, (or that it does badly).

GURPS is not perfect for *all* campaign premises, especially if you want a specific fleshed-out setting that would require a bunch of custom-tailored mechanics to pull off well. And it's lacking a decent kingdom management supplement because Christopher Rice wrote a crappy one and somehow they decided it was publishable. Can it do a fantasy thing for *some* settings, if you don't need realm management? Sure. I'd probably use it for a Witcher game for instance. Generic SciFi, Modern, Historical? Yes. Wuxia? Maybe. Xianxia? Probably not. Supers? Probably not.
>>
>>92730414
Don't you know, anon, PDF paper is extremely expensive, we cannot afford waste any space.
At least in DFRPG they made templates more readable... and completely forget about it in every other supplement that came after.
>>
File: zoomspeak.png (45 KB, 939x898)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>92733360
And I do not respect people who employ the dumbed-down vocabulary coined by or popularized by the zoomzooms. The English language has enough issues without it being dumbed down by 'people' terrified of ampersands, grammar, and etymological spellings (if you really want to use phonetic spelling, dump the Latin alphabet and switch to Shavian or something similarly designed for English phonetic spelling, and I won't fight you on it).
>>
>>92730414
Yep. That layout is not at all designed for ease of use. It's a blob of shit.
>>
>>92733647
DND lol
>>
>>92733647
Holy fucking contrarian batman. It's dnd because no cares to spend half a second to reach & key for shit they don't care about.
>>
>>92733692
It's "DND" post-2018 because the same kinds of retards who think it's cool to name their kids Jream and Sevyn and Cashton are too lazy and stupid to type an ampersand.

>>92733674
Lazy and stupid.
>>
>>92733261
>You can't like Minecraft and DOOM.
What if, like mentioned in >>92733563, a game system is bad at / doesn't support something? You can't use a different game system that can handle it, you just have to do without? Why?
It's not my fault Realm Management sucks. I didn't write it.
>>
>>92733874
So how would you support Minecraft into Gurps?
>>
>>92733939
Heh. It was an analogy, pointing out that if people can enjoy more than one videogame, people can also enjoy more than one TTRPG system.

But GURPS Minecraft is an interesting notion. I think it would work better modding GURPS mechanics into Minecraft rather than making a GURPS writeup to try to simulate Minecraft gameplay. I don't think stacking 1m cubes into designs would be so satisfying without any visuals. The exploration portion could work though, I suppose. You could reverse engineer the Minecraft world building code into a world builder for a GURPS wilderness survival game, and then stat up the Minecraft enemies, and stat up the materials. But the 'tactile'
lego-esque fun of building stuff in Minecraft would be far less satisfying in GURPS.
>>
>>92733997
It can be a workable setup for wilderness survival. Slowdown the build process, make food scarce, and now building a dirt tower to survey the land is an actual trade off. At the same time being able to just dig your way out of cave is a convenient safety net for when things go south.
Basically model it after the way new players play it, rather than de facto sandbox that every experienced player does after 5 minutes of initial setup.
>>
>>92733997
Then perhaps Ark or Palworld would be a better fit then since they don't rely on the block gameplay. But using the Minecraft world gen would work brilliantly for any of those.
>>
>>92733647
I didn't know that using & instead of And is a grammatical rule in certain contexts like abbreviations, e.g D&D, interesting.

That said, you're making too much of a fuss. I think you should be worrying about the employment of retarded buzzwords and shortened words like "for real".
>>
>>92733874
Yeah but I fucking hate having to read 40000 pages of mechanics over and over again. It's nice to have a system that can truly do everything. But until that warranted mechanic has shit supplements, there's not much you can do I guess.
Speaking of which, what genericish system would you guys recommend if I wanted to suddenly change a running sci fi GURPS game into a alien city management game.
>>
Uh-oh, the dnd tranny brainrot eggplant internet defense force is riled up
>>
>>92734211
>"fr fr fr"
It's in the same bin of "people who write like retards".

>>92734239
Sure. The duplicated sections can often be redundant, and it's annoying when you think "this is just a worse version of that mechanic in this other game", and there's a lot of that.

>can truly do everything.
More than most, better than most, but as mentioned, there are some things it's not very good at, or if you need something specific for a setting and your choices are to build / convert everything yourself, or use a published system for that setting that you don't think is crap - maybe you do, but I don't want to have to rebuild hundreds of pages of (whatever you need to do the setting to your satisfaction).

>SciFi alien city management.
That's tough. The ones I've come across are all low-tech / fantasy. Spaceships is a decent starting point for construction projects. And then maybe boardroom and curia for the politics and resource management? But I'm pulling this out of my ass. I only vaguely remember what's in boardroom and curia exactly. I built some big ships a few years back as an exercise with spaceships though. You can do most of your alien cities with that. The formulas scale up and down nicely. Some blogs from 2014-2018 talked about expanding spaceships to bigger and smaller sizes and had some unusual builds. I vaguely remember finding an error in farms where your employees needed and area scale very strangely, and the farmland each employee can handle gets smaller the bigger your farm is.
>>
>>92734247
>the dnd tranny brainrot eggplant internet defense force
>everyone is a tranny / obsession with trannies
Spend less time on whatever tranny porn sites you frequent or keep your gay shit to yourself. Christ. Fucking degenerate.

>eggplant internet defense force
"GURPS is not a suitable substitute for what I good D&D (or many other settings / systems)" is literally the opposite of Eggplant's thing. Maybe someday his giant obsessive project will be an okay D&D substitute, but it wasnt last time I checked.
>>
>>92734346
What is good D&D*
>>
>>92734346
nive mental gymnastics
cope
>>
I'm trying to wrap my head around parachronics. Is it time travel? Is it not, if not then what's with the alternate time lines?
>>
>>92733647
>quirk: odious personal habit (grammar nazi)
>>
>>92734346
ladyboygold needs more frequent updates
>>
>>92735122
Worldlines first off. Its not time travel. Its cross dimensional travel. To worldlines where earth is younger, or older. All the time travel terminology is factually incorrect, and is used colloquially.
>>
>>92735140
Thanks, that does seem a bit more clear. I can definitely work with that.
>>
Anyone know what's going on with the sidebar text in the Alpha Centauri supplement?
Does it need an errata?
>>
>>92733563
>>92733874
It was a joke, my dear autistic friends, about the culture of slavish brand loyalty. Games (and products in general) are not masters that we must be subservient to, despite the strange consumption-tribal identities we see today.
>>
>>92735160
Just incredibly lazy OCR conversion by the looks of it, no idea if there was a better version.
>>
>>92735272
Oh bummer, running it through caliber didn't even fix it.
I'll have to look for other copies
>>
>>92733939
I've thought about this, not specifically for GURPS though. The problem is that even if you solve for the base-construction aspect (which I have only seen done well in a third-party supplement for 3.5), Minecraft is also fundamentally about resource collection rather than personal power, which flies in the face of basically all RPGs.
>>
>>92734545
>things not meaning their opposites is mental gymnastics.
A perfect example of why retarded zoomerisms and the people who use them should not be respected.

>Cope
With what, your tranny fetish?
>>
>>92735129
Yeah, you're not wrong. Or perhaps quirk-level intolerance (rotting English).
>>
File: D-t55BuU0AEg1xU.jpg (984 KB, 2048x2048)
984 KB
984 KB JPG
>>92675047
Was there ever any updates on the Runal materials?
>>
>>92735168
Enough people really do treat the brands they like as their identity. I thought I was encountering one for GURPS. This kind of humour is harder to see in text.
>>
>>92736114
Resource collection, l (incl agriculture), and building stuff. I think maybe you could do resource collection in GURPS, if not the building stuff.
>>
>>92736139
Not an argument
Take the L
>>
>>92736318
>Pointing out my entire premise was retarded and that I completely and utterly failed to support it is not an argument. Take the L
No. I don't think I will. What's not been an argument is this line of discussion. The whole discussion has been you making retarded non sequiturs as though they were arguments has been and me pointing them out. I've heard more intelligent discussion from my cat.
>>
Where do you even find a GURPS game? I've tried running a game for my regular group and only one person bothered to make a character, even after I offered to help or make them for the others. I'd love to actually play GURPS, but I only ever see Historical War Autists running games of historical war autism with it. Which just isn't my thing.
>>
>>92736872
you have to play with people that dont have DND brainrot and above boiling point(metric) IQs
>>
>>92736872
In my lgs i simply posted an ad about non-fantasy games and got dogpiled with applications (to the point i had to split them in 2 groups). Just be succinct about the theme ("it's a wild west game" or "it's a pirates of the caribbeans game"), don't specify the rulesystem, make some templates, keep things simple, like explaining the bare minimum basics (how rolls work, using a simple sheet of paper with only the core elements in it instead of the character sheet), telescope in-out during game for introducing rules (if you need to), and you're golden.
>>
>>92736872
I can't see most people wanting to read through the dictionary that is GURPS to make a character. Like I said earlier, GURPS is written by turbo-autists for turbo-autists, and the rest of us find it painful to deal with.
Make premade characters for a one-shot, or use a pre-made one-shot campaign, and emphasize the simple 3d6-roll-under mechanic.
>>
>>92736872
What do you like that isn't war autism? There's a GURPS thing I've always wanted to run about Soviet psychics, which is kind of historical but not really.
>>
>>92736942
>I can't see most people wanting to read through the dictionary that is GURPS to make a character
That's why templates exist, newbloods aren't supposed to make their character from scratch browsing the books unless they're extremely driven about. Even using only the 3 ones inside the basic set you can come up with at least 9 crossovered characters archetypes by simply juggling with the templates options.
>>
>>92736872
Reddit
>>
>>92736979
You still need to understand how the game works though. Quite frankly, GURPS is not a good value proposition for most people. It is not approachable.
>>
>>92737020
>You still need to understand how the game works though.
To do stuff roll 3d6 under the tn, successive effects are rolled with variable number of dice. Boom, done. Other minutiae can be introduced as you go.

>Quite frankly, GURPS is not a good value proposition for most people. It is not approachable.
Then how the fuck i managed to introduce a group of 6 youngsters with no experience in gurps without a single hiccup?
>>
>>92737048
>To do stuff roll 3d6 under the tn, successive effects are rolled with variable number of dice. Boom, done
You aren't playing GURPS. You are playing roll and shout homebrew that just happens to share basic dice roll mechanic with GURPS.
>>
File: 1334521333736.jpg (79 KB, 400x397)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>92737020
I started playing GURPS when I was 12, most of the stuff me and my friends didn't knew we figured out as we played it. Just sit your ass and play it.
>>
>>92737048
I agree that there's a way to play GURPS that doesn't interact with any of the complexity, but if you plop a Basic Set down in front of someone they will nope out of it as quickly as possible.

Children are actually easier because they have a limitless amount of time, and don't understand value propositions. But more than likely, you handled all of the complex parts of it for them.
>>
File: 1413670386356.png (138 KB, 263x323)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
>>92737064
Nigga, that IS GURPS. It's a simple game that you add complex as you seem fit.
>>
>>92737081
Yes, and?
I'm not saying this as a naysayer, I've played GURPS and want to play more. I'm explaining to you autists (one of the reasons) why your game doesn't get played by normies.
>>
>>92737064
You're baiting, that describes how the engine works and that's exactly the amount of information needed to play gurps regardless of the level of detail you use for a specific game.
>>
>>92737092
You are either incredibly retarded, or just a troll. Any system can be ignored in its entirety and reduced to "just roll dice under/over/count hits". I wouldn't be in this thread if I wanted to play this.
>>
File: 1517097408318.gif (1.19 MB, 540x540)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB GIF
>>92737094
And I am saying people just need to sit and play instead of complain about being too hard when 12 years old me just did the same.
>>
>>92737084
>But more than likely, you handled all of the complex parts of it for them.
Yes, by gradually introducing them through interpretation of their request in gameplay. After 4 of sessions involving combat they were able to independently use the basic combat options.
>>
>>92737119
Say what you want, just don't complain at me when people don't.
>>
>>92737117
Yes, but GURPS has the privilege of having easier to attach and detach rules so you can tune your ideal game. That's what most people come here for to decide which one to use and how to work on them for their games.
>>
>>92737129
Those are not the complex parts, anon. Combat options are pretty simple.
>>
>>92737149
We're talking about complete novices anon
>>
File: 156156465156.jpg (161 KB, 1440x754)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>92737140
I have faith there still smart people out there.
>>
>>92737180
It's not smart versus dumb that I'm referring to, it's "how much bullcrap do I want to wade through to get a game that isn't substantially better than [other game] or an experience that isn't substantially better than [other hobby]".
>>
>>92675047
I'm planning new campaign and want to base some setting stuff on Gourmet Alchemy...
So is there any recomendations how make Gourmet Alchemy gurps$-based?
Would be Inventions from MH7 good for that?
>>
File: 1655622675896.jpg (460 KB, 715x715)
460 KB
460 KB JPG
>>92737227
If you want to play GURPS you already want to build your own version of [other game] because you don't find [other game] substantially better.
>>
>>92737294
...Which is why most people don't play GURPS, yes.
>>
>>92737326
Most people who wouldn't play GURPS anyway, so yes, it is good that they stay way so GURPS can still be GURPS.
>>
>>92737180
I don't know man. Just 10 years ago I had a bunch of people willing to try and learn new systems no matter how terrible and obtuse they were, just because the setting/premise was interesting. And now anything beyond this >>92737048 is met with "maffs is hard hurr durr". Maybe I'm just in the wrong circles these days.
>>
>>92736942
I gave them the DFRPG and DTG templates if they wanted to keep it simple, and I offered to make the characters for them if they just wanted to hit me with the character concept. I told them explicitly that they didn't have to read the rules if they didn't want to, just a quick cheat-sheet and I'd teach them the rest in-game.
>>92736969
I like pretty much everything that isn't historical/alt-history war autism. Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Scifi, Cyberpunk, Supers, Horror, Mech, Modern+, etc.
>>
>>92736994
Oddly enough I found my based group on reddit and a slightly less based group from this general.
Your mileage may vary.
>>
>>92737149
What are the complex parts, if not combat?
>>
>>92737020
>It is not approachable
I started roleplaying with the Avalon Hill blue box Runequest when I was 13, GURPS followed at age 14. GURPS is a piece of cake after figuring out that (and my favourite games after decades of playing are STILL those two).
>>
>>92737342
Sure, but if that's your position, you don't get to complain when you try to introduce it to your players and they aren't interested in it.

>>92737556
Reading the books in the first place
Deciding which rules to use, if you're the GM
The more complex combat rules that most people skip
Creating complex abilities via advantages
Selecting reasonable skills and advantages for your character given an insufficiently informative prompt of a campaign (and they are all insufficiently informative)
Understanding the tradeoffs between advantages and skills
Conceptualizing the idea of the bell-curve roll and how changes to a skill impact your success rates so that you can meaningfully interact with the game system

Likely others too, this is not an exhaustive list and I haven't played in a while.
>>
>>92737677
If they aren't interested in GURPS how it is they will never be interested in any form. No need to change what already works to please people who would abandon it anyway.
>>
>>92737227
Most games *are* substantially worse than GURPS though, if you at all like game where the mechanics give reasonably detailed sensible results (even if GURPS does have competition for some specific things).

>>92737439
People who played nothing but 5e (while ignoring most of the game mechanics) for the past decade are common now, compared to people who played WoD and 3.x and 4e with all the mechanics, who were more numerous a decade ago.

>>92737677
Good list. I'd add "remembering where to look when you want to find something later". Most of the game is pretty well designed, but the organization and presentation is bad, mostly due to the scattered and bite-sized release schedule of stuff four side the first couple books.
>>
>>92737763
:shrug:
Enjoy your games or lack thereof, then.

>>92737836
That depends on your goals for sensible results. I can get just or almost as good of a result in 90+% of cases by homebrewing up a relatively rules-light game, with maybe 1/10th of the time spent. GURPS is only really appealing to people who like the mechanics for their own sake, or like specific ideas from GURPS products.

But agreed that GURPS would be a lot more palatable if it were organized and presented better.
>>
>>92737909
I will enjoy them indeed, that you can be sure.
>>
>>92737909
>almost as good
>homebrewing
>relatively rules-light.
While I like other games, none of them are rules light. I think "almost as good" without GURPS, still requires a different set of at least 300 page of mechanics. Designing a 300+ page TTRPG is more work than cherry picking GURPS pieces. But sometimes less work than the rare time what I want lines up with an existing game I would consider good. But, I do admit, I have picky tastes, have tried a few dozen different TTRPG systems over the past few decades, and liked *maybe* 8 or 9 enough that I would play / run them again.

But yes, I would not introduce a prospective GM who had never played GURPS, to GURPS with "go read basic set", or ask a new player to read basic set to build their first character. Ease them into the complexity rather than just dumping it on them before they even know if they'll like the gameplay.
>>
>>92738182
Like I said: GURPS is only really appealing to people who like the mechanics for their own sake, or like specific ideas from GURPS products. You appear to be in the former category.
>>
>>92738340
Yes, GURPS appeal it's the mechanics to build your own stuff.
>>
>>92738340
> GURPS is only really appealing to people who like the mechanics for their own sake, or like specific ideas from GURPS products.
As opposed to what? "I like this because whenever we play it I hate the gameplay and wish I had stayed home to read a novel"?
>>
>>92737909
Nigga, people only play generic systems because of mechanics, GURPS just happen to be the most competent one since it allows you to strip it down and buff it up as much as you want and has enough rules to please any crowd.
>>
>>92738370
GURPS tries to sell itself as a "generic universal" blah blah blah that can run any setting and game concept, in contrast to a game like D&D which is bound to the fantasy/dungeon narrative. I'm saying that I could throw together something in about 5 minutes that does whatever weird setting/game about as well, unless the part about GURPS that you enjoy is the character-building side game or the complex mechanics. If your goal is to play a game, GURPS doesn't do anything special for you. GURPS is a better sell for people who like poking numbers with sticks. aka autists.
>>
Do we have something for ready-made medieval soldiers?
>>
>>92738485
Yes, people like GURPS for it's mechanics which are "complex" according to you and whatever retard you base for an audience. I enjoy playing it and it does special for me and for my friends, it seem like you are an schizo who thinks "just because I can't do, no one can't".

>>92738534
Dungeon Fantasy 15 has template for a Guard which is basically a footsoldier.
>>
>>92738580
Thank you.
>>
>>92738580
I can certainly do it, I'm here for a reason. I'm just explaining to you autists why no one plays your game, since y'all don't seem to understand it. Even after I explain it, apparently, since it's not ability I'm talking about but desire.
>>
File: 1710027113426596.png (327 KB, 960x891)
327 KB
327 KB PNG
>>92738615
Like I said before, the people who search for mechanics and flexibility are the ones who search GURPS and the people you seem to want to please wouldn't want to play in any form unless GURPS stopped being GURPS.
>>
>>92738640
Maybe, maybe not. I'm certainly not trying to "please" anyone. But if you're convinced of your statement, don't complain about not being able to convince people to play.
>>
>>92738886
Not him but, as far as my experience goes, you don't have to sell the rulesystem, you just need to sell the game, and that's especially relevant for generic systems that don't exist as standalone "games" but just as toolboxes for the gm to make his game.
>>
>>92738485
Anything thrown together in 5 minutes will by definition be handwaivey fiat slop. Its not enough time to make anything good. I want to play / run a *game*, not listen to / run GM's fiat storytime. When I just want a novel, I read a novel.
>>
>>92738615
5e critical role style storytelling is not a game. Its just a social passtime. I'm under no confusion why the people who don't like games don't want a game makers toolkit. Even for people who like games, I agree GURPS is not formatted to be convenient to teach people how to play, even if its mechanics are (mostly) better designed.
>>
>>92738942
The rule system only matters if your group is people looking to actually play a *game* rather than freeform RP dice fudge GM fiat whatever.
>>
>>92738942
>>92739153 pt2
But that said, I do agree that the campaign is a bigger factor than the gameplay. People will try a new system if the campaign pitch sounds interesting and you make the onboarding simple.

If you want people for a GURPS game follow the onboarding advice The Mook Wilson wrote on his blog before he died, and have an interesting campaign pitch.
>>
How would you stat a bullet that splits into more bullets after a certain distance? What about the hit chances for those extra projectiles once it split?
>>
>>92738340
>Like I said: GURPS is only really appealing to people who like the mechanics for their own sake, or like specific ideas from GURPS products
I'm neither of those. The appeal of GURPS for me is that I can build system mastery with a single system that can play and run a wide variety of games.
>>
>>92740613
Out of curiosity (and NTA), but what makes you prefer GURPS to something like Savage Worlds, Genesis, or BRP?
>>
>>92740950
When I was dipping my toes in the water to find a generic system to learn, I came under the impression that GURPS was the most robust system with the best materials, though it required more effort to learn.
Also, a major factor was I resonated with the group that I tried GURPS with
>>
File: 1516108104773.jpg (58 KB, 589x669)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>92740950
nta but I went for the combat rules and only started to venture in creating stuff when I got a bit more used to it and liked the vast plethora of rules and how everything works in some sort of "language" so I can understand why something cost that and how to work around it to change it. I know HERO exists and may even be more in depth than GURPS, but I didn't like the combat, which is what most of my games are about.
>>
based anon pointing out why GURPs is dead
>>
>>92741054
gurps is alive and growing
i personally run a gurps game with 7 players who have never played it before and they all easily got into it and enjoy the system
>>
>>92741417
Are these 7 players who had no problem with reading thousands of pages of dry rules without wanting to kill themselves in the room right now?
>>
>>92741520
i just gave them a quick rundown of the core rules, gave them the books i was using in PDF form and just introduced mechanics as the game went. the game has been running smoothly for 8 sessions so far
>>
File: 1715050248568043.webm (3.17 MB, 480x856)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB WEBM
>>92741520
>GURPS SUCKS IF YOU INTRODUCE PEOPLE TO IT IN THE MOST RETARDED, ASS-BACKWARDS WAY POSSIBLE!
>ok, but I don't do that
>I DON'T BELIEVE YOU
>>
>>92741551
I'm not that anon, you retard. I know that it may be hard to believe but there are multiple people who hate generic slop systems like GURPs. I just think that GURPs sucks regardless of how you introduce people to it, and that people who claim to play it are simply contrarians who crave attention just for the fact that they are "too cool to play D&D"
>>
>>92742309
And those of us who like both?
>>
>>92742309
what do you like?
>>
>>92742309
>I'm not that anon, you retard
>I just happen to share the exact opinion you derided
yea, ok
>I just think that GURPs sucks regardless
good for you
>>
File: dumb cat.png (17 KB, 271x269)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>92742309
Just like there are multiple people who like it. Just because someone else plays something different doesn't mean they are contrarians.
>>
>>92742341
I like D&D, an actual playable game that wasn't abandoned by its creators
>>
>>92742548
oh lol
>>
File: cover_lg.jpg (173 KB, 500x649)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>92742548
>GURPS
>abandoned

Last splat came out 2 weeks ago.
>>
>>92742548
>GURPS
>Abandoned
just because GURPS didn't get ruined with a nu edition(like DND) doesn't mean its abandoned
>>
>>92740979
That's probably accurate. Savage Worlds only really supports one playstyle, but has a ton of settings. Genesis has a lot less support but some people like the funny dice. I was curious because it seems most people assume newer = better, though I often don't think that holds true, especially for TTRPGs. BRP has a lot of historical settings but I don't think it's anything terribly special mechanically. If you want a management subsystem that's pretty disconnected from the rest of the game though, that isnt realm management runequest empires, and runequest guilds, factions & cults are a thing. Mostly though I would say grab the historical based setting books and convert the typically simple mechanical bits you might need to GURPS and use with low-tech.

>>92741023
Totally fair. HERO combat I think is a better fit for capeshit, but I rarely want to run capeshit. For me what drew me in was GURPS powers after I bounced off an M&M campaign because I hated the long and frequent and boring combat, and I had been wanting an RPG that could handle weird shit for years, which required a powers system. I tried several options before GURPS. I didn't like OVA or BESM d20 or BESM 3e either.
>>
>>92742548
>Abandoned
What are you on about? See other comments about recent releases.

Also there comes a point where you have enough books, and few new supplements (or system book in general) are things you still want, simply because you have what you want already. Occasionally they make something new I want these days, but not every year. Eventually it's essentially a complete set and you just want the books you have to stay available for when a player wants them.
>>
>>92742576
What are people's thoughts on Atlantropa?
I usually get my almonds activated by Infinite Worlds splats, but this one didn't really do it for me. Maybe I'm just too smoothbrained.
>>
>>92742548
>you've been playing a TTRPG you like for a decade. (Say 5e).
>you have all the books for it so far that interest you, and even a big collection of homebrew.
How long before you no longer feel a need for every new book?
How long before a new edition of the same game probably doesn't matter to you either?
>>
>>92742760
i think worlds of atomic horror was alot more interesting desu, atlantropa seems more like a side piece to a alt history and really isn't justifiable as the main attraction
>>
>>92742813
Ah, the usual dead game cope. Couldn't you come up with something new already?
>>
>>92743016
*insert image of fish staring at hook*
>>
>>92742760
I thought it was pretty cool, though the absence of a map is a bit weird.
>>
>>92736178
You mean scans of additional volumes to the ones that are already around?
>>
>>92744383
Pretty sure he is talking about translated scans.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.