[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: F_Zg9rfbEAAhaY2.jpg (109 KB, 750x750)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
Will you be playing it?
>>
>>92694068
no
buy an ad
>>
Astroturfing trying to get /tg/ to hate a game before a playtest is even available.
>>
File: fft.jpg (2.36 MB, 3000x4000)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
>>92694068
Am I the only one who is sick of this type of fantasy art? I'm not even an "gritty OSR-art is the only true fantasy art" guy but I am so sick and tired of these post-WoW fantasy design trends. Let's do something different in western fantasy for once.
>>
>>92694153
>he says while posting generic animeslop
>>
>>92694068
not with that fucking retarded name
(real person) dungeon master is such a fucking awful name, it's hard to believe they're going through with it
>>
>>92694186
They aren't it's just a placeholder name until Matt's further along with the project
>>
>>92694068
Stop spamming the board, faggot.
>>
>>92694197
If he isn't creative enough to come up with a name for his game before he starts shilling it, why would anyone think he's creative enough to actually make a good game?
>>
>>92694233
What even is the game doing that previous editions of D&D aren't? I assume it's just another 3.5/5e spinoff that doesn't really offer anything new except some weird takes on the classic races that isn't suitable for a generic fantasy toolbox.
>>
>>92694197
it already even got funded under that name
fucking stupid
>>
>>92694164
You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>92694233
He's not shilling it here. Both OP and >>92694090
are twitterbaters who hate him and want to build up a wall of animosity to turn people off from the possibility of a 4E revival.
>>
>>92694090
>>92694097
>>92694231
>>92694938
I genuinely don't understand the hostility. I just wanted to touch base and see what the community is hoping for out of this upcoming release.
>>
>>92694068
This looks beyond cringe lol.
>>
>>92694938
Matt's system has little to do with 4E
>>
>>92694068
Yeah probably. Seems interesting.
>>
>>92694068
Why don't you kill yourself instead
>>
>>92694950

The amount of layers this is operating on is impressive, but you reached too far with 'touch base'- I'll give you a 7.

Regarding the RPG itself, I'm interested in some of the research abilities and the like that they're aiming for...I do find myself hoping for more of James' voice being present in the game over Matt's though; I find Matt tends to have good ideas but waffles the execution a bit too much.
>>
>>92694068

Probably not. Give me a pdf of it, though and I might change my mind.
>>
>>92694068
>rolling to hit is problematic EVERYBODY HITS YAAAAYYYYYY
hard pass
>>
Someone just post the dwarf page and get it over with
>>
>>92696042

I don't have the page, but here's a Campbell's Dwarf Russian Hamster doing backflips
>>
>>92694938
>4rries have such a persecution complex that they'll make up conspiracy theories like this
Amazing.
>>
>>92694950
So you admit you're here to do market research?
>>
>>92696042
Real nice writing in that I thought.
>>
>>92694938
I mean yes, but also shut up you're ruining the attempt!
>>
>>92694950
Astroturfing trying to get /tg/ to hate a game before a playtest is even available isn't "touching base and seeing what the community is hoping for out of this upcoming release".
Just in case you didn't know.
>>
>>92694938
>possibility of a 4E revival
don't need OP to create a wall of animosity, all you had to do was say that
>>
>>92694068
There's no niche that this game fills for me so no. Also the combination of Tactical+Heroic+Cinematic doesn't fucking make sense nor i can think a way for laying it down in a satisfying way.
>>
>>92694950
Of course. Just like every single one of these threads you make. You've paid the jannies off, haven't you?
>>
>Matt Colville literally shilling his garbage on /tg/
Buy an ad you fat faggot
>>
>>92694068
Matt, all the niggers and shit and your faggy way of writing turned me off, but I was legitimately interested in your game since I think 4e's mechanics explored further could be fun. Cut out the queer garbage and I'll pirate it.
>>
>>92697804
It isn't out yet, so how would you know?
>>
>>92699533
I have seen some stuff about, all in all it's a battle of attrition skirmish, not something i lean to.
>>
>>92699601
>some stuff
Where, and from what source(s)?
>>
>>92699641
Sure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtPST9SFGvk
>>
>>92697847
I'm making my own, /tg/ shouldn't because design by committee is always shit.
>>
>>92694068
No because the design is fucking awful.

A lot of the issues stem from the bizarre idea that "missing is boring" so every attack must have some effect and chunk off some amount of HP. This idea is, of course, stupid because the vast majority of games have misses in combat while keeping it engaging. Like OSR games arguably have the most barebones combat out there and guess what, when you have only a few d6 of HP and every successful hit takes off at least 1d6 HP then a hit or miss will significantly change the outcome of combat and it will resolve quickly. If each hit or miss could determine whether I live or die suddenly I really care about the die roll and every game where combat isn't supposed to take fucking hours has this excitement. This "Nooo my turn was wasted by a miss!" is bullshit I've only seen in the wake of 5e where combat is deliberately designed to take a long time, the stakes are low, failure is rare, and you're supposed to do a lot of it so of course in this case missing an attack means a boring activity will drag out even longer.

Thanks to him subscribing to this idea because he loves 5e way too much his game makes sure that everyone is always losing health to "keep the game moving" except he also wants combats to last a long time so everything has enormous health pools and now you've just fucked up your design intent by making the game take longer in a less engaging way. And then since the main dial to turn to show progression is to increase damage since scoring or avoiding attacks doesn't exist any more the game has hilarious levels of number bloat as you progress so now you have more of a pain in the ass to calculate every HP drop and have an extremely uninteresting number treadmill as a means to make you feel heroic or something.

The whole game really feels like he actually doesn't the design of the games he claims to both understand and be inspired by as his game has all sorts of pitfalls they deftly avoid.
>>
>>92694068
They gave this man millions of dollars to make a book about castles and warfare and armies for D&D. It was missing the bulk of the rules for those things, but he promised it would all be fixed in his next book, for which he was given millions more dollars. The next book also did not contain rules for those things and the ones it did contain were not really designed for compatibility with D&D rules and classes. All the way he bitched and moaned about piracy for his books for which the production costs were already covered before anyone saw any content whatsoever.
Now he is being given millions to make a whole system.
>Will you be playing it?
You'd be lucky if it's playable in the first place.

This guy is the luckiest hack in TTRPG history. Also he writes reference rules text like it's a youtube script rendering it fucking awful to use. Some people shouldn't be trusted with exclamation marks.
>>
>>92694068
more like fatt colville dessert muncher am i right?
>>
>>92700053
>I've only seen in the wake of 5e where combat is deliberately designed to take a long time
Most fights take 3 rounds. I did 4 combats in my last session, it took maybe half the session. Depends what you're fighting and whether players know what they're doing.
>>
why are modern fantasy races always so uninspired and boring. instead of everyone either looking like deformed humans suffering from some terminal illness or furries, why don't they make actually original races that are never seen in rpgs yet are simple in their design, like cute anime women with animal ears?
>>
>>92694921
Nta, but that anime style (FFT, and the somewhat similar Bravely default style) is really fucking soulless.
>>
File: file.png (1.69 MB, 860x1215)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB PNG
>>92703523
All mass market commercial art is soulless on one level or another, but to pretend like hand drawn pen and oil is somehow worse enough to be worth noting in comparison to the painterly filters over CG that dominates modern fantan's art is absolute fucking retardation.
>>
>>92703523

The art style is default, but it isn't brave.
>>
>>92700053
Missing *is* boring
>>
>>92703672
Nah, just look at those fucking faces. They look literally soulless, even more so than OP's pic.
>>
>>92707331
Contrarianism isn't a personality trait worth holding onto dialater. >>92703672 is objectively better than >>92694068 on every metric of quality.
>>
File: Birb.png (122 KB, 278x280)
122 KB
122 KB PNG
>>92694233
Iirc his claim was that this way he doesn't have to trademark a name of a game that might not be created. It's stupid bc everyone knew the project would've been successful, and if not he could keep the name and try to make the game sometime down the line.

>>92694253
It's goal is to be 4e but suck less.

>>92696023
It's worse than that. He has this whole "you hit every time" and then went on to talk about how there are ways to block incoming damage to the point where some attacks straight up fail. Dunno if he is still using that mechanism though.

>>92699601
The battles themselves aren't attrition as some classes literally build up resources as the battle goes on. If you mean hit die (or whatever he is calling them) then yeah maybe, but I don't see that as being a huge issue.
>>
>>92707343
Maybe if you replaced those fucking stupid faces.
>>
>>92707343
being a weab isn't worthwhile either
>>
File: 6m2y6gm2hrf91.jpg (229 KB, 821x1200)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>92707343
And this looks leagues better than both of those. At least the Jap one isn't digital slop, but it's still that shitty post-00's anime style.
>>
>>92694153
>gritty OSR-art is the only true fantasy art
It is though, anon. It is. Shitty airport fiction used to have better art than "high production value" RPG sourcebooks. It's the poison of digital art.
>>
File: him.jpg (227 KB, 979x435)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>92694153
there is a lot of unique fantasy art out there anon. art that is not even so high strung that you an not aspire to draw it one day. be the change you want to see anon. also why are you posting final fantasy art and pretend that it is not popular?
>>
>>92707950
>>92707973
Cool art

>>92703672
>>92694153
>>92694068
Shit art
>>
>>92708316
High contrast black and white fantasy art is great. I think the issue is a lot of people forget that you can make stuff without 100 hours of photoshop tutorials and a tablet.
>>
>>92708401
>>
I know jack shit about this game but it didn’t invent not rolling to hit and it’s extremely weird to pretend it did so you have something to come at it for. The benchmark for good RPG mechanics isn’t “like D&D”.
>>
>>92694090
Lol, i'm more than sure that Colville doesnt have to advertise his shit on 4chins
>>92694068
I dunno, i like this guy but..
>>
>>92694068
Fourth thread without anyone linking the current playtest rules or even directly quoting a single block of text from anything written in them.

If you are actually looking forward to this game and want discussion, stop making these threads until there is something to actually talk about. Otherwise you're just tipping your hand to the fact that >>92694097 called out precisely what you're doing.
>>
>>92702693
this is a horrifically misinformed description of what happened
>>
>>92708514

What is the benchmark for good RPG mechanics, then?
>>
>>92711867
Then you should be able to say what he's wrong about.
>>
>>92708451
what exactly is happening here, that guy looks like hes the one getting stabbed instead of the tree
>>
>>92694068
probably not. mechanically it sounds really good for the people who would want that kind of thing, definitely learning from the last several decades of design in the industry and even in vidya.

But """tactical cinematic heroic fantasy""" isn't what i'm looking for. I absolutely despite tactical style of play, I hate the character building autism and how so much of said combat is just about jacking yourself off about how much everything you chose synergizes, I hate all the fiddly minutiae it requires you keep up with, I hate that your options are largely enumerated and improvisation is strongly discouraged because it's reliably not optimal compared to just jacking yourself off over synergies, I hate how everything takes forever and a million things can happen that don't actually amount to anything happening and making it so half of all turns don't end with "skip a turn" only fixes part of that.
And heroic and cinematic means it handwaves most of the logistical and environmental problem solving stuff that I find fun, to focus solely on the aforementioned tactical combat, theater kid drama, and factional politics, the other two parts of the game I'm sick of.

It's like the evil inverse of DCC.
Hand me a pile of random nonsense to cobble together success out of, throw me in a dungeon that has me watching the clock in game because i'm on borrowed time not in real life because i'm bored, have making up ideas on the fly based on what's around you the go-to option, and if something goes sideways let it go catastrophically wrong and MEAN something, if that means rolling a new dude that's part of the fun, instead of "meh, try again 15 minutes later on your next turn after fuckbois 3-5 finish gooning."

The ThatGuy in our group is going to love MCDM though, a game of nonstop limelight and machinations.
>>
>>92713243
The tree is sentient and striking back at him, I'd reckon.
>>
>>92712201
The most obvious is that the book itself fulfilled exactly what was promised on the kickstarter roadmap.
>>
Bump
>>
>>92694068
Like the flavor of matt colville's ass, eh?
>>
>>92694950
>I genuinely don't understand 4chan. I'm just wanted to touch Matt Coville in his bathing suit area and tell the community I'm hoping he'll touch my bathing suit area.
>>
>>92694068
I'll probably try it when it comes out, just like Daggerheart.
However so far of the D&D alternatives Shadow of the Weird Wizard is my group's favorite so far for a 'generic fantasy' style game. If we want grimdark we play Warhammer Fantasy 4e or 2e and if we want an exploration game we play Forbidden Lands.
>>
>>92716883
>Shadow of the Weird Wizard
Still waiting for my books to ship so we can try it. Not sure what the timeline on that looks like currently.
>>
>>92694153
Gosh I remember adoring the first time I saw this specific style in the FFT booklet for the PS1 game. I like seeing this Viera and Elezen here today and it makes me happy.

...oh I see you're a joyless fuck.
>>
>>92716904
We've been using the PDFs so far and it's going great. Wrapped up a 1-10 campaign a few weeks back. Standout character was a player that went 'I'm going to try to remake a Polearm Sentinel Paladin from 5e' and ended up making a Priest/Paladin/Champion that went into the Invocation and War traditions. Once we realized how good martials and casters felt to play in SotWW our group has gotten close to just shelving 5e entirely.
>>
>>92694068
This thread is so bizarre. It's just shilling and counter-shilling, with very little of it organic. Obviously Team MCDM wants to sell their own product, but who is doing the hard counter-shilling? Is it Hasbro? To the shills, please actually share some rules or a reason why we would want to play it.
>>
Please stop posting in this thread, no one gives a shit about this game.
>>
>>92716950

What are the differences between Shadow of the Demon Lord and Shadow of the Weird Wizard, or are they even practically the same game?
>>
>>92717052
I'll go over the ones that immediately come to mind.
Core Rulebook is human only, with the GM book Secrets of the Weird Wizard having the other racial options.
Fast turn/slow turn is gone now. Enemies all go first unless you give up your reaction to seize the initiative. This gets rid of a slight tactical decision but speeds the game up enough to make it a net positive trade off.
The Power stat was removed, now every spell has a set number of castings, you can select that spell multiple times when you would gain additional spells to gain additional castings. Traditions also have perks now, you get one when you get the traditions and can pick the tradition again instead of another one to get another perk from it. The removal of the power stat as what determines the number of spells you get helps remove the problem in SotDL that taking a mix of paths that gave and didn't give power lead to some feeling gimp'd.
Martial paths now get a +xd6 bonus damage die upgrade on their level ups. Bonus damage dice can be traded in two at a time to get extra attacks against additional targets. Effectively taking SotDL's Combat Prowess/Expertise/Mastery from the Novice Warrior and better codifying it across multiple paths.
Weapon choice has more meaningful impact now as a lot of weapons have more talents that effect certain aspects of how they're used mechanically. For example, before a Hammer and a Hatchet were both mechanically the exact same weapon. Now the Hammer has Bludgeoning which causes a target to become vulnerable (+1 Boon to attack the target) on a critical success hit while the Hatchet has Brutal allowing a reroll of 1s for damage.
Hateful Defecation was removed from the Forbidden Tradition along with almost all of the gross-out shock horror stuff so you can't make Shadow of the Dookie Lord jokes about Weird Wizard.
There are a bunch more but the big thing is that it feels like a lot of the Poisoned Pages style optional rules from SotDL are now baseline.
>>
>>92717052
Different anon. My understanding is that Weird Wizard removes most of the pointlessly distasteful "spell of shit your pants" and "power word: peepee boy" kind of spells that everyone disliked about Demon Lord.
>>
>>92694068
No. Stop spamming this thread and fuck off.
Why are the /tg/ mods so fucking worthless?
Spam threads and advertising and off-topic nonsense goes untouched, while entire threads of good conversations get ripped apart because of their tranny fee-fees.
>>
>>92717262
Which wasn't hard considering it was only two spells from the Forbidden Tradition, Hateful Defecation (corebook) and Seal the Cavity (Occult Philosophy).
>>
>>92696061
That's actually extremely sad, because that is a condition called "Stargazing" and it's due to neurological damage. D:
>>
>>92717052
>>92717251
>>92717262
>>92717301
No one on /tg/ posts like this. It's so obvious, please stop, this game is shit and no one cares about it.
>>
>>92717311

Thanks for raining on my parade
>>
>>92717366
>Anyone I don't like is some guerrilla marketing psyop.
Okay, schizoid.
>>
>>92717366

>Oh no! We better not discuss traditional games on /tg/ lest we encourage shills!

This board has been /v/ for too damn long. I'll discuss or ignore whatever games I want, not you.
>>
>>92717295

We get what we pay for
>>
>>92717311
It's a hamster, it only lives a year anyway, who gives a shit?
>>
>>92694233
>>92707393
The argument I heard was something to the effect of "Nobody is going to recognize our game by it's own name, it'll just be called "That MCDM game" so fuck it, the game is called "That MCDM game""
>>
>>92707393
>4E
>suck less
How can it suck less when it's the only D&D ever to see print that is objectively good?
>>
>>92717251
Looking at the paths from Weird Wizard, it looks like HP values got inflated from Shadow with most paths getting double what they would've gotten in Shadow like mage paths getting +4 HP and warrior paths getting +12 HP. How bad is the HP bloat in Weird Wizard? I liked how in Shadow most characters would go down in a few good hits as opposed to D^D 5e where even a common knight had like 50 HP and could tank a bunch of crossbow shots.
>The Power stat was removed, now every spell has a set number of castings
>The removal of the power stat as what determines the number of spells you get helps remove the problem in SotDL that taking a mix of paths that gave and didn't give power lead to some feeling gimp'd.
I don't really mind Power and I liked it being an actual measure of a character's magical power level. The only time it's an issue in my experience is people who went for a warrior novice path and wanted to go into magic later, I just homebrewed half-Power warrior path variants that they could swap over at later levels with just in-game justification.
>Traditions also have perks now, you get one when you get the traditions and can pick the tradition again instead of another one to get another perk from it.
I wasn't a fan of those perks that some of the traditions had in Shadow, like Water tradition giving you free water breathing and Battle turning your madness into battle madness although it was more of the fact they had no uniform system, some traditions got perks while others got nothing.
>There are a bunch more
I do like the universal trigger action of covering allies and switching an attack to yourself, I felt like Shadow always needed a path or an action like that.
>>
>>92694068
>cinematic
>read: cant make proper rules so just wave the hand of the invisible cool
>>
>>92694153
this makes me nostalgic for 9 years old me trying to understand wtf is going on in ragnarok online and also trying to understand english
>>
>>92695601
literally who?
>>
>>92717366
>start a thread about some vapor eceleb shit
>people start talking about an actual game system
>get mad
>>
>>92719917
So he's committed to only selling it to people in his own echo chamber? I barely know who he is so I wouldn't have called it that, but I also am not going to play a game with some eceleb's made up name in its title.
>>
>>92717295
>Why are the /tg/ mods so fucking worthless?
Because a lot of spam threads and troll posts are theirs.
>>
>>92720288
>How bad is the HP bloat in Weird Wizard?
Melee focused characters are a little more bloated than others just so they can be more reliable walls. Everything does a bit more damage generally. In essence characters feel about 25% more durable than before. Which considering what it's trying to accomplish, slightly higher powered fantasy than SotDL, it nails.
>>
>>92694068
my group will give it a shot
>>
>>92694068
>Ttrpg
>Cinematic
False advertisement.
>>
>>92703523
>>92694164
Shit taste,redditors
>>
>>92708366
Cringe post
>>
>>92694068

Just going to wait for it to come out so that I can download it. I don't expect to ever play it.
>>
File: 1665296430044982.jpg (3.73 MB, 1750x3150)
3.73 MB
3.73 MB JPG
>>92694164
Almost quite literally the furthest thing from animeslop
>>92707950
>Post 00 anime style
Anon...
>>
>>92696102
>>92697803
4efags don't even want MCDM, it completely fails at aping what they actually like about 4e.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.