[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

My Brother and I were recently thinking about starting a long-form boardgame surrounding a war. We live apart and so we were discussing different games. One that has come up is Campaign for North Africa and Red Storm, any Anons know some good ones that might be better we were thinking about WW2 or later in terms of setting but are open to other suggestions. Also ease of availability would be a bonus. Thanks.
>>
File: 3ww-cover-1200px.jpg (914 KB, 942x1200)
914 KB
914 KB JPG
>>92699801
Stuff like pic related might be what you are looking for
I'm not even sure if Campaign for North Africa is a game worth playing, feels overbloated just for the sake of it
>>
>>92699801
>>92700057
Campaign for North Africa is an IRL shitpost made to troll fags and protest the rampant increase in "complexity" in wargames at the time. There has never been a recorded instance of a group playing from start to finish, as even those that try quickly find out that the game sucks
>>
>>92700246
Ok good to know we are just trying to find a good war game to 1v1 each other campaign style, thank you for the advice
>>
>>92700439
>good war game to 1v1 each other campaign style
Hmm, consider Undaunted: stalingrad?
Would you be playing this online, using Tabletop simulator, vassal, yucata, or Rally the Troops?
>>
>>92700464
Most likely online we were thinking of using Tabletop sim but are open to other systems as well even if they do simplify some aspects of the game. I've recently been looking to Vassal is it any good?
>>
>>92700057
Cool thanks I give it a look into
>>
>>92700485
Vassal is old school and limited, but for dealing with hex and chits its perfectly fine and has been for over two decades.
>>
>>92700246
>There has never been a recorded instance of a group playing from start to finish, as even those that try quickly find out that the game sucks
iirc there's a group that's been at it for maybe a decade. Turns every week or so mailed to each other as a side game after they started it in college. They might make it.
>>
>>92699801
No one has ever completed a game of Campaign for North Africa.
>>
>>92700246
Lmao. Of course the normies will consider every actually good and detailed game "a shitpost" and will try to slander it as much as possible since they're salty about their inability to play it.
>>
>>92707338
:^)
>>
>>92699801
play something through Vassal, bonus is you can play with others extra players
>>
>>92707338
seriously I just wanted some recommendations and all I get is comments about how it CNA is not worth playing.
>>
>>92708288
You opened with the biggest meme board game ever made. Wait a few days and make an op without bringing that up next time if you don't want it to dominate the thread.
>>
>>92700057
seconding third world war, very playable (skip persian gulf though). I've heard the europa series of games are also good (same designer).
All H&C games are easiest to play via vassal which also has a huge library of them for free
>>
>>92708288
well at least the thread hasn't fallen off the board with zero discussion, you've accidentally discovered the secret to successful threads on 4chan - engagement bait

just enjoy the few on topic posts you otherwise would struggle to get in a less long-lived thread
>>
>>92708288
>all I get is comments about how it CNA is not worth playing

Campaign For North Africa has NEVER been played to completion.
>>
File: Aye-Fair-Enough-meme-9.png (288 KB, 531x429)
288 KB
288 KB PNG
>>92708371
>>
>>92708577
Whats wrong with Persian Gulf?
>>
>>92707338
I wouldn't call it a shitpost but it's something you'll never finish, it's practically an art piece, something that exists for the sake of itself
>>
>>92700057
Where's Southern Front supposed to be set in
>>
>>92713362
don't know the game but I'd guess greece/bulgaria
>>
File: monke.jpg (187 KB, 1025x2029)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>92713362
>Southern Front: Race for the Turkish Straits adds Bulgaria and Romania, reinforced with three Soviet armies and special-capability forces, face Greece, Turkey, and Yugoslavia, thinly reinforced with a few elite units from the U.S., France, and Italy.
>>
>>92711907
half-assed pre-game minigame and really boring theater that's way too big for the units (95% of which are absolute trash that can't actually do anything) involved. Only good thing is that it adds the B-52 which is one of the most powerful units in the game (and can be used on all maps)

>>92713362
southern front is really fun. I had a game where I air-assaulted into Turkey with the Romanian heliborne division and strengthened the beachhead with the black sea marine infantry division and tied up like half the Turkish army east of Istanbul.
Then in the late game I gambled and launched a massive paradrop into Greece and south-western Turkey with Soviet, Romanian and Bulgarian para divisions. Almost manage to take Athens before hasty NATO reinforcements stopped the advance
>>
Hey quick question semi related to OP. Does anyone know of wargames with a unit based initiatuve system. By this I mean units are given an initative score depending on what they are, and instead of having set turns players activate units based on descending initative. Was curious if any system used this because it seems like a neat way to model a units "reactivity". For example, a light infantry unit would be given a higher initiative than a tank to model how infantry could out manouver a lone tank. Is this idea too autistic?
>>
So campaign for north Africa is long, but what's actually in it? Why does it take so long? About all I know about the game is jokes from valefisk videos.
>>
>>92699801
I spent about three weeks in college running a bootleg CNA with a simplified rules set (6 players plus myself as ref trying to make sure we followed the jank conversion). It ended up being this nightmare back and forth when we actually got to serious warfare. Ended in the total collapse of the Allied team to a screaming match with two players surrender. If I remember right the giga nerd who'd nominally been leading them had dropped the ball on air coordination and munitions, and the two guys on his team got sick of his shit. Though mostly because one guy on the Axis side who was larping as Balbo exploited them being uncoordinated and giga nerd being way too aggressive to pull of some shit with the Malta raid system and the railroads. We probably could have played a 'Full Game' over the next two months at the rate we were going, but I was satisfied and consider it win.

I think I had fun, even if I spent way too many evenings looking over people's homework, but I can't recommend it unless you are a freak or you have a lot of people who can coordinate and enjoy math. Wouldn't trade the memories for anything though. Italian Larper was fun throughout, one of the German guys slowly became an unhinged alcoholic who smoked at the table, the quiet guy who'd been tasked with allied artillery having a full on episode because Giga-Nerd hadn't finished his tasks yet (I think.) Basically most of us had been daunted by the assignments list and working out the orders but came around to it, GN had 'been up for it' and slowly gotten worse over the game. But he also had control issues so he'd 'take up' stuff from his co-players.

>>92727311
CNA turn time in calculation is excruciating in how it models as much as it can. The game really focuses on logistics and attrition and has individualized shit like Brits using larger barrels rather than jerry cans so they suffer more evaporation on supply. So it can take multiple hours just for a single turn.
>>
>>92727311
Also I'd be remiss not to mention this thing. Which is simultaneously the most frustrating thing in the world to keep track of but also the funniest shit in the world.
>>
>>92700057
After Russia's current performance, games about fighting them don’t seem as good
>>
>>92711321
>>92705860
>The Campaign for North Africa has been called the longest board game ever produced, with estimates that a full game would take 1,500 hours to complete
This probably sounded impressive and intimidating back in boomer days, but there are now people who clock 50k+ hours in League of Legends and other vidya slop. You could probably get some mentally ill speedrunner tranny to do that on a dare.
>>
>>92735555

The problem is you need multiple people to really play it, and you need those opponents to be consistent. Unlike MOBA slop.

Also, the game is supposedly not very fun at all, especially not to the kind of person who plays vidya sanicmode.
>>
>>92705860
Prove it. There are several people who claim to have finished the game, and at least one person who claims to have completed it no less than four times.
>>
>>92728020
That’s ahistorical though, Italian individual and ten man field rations didn’t contain pasta. Pasta was only used in field kitchens which required access to water to work at all anyway. A bigger problem was the fact that the field kitchens were wood-burning and wood was harder to obtain, store and transport than water.
>>
>>92736295

You're mom finished it 4 times.
>>
>>92699801
If you want good games
Strategic: Unconditional Surrender, No Retreat
Operational: COIN series
Tacticool: Pavlov House, Warfighter, Last 100 Yards, Conflict of Heroes

If you want autism galore:
Strategic: World in Flames, Empire of the Sun
Operational: Operational Combat Series, Next War series
Tacticool: Advanced Squad Leader, Fields of Fire (strictly solo but you can complete in campaign or play makeshift coop)
>>
>>92736353
Of course it's ahistorical, it's a deliberate joke about pointless complexities in a game
Not only that but they could just drink the pasta water
>>
>>92699801
>CNA
...the game that has zero recorded instances of a complete game including play testing?
>>
>>92737299
Welcome to the thread, next time try reading the 36 posts ahead of yours
>>
>>92737393
Thanks, stoked to be here and no I will not.
>>
>>92727933
The game is crying out for the kind of automation that conversion to a PC game would bring. Even better if it had PBEM or similar so everyone could coordinate and complete their own orders in their own time, then the game processes them as soon as they’re all in.
>>
>>92700057
>>92708577
>>92718616
Is there a particular engine that this game runs off of?
>>
>>92699801
have you even played Axis and Allies OP? come on now
>>
>>92700246
you don't even play games
>>
>>92745006
Doesn't make half of anons post any less true.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.