[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: wp8231739.jpg (262 KB, 1920x1080)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
I have a really hard time bringing myself to like new dungeons and dragons style.
Its like a totally different genre of fantasy than what it started as. I get thats totally natural but the new aestetic, sub-genre, it feels too much like real life and no longer fantastical. Like not a real fantastical setting but a place that was made to cater to podcast fans.
I'm sure its popular and has merits but not to me
>>
Well it is different, they're angling for a whole other audience. Don't like D&D either but it's nice to see an anon being an adult about this for once.
>>
>>92709704
>it feels too much like real life
Really? I feel the opposite. Like it's become too divorced from reality, where everything is magical.
>>
What he means by "like real life" is "reminds me of my crippling obsession with culture war bullshit and I can't turn off my autistic paranoia for even half a second." The problem with this position is literally everything at all times reminds him of "real life" because there's no escapism possible when the anxiety is coming from inside you.
>>
>>92709903
>brings up culture war bullshit out of nowhere
Sounds like the anxiety is coming from inside you alright.
>>
Dnd has always been a clusterfuck of random races without any coherent theme and with all the races coexisting mostly within a generic medieval European setting. It's basically the fantasy version of star wars (i.e. the most generic kind of slop). Elder scrolls and warhammer fantasy are better defined and the former actually has the deepest lore of all fantasy settings.
>>
Baldurs gate 3 was a success get over it. You got gatekept not even /v/ helped you kill it. You guys need to get over it.
>>
>>92710246
So when were you first diagnosed?
>>
>>92710246
>out of nowhere
You're aware there's an image in the OP, right?
>>92709704
To be honest, at least half of this effect is that you are older and wiser now than when you first became aware of D&D. The new style is being observed through new eyes. The old style retains the judgement you first made. Human nature.
>>
>>92709704
>things change in the timespan of 50 years
>people who make the game change within 50 years
>new conumer demographics emerge within 50 years
>tastes, tropes and zeitgeist change and evolves
Thats like every single long standing IP that exists

>I'm sure its popular and has merits but not to me
Okay, thanks for letting us know.
>>
>>92709704
You shouldn't like it because it's trash, you don't have to like something just because it's popular with retards.
>>
>>92709704
So you have posted the most normie opinion on this board and line up right with the /tg/ masses. Congrats. Next thing you´ll say 5e bad, have you tried not playing DnD and start posting the same old artworks of an adventure party, compared to those fan arts of Critical Role campaign 2.
>>
>>92709704
Pretty much. You either go back to the previous versions of the setting or you find another setting that engages you more. I enjoy adnd-era stuff a lot, but I hardly ever play because very few people I know care enough to be positive to the idea of a retro setting. So I play cyberpunk, call of cthulhu, and traveller, and I just leave that type of fantasy on the shelf for now. All that is old is new again.
>>
>>92709704
Because it had more medieval social conventions from Tolkien.
Now every setting is Seattle.
>>
>>92709704
I think you're right, though I can't bring myself to reject newer-D&D wholesale. There's still a fair amount of stuff to draw inspiration from with newer media if you look for it. Keep being real anon, never let them shame you.
>>
>>92709704
Reading this stuff makes me appreciate my fixed group of FRIENDS that I play with and our passionate DM who is into world building, and players who are genuinely interested in the setting and want to help build the world campaign by campaign.
Its all how we want it to be, not dictated by some videogame, movies or internet opinions.

I don’t kinda understand what is the issue though. Dnd has always been about demons, vampires and everything in the picture you posted. You realize the over sexualization of everything has nothing to do with Dnd, but VIDEOGAMES. Look at any new triple A single player game and it has sex scenes etc. What does this have to do with your dnd table?
>>
What pisses me off is every bg3 or ap snippet I've been subjected to is just so relentlessly horny. Fucking quit it.
>>
>>92712369
All media at all periods is relentlessly horny. You're a primate surrounded by social primates. Get over yourself.
>>
>>92712400
False.
>>
I just hate troons and mudslimes
>>
>>92709824
I feel like the ever pervasive magic takes the place of commonplace technologies in the real world.
>>
Given they were familiar with the Badur's Gate underworld, kind of unusual Astarion, Karlach, Jaheira and Minsc wouldn't recognize Orin and Dark Urge.
>>
File: 9781560760849-us[1].jpg (37 KB, 500x500)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>92710254
Yes, but there's FAR more rules, both written and unwritten about how you're "allowed" to use this shit.

It really doesn't bother me, as my table is sound.

>>92710538
You forgot, hey, try something NOT D+D!

>>92712294
>What does this have to do with your dnd table?
It shapes the expectations of normies and noobs, who for the most part are just visiting.
>>
>>92712369
>>92712400
>>92712406
I'm not going to start using x cards like some sort of pink haired loser, but there's definitely been an increase in the "not having THAT at THIS table" with the sex shit.
>>
>>92713971
Faggot cant handle a player saying he wants to fuck the bartenders daughter, whats next do you think dragons are satanic too? Fruitcake
>>
>>92714005
>YOU HAVE TO LET ME HAVE PRETEND SEX WITH IMAGINARY CHARACTERS BECAUSE... YOU JUST HAVE TO!!!!
Nah. It's weird, and you're weird for doing it.
>>
>>92712369
>>92712400
BG3 horniness was initially a "bug" for what matters. But then some people lamented when they fixed it, but then otome games exist so why bother...
>>
>>92715093
>otome
Dude, bishoujo/hentai games are a much bigger genre, why does it only bother you when it's targeted at a female audience?
>>
soooo if the vampire sundenly doesn't burst into flames while under sunlight anymore because the parasite removed his vampiric traits why does he still need blood? main char should kill it on the spot because at that point is not a physiological necessity anymore, he does it because he likes it
>>
File: IMG_6869.jpg (40 KB, 739x415)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>I, Prince Orpheus, have the power to disrupt Illithid Psionics, I am more powerful than any Mind Flayer!

>Based on my 1 minute assessment, in order to defeat the Elder Brain….I uhh need to become a Mind Flayer.

>Becomes a Mind Flayer by touching his forehead and immediately transforming into one. Even though he has no tadpole

>Okay let’s go guys, just remember to kill me afterwords

Is Orpheus canon to D&D /tg/? Should he be?
>>
File: the absolute state.jpg (66 KB, 1200x675)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>92709704
>Like not a real fantastical setting but a place

a platform where you can indulge your morbid fantasies, more like it
it's not about /tg/-dwellers anymore that's for sure

BG3 is such a trash i'm glad Larian studios dropped it without even making addons and just moved on
>>
I don't get why people are always freaking out about stuff like aesthetics and political correctness when these are hardly touched upon in the rules and are more likely to manifest in a GM's personal style.
Why do I feel like none of you godless pricks have ever played tabletop?
>>
>>92712369
FROM THE DIRECTOR OF "I ROLL TO SEDUCE"
>>
>>92710828
Seattle is actually an interesting place though. That’s like judging might city only by the corpos.
>>
>>92715207
if he turns into a mindflayer and dies as the canon route, or if he stays trapped as a mcguffin, no one has to acknowledge him
>>
>>92709704
All aesthetics have their time, though. The very plasticky, we are the world version of DND will carry on for a while, maybe even produce a very few good works, then fall out of favour for something else in the cycle, ie a rediscovery of older styles but also a synthesis of both into something new.
>>
>>92709704
It’s always confused me that so many people approach D&D from the perspective that you HAVE to play in the currently-supported version of the currently-supported official setting. Yeah, there are games out there that dovetail their mechanics and their settings, but D&D is very much not one of them—which is a strength in some cases and a weakness in others. But the 5e DMG devotes a decent amount of space to the idea of building your own world, so, if you don’t like the current zeitgeist, they’ve already given you permission (not that you need it in the first place) to abandon it.
>>
>>92709704
I'm ok with Astarion and Shadowheart, but Will/Mizora fucking suck.
>>
File: world of dogshit.jpg (126 KB, 1200x800)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>92709704 (OP)
I think I know what you mean. Modern D&D has this...ren faire vibe, people in costumes, not even anachronistic fantasy any more. It reminds me of World of Warcrap, with its garbage like selfie cameras.
>>
>>92716985
>more disingenuous/v/ermin nogames to shit up threads
Irrelevant WoW has a selfie cam because you lames wouldnt stop modding the game to take pristine posed up pictures of your low poly count characters outside of the paper doll.
>no results found for this image
>he took this screencap of his own toon
Typical
>>
>>92716985
DnD hasn't had a good aesthetic since sometime in the 2nd edition. Maybe early 3rd. 3.5 had that retarded "dungeonpunk" aesthetic where everybody was covered with belts for some reason, which is just as dumb as the plastic Warcraft armor of 4th and 5th edition but in a different way (copying 90s and early 2000s comic book look instead of copying MMO look).
>>
>>92716085
AND THE PRODUCERS OF "MY MAGICAL REALM".

AND

"I WHIP OUT MY DICK IN FRONT OF THE QUEEN"
>>
File: 1662231302779918.jpg (391 KB, 994x771)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
>>92717407
>DnD hasn't had a good aesthetic since sometime in the 2nd edition.
20+ years now - the current generation was robbed of their cultural inheritance.
>>
File: 1jf9icmw8e8c1.jpg (116 KB, 1280x720)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
You now realise Faerun has cigars.
>>
>>92712369
I wonder if writers made every party member behave like horny teenagers to distract from how shallow and generic their actual personalities are.
And consoomers happily ate everything up, proclaiming it to be the best writing of the decade.
>>
>>92712369
I tire of your relentless newfaggotry. Unleash the Greenwood posts.
>>
>>92719217
>the Greenwood posts.
Glorified fanfiction that hasn't actually been in any games. Try again.
>>
>>92719283
Anything Greenwood says is objectively canon. Sorry, you don't get a say in it. :)
>>
>>92719315
>Anything Greenwood says is objectively canon
NUH-UH!!
>>
File: 1703494175303940.jpg (744 KB, 1600x900)
744 KB
744 KB JPG
>>92709704
I liked bg3 but dnd is rapidly losing any identity it had as it goes throughts its disneyification. I fear that it was probably the last good dnd product. Enjoy warhammer before it commits to going down that same road.
>>
>>92710254
>claims dnd is generic medieval europe
>compares it to wfb
wfb is literally medieval europe except retarded; those that prefer it to (much more interesting and consistent) og medieval europe do so simply because they insist on rping adolph hitler
>>
File: Bee.png (15 KB, 99x91)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>92709704
I hate this new stuff less than the crap people keep posting with "Sovl" or whatever. I fucking hated growing up with the shit 80s aesthetic.
Can't say I'm in love with the new stuff, but I'm certainly glad the old garbage is gone. good riddance.
>>
>>92710254
>the former actually has the deepest lore of all fantasy settings.
Well define deepest. D&D has lore, lost of it. If you think the writing is shallow- that's subjective.

I think ES is really complex and tight ... in some areas... it has it's problems in others. but warhammer? Fuck man, it overexplains stuff just to re-iterate the same themes over and over.
So out side of subjective preference the only thing we have to measure is amount of written lore (per setting). In which case D&D wins by a landslide.
A large land slide.

And yeah I'm aware of the WH Novels, lore definitions, fucking magazine roll-outs that still haven't been cleared up into the modern stuff, and other side shit GW has produced over the years.

D&D still beats probably both. Probably combine sadly.
Whether you LIKE it is a different story... I wasn't so fond of most of Dragonlance for instance, but it's still really "in depth" for whatever the fuck that is worth.
>>
>>92709704
Yeah
early d&d was primarily a Pulp Sword&Sorcery simulator, with the adventures being smaller in scale, more player driven, with the characters gathering a retinue to small army of followers and carving out your own domains being an expected outcome
modern d&d is primarily an epic fantasy simulator, with adventurers being world ending in scale, more plot driven and with the character increasing greatly in personal power but not being expected to carve out their own domains and being big players in the world
>>
>>92709824
The pervasiveness of magic in NuD&D is just a replacement for technology. WotC's D&D since at least 4E if not earlier has been chasing the Marvel market. WotC's view on fantasy is as a skin to overlay on top of modern day coastal big city life.
>>
File: GLYbsaCawAA-bL2.jpg (318 KB, 1200x1558)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
Is anyone else here a weirdo weeaboo who runs high fantasy RPGs with a gachacore, anime-esque aesthetic?
>>
>>92709704
>it feels too much like real life and no longer fantastical
This is how fantasy has alway been. Look at fantasy art from the 80s, and they look exactly like what modern looked like for the 80s. Big glam hair, hoop earrings, emphasizing physical traits that were considered attractive on women in that time (defined jaw, pronounced shoulders).

This isn't just for women too, with modern male characters looking more like the action movie stars of today, whereas male characters of older fantasy art looked much more like the bodybuilder action stars of the past. This is also why you're seeing more twinks in fantasy, since it's an acceptable modern bodytype, whereas all male fantasy heroes of the past had to be beefcakes.

None of these changes are made to cater to any one specific type of fans, in some deliberate way. They are merely the tastes of fantasy writers shifting to fit with the rest of the culture that they live in.
>>
File: ruan_mei_by_elicooc.jpg (368 KB, 1424x2048)
368 KB
368 KB JPG
>>92720342
I don't extend the aesthetic to the entire fucking game, but for example I have the daughter of the duke go out of her way and dress like pic related, similar to how Western nobles would import Chinese porcelain.
In other words certain NPCs that are the weirdo weeaboos, chinaboos and so on.
>B-B-But it's cultural a-appropriation!
Wait until you see what other evils she's capable of...
>>
File: swordandsorcery.jpg (136 KB, 815x1024)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>92712369
Truly, we must RETVRN to the CHASTE and PURITANICAL depictions of fantasy in the past
>>
File: 885712609699954709.jpg (2.77 MB, 2480x3508)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB JPG
>>92720559
Based generic Star Rail female character design appreciator.
>>
>>92720564
There difference between sex being natural part of the world, and everyone thinking with their dick/vag.
Old fantasy/sci-fi managed to integrate erotic imagery into visuals without it leaking to storytelling and character writing.

Could be because for some bizzare reason humanity decided that being a slut is now a virtue that should be promoted.
>>
>>92720716
Way to make it obvious that you’ve never read any of the classic, 2E-era D&D fiction. Kitiara is aggressively sexual and makes sure that the reader knows it.
>>
>>92719149
Women bought it as a dating sim, literally all they talked about is wanting to fuck the characters. It’s persona for chicks
>>
>>92720716
Let's assume you're right about how much sex is in the writing now vs then. You're not right, but let's just make the assumption.
The fact that characters were having less sex in the narraitve back then does not fucking matter, because they were still being sexualized by the art the writing and the subtext. The amount of sexuality that the audience was exposed to stayed the fucking same.

And for the record, people aren't sluttier than they were 20 or 30 or 40 years ago, they are merely more open about the sex they are having. Being open about how much sex you have in a committed monogamous relationship doesn't make you a slut.
>>
>>92715734
Because aesthetics and wording set up the atmosphere. Sure you can take a piss-stained thing and wash it, but people tend to remember it anyway. Assuming it doesn't smell.

Aesthetics are huge part of the game. That's why people see the nudnd designs and retch. Or things like WOD full of political correctness.
>>
>>92719466
What was DnDs identity that it no longer has?
>>
>>92720716
You somehow did not manage to pick up on how much of all of that was a sex thing. Even the damsel in distress trope is a 100% pure sex thing.
>>
>>92718369
it has tobacco so why the fuck not? probably imported from maztica. baldurs gate is the main port to trade with maztica as well. but I doubt the fags who wrote the game even knows where maztica is.
>>
>>92718049
WE PROUDLY PRESENT
THE LEAST HORNY BG3 VOICE ACTOR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=499VG9Yxs3E
>>
>>92720559
>>92720278
>WotC's D&D since at least 4E if not earlier has been chasing the Marvel market
In the days of 4E and prior, the Marvel market was still nerds you fucking newfag.
>>
>>92720796
>>92720813
There is big difference between erotic imagery (which as I said was always part of fantasy/scifi) and outright dick jumping that is prevalent in modern writing. And no, most of the time erotic imagery was not acompined by sex-driven characterisation (outside of works that were specifically about it).

The damsel in distress cliche is very illustrative of what used to be the norm and what is now.
How it used to be - "I rescue damsel first, and maybe we have sex in the future off camera"
How it is now - "We have sex first thing now, and maybe we will do something else in the future too"
If you don't see the difference, that only proves my point.

Not to mention, the switch of focus from long term relationships to glorification of short term flicks. It's all about instant gratification now, where before it was about the journey.
>>
>>92721161
Crying newfag won't make people ignore that you're a fucking moron with no sense of history. WotC was perfectly happy being the king of the niche hill right up to the moment they decided to sacrifice 4E on the altar of appeasement. Marvel was nerd shit, sure, but it was dominating sales in nerd circles. But more importantly, the staff writers who came into the WotC offices grew up in the hayday of the X-Men and Spider-Man. Just as Gary and Dave drew from pulp novellas for their games, the writers at WotC in the early 00s drew from superhero comics.
>>
>>92710421
If anything in that image makes you think of culture wars you are completely obsessed.
>>
>>92720776
And they're getting tricked into learning a loose approximation of the rules
>>
>>92720776
Let me guess the fucking twink elf vampire is the most popular amongst *omen
>>
>>92721233
It's also shows gross lack of understanding of what 4e was trying to be. It wasn't "modern world but with magic". Their whole 'points of light' paradigm was having isolated centers of civilisation surrounded by vast swathes of unknown, where adventures would take place.

People love to bash 4e for "copying popular X", but that's little more than comforting lie. The truth is, 4e tried to do a ton of new things - and that's why ton of dnd fans hated them. Didn't help that many of 4e ideas were crap (like the aforementioned attempt at a generic setting) - but they weren't copied. 'Copying wow/marvel' was just convenient way for people to hide the fact that they hated idea of any change.

And ultimately, it brought us 5e - the festering swamp of old rehashed concepts long stripped of any meaning and context. But now it came packaged as semi-functional game.
You could say Wizards knew perfectly well what they were doing with 5e, having learned from 4e what their fans wanted.
>>
>>92721243
It's BG3, which has been mired in such discussions since launch.
>>
File: karameik cover.jpg (120 KB, 788x1024)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>92720811
NTA but peak D&D identity is Mystara followed secondly by Forgotten Realms.
A vaguely Hyborean kitchin-sink of an pre-modern anachronisms rooted in the thematic influences of early and mid 20th century pulp fiction and trade paper-back adventure novels.
>>
File: 859306546.png (1.67 MB, 1703x837)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
>>92709704
So how exactly does this aesthetic look "too much like real life" and "no longer fantastical" to you? Please be precise and descriptive in your critique and do not just post the same old 1980s artworks with a "lol its reddit" one liner.
>>
>>92714005
at an actual table, a player making imaginary passes at the imaginary bartender's imaginary daughter is really making real passes at the real DM
perhaps if you'd ever gamed, you might understand how that works

by the way, substituting a computer for the flesh and blood DM doesn't make it any less weird that you're thirsty for pretend girls.
>>
>>92709704
Agree.
D&D is a fucked up world, and I feel like the understanding of that has been lost.
Just like. Dwarves.

Dwarves live for a few hundred years, Goblins live a couple decades.
A dwarf will go his life being at war, and being at unsteady pace with the goblins multiple times during his life.
The goblins may go entire generations where nobody around them has a living memory of being at war with the Dwarves. The goblins think there was a war with the dwarves that their grandparents fought in, while the Dwarves haven't even progressed a full generation since then.
Or, on the flip side, say Goblins successfully conquer someone. Slaves are taken, loot is stolen, ect. Goblins don't write shit down. Three generations of goblins can pass in a human lifetime, none of whom recorded their history. In the span of two generations, the Goblins can conquer you, enslave your people, claim your land... then just kinda forget they did that. Sure, there's still probably goblins outside, moreso than average... but they're just like, normal. They don't realize they probably own you. Some of those captured slaves probably hold positions of relative authority with the goblins, again, the goblins might even think they're at "peace" with you again.

That's REALLY fucking weird, right? That has an impact on the culture of these people, that I feel has been lost, now that all these weird differences are ironed out.

Or, fuck, the fact that there are DECICIVE, black and white methods to determine cosmological morality. Evil is a thing, you can measure it. You can do a thing, and measure if you have become more or less evil by doing it. THINK of the fucking ramifications of this.
>>
>>92724751
This
The DM doesn't want you sweet talking the cute girl because you're sweet talking HIM.
>>
>>92724681
I'm a different anon, but one issue is the mandate that humanoid designs are made with the goal of "representing" our races, without any consistent consideration of what should be internal ethnicities, and that there's an iron rule to avoid anything that MIGHT be seen as potentially stereotypical and caricature.

Older art reveled in pulp exoticism.

I think this hurts when you're trying to establish a sense of place and ethnicity beyond the non human races. Al Quadim. Maztika. OA. The Horselords.
>>
File: DSJpQIbUEAA6xdv.jpg_large.jpg (803 KB, 1457x1877)
803 KB
803 KB JPG
>>92709704
World of Warcraft killed old school fantasy aesthetics. Everything in fantasy is now a horrid mix of overdesigned and cartoonish and ugly brutalist realism. It's why you have a huge plate armored behemoth of a character with armor covered in pointless straps and spikes and you pan up and it's a sheboon head sticking out of it with an Afro that looks like any barista in an American coast city. It's the anime problem where they have extremely busy designs that make everything look forgettable and bland. Things are getting worse.
>>
>>92724681
looks very anime
>>
>>92724833
I mean the newer races are entirely blank slates.
They have no culture, no history, no fucking preferred diet or notable technology base.
It's just a bland ball of stats for the players and I guess for the DM to make a costumed human character.
>>
>>92724851
If old school fantasy aesthetics cant catch the consumers interest in the same way Warcraft does, thats not a problem of Warcraft, but one of the old art.
>>
>>92725559
They won't even be balls of stats anymore, all species - no longer called races - aren't even supposed to have specific stats bonuses, let alone penalties.
>>
>>92717075
>no results
>try to search through myself
>find it on several sources immediately
Tech illiterate monkey.
>>
>>92724851
>It's the anime problem where they have extremely busy designs that make everything look forgettable and bland
Welcome to the age of overstimulation. Subtlety is dead
>>
>>92726131
I'm sure youre more than used to day vacations like that from all that WoW you play little fourrie
>>
>>92724751
>>92724831
Im sorry you cant handle an innocent joking pass from your supposed friend, but some of us are more well adjusted that we can make a comment and forget about it two days later unlike your obsessed gay ass. Sorry you heard a player say they were horny once and immediately became a flaming snowflake with x cards and DO SAY/ DONT SAY lists at the table.
>>
>>92725559
>>92725951
Right. This is related. The NO EVIL RACES mandate.

The, every fantasy race can look like every human race.

It's completely divorced from game mechanics and any meaningful culture.
>>
>>92727056
What a complete lack of grace.

Are you a nogames who's never had to deal with some horndog doing weird sexual fetish shit the rest of the table doesn't want detail on?

Are you completely unable to conceive of different groups having different standards of behavior?

>Handling it.
Alright. This should be a softball. Other DMs. Some skeezer is doing weird sex shit hitting on you and other players and when pushed slightly or denied, sperges out on how your'e all a bunch of snowflakes who should just play Lancer or some green haired PBTA shit.

Give 2 options of your approach. Hard mode. Without simply booting him to His Magical Realm.
>>
>>92726997
Oh, I didn't get banned. Sorry, better luck next time, lol.
>>
I'm sure whatever tired argument about WoW 4E and BG3 you're going to make will be great. Can't wait to read it when you post it to save this thread from being bumped off the board in 6 hours terrance.
>>
>>92709704
>I don't play at all, but here, let me bitch about things existing only in my head
Normally I'd suggest seeking help, but it's clear you should just drink bleach and end your own misery, OP
>>
>>92709704
It’s easy to spot a nogames like yourself when that’s something you worry about. Gameplay has nothing to do with art.
>>
>>92727056
anon, i've had a DM have an important NPC shark my PC on the leg in a bar and we all still laugh about it. it's not about 'le can't handle an innocent joke from the bros lol no homo', it's that it gets very old very quickly unless it's actually tastefully done. and most of the people i've played with are no Cassanova and/or aren't funny about it. further, these guys are rarely after a 'type' in-character and will swing the bat at any and every creature with a pulse and at least one oriface, or a reasonable facsimile, so it's a constant stream of horny. i guess it could fail all the way back around to win if the PC is so horny that he starts hitting on liches and frotting on golems and shit. but i've never had someone that committed to the bit at my table, they're always trying to bang shopkeepers and tavern wenches or high-society types.

>>92728044
method 1:
he gets bites, but literally every NPC who is interested tells him he looks too submissive and peggable to let him smash without smashing him first, then give him his 'lol u r a pr00d d00d' shit right back til he stops or fucks off; PCs are thoroughly encouraged to point and laugh every time this happens.

method 2:
his unquenchable thirst attracts the attention of some manner of demon that begins screwing with him by taking on his form and absolutely cratering his reputation. he gets to a town he's never visited, only to find himself wanted for kidnapping the local lord's daughter. every shopkeep he expresses any interest in will already hate him, call him a pig, refuse him service. barwenches will slap him on sight or have him ejected and/or beaten. he'll have to find this horny demon and stop him before he gets himself in real trouble, or worse. if he can even figure out why it's happening.
>>
>>92709704
Probably the only mature take on the matter I've seen thus far.

Times change and we are getting old and so are our taste. You can continue believing you're being chased out of your hobby by blue haired trannies or you can accept the fact that things change and you don't want them to
>>
>>92724851
good image - how did I never notice his broken horn before?
>>
>>92725590
you misspelled consoomers
>>
>>92709824
This, basically. How is magic supposed to feel unique or special when it's fucking literally everywhere?

Gygax warned about this. Despite all his other failings, one thing he was 100% absolutely correct about was the devaluing and demystification of the magical through the over-abundance and ever-present exposure to it.
>>
>>92709704
You are correct, it's awful. D&D died with TSR and peak aesthetic was 2E.
>>
>>92721186
You are so full of shit it's unreal. Conan the Barbarian didn't have a wifey. And the typical game table is not doing sex scenes.
>>
>>92709704
Have you tried ... not using D&D?
Literally ANY other system, toolkit or setting will work better at doing D&D, and the vast majority of them do the kind of D&D you want.
>>
change? what changes?
been playin 3.5 for 20 years with the same pulp dark Conan aesthetic.
just ignore modern shit, it`s your game.
how hard is that?
>>
>>92733883
Nah, peak was mid to late 1e. I liked 2e for play but by 1989 most of the old guard had moved on or were about to. Elmore and Parkinson left in '87, Caldwell left in '92. Only Easley stuck around. I know some people liked Brom but he never achieved the greatness of those four.
>>
>>92709704
Good. Nothing should be static. Maybe later the oldschool style will be popular once again, but endlessly repeating the same style from the 80's is the definition of stagnation.

OSR is a good example of this: the same fucking game recreated like 500 times.
>>
>>92724681
that looks like goyslop zogchow. Also that armor looks shit
>>
>>92724852
>>92735874
those arent precise and descriptice critiques, just your subjective taste
>>
>>92735970
What about them isn't precise and descriptive? Write your answer in at least 300 words.
>>
>>92736040
"Goyslop zogchow" can mean literally anything dislikable rattling around the brain of the white supremacist in question. As a descriptor, it's completely useless.
>>
>>92736100
Not reading until you put some effort in.
>>
>>92736180
I'm not worried, as I'm sure you'll bump this thread again with something useless in just a few hours Jenny. See you then!
>>
>>92735261
based
>>
>>92735592
>OSR is a good example of this: the same fucking game recreated like 500 times.

You don't know how to play, or DM, if you think this. Get an imagination.
>>
>>92736100
much like the words 'racist' or 'fascist' from the mouths of quislings, amirite? words so empty of meaning that they can only serve as moral instruction, instead of transmitting information.
>>
File: From the Ashes.jpg (309 KB, 863x1200)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>92733883
>peak aesthetic was 2E.

There is definitely an argument to be made.
>>
>>92743176
Almost based, I forgot about Jim. Paranoia overshadows his TSR and BattleTech and other work. His style wasn't like the others but he did some great stuff. There's that black and white illustration of a skeleton waggling its finger that is popular on /tg/.
>>
>>92709704
BG3 stylistic choice reminds me of those cheap ass soft-porn fantasy romance novels one can see on amazon like "enslaved by the orc warlord" or "the dashing half-elf rogue", maybe that's why i can't bring myself to play it, i can't fucking unsee it.
>>
File: chud.png (18 KB, 190x200)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
The thing that does it for me it's the following, In the previous Baldur's Gate games you could recognize a character by the sound of it's voice, accent and what they spoke about.
Korgan had a thick accent, as any other characters but I will use him to contrast him with any other dwarf (or even the duergar) in the game. The speak like any other race would, maybe a little gruffier but not much.

Elves, Men, Halflings and Dwarf who live in Baldur's Gate speak with the same accent and tone of voice. This makes them look like a cultural mesh that resulted into nothing, a bland normalized tone for every "fantastical" race.

Thieflings, Duergar, Drow, Deep Gnomes, Gith and other such humanoids had somewhat of a different attitude, but they were not alien or strange, they did not invite the imagination to even think what their cultures are like.

Another example is Karlach, she spent her life in avernus only to emerge talking like a redditor, I would like more a mish mash of the infernal tongue. Lae'Zel was ok.
This by no means should take away the humour, horniness and fun of the game, I think that's really faggy but would be less faggy if it were written better.
>>
>>92724852
lol no
>>
Its like everything and the kitchen sink fantasy
I think theres a massive overlap between the people that like the new D&D film and BG3
>>
>>92743196
nta but fascist means authoritarian statist and violence fetishist
>>
>>92744325
>a cultural mesh that resulted into nothing, a bland normalized tone for every "fantastical" race
>she spent her life in avernus only to emerge talking like a redditor
It's the complete renunciation of wordbuilding. At most you have "level design", and if you're lucky "art direction" that doesn't make everything brown, but good luck with getting any worldbuilding done.
>>
>>92744363
It's also a novelty thing, Dwarves, Halflings, Elves are completely normalized and common, the Gith are rhe new thing and are characterized somewhat. And I don't want to start on african-american elves.
>>
>>92744328
in the pejorative sense
>>
>>92709704
There's more almost fifty years of material. Play what you wanna play.
>>
>>92744458
>Gith are new
Do you even D&D? They're really, really, really not.
>>
>>92744525
>normalised
I think you can infer they meant 'new in popular culture'
>>
>>92744557
This is the part that older D&D players really don't understand about all the hemming and hawing you guys do on /tg/.

A video game came out. A movie came out. A picture was published that made something look different. Ok. So what? When The Complete Book of Elves came out and it made Elves OP and half of players hated it and half of players creamed their pants over it, you know what everyone did? The ones who liked it used it, and the ones who didn't, didn't. No one gave a flying fuck that some supplement or piece of media recast something in XYZ ways because you either take what you like, or not. It's your table. When did D&D players become such a buncha spoon-fed pussies?

Gith have been around for forty years. They're half-reptile devolved mutants in Dark Sun. Magestic anarchist freedom fighters in Planescape. Sorta silly, ghoulish pirates in Spelljammer. Yet-another-underdark-race-that-is-the-exact-same in Forgotten Realms. Now you've also got "lol African elves." Just use the one you like. Nothing has been taken away from you.
>>
>>92743190
Don't get me wrong, I've played like a dozen OSR games, and some of them were quite fun, but most of them still felt like the samey 70-80's dungeon crawler made for a nostalgia addled crowd.
>>
>>92744574
Ok
>>
>>92744557
Yeah. I meant it in the "new cool thing". I know about the origin of the races in the publication sense and lorewise also.
>>
i just hate fantasy being used to as a vehicle for marvel speak and le quirky reddit humour when its at its best when its realistic and gritty. Not every character has little quips and humorous remarks. its all so tiresome

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.