[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 3e7zj21hlmyc1.jpg (36 KB, 740x385)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Writing General: 'hail to the king' edition.

Welcome to /wg/, the thread for all /tg/ related writing. Whether you're plotting your campaign, trying to come up with a character backstory, or just trying to write some setting fluff, this is the place to post it. You don't even have a campaign, just an idea you want to develop? You're welcome here. While the rest of /tg/ is arguing over monstergirl mating and which way rivers are supposed to flow, we're here to help you turn your thoughts into an actual finished product.

As the successor to the Storythreads, we're also open to /tg/ related fanfiction (D&D, Warhammer, Battletech, whatever). In fact, if you've written any vaguely /tg/-related short stories, you can try them out here. We also have flash-fiction challenges from time to time.

There's a discord for writers here
https://discord.gg/6AwKHGF

The previous thread can still be found in the archive here
>>92633188

And finally an archive of /tg/ fiction can be found here:
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Storythread (dead link, but may be resurrected one day)
https://2d4chan.org/wiki/Storythread
https://1d6chan.miraheze.org/wiki/Storythread
>>
>>92711094
o7 to my boy theoden.
>>
>>92711094
Published the novel that serves as base for my setting a few days ago https://amazon.com/dp/B0D1L9R2JK
>>
>>92711094
Hail the victorious dead! Theoden King has gone to his fathers, and even in their mighty company he shall not be ashamed.

The news of Bernard Hill's passing got me thinking about kings and kingship; his portrayal of Theoden was so seminal it's hard to think of the character independently of him now. So the thread topic this week is: who are the best kings in literature/games/movies/etc?

Most fantasy settings have kings in one form or another, so where's the best place to draw from if you want to make a king worthy of the name?
>>
>>92711126
I meant "basis".
>>
btw, this guy is still posting videos.

https://www.youtube.com/@Mercurio.fiction/videos
>>
>>92711126
wtf
>>
File: hail the victorious.gif (32 KB, 245x200)
32 KB
32 KB GIF
>>92711094
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain, like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
>>
File: king conan.jpg (69 KB, 780x438)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>92711148
>who are the best kings in literature/games/movies/etc?

Well Theoden and Aragorn would immediatly spring to the top of my mind even in happier days. Arthur of course. And people always seem to forget about Conan as a King.
>>
>>92711094
I’m working on a story where a necromancer accidentally gets sent into a pocket dimension and to find a way out they need to create some new items to help channel their necromantic magic but is unable to find any suitable bones in the entire place, and they need materials that have at least some affinity with death magic if they want it to work. Other than amber with shit trapped inside like in Jurassic Park, what substances might they be able to use? Because I’ve written myself into a corner here.
>>
File: longshanks.jpg (450 KB, 1330x2048)
450 KB
450 KB JPG
>>92711148
Patrick McGoohan did a spectacular job as Longshanks in Braveheart
>>
File: King Stephen.jpg (112 KB, 900x600)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>92711148
Tony Curran from The Pillars of the Earth miniseries gives of very regal, authoritative vibes as King Stephen of England.
>>
>>92715537
>And people always seem to forget about Conan as a King.
Because they never got that far in the movies, and most people have never read the books.

In fact, I've never read any of the books. I don't even think I've ever seen a copy of a Conan story. It's weird, you can still find stuff by Lovecraft and Edgar Rice Burroughs, but although Robert E. Howard is *talked* about a lot because of his influence on the genre, his books don't seem to have retained their popularity.

>>92720109
I despise everything about that movie except for him. He captured Longshanks perfectly: total chad, bit of a bastard.
>>
File: bran chariot.jpg (373 KB, 1344x1659)
373 KB
373 KB JPG
>>92720632
>Because they never got that far in the movies, and most people have never read the books.

I know. I just think it's weird is all, especially when the very first story started out in his king days. In fairness even Howard didn't write much of him as a king. There was only really Hour of The Dragon beyond Phoenix on the Sword. Though there's also Kull and Bran Mak Morn who are rulers as well.

>In fact, I've never read any of the books
Well you should.

>I don't even think I've ever seen a copy of a Conan story. It's weird, you can still find stuff by Lovecraft and Edgar Rice Burroughs, but although Robert E. Howard is *talked* about a lot because of his influence on the genre, his books don't seem to have retained their popularity.

Well I don't know what your problem is there but not only is that a load of rubbish but there are plenty of compilations out there, there's zero reason you should be able to find them.
>>
File: 1408631880502.jpg (522 KB, 892x1200)
522 KB
522 KB JPG
>>
File: 1476420656149.jpg (643 KB, 1500x1800)
643 KB
643 KB JPG
>>
File: 1558077341098.jpg (39 KB, 512x599)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>
>>92730650
not a king, and definitely not the best
>>
>>92711126
nice. looks like it should have been written 40 years ago lol.
>>92720082
their own amputated toe-bone?
>>
>>92720152
He is also morally ambiguous
>>
File: KingStephen.jpg (222 KB, 1280x719)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>92732313
>>
File: kingarthur.jpg (1.59 MB, 1382x2048)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
>>92720109
>>92720152
Nigel Terry as King Arthur is also a good portrayal of a king.
>>
I came up with a character for a 5E campaign that I was new to but had been going for about 2 years, which meant I got to start at level 8 and have some cool options right off the bat. It’s a Warlock/Bard multiclass that’s mostly a support character with a little bit of damage output and very lopsided stats. High Charisma(22), Intelligence(18) and Wisdom(18) but low Constitution(8), Strength(8) and Dexterity(10). He was a High Elf from a wealthy family who received a world-class education and had a natural sense of the weakness in others. But he was badly burned by an acidic substance that couldn’t be healed, leaving him with one eye, one ear, a mostly useless left arm, and an addiction to alcohol to deal with the ongoing pain. Every day would start with a roll that determined how much pain he was in, which would determine how drunk he got from his Flask of Endless Wine. Depending on how drunk he was he would incur penalties to Checks and Saves, though he always had disadvantage on Strength checks and Saving Throws and Perception checks by default. To balance this he had a very high Spell Save DC(22 at level 8). This made him very unpredictable in combat and high stakes scenarios.
The other players quickly came to like my character because I played him as very charismatic and jovial while also offering sage advice and being a confidant. The other players were almost all new to TTRPGs as well, so my experience made me seem like a “better” player since I was more cognizant of action economy, making more things happen on my turns and keeping track of all of the effects and triggers of abilities and spells. Their characters would be very concerned when mine was especially drunk, frequently trying to get him to cut back or quit drinking altogether. I usually responded by saying “You wouldn’t like me if you met me” before taking another drink.
(cont)
>>
>>92733138
. They took that to mean the physical pain my character was in due to the acid burns would leave him irritable and angry without alcohol.
In actuality my character’s acid burns were well deserved and came as a result of his attempt to kill his parents and siblings to secure sole possession of the family’s wealth. After successfully making his parents’ murder appear to be death by natural causes, he killed his older brother and made it look like suicide from the grief of his parents’ passing. But he also had a younger sister and no interest in sharing the wealth. When attempting to stage his sister’s death he was found out, grievously wounded by the family’s majordomo, a powerful wizard, and forced to flee. He changed his name and went to the other side of the continent, but he was only able to escape his past for so long. He was outed about a year after I joined the campaign. He also stopped drinking because he wasn’t drinking to avoid feeling pain, he was drinking to feel like someone else. Once the drinking stopped he was more harsh, judgmental, cynical and sarcastic. The party looked at him completely differently, which is what I was hoping for from the start. I wanted them to feel conflicted about my character.
But after about a dozen sessions or so with my character being his true self, the other players all talked to the DM about making me change my character back. They wanted me to just say psych and retcon all of it. I was so proud of myself for pulling off what I thought was a character turn for the ages, but they all hated it. They just wanted the fun, supportive guy back and didn’t want to feel conflicted or unsure. I ended making a new character, but my heart wasn’t in that campaign anymore and I eventually quit. Was I just being a baby, putting my tragic and grimdark backstory ahead of the campaign and party cohesion?
>>
>>92711094
I'm writing a story in which a prince is trying to pass several tests to gauge his worthiness as a successor to his father the king, but I need some more ideas on what these tests might 'be'. There's fighting in a mock battle to see how they can command troops, of course, and maybe some simulated trials to show how he handles legal matters, but I feel that there should be at least two or three other trials, can someone help me here please?
>>
>>92732286
What about stuff that doesn't require self-mutilation? He'd probably consider that as a last resort though, so thanks regardless.
>>
File: 1486429922967.jpg (173 KB, 600x901)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>
>>92732286
>looks like it should have been written 40 years ago lol
Why is that?
>>
>>92720082
He realizes that 'control over the dead' doesn't refer only to what has lived, but what was never alive and sleeps, awaiting him.

A necromancer that has gone over the edge of oblivion using the void to regurgitate him back to reality a Changed being.
He may no longer feel comforted by flesh, dead or not. He is something else entirely.
>>
>>92737638
They've decided not to read your story after checking out the purple prose in your description. A story about a multiracial conglomerate society and secret Jesus is very 2006 but I truly commend you for coming by and showing it off
>>
>>92733363
You know, making a retelling of Hercules' trials might be charming and make the story come easier to you. His trials are allegorical and loaded with meaning so pick and choose what makes sense for your dude and the lessons you want him to learn.
Plus that old shit is free real estate yo
>>
File: 1399170197927.jpg (131 KB, 800x800)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>
>>92738568
I was thinking more in terms of practical lessons, but I guess I can take a look and see if that works, thanks.
>>
>>92732354
King Arthur is really the ultimate king. He's kind of the archetype on which all ideas of kingship are based (at least in western Europe).
>>
File: Charlemagne.jpg (493 KB, 739x1600)
493 KB
493 KB JPG
>>92744401
That and Charlemagne
>>
>>92733363
The real test should be something he doesn't realize is even a test at all. Make him learn morals and importance of sacrifice in favor or righteousness. Some scenario where he has to completely forgot what believes is his actual test but in doing so proves a greater sense of valor and dedication to justice. Some act that makes him place the good of his people before his own desires.
>>
File: alfred the great.jpg (35 KB, 300x512)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>92744401
>>92744566
Don't forget Alfred the Great. Feels like the Arthur legendarium borrows from him and Charlemagne a lot. The model of a Christian king who's humble, intelligent and pious and defends the weak (as opposed to a conquering warlord).

It's always baffled me how little Alfred is taught or known about these days. He basically created the whole kingdom of England from scratch, while almost being wiped out by Vikings. Most of England's Medieval kings - even the really famous, successful ones like Richard The Lionheart - weren't particularly innovative in how they governed, they were just taking advantage of the stable, centralized government that Alfred set up for them.
>>
After the villain of my mandatory mathematics arc, an imaginary number, has his masterplan (convert the world to negative numbers) foiled by my main character and her negative counterpart, he activates a doomsday device as a final attempt to cause as much irrationality as possible. However, it's been ages since I last took a math course, and I'm blanking in this final hour. Any ideas for a math-based doomsday machine? It can't be anything relating to dividing by zero, because that's how the imaginary number is ultimately defeated.
>>
File: il_1080xN.5265116487_13hh.jpg (260 KB, 1080x1528)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
>>92744968
Well, I do want to have the tests gauge their competency rule, not just their moral strength, but that's a great idea for a final, secret test. Any specific ideas though?
>>
I'm curious: What do you all want to see written? Everyone's got a story they'd love to read but will never (or can never) write, what's yours?
>>
>>92750550
In terms of fiction a kings competency is often directly tied to their virtue. Don't get bogged down on the minutia of political mumbo jumbo and nuances. Not that you can't dive into that or shouldn't. But I don't know from politics so I can't say. As for the actual tests? Well that's for you to come up with. Unless you feel like sharing writer credits. Figure out your characters and story and test them based on the needs of that.
>>
>>92750583
>What do you all want to see written?
The story Im writing.
>Everyone's got a story they'd love to read but will never (or can never) write, what's yours?
Im currently writing it and have been for a while, wish me luck.
>>
>>92750583
I don't really have a story so much as I just get thoughts or scenes and visions of stuff I'd like to see. Figuring out the actual story is the hard part.
>>
>>92752540
Try writing it out, helps get the creativity flowing in a linear direction.
>>
File: jambasa.png (712 KB, 808x630)
712 KB
712 KB PNG
>TFW you have to actually name your characters
>>
>>92720082
>flowers grown on graves
>any man-made artifact relating to death(tombstone, embalming tools, gate of a cementary, etc.)
>scavenger animals(vultures, hyenas)
>symbols of death deities or the afterlife, e.g. asphodel
>random shit he finds in the ruins(last evidence of a dead civilization)

>>92733363
Think about what qualities the king wants in his successor and how he would test for that. Competence is obvious, so you've got that handled. But does the king care about religion? Is he weary of the prince falling to decadence because he's had an easy life? Is magic at all relevant for a king in your setting?
Once you've got that you can combine it with the classics:
>travel the kingdom to know how the common people live
>find artifact/person/location
>slay monster
>solve small local probel that turns out to be connected to larger plot

Ideally the trials don't just have a binary pass/fail outcome, but tell the king about his successor. If there's multiple candidates there could also be a secret trial about cooperation.

>>92754350
I have created a database of 675 names all derived from real-world names or words that map to different cultures and social classes, with specified meanings and fictional etymology. But I still can't decide what to name characters because 90% of names are shit and the good ones repeat sounds too much.
I envy people that can just name their Protagonist Bob and be done with it.
>>
File: 3623452345.png (432 KB, 600x592)
432 KB
432 KB PNG
If you were a tribe living in the frozen foods section of a post-collapse WalMart the size of Bahrain, what would you call yourselves?
I can't come up with good names to save my life.
>>
Is The Big Lebowski basically just a game of PARANOIA? I’m rewatching it after discovering the game, and it feels like a standard troubleshooter mission to me.
>While trying to complete a simple errand, a lazy penniless slacker stumbles into an vast and nonsensical conspiracy
>He tries to resolve the problem logically (which you later find out would have screwed him over terribly) but another member of his team tries to pointlessly backstab the conspirators
>This leads to a pileup of conspiracies within conspiracies, where the main character is walking around for hours with a satellite phone constantly ringing off the hook, getting pulled out of one secret limo and thrown into another, and drugged into near insanity with no clue what the fuck is happening
>Any attempt to turn the situation to his advantage either turns out to be misguided or backfires hysterically
>Plot ends with things basically the same as they were at the start, except the central conspirator got a slap on the wrist and one of the main characters is dead.
>The original mystery/errand is never resolved.
The whole thing feels like what would happen if you played PARANOIA cooperatively, rather than as an exercise in creative backstabbing. Everything getting more fucked for reasons you can’t understand until it all inevitably explodes.
>>
>>92754923
>But I still can't decide what to name characters because 90% of names are shit and the good ones repeat sounds too much.

Right? I even if I come up with something I worry it's either TOO on the nose or silly.
>>
>>92755671
wallmartians
>>
>>92747511
He was probably one of England's greatest Kings. Probably only King Edward III comes close to be honest.
>>
>>92755671
Sons of [silly frozen food brand], mispelled to look more trve metal. Can't give a concrete example since my country doesn't have wallmarts.

>>92757830
Recently I've taken to just mashing two existing names together because I just can't be arsed anymore. Like Benjamin + Howard => Bennard.
I also shifted the focus of my story away from politics and towards the lower class so that I don't have to worry about family names.
>>
>>92758477
>>92755671
GODDAMN PF CHANGS!!
>>
>>92755671
Brothers of Banquet
They happened to be in the middle lower end of the food chain, their livelyhood hinged on peas for a good long while but thry held true and now have the last ever box of Turkey in gravy as a holy object.
>>
File: OIP (1).jpg (42 KB, 474x474)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>92758643
My Sons of Select will have your relic in their palms before the squeal of the next unfortunate wheel to turn before my eyes, you Brothers are Banned and your bodies will be collected to be displayed in aisle 409
>>
>>92755671
It'd be two warring tribes: Hotpocks and Toosties
>>
>>92759593
FORTH ELLIOSLINGAS!! ERE THE CRUST RISES!
>>
>>92754923
>Bob
Speaking of, We are Legion We are Bob is a masterclass on author naming and using it to subvert expectation
you can feel when the author starts giving up on good names and goes wild, loving the bob he created
..or so you think
then sometime later you realize his giving up on naming conventions is actually a foretelling of a critical plot twist and you won't know until you know.
>>
>>92755671
Fresh Department
>>
>>92755671
Post-apocalyptic names are usually just mangled versions of whatever was there before (see: post-Roman Europe) and often sound quite stupid if you know their history.

Frosties vs. Freshies vs. Canners vs. Bakers vs. Hardwarers vs. Tekkers

None of them remember the origin of their names and have invented various folk etymologies for them. For example, the Bakers believe they originated with 'Baker Bart', who baked his enemies in clay pots over an enormous firepit. The Canners are descended from a peppy store management team who took control of the canned goods aisle, reasoning that the supplies there would last longest, but they think it's down to their can-do attitude and call everyone else 'Canters'
>>
File: 1502703536691.jpg (144 KB, 1000x869)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
I'm not super-deep into Lord of the Rings, but is it ever explained who exactly the Witch King and the other wraiths were?
>>
>>92766011
Yes
>>
Death to the enemies Ott'r P'op
>>
>>92754350
if I can't come up with a good name I like to look around on relevant maps for place names and use those as first or last names, either straight or modified a bit to work. sometimes browsing wiki articles on historical figures can produce some interesting ones too.
>>
>>92754350
Spoiler: You don't have to. Really.

I know of a novel throughout which (with just one exception) all the characters were never referred to by their given names, but their military rank, and you can potentially extend that into referring by profession, or even just about any characteristic. I know, it doesn't fit into all kinds of narrative, but there are ones for which it fits perfectly.

>>92766011
They were human kings of the old. Sauron disguised himself as a benevolent being and gifted the Rings of Power to elvish, dwarven and human nobles to corrupt them. Elves were cautious and didn't fall for it, Dwarves became greedy and xenophobic, while humans turned into Ringwraiths and became Sauron's servants.
>>
>>92766011
Short answer, no.

To continue from >>92772087, Tolkien doesn't really go into a lot of detail about the back story of the Ringwraiths. It's implied they were kings and nobles from Numenor, which is basically Tolkien's fictional version of Atlantis. After the flood, Numenorean exiles founded Gondor, so they're Aragorn's people, which adds an extra dimension to his battle against the temptation of the One Ring alongside Isildur's failure to resist its power. But the Ringwraiths never get much of a biography; only the Witch King has any backstory at all, and all that takes place well after he became a wraith and fled into exile after Sauron's first defeat.
>>
>>92772087
The changing of names and use of shorthand to refer to someone is a great way to imply changing relationships between characters in a natural way.
We meditate on what exists in our reality, and the closer someone gets to you the more they become familiar to you even if you hate them.
Names change, people do too, we have a lot of our mental grey space for processing language for a reason
>>
>>92757850
>>92758477
>>92758548
>>92758643
>>92759593
>>92761108
>>92763703
These are all great, thank you.
Haven't been having too much of an issue so far, but for some reason the Frozen Goods people were just not coming together in my head. Already got the Stockroom, the Pharmacy, Sporting Goods, the Greeters, Bakery and surrounding sugary aisles, the cart wranglers and the Garden department finished. Still need to do the Registers (banking clan), produce, electronics, beauty...turns out there's a lot of bizarre shit you can do in a WalMart.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.