[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 15415415145251451.png (391 KB, 1600x1671)
391 KB
391 KB PNG
What do you want to see in Bolt actions third edition?
>>
A severe reduction in the rules surrounding german forces because I like seeing wehraboos cry
>>
>>92728290
>Fix rifle grenades
>Make all light machine guns/medium machine guns/heavy machine guns cheaper and not ass
>Fix Aerial observers

thats it its so close to being perfect
>>
>>92728290
Mecha Hitler
>>
>>92728290
wait its actually getting a third edition id thought they would be on 2nd forever
>>
>>92728312
Sorry zoomie go eat up some 3D printed CAD slop. All their plastic and metal minis are soulful
>>
>>92728331
He's The Deranged Warlord Guy, he posts everwhere lol
>>
>>92728358
does he have an alert whenever warlord is mentioned on /tg/? Thats so odd barely any bolt action is talked here unless its hwg
>>
>>92728375
Not even /hwg/ talks about bolt action a lot since all the historical grogs here seethe at 28mm
>>
>>92728375
Idk but I can be on abus or a train or the toilet and he's there. Was fucking my wife last night and reached for a glass of aater - he passed it to me and ranted about howit's really 13.5mm and you can have an abandonware historical game with 4-6 troop categories lol. I told him to get out.
>>
>>92728391
Bolt Action has always been the 40k refugee game for mostly either the racist 40k players or the annoying Imperial Guard guys who realized its to much effort to play WW2 in the year 40,000.
>>
>>92728290
I hate bolt action since guys treat it like 40k and do not make era appropriate armies
>>
>>92728495
The rules lend themselves to that playstyle
>>
>>92728422
The funny things that yes that's a life stage but they soon get tired of the non Axis powers being at all capable lol. If Warlord is guilty of anything it's having an unmistakably British vibe. Personally I like it
>>
>>92728495
>>92728766
They offer more recreation and narrative stuff you know. Also what do you mean appropriate armies?

Most guys who go into bolt action arent making US Airborne with US Marine Raiders you would have to be shameless to even try that.
>>
>>92728290
Primaris Nazis
>>
>>92728784
Not the original poster, but I find even being able to bring stuff like katyushas and tanks etc into platoon actions is a bit silly
>>
>>92728869
>>92728495
Cant you just tell the guy? I never seen any that out there in my games
>>
>>92728869
Okay geek
>>
>>92728869
The whole point like with the Japanese spearmen is that it's fun.
>>
>>92728869
>>92728784
It’s not even squad mixing.

You see guys give entire infantry squads SMGs that didn’t happen only officers were given those or people get lazy and make entire veteran armies. Its shit like this that kills bolt action for true history lovers
>>
>>92729044
5 Ho Ro. Fill the rest with bamboo twats
>>
>>92729113
Yeah sackly
It's a game of world war twos
It will never be as simulationist as a GMT hex and xounter, just enjoy the spectacle innit
>>
>>92728290
Neo-Sassanids going at the USSR from below, and the Axis forces of the Brazilian Marine Corps.
>>
>>92728290
releases for units they statted two editions ago, dare I say the belgian cyclists previewed in 2019?

Tbh i've totally given up on warlord once they switched over to that siocast bullshit, was well disappointed as i'd planned to get all the tank crews for an indie game idea...but no way am I buying their doghit ''resin''.
>>
Warlord fucked up with their plastic us airborne, such a horrible sculpt job. So that was wasted potential. And now their new rangers are just a lazy job of copy pasting the us infantry instead of giving us new sculpts. I'm so mad guys. I'm not suprised but i'm just so mad
>>
>>92731737
but the US rangers include saving private ryan actors!!!!!
>>
>>92733295
>>92731737
Character pandering even in ww2 man war gaming sucks now
>>
>>92731737
It's not like there's a dearth of 28mm ww2 manufacturers
>>
>>92728290
Encouraging squads to have a more historical load out. I think a full sized squad getting a free LMG and SMG for the officer wouldn’t be too unbalanced.
>>
>>92728290
Daemon Premierarch Stalin.
Winston Churchill's wacky scifi superweapons.
Truescale Minnesotan Infantry.
>>
>>92728307
I like the way you think. I also want to see an end to the autocannon/jeep mounted MMG meta (fuck you, LRDG) and for machine gun teams to stop being sniper bait.
>>
>>92728422
Well if you know so much about BA and its community, you must be a member. So which are you, racist or retard IG player?
>>
>>92729079
>he doesn’t know about Russian SMG platoons
Can you tell me whiich armies get the ability to equip all SMGs ahistorically? Army book nd page please.
>>
>>92736166
>Winston Churchill's wacky scifi superweapons.
Look up Konflikt ‘47.
>>
>>92729079
If you play airborne every soldier needs to be veterans though
>>
>>92736267
I play Brit airborne and although they are veterans they are also light infantry with no armour or other heavy on-field support to speak of. Makes them interesting against mixed platoons.
>>
>>92736370
ya I like the US Airborne for this reason to, I have never been a tread head.
>>
>>92728290
Is BA actually worth getting into? It's quite fucking expensive for quality of the models, and I was always told ruleset itself is just same shit as pre-8e warhammer.
>>
>>92736491
your that poor? Most of the starter boxes get you full armies
>>
>>92736229
fortress budapest, not bothering to look up the page but they get assault platoons
>>
>>92728307
I don't even play it but how do you fuck up machine guns in WW2?
>>
>>92737133
They are just ass and sniper bait
>>
>>92736246
Unfortunately Warlord hasn’t done jack shit with it since they acquired the license. All the wacky mechs and special units are still metal and resin, there are no K47 specific plastic kits.
>>
>>92737133
Make a whole team die to one sniper shot while costing the same, give them the same number of shots as five riflemen who don't die to one sniper shot and cost the same, make moving and shooting them impossible which infantry don't have to deal with, and if they sit still and do their job they'll get gibbed by a mortar which, you guessed it, is the same cost. The US can take three in a platoon and they take zero. MMGs are great on vehicles but the teams are ass, basically for show. You can take a Renult FT with an MMG for 15 points LESS and get better results because it can move and shoot and is immune to small arms fire, including snipers. Hell any early war tank full of machine guns is a way better investment, and that's another problem. Tanks rapidly inflate in cost so light is best, something like a Crusader III is as much as you really want. Also flamethrowers can one shot anything.
TL;DR: MMG teams are 50 points better spent elsewhere, because you can get two LMGs for less with more shots casually and those will take two sniper shots minimum to silence.
>>
>>92728290
Make it less of a snorefest.
>>
>>92728857
That's Konflikt 47
>>
>>92736551
Are you trying to sell me Bolt Action or an Iphone?
The starters are quite expensive, though I'm spoiled by how cheap SAGA is and I don't know how this game scales/how big armies you field in it most of the time.
>>
>>92736491
It’s wayyyy cheaper than anything GW and nobody’s stopping you from using cheap Tamiya 1/76 stuff. You don’t have to use the Warlord stuff.
>>
>>92737029
So, the siege of Budapest. You do know that the Russians liked to use SMG platoons in urban combat, right?
>>
>>92736491
You can usually get those starter boxes for like 40% off you just gotta know where to look

Try boardingschoolgames. I haven't checked that site in like a year, admittedly, but it had warlord starter sets for a steep discount. And of course, it's 28mm WW2, you don't have to buy from Warlord. Lots of people make them, Perry and WGA come to mind and their cheap as fuck per mini compared to warlord
>>
>>92739945
>I don't know how this game
It's designed for platoon sizes so about 30 guys + support weapon teams if you'd like and a tank + transport vehicle is more than you'll ever need
>>
>>92740229
why are you replying to me, I obviously know that.

>>92736229
this guy needs to crack open a history book, end war, they were churning out cheap smgs for errybody, not to mention assault rifles for Germans to paper over lack of training
>>
>>92740699
Re-read the chain. I asked the dipshit for evidence of his claim that units could be ahistorically outfitted with all SMGs and your reply implied that you were him.
>>
>>92741034
ah, I thought the 'a' was a typo, and you were asking which historical units could get it
>>
>>92741243
All good, especially as we can now agree that Mr. ‘history lover’ is full of shit.
>>
>>92741604
yep, russian smg spam is a 2legit2quit.

I'd kill to see things like chaplains/naval observers etc. get minis.
>>
>>92740533
>I’ll see your 1500 pts of Brit Airborne with their 3 PIATs and field 2x OT-34 flamethrower tanks
>Thanks for showing up
>>
>>92737399
>faster playing than 40K, the worlds most popular wargame
>simple, can have several games in the time it takes for a single game of 40K
>almost no meta
>Fixes first-turn alpha strikes determining the game
>Guaranteed we won’t see troons or faggots shitting it up
I’m going to assume you’re a hateful baiter, a mindless hater, or a serial public masturbator.
>>
>>92742028
You mentioned 40k first broski
>>
>>92742028
>almost no meta
because the army lists are 1/10th of what 40k has so theres not enough options to create as much meta has 40k, but it has meta and what little it has is abused the fuck out of.
>>
>>92742895
Something that’s hopefully changed in 3rd edition. No more MSU order dice spam, price things so historically accurate loadouts are more viable.
>>
make fg42s automatic rifles instead of assault rifles
x faction gets x unit for free also causes issues in events/casual games
>>
>>92742895
What the fuck are you on about? The BA army lists are fucking massive. and they’re not retiring entire ranges from comp gaming because they can’t balance for shit, like GW is.
>>
>>92728407
Top zozzle
Nice dick by the way
>>
>>92728290
Open the book and inside the bolt action cover is just a direct photocopy of the chain of command rules
>>
>>92728290
>What do you want to see in Bolt actions third edition?

1) Not being in 28mm heroic anymore. At the biggest, miniatures for a platoon-scale game should be 15mm, and 6-10mm is better.
2) Remove list-building from the game. You can research and use a historical OrBat for the engagement you're playing, or you can use a representative OrBat from the immediate time period and theatre of operations you're portraying.
3) Remove any and all tournament support. This is not a competitive tournament game. Wargaming tournaments are pure cancer, and if it costs players, then nobody of value was lost.
4) Implement rules which actually reward fighting in historical doctrine. For example, the squad LMG was critically important in every army and every theatre of action. The current rules actively punish you for using a squad LMG. And MMGs are even worse. Fix all of this.
5) *Require* dispersion within squads. No, not cohesion. Dispersion.
6) No more assigning brigade or divisional-level assets to a platoon-scale game. Likewise, it's a platoon-scale game. No more taking minimum-sized platoons in order to maximize support weapons. You get ONE platoon. Period.
7) Require full-sized squads; smaller squads incur automatic morale penalties - if you want to play with understrength units, then they should be treated as though they've already taken casualties.
8) Order dice are capped somewhere in the 7-10 range. Coordinating larger forces is harder, not easier. No more order dice spam.
9) Remove rules based off of cinema and film, like Tiger Fear or Japanese spearmen. The point of a historical game is to portray history, not some shitty propaganda movie from the 1950s.
10) Fire anyone who ever worked for GW, or thinks GW pricing and marketing are good ideas.

In short, I expect a historical wargame from this game that calls itself a historical wargame, rather than a book of steamed shit.
>>
>>92744825
>Fire anyone who ever worked for GW
So… Fire the game’s creators, Rick Priestly and Alessio Cavatore then? Genius, pure genius.
>>
>>92744851
>Fire the game’s creators, Rick Priestly and Alessio Cavatore then

Yes. Every trace of GW must be burned out of historical gaming. Literally, if they will not leave willingly.
>>
>>92728784
I cannot find any reliable sources for ww2 hungarian platoons tho
>>
>>92744825
bro third edition comes out in September you arent getting any of this
>>
>>92744825
This is why I hate historical grogs utter fucking assholes
>>
>>92742028
When a 40k fag says that a game is boring they don't mean the actual game, they mean the culture surrounding the game.
By all measures Bolt Action is a more fun game. It's faster paced, the players are more involved (no sitting there for an hour watching your opponent play), army lists force a variety of units so spam is less prevalent. All these things that 40k actively discourages. But when I was talking to a friend about it recently, he found bolt action boring too and prefers 40k sigmar (even though he refuses to even play those games anymore as he "hasn't been feeling it recently).

They like the fantasy of it. The idea that they're controlling big space marines shooting orks and what not. The game could literally put you to sleep (as I've seen happen to my same buddy before) with how mundane it is with vast periods of downtime for each player. But they can imagine the game to be good.

Warhammer is literally carried with its setting, and it's why warhammer fans aren't wargamers. They don't like wargames, or anything about war for that matter. They like Warhammer, marvel movies, star wars, etc.
>>
>>92744825
All of these suggestions are cancerous
>>
>>92736491
>it's quite expensive
Homie you get 30-40 dudes for like 50 bucks and that's basically all you need to play.
>>
>>92728290
good minis
>>
>>92744825
...so basically turn it into chain of command?
>>
>>92749558
...You know, that's a better idea.
>>
>>92747737
>improving a game in every way is cancer
40kgen is that way. You have to go back.
>>
>>92744825

These are good suggestions, but I think you should also remove the game parts of the game entirely. Instead of playing a game you should read history books out loud over a map and talk about how the historical battle went. After all, gameplay can only affect historical accuracy negatively (ie. the wrong side may win).
>>
>>92745816
Wise words, I agree. Speaking as someone who plays or has played medieval historicals (Retinue), Battletech, 40K, Flames of War, Bolt Action, WHFB and more, the lure of 40K is the setting and the power fantasy. But by god 10e 40K is a crazy, bloated mess with all its special rules, trap card type gotchas and endless rerolls and exploding 6’s. And literally none of it makes the game better than it was 20 years ago.
BA is definitely the best choice for a simple game IMHO, perfect balance between rivet counting and actual playability.
>>
Unlimited range using range bands to determine to hit difficult instead of a fixed range.
>>
>>92744902
Modern woke gaming needs a retard pride flag so people like you can fly your colours in public.
>>
>>92744825
Why not develop your own ruleset using these philosophies if you feel that strongly about it?
>>
>>92750182
>defends GW
>thinks he isn't the woke one
>>
>>92751027
The suggestion to remove Priestly simply because he worked for GW long ago is asinine. I hate GW but what they have become did not occur under his watch.
Cavatore can go fuck himself though.
>>
Holocaust mechanics
>>
>>92728290
A bunch, but it is all a moot discussion since the new rules have been finalised by now.
>>
>>92751323
...I'm listening
>>
>>92751218
What about the other 9 suggestions? You know, the things that would make Bolt Action into a historical game, since it's advertised as a historical game?
>>
>>92751519
Bolt Action isn't a historical wargame and shouldn't be made into one. It's 40k with better initiative mechanics and a WW2 skin, and that's all it's supposed to be. Historical games are for boomer fags. Bolt Action is made to be actually fun. Nobody who matters wants it to be made into just another shitty historical wargame for 50+ year olds in a basement somewhere.
>>
>>92751519
>1) Not being in 28mm heroic anymore.
You are free to play the game at any scale you want already.
>2) Remove list-building from the game. You can research and use a historical OrBat for the engagement you're playing
How to assign points values for that though? What if someone wants to play Coldstream Guards and bring Cuckoo?
>3) Remove any and all tournament support.
Tournament support makes no difference to the core ruleset, you are always going to have tournaments, get used to it.
>4) The current rules actively punish you for using a squad LMG. And MMGs are even worse. Fix all of this.
Big agree.
>5) *Require* dispersion within squads.
Make it an option, sure.
>6) No more assigning brigade or divisional-level assets to a platoon-scale game.
Unless there's a historical engagement where this happened so some rivet counter can play the 'ackcherly' card...
>Likewise, it's a platoon-scale game. No more taking minimum-sized platoons in order to maximize support weapons. You get ONE platoon. Period.
Balance issues. One platoon of Waffen-SS is not the same as one platoon of Russian meatshields.
>7) Require full-sized squads; smaller squads incur automatic morale penalties
Once again, there are plenty of cases where half-squads could have higher morale and motivation than full ones.
>8) Order dice are capped somewhere in the 7-10 range.
How would this fit with a Russian conscript list? What if there was an OrBat that justified a historically accurate 12-13 die army?
>9) Remove rules based off of cinema and film, like Tiger Fear or Japanese spearmen.
Tiger Fear was already changed so it didn't affect all German tanks any more and meme lists like bamboo spears, well if someone is dumb enough to build that force I say let them play. But in general I think that more options is better if you want to have fun.
>10) Fire anyone who ever worked for GW, or thinks GW pricing and marketing are good ideas.
Stupid idea as discussed already.
>>
>>92751926
>You are free to play the game at any scale you want already.
As a practical matter, that's not remotely true and you damn well know it.

I'm ambivalent about most of the rest, but I completely agree about getting rid of tourneys. They do nothing but promote WAAC players and play styles, and I want both of those things out of the hobby forever.
>>
>>92751934
played it in 15mm and its fine, just required casualty markers because we were using guys based for FOW. why do you think wouldn't it work? if anything its better at 15mm because the ranges felt closer to what they should be
>>
>>92751971
Go to an LGS blind with 15mm minis and say you're there to play bolt action and see what happens.
>>
>>92750018
Those would not improve it in the slightest though.
>>
>>92744825
>platoon scale in 6-10mm
glad you lead with this retarded bullshit so I knew the basis of your opinions is merely contrarianism with absolutely zero actual gaming experience and didn't have to bother reading the rest
>>
>>92751988
Go to an LGS blind and you’re not guaranteed to even get a game. Solution is the same either way, bring two armies.
>>
>>92751988
>he doesn’t have friends he plays with at home and relies on pickup games at his LGS
I am Jack’s complete lack of surprise.
>>
flames of war is better
>>
>>92752489
Does FoW's website still redirect you to firefox update scams lol?
>>
>>92752489
Maybe once upon a time. I ended up dropping it when one sniper with a rifle became capable of paralysing entire platoons with a single shot in 1st edition. I got the 2nd ed rulebook for free because I had done some articles for the website but the damage was done.
>>
>>92752534
that was 20 years ago…
>>
>>92751988
All non-40k wargames are not a pick up game kind of thing. Especially historicals, they’re 1/100th the popularity of Warhammer and even that is subdivided even further amongst historical periods. You either have a club/friends to play with or you own 2 armies
>>
>>92752807
>having friends who think Bolt Action is a good game worth playing
No thanks. I hang around a better class of people than that.
>>
>>92752838
Let’s be honest, you have no friends outside the people on 4chan and your mom
>>
>>92728290
my friends are trying to lure me into, just skimmed rulebook
I d like to see historical accurate corrections like:
nerf of ridiculous long spigot mortar range for Churchill AVRE, had effective range about 80y
allowed pistols for some teams (MGs, Flamethrowers)
empty Flamethrowers should then stay on tale instead counting as destroyed, what a fucking retardation
no first strike in hth combat for attackers, maybe if defender is heavily pinned that could be excused, realistically it should be simultaneous
nerf of vehicle's MGs, they typically were magazines feed and only one guy crewed it, plus visibility was worse than in open
maybe some special ammo for vehicles?
using HE templates, but for example missed mortars shells magically dissapear
no infantry grenades?
plenty more small irritating stuff and there might be more after I give it a try and play

some good stuff worth adapting into other games at least
on side note while sculpts are nice, I hate passionately that scale, pistol shoting at about 4 guys length worth? ridiculous
>>
>>92737376
simply should be sniper immune, any guy from team would be able to use it; heck, some guy from normal infantry squad should be able to fill in and operate it normally, fucking basic infantry training; maybe that would be enough
>>
>>92751519
History fucking sucked. Wars were never meant to be balanced affairs of two equally matched armies slugging it out. If you applied the kind of logic most """historical wargamers""" want in their army men fights, then there would be endless bitching about how unbalanced everything is.
You either get realism or balance in historical settings. Pick one.
>>
>>92753526
2 points: some vehicles, and the AT guns, do get different ammo types for different jobs, typically an AT round and an HE option. If given an AMBUSH order, you have to declare whatvtype of shell is loaded when that order is given. No picking what is convenient in the moment. For hand to hand, the rules are usually assuming a surprise attack where some guys get bayonetted right away, taken out with a grenade, or were still in firing position from trying to defend with a reaction shot, and the survivors of that initial blow strike back. However, when chargibg against a unit behind a barricade, both side do fight simultaneously as the obstacle stalls the charge enough to give the defenders time to properly engage in melee.
>>
>>92728422
>always

It's vaguely based on the 3rd edition 40k (and who was a teen back then, is mid-end thirty now).
BA is aimed at those guys. They have a family by now, and might have fond memories about tabletop wargaming, and BA will feel like home for them in a way.
In comparison, modern 40k (and the last couple of editions) has next to nothing to do with bolt action, rule wise.
I really don't see how someone used to 8th, 9th or 10th edition of 40k will think bolt action a good alternative for 40k
>>
>>92729079
Plain wrong. Squads were given appropriate arms to fulfill the job if the company stash allowed it. At least that's how the Germans did it. They would sometimes hand in their k98s and get a looted ppsh for an assault, just to hand it back afterwards.
>>
>>92734596
For plastics, there sadly is
>>
>>92740206
Tamiya does not do anything in 1/76. Besides that 1/76 is the wrong scale, you either want 1/56 or 1/48 depending on how heroic scale your minis are.
If you want to play with smaller scales, you would need to find opponents with armies in that scale too
>>
>>92740350
Perry and WGA are both great, but their offers for ww2 is fairly limited.
Perry has what? 3 boxes of infantry for the desert theater and WGA has a very specific German unit, and Italians and partisans. And those for that Brits Vs German sentry game boxes.
All nice minis, but if you want an army with support weapons, or any other nation at all, there is nothing besides warlord on the market.
>>
>>92728290
Waifu mascot objective markers, big tiddy milkmaid, big tiddy wac signals tommeh, big tiddy lulubelle and a lost sootcovered German child for ussr players
>>
>>92744825
>The point of a historical game is to portray history, not some shitty propaganda movie from the 1950s.

But anon, BA is a game that aims to be the recreation of those early, silly action war movies about ww2.
>>
>>92744825
>make Bolt Action serious

Fun police alert
This is not the point of warlord or flames if waror saving private ryan or vietnam war movies with great soundtracks
Play a gmt hex and counter gme, they are great simulations
>>
>>92756109
Hollywood historicals is a great goal for finishing a wargame project

Add autistic altetnate rules later/ thread
>>
>>92756156
If it isn't going to represent history, then it shouldn't be advertising itself as a historical wargame. Simple as.
>>
>>92756336
They absolutely say they aim to recreate those movies and comic books they themselves grew up with.
If you want serious historical things in your game, the rules allow that if you have a like-minded opponent. If not, maybe chains of command or other games might be more to your taste.
There absolutely is a spot for historicalite games like BA, FoW or Saga. And there is absolutely a spot for actually accurate games and simulations.
And if you know what you prefer, you'll find a game for you.
>>
>>92756402
>And there is absolutely a spot for actually accurate games and simulations.
Except no there really isn't. Real history is boring and stupid and sucks and games are supposed to be fun. No one actually plays history games, and those aren't the people who should be in the gaming community anyway.
>>
>>92756422
These games exist, and some people seem to enjoy them. And you are right, i don't think these are fun, but if someone likes that stuff... What would I care.
But if you read the description of bolt action on the warlord website, you really shouldnt expect historical accuracy, even if they call it the "most accessible historical game".
>>
File: IMG_20170408_114503905.jpg (3.01 MB, 4608x2592)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
>>92756471
>even if they call it the "most accessible historical game"
Entirely unironically, it's this sort of shit that I think is the actual problem. It's poor advertising. It's not a historical wargame. I like it, and it's just not a historical. It has nothing to do with history other than a thin veneer of appearance. The fact that they decide to advertise Bolt Action *AS* a historical wargame, and then people get upset when it's not actually a historical wargame, should be the most predictable outcome in the gaming industry short of GW raising prices.

And yet people get confused and upset when historical gamers, looking for a historical wargame, come to the game that calls itself "the most accessible historical game", and get mad when there's not actually any meaningful history in the game. Well OBVIOUSLY they're going to be upset. I'd be upset too if I wanted ice cream, bought a cold package from the grocer that was labeled "ice cream", I got home and took a spoonful expecting to taste ice cream, and it turned out to be broccoli. That's the experience Bolt Action gives to historical gamers.

Fuck, I love playing the game, but I can at least understand why they're upset. The way people here are blaming the historical nerds for being mad about this is mind bogglingly idiotic, even for here.
>>
>>92756336
It's impressionistic like any mass produced game. You follwo th Warlord steps a through b and c add a wash flock and varnish and you're away. Its a good launchpad. Hail caesar and black powder have their dna in warmaster, funny how one is considered the bees knees and not the other
>>
>>92756774
Your entire critique is based on your interpretation of the words "historical wargame" in a longer text that makes pretty clear that it's not a simulation
>>
File: 7r3Req8.png (51 KB, 548x1874)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>92757136
It's not a critique. It's a statement of fact. Words mean things. Don't use words you don't intend. That's one of the most basic ground rules of advertising. What historical nerds are experiencing with Bolt Action is no different than the old Red/Blue meme. Nobody blames person in the meme for getting upset for being promised Blue and being given Red. Nobody should blame a historical gamer for being told Bolt Action is a historical game and then being given not a historical game. Even if the historical gamers should be less fucking histrionic like this guy: >>92744825

>Anecdotally, I think another reason is because historical gamers will hear "there's historicals being played at the LGS", and get excited and happy because they have people to play with, and get there and find out it's Bolt Action which, we've just established, isn't actually a historical game at all. So they get even more mad because they had hope that their hobby wasn't dying and the they're disappointed that it actually is.
>>
>>92755947
>typically an AT round and an HE option
that's basic, I meaned like HEAT and Sabot

>>92755947
>when chargibg against a unit behind a barricade, both side do fight simultaneously
today had some small demo, 500p I believe, had such situation; turned out your bigger unit is destroyed when casualties are 0:1 against you - fucking ridiculous, I would expect loser to beign pushed back, maybe some sort morale tests to see if some guys surrender?
also game seems to deteriorate into shootouts on both sides of same wall, another dubious situations - no one would do so in reality with frag grenades
as some sort of beer and pretzel game it is ok
have yet to check full game with HE and other more special units, maybe it is salvagable
>>
>>92758115
>as some sort of beer and pretzel game it is ok
That is all any game should be. If you want a simulation of real life go do things IRL. People who want detailed games are wrong.
>>
>>92758209
lol, we woud be still playing war using tarot cards then
>>
>>92751218
I’d say it’s even funnier knowing that Rick used a WW2 game as the bases for 3rd of 40K, time is a flat circle after all
But yeah imagine saying a game studio needed to remove someone just because they worked for blizzard lmao

Also why is everyone engaging are local /hwg/ troll? The guy shits up that thread and gets told to beat it, just do the same here lads
>>
>>92756071
WGA also has an upgrade sprue for their WW1 French to turn them into early war WW2.
>>
>>92728290

give me unit, division or outfit special rules combined with nation special rules. I dont want to be playing US infantry with the same feel with rangers or airborne, i can just pick a stubborn veteran unit from the US infantry and just play it like airborne unit. Shit has to be super thematic and i will jump back to Bolt action.

Also the shotgun statblock sucks, makes no fucking sense. They better change that too.
>>
File: Useless combat medic.jpg (622 KB, 2976x3968)
622 KB
622 KB JPG
>>92728290
I really love medics, so I'd love for them to be able to do more and have a larger role other than a cheap order dice, and occasionally saving a model. Except for when they are hit by HE. Or exceptional damage. Or dies to melee. Please cut them some slack.

Machine gun teams are also pretty meh, they are a cheap order dice which is fine. But some way for them to dish out more pins, or slow enemy advance would be great and thematic.

And then there are a couple of smaller things. Like how it is really weird a bazooka team doesn't have any HE, if the enemy doesn't have armour, they become a side-grade to a sniper team. Or how grenades, which were really important for advancing into enemy cover, yet just doesn't exist in BA.

But honestly, the game is already plenty fun. A tightining of the sometimes wordy rules text like how you hit and destroy a tank or armoured vehicle and a couple of small additions is all I'd want for the next 7 or 8 years.

Pic related, it is my combat medic Brauer before I painted him. I always bring to my games, but he can't roll 6s to save his life. Except that one time he saved 4 guys in a row. Even added a little "01/01/24"to his helmet as a momento to the one time he actually did good.
>>
Artillery, mortars and HE should scatter.
Fixing and defining the terrain rules to be more readable.
Give every major army a book this edition.
>>
>>92728303
>it would be good if people who play the same game as me felt bad
millenial brain damage
>>
>>92728422
jesus what a stupid opinion
go outside and talk to people sometimes, you can't just get all your opinions from the people on the internet, they all have some weird agenda they're trying to sell you
>>
>>92744825
>historical means no fun allowed
this is why you haven't had a game in 5 years
>>
>>92768111
If your fun involves a deliberate lie to misrepresent your product, then your dun is bad, wrong, and should not exist. Call Bolt Action what it is, a 40k clone with a WW2 skin that makes no pretense of ignoring history when it's convenient.

All you have to do is be honest about what the game is, anon. Why is that so hard for you?
>>
>>92768256
>If your fun involves a deliberate lie to misrepresent your product, then your dun is bad, wrong, and should not exist.
Yet you're still posting, you should hold yourself to that.

I have no doubt in my mind that this attention seeking back and forth is the goal here otherwise everything about your manner would be completely different. You are no defender of the hobby, very much the opposite.
>>
>>92728290
Mobile Mastrubation Machines (tm) for the Wermacht.
>>
File: med2.png (4.77 MB, 1887x2280)
4.77 MB
4.77 MB PNG
>>92765315
Nice medic, just saw an excuse to post my own Im working on, carry on.
>>
>>92770306
That is a nice looking medic, I hope he rolls many 6s for you!
>>
>>92755986
Huh. Whenever I saw BA being compared to 40k, I always figured people meant the latest editions. If it's really more old school, it might just be up my alley
>>
>>92765315
>Like how it is really weird a bazooka team doesn't have any HE, if the enemy doesn't have armour, they become a side-grade to a sniper team.
heh, had situation in demo game: my bazooka exploded running German transporter, vet grenadiers disembarked with just one killed (how the fuck saves are supposed to work inside exploding fast moving vehicle?), then had 3 turns slow slugfest over wall with my officer team, plus sniping them from bazooka; this is situation my hq died after assault as shooting at stationary spit range target seemed to have near zero effect.
so I'd like to add to hit modifiers - easier if target stationary, minuses if moving fast, maybe advance lower or none as default (game is already shitfest of rolling 6s and 6s after 6s - I remember times 7 was 4+ after 6)

easy fix for machineguns is to give them if stationary +1 to hit as they could walk bullets with higher fire rate and tracers; and sniper immunity but no from heavy wp damage; while tank's ones get -1 as one man crewed, often magazine feed
>>
>>92752701
I wrote to Phil directly and politely about it, expressing my concerns from both a realism and gameplay perspective, and basically was told to fuck off. That was the day I went from a FoW article author and brand promoter to yet another person with a couple of FoW armies gathering dust in a cupboard.
>>
>>92756336
>not knowing the difference between historically accurate and historically themed
Oh, you!
>>
>>92774736
You can play another game with those models, it's not illegal
>>
>>92768256
>a deliberate lie to misrepresent your product
You seem to be confused and enraged by the stark difference between ‘historical wargame’ and ‘historical simulation’ you rampaging masturbation-addicted gallumphing fucktard.
If BA isn’t a ‘historical wargame’ then define what is is without referring to history.
>>
>>92774929
Fascism Prevention Simulator
>>
>>92773872
Look up how a bazooka HEAT round works, it’s not like in the movies. An open-topped transport like a Hanomag, hit in the passenger compartment, would have an extremely good change of only killing one or two people.
>>
>>92774919
I just went on to other games. Sometimes I look at my collection of dead games and models and shudder at how much money I’ve pissed away on them all.

>>92774946
Hurr good one retard.
>>
>>92756774

Bolt action is fun, but its literally WW2 if all your knowledge of it came from movies.

Right down to sculps based on actor/characters from famous ww2 movies.
>>
>>92728290
I'd like to see them finally move the metaplot along a bit.
>>
>>92728290
space aliens
>>
>>92774976
Literally just find a ww2 rules set you like
>>
>>92774952
yeak, ok about HEAT (maybe), I'm annoyed with them safely disembarking from fast going vehicle - rules forbid such move, yet they can if vehicle is destroyed; should get another d6 hits or something from broken bones
welp, I might admit so simplified wargame triggers my autism too much, also I liked Chain of Command better, so there is bias;
satisfactory way might be to incorporate some things from Bolt and other games to make own house rules set anyway
>>
>>92777247
Yeah I think the timing is just right to enter the "return of the kaiser" arc.
>>
how do I not become a greybeard
>>
>>92758115
There is rules for HEAT. Regular ap shells lose pen if it travels too far. HEAT shells don't.
>>
>>92783816
Kill yourself now. It's win win. You don't become a greybeard, and there's one less Bolt Action faux """gamer""" in the world
>>
>>92784438
I love that a game makes you seethe so hard
Your misery is like a delicious bread
>>
>>92749160
this
>>
>>92783816
Shave.
>>
>>92783816
Maintain a healthy social life and don’t spend all of your free time interacting with /tg/ hobbies
>>
>>92784438
Did you walk in on Rick Priestly and Alessio Cavatore double-teaming your mum or something? You seem to have a serious mental problem, if not.
>>
>>92744825
>1
utterly meaningless distinction
>2
this is a wargame not a reenactment
>3
I get the sentiment but its impossible to police how people play the game
>4
hard agree MGs are hot ass and that needs fixing
>5 any player worth their salt does this to not get pie plated
>6 kinda agree, but tehre needs to be systems allowing more troops than one platoons worth
>7
no that's retarted
>8
no that's very retarted
>9
"um akshually giant tanks aren't scary" its an inconsequential mechanic
>10
no that's unfathomably retarted
>>
File: d7e89.jpg (61 KB, 500x652)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>92744825
>1-4
Yes please. Especially the part about using historical doctrine to drive game rules, and getting rid of "competitive" play.
>5
I get it, but the parking lot effect is more of a problem in FoW then BA.
>6-7
I get where you're coming from, but these go too far the other way. But I agree that people doing tiny platoons in order to maximize support weapons needs to be killed off as a strat.
>8
Again, too far, but capping orders available would help a bunch of things. Making large expensive units which only gives a single order more viable, at least.
>9
Yeah, no thanks. BA can be MORE historical, but some acceptance of WW2 memes is ok. Plus I want my US Marines to be able to gun down hordes of spear wielding Jap civvies in an Invasion of Japan scenario.
>10
Ok, calm down son. Not necessary, as long as Warlord doesn't use GW marketing and release techniques, and doesn't try to become "the face of historical wargaming" the way GW did with 40k. Just being FROM GW isn't a deal breaker. It's ACTING like GW that's a problem, not simply having worked for them.
>>
>>92751934
>No answer to any of the other points
Okay little guy
>>
>>92794116
>as long as Warlord doesn't use GW marketing and release techniques, and doesn't try to become "the face of historical wargaming" the way GW did with 40k.
I have bad news for you anon...
>>
>>92794976
And that's how the thread ends. Warlord is doing everything that made us all hate GW, and the majority of people are applauding it. You all WANT another Games Workshop. You want another company to ruin historicals like GW ruined wargaming, because you want to drag everyone else down to your level of misery.

You're disgusting.
>>
>>92795138
Go play ASL then you autistic manbaby, holy shit.
>>
>>92795138
>Warlord is doing everything that made us all hate GW
Gay, female, nonwhite and trans representation in WW2 when…?
>>
>>92795138
>You all WANT another Games Workshop. You want another company to ruin historicals like GW ruined wargaming, because you want to drag everyone else down to your level of misery.
Yes. I do. If it hurts people like you, I hope Warlord destroys the entire historicals hobby. They're doing nothing wrong. Cope, seethe, and kill yourself.
>>
>>92795138
What exactly are they doing?
>>
>>92771004
It’s written by the same guy who wrote 40k 3rd
>>
>>92795138
they aren't going to "ruin historicals" nor did GW "ruin wargaming"
this might be true for you, because you're a hysterical crybaby faggot that nobody wants to hang around with, but that's a feedback loop of self-fulfilling faggotry, but somebody like me that's simply averagely likable and socially capable has no end of choice
warlord wouldn't make you assmad and spammy if you weren't such an unlikable cunt and you wouldn't be such an unlikable cunt if warlord didn't make you assmad and spammy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.