[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714943085979.png (1.26 MB, 1936x858)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB PNG
Statistics Edition

>NEW UA
https://media.dndbeyond.com/compendium-images/ua/ph-playtest8/gHvtmY50loGLgQUb/UA2023-PH-Playtest8.pdf
>NEW UA
https://media.dndbeyond.com/compendium-images/ua/ph-playtest7/tsgOb3llF22AL0nU/UA2023-PH-Playtest7.pdf

>New Errata
https://dnd.wizards.com/dndstudioblog/sage-advice-book-updates

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Trove
The Trove Vault (seed, please!):
bit<dot>ly/2Y1w4Md

>Resources:
https://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous Thread: >>92712327

Are there races you hate seeing people bring to the table, /5eg/?
>>
>>92730739
>TQ
Dark elves, of course
>>
>>92730739
>TQ
ASSimar. For some reason everytime somebody brings one, they are insufferable faggots. I don't get it.
>>
File: IMG_1015.png (98 KB, 400x617)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
Rate my big monkey out of 10.
He throws CR 1/2 Apes and CR 0 Baboons
>>
>>92730739
>TG
Drow, Tieflings, and any small-sized race other than Gnomes in my own specific homebrew setting where the gnomes are Arcanum's gnomes.
>Drow
I've been playing since mid 2E, and I have never once seen a drow player be anything but a low-effort Drizzt or Viconia knockoff and I'm sick of it.
>Tieflings
Every single one plays as a "Disaster Gay" as the tiktok kids put it, and it is always cringe-inducing.
>Smalls
They're either just playing a Kender from Dragonlance or "I'm just a smol bean don't hurt me" woobie types.
>>
>>92730820
do people play with you willingly? if so, for how long?
>>
>>92730851
>nogames projecting again
like clockwork
>>
>>92730820
>"Disaster Gay"
I had to look this up and I still can't tell what it is. Just some melodramatic queen who still acts better than everyone? And who the fuck is playing small races as "smol beans"? I'd figure napoleon complex is the most common.
>>
>>92730872
nta but the "smalls" part felt weird.
I haven't even been playing for that long, as the smalls I've played with have been
> halfling paladin of vengeance
literally just a moral dude who went adventuring with his wood elf paladin friend (another pc), friend got killed, halfling became somewhat more somber yet not really edgy.
>halfling thief rogue
speedy thief type, kind of too quiet so player got bored and switched to a tiefling druid (although the only time the tiefling came into roleplay was when other pcs teased him for "being related to demons")
>kobold great old one warlock
somehow manages to be unnerving and intimidating while also being cute and ridiculous
>>
>TQ
All of the fucking unbelievably retarded shit races that have no real reason to exist like loxodons and similar. Stuff that's 100% just some insane furfag's OC. I'm down with beastman races, fuck I'm even down with kitsune and catgirls, but when something like a loxodon hits the table you know the guy's a full blown fucking diaperfur.
Nu-firbolgs. Which is to say, firbolgs in general, because no one gave a shit about firbolgs until shitical roll. They were better off unplayed.
Any small race besides dwarves and VERY RARELY goblins if I actually trust the player.
"If I actually trust the player" extends to tieflings.

Frankly I think everything would be better off as humans only with maybe an elf or dwarf here and there but I'm willing to begrudgingly deal with other things because it most often does not matter.
>>
>>92730820
Can I play Kat the Cat? He's small (dwarf size and shape) but you can't hurt him I reflavoured Second Wind as him quickly licking his wounds
>>
>>92730958
Dwarves are medium size, though.
>>
>>92730964
fuck
>>
>>92730958
no
>>
I can't think of any archdevils or demon lords who are no taller than a dwarf. They're all human-sized at a minimum, but most often quite a bit larger still. Why is that?
>>
>>92730986
They like being tall. Being short is for imps.
>>
>>92730958
>>92730956
Why do ""people"" think dwarves are small?
>>
>>92730739
>TQ
Any flying race, specifically winged tieflings, played a low level low stakes campaign with a powergamer warlock who went out of his way to abuse flight in every situation.

Also girls playing halfling healers, they all have the same fantasy of being tiny healing pixies then get upset when they don't really do anything in battle or get to roleplay being a child often enough.
>>
>>92731014
Being small doesn't necessitate the Small categorization. They're still stumpy little dudes and that makes them look uncool. Dwarves have the unique capacity to overcome their condition but they'll never look cool standing side by side with a human against a dragon because of the height diff. Dwarves surrounded by other dwarves can definitely be cool, though.
That is the full litmus test of whether a race is cool, honestly. Make them a fighter, embody their racial traits and cultural aesthetics in their armor, and mentally pit them against a fire-breathing dragon in an action shot. Stupid looking tiny animals and gnomes and halflings and similar straight up cannot pull it off. Females of any race need bikini armor to pull it off but still need a human silhouette.
>>
>>92731043
Honestly, the healer shit is on you. If you don't make it clear that healing in 5e doesn't work like how most noobs think it does, don't blame the people who don't have any experience. Blame the people who are teaching them. Whenever a new player says they want to play a healer, I give them some potions and tell them they are now the party healer regardless of class. They still tend to play bards or clerics, but at least they aren't wasting resources on cure wounds or some shit.
>>
File: 1628101896404.jpg (259 KB, 1200x935)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
>>92731116
Nah, they look cool.
>>
Anyone have a printup of 5e stealth rules? We have a player who is stealthing all the time and its getting annoying.
>>
>>92730739
>TQ
I haven't had enought games to have an un-favourite race, but I'd hate to DM a warforged.
I do hate bards tho
>>
>>92730739
>Are there races you hate seeing people bring to the table, /5eg/?
I'd say that only Bugbears really stand out. The people who pick it tend to just be after the damage bonus and rarely remember to put any consideration into why their Bugbear would be an adventurer.
Really I just hate it when races seem to lack any proper place or source in the world for PCs to end up coming from, because it just ends up with characters that feel paper-thin.
>>
>>92731116
>medium=small
Do you have the dumb?
>>
>>92731121
>Honestly, the healer shit is on you.
true, plus often people who "want to play healer" it's just because they view it as an easier way to contribute without much risk of fucking up in combat, and with other players pretty much telling them what to do and when
>>
>>92731116
>Females of any race need bikini armor to pull it off
lmao what a retarded coombrain
>>
What music would an warforged bard even sing? Metal?
>>
>>92731248
>rarely remember to put any consideration into why their Bugbear would be an adventurer.
I think DMs should ask "why did [character] become an adventurer?" more often. make the players at least grind two neurons together to come up with any kind of justification
>>
>>92730820
>Every single one plays as a "Disaster Gay"
I'm playing with a tiefling and two of my players in my game are running tieflings, and none of them are... okay, one has it bad for a sexy devil woman who popped up, slayed some demons – saving the PC's life as a child – and dipped, inspiring her to ape the aesthetic and become a cool devil archer herself. But she's functional pretty much all the time, including around other attractive women. If the player hadn't given an "oh yeah, she definitely has a type" or "some people have an early awakening" comment here and there you wouldn't even know there was a gay angle to it instead of just hero worship.
I am really looking forward to reuniting this character and her backstory NPC though.
>>
>>92731277
>warforged bard sing
depends on how you flavor it. if it's a standard "wood and stone" warforged, maybe harmonics made of mechanical sounds and grinding rocks
if it's full robot, maybe techno or electronic
>>
>>92731306
Speak and spell cacophony.
>>
File: images (28).jpg (11 KB, 225x225)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>92731277
>>
>>92731277
https://youtu.be/U5KOgaE3FG4
>>
>>92731116
>they'll never look cool standing side by side with a human against a dragon because of the height diff.
>Females of any race need bikini armor to pull it off but still need a human silhouette.
These are (You) issues. If you don't think a dwarf swinging an axe twice his size at a dragon 100x his size in a duel is cool, your brain is irredeemably fucked.
>>
>>92731169
it's better if you dont use raw 5e stealth rules unless you wanna lose iq at the sheer stupidity and instead adjudicate using common sense
>invisibility still works when someone can see invisible things
>>
>>92731262
I usually tell the newbs that paladins are the best healers because of lay on hands. Yes, I know it's life or twilight cleric, but they don't know. It puts the newb in a position of leadership, and shows that healing isn't a primary role in 5e.
>>
>>92731277
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj68q1QO1DQ
>>
>>92731560
good idea
>>
>>92731452
Easily the stupidest fucking "ruling" Crawford has ever made. It sounds like a bug you'd find in a badly-made CRPG.
>>
>>92731642
imo it's the "a glass pane gives full cover" ruling
>>
File: qm8iubkqmmlc1.jpg (1.06 MB, 2500x4951)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
Do your parties tend towards being generic or subversive, serious/edgy or clowns, straight-forward or out-of-the-box problem solvers, etc.?
>>
>>92731740
Adventurers are outsiders, so should be a bunch of weirdos (usually). Even the straightest edge paladin suffers from a sort of madness.
>>
>>92730739
Have you thanked the party casters yet, /5eg/?
>>
>>92731782
Not until you post a better image.
>>
>>92731782
>no milkers
Fuck off
>>
>>92731740
Kobold warlock: out-of-the-box, kind of evil and cruel but intelligent enough to cooperate well with the party.
Dragonborn wizard: barely roleplays, mostly just fireballs or does whatever others suggest.
Tiefling druid: straighforward, serious.
Human fighter/bard: out-of-the-box, a bit of a clown
Human cleric: straightforward
Human rogue: mostly straightforward, although very into the "kleptomaniac rogue" thing (not in a disruptive way though)
Half-elf ranger: very straightforward
Elf monk: Subversive clown
Elf wizard (me): not sure, he can be pretty "ends justify the means", but also very "I really don't -want- to do this, but it's what must be done". Party role is more of a follower than a leader unless things really go against his faith.
>>
>>92731782
best version of this shitty post
>>
File: 1681359989420147.jpg (358 KB, 700x394)
358 KB
358 KB JPG
>>92731857
>Nine PCs
>>
File: IMG_8707.jpg (357 KB, 850x1189)
357 KB
357 KB JPG
>>92731145
Might be the coolest official DnD party in history
>>
>>92731876
sort of west marches, I don't think we've ever had any session with all 9.
We've had a couple with 8 and they've been a pain.
Normally it's somewhere between 4 and 6
>>
Do people make statblocks for all their NPCs? I don't actually think my party is likely to end up in combat with every second passerby, but I prefer having the stats and skills noted down, maybe a piece of equipment or two and soon I end up with a whole statblock for almost everyone with a name.
>>
>>92732025
I usually just use generics unless the person has some special skill or quality that I think merits mechanical description.
>>
>>92731116
>arbitrary 'litmus test' presented autistically
>females of any race need bikini armor to pull it off
yeah no you're retarded
>stupid looking smalls can't pull it off
partly true but it's really a genre + context thing. kinda redundant to say that in the style where halflings aren't cool fighters, halflings aren't cool fighters. the cool thing about imagination is there are lots of angles to explore, sometimes to surprising effect
>>
>>92732039
What useful generics are there besides like Commoner and Guard? Or do you build/maintain your own collection?
>>
>>92732025
renamed generics unless its a special lad.
>>
>>92732061
Knight, Mage, Archer, Priest, and so on.
>>
File: IMG_1024.jpg (1.81 MB, 1063x2020)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
>>92732025
>all their NPCs
No way. Its best to use existing statblocks. If I get bored I might tweak something to make a character a little more unique. the invisibility sword only has 3 charges left after being looted
>>
/5eg/, what's something that could cause an wizardry/sorcery student to lose his magic? I want to make a wild magic barbarian
>>
>>92732267
lab experiment gone wrong, pissing off Mystra, an unknown side-effect of being feebleminded a little too long, a wild magic sorcerer's magic went a little too wild and burned out, got hooked on some new drug that is later discovered to burn out one's capacity for magic, fucked a creature that was the antithesis for what his ancestor fucked for magical powers and it cancelled out.
>>
File: The_Abyss.jpg (110 KB, 640x311)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
What is the worse evil alignment? Which spreads the most misery and is the greatest threat to the material plane? Is it LE, NE, or CE?
>>
>>92732267
you got hit with a feeblemind that you never managed to roll off, and instead learned to recover naturally, but the gift of magic never returned.
>>
>>92730739
>Are there races you hate seeing people bring to the table, /5eg/?
For me it's half-elves. Like, play dudes or play elves, don't do this pussy middle-of-the-road shit.
>>
>>92730820
I don't disagree, but how were the Arcanum Gnomes? I never got around to playing it, but Gnomes are one of my personally most hated races and I'd be taking them out of my own in lieu of just making Halflings literal Hobbits. What can possibly make them decent?

>>92730956
Also, this, hard. This is my opinion. They really went way too fucking far with the races in the splats, it's easier to track and less impactful than all the classes and shit split among them in old editions, but fuck me to tears if I see one more Tabaxi I'll scream. I even love well-depicted beastmen, but it just attracts the wrong fucking player for my tastes. Hell, I hinge on saying "PHB and SCAG only" for races, but there's a few you'd miss not including Volo's and then you're right back in this shit. But what's more, if I wasn't just playing with real life friends/acquaintances, I'd be leary on taking it out just as a litmus test to know when they'll be up to some bullshit if left to their own devices. Though, strangely, in my experience some of those people are fine once restricted to more traditional races somehow. But Christ does it boil my blood.
>>
There are several furries among my circles and there have been a bunch of tabaxi players, including me, but funnily enough they've never been the same person.
>>
File: SauronTUE.png (1.62 MB, 1000x1344)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB PNG
>>92732372
Discounting divinities, LE has less destructive goals than the other evil alignments, but is way more likely to succeed, and those successes typically have a far wider impact. Oppression, death camps, fanaticism, organized mass slaughter, and badass outfits are all features of LE. Pic related, for instance, is pure LE. NE would be the next most dangerous. NE tends to be the alignment of liches and undead after all. CE usually has the most destructive goals and pettiest motives, but is also the one with the least amount of power to pull it off owing to their individualist sociopathic natures.
>>
>>92732466
Look, I like the feline agility ability, double speed at no action cost comes up more then you'd think.
>>
>>92732490
Then you got poor NE, Yugoloths get no love.
But don't worry, I'm sure that is all according to their plan somehow.
>>
File: ktnwub2ykgc61.jpg (180 KB, 880x1100)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>92732490
>CE usually has the most destructive goals and pettiest motives, but is also the one with the least amount of power to pull it off owing to their individualist sociopathic natures.
It's more because most of them lack impulse control.
>>
>>92732520
Jimmy from Scary Godmother Halloween Spooktacular would totally be the type to betray his party and be a general nuisance to the other players and DM.
>>
>>92732372
CG is the worst because it's functionally identical to CE.
>>
File: Devil Contract.jpg (1.23 MB, 1600x2437)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>92732508
Neutral evil is better repped by undead anyways. That's how the Pathfinder did it. Devil for LE, demon for CE, and lich for NE.

>>92732578
CG is about freedom, free love, and voluntary mutual aid. It's like what anarchist think society would be like without government. CE is what anarchy would actually be like.
>>
>>92732609
>That's how the Pathfinder did it.
The Wrath of the Righteous vidya, I mean.
>>
>>92732609
Doesn't Pathfinder have those nihilistic daemons? Although yeah, intelligent undead who siphon the life of others to maintain their immortality does fit NE pretty well.
>>
File: 127-i0cx5-a-01.jpg (258 KB, 1000x651)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
>>92732609
If devils were willing to use sex appeal like demons do, maybe they'd get more people to sign their contracts.
>>
Succubi should be demons, so that they could be summoned with Summon Greater Demon.
Imagine how many wizards would die to that.
>>
Does anyone have a link to the 5e playtest? I need to print out the stealth/hiding rules.
>>
Anyone looked over eve of ruin yet? How long did it usually take to get onto 5etools?
>>
>>92732709
They did work with the Succubi for a time didn't they?
>>
>>92731880
Without a doubt. Post more ToD/SoM art.
>>
File: GJDcwv_b0AAj07X.jpg (618 KB, 1500x2000)
618 KB
618 KB JPG
>>92732709
Devils do use sex appeal, they just tend to be generically attractive rather than oozing carnality like succubi/incubi.
>>
>>92732609
>CG is about freedom, free love, and voluntary mutual aid. It's like what anarchist think society would be like without government. CE is what anarchy would actually be like.
Yeah, so, functionally identical.
>>
File: Anna and Grace.jpg (1.13 MB, 1200x1400)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
>>92732717
Oh yeah, they're lumped with Yogoloths now. I keep forgetting that they've been alignment shifted in 5E.
>>
>>92732501
I like being speedy and climby. Once when I was low on spells I sped over and climbed way the fuck up a tree and just shot the enemies from safely out of range with my longbow.
Also with cat flexibility I can do a standing split and lick my own ballsack.
>>
>>92732815
Really are the planar bicycle. Look out CN! They'll be coming for you next.
>>
>>92732372
CE is the most destructive and arguably the biggest threat to the actual continued existence of the universe, but LE is undoubtedly the most dangerous in general since it can function in society and is capable of reason, pragmatism and long term planning. As such it can always present itself as the lesser of two evils or even an outright ally to good aligned forces and then slowly start to undermine and twist it all towards their own goals. Annihilation is hard since everyone is gonna band together to stop you, but corruption is piss easy and far more insidious.
>>
File: Atropus.jpg (26 KB, 225x281)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>92732842
NE can get pretty up there in world ending threats as well though.
>>
>>92732842
I think an alliance of evils is the *most* classic. a smart LE guy strategically unleashing a CE monster. whether it works or whether it eats him varies
>>
>>92732862
Atropus is both LE and NE because somehow its body and head have separate alignments.
>>
>>92732490
>but is also the one with the least amount of power to pull it off owing to their individualist sociopathic natures.
Hence why Lolthite Drow are a huge pain in the ass to deal with, but they never really make for a large-scale threat because they're too busy stabbing each other in the back.
>>
>>92732874
Classically, it's LE leaders and CE mooks.
>>
>>92732892
CE thralls and NE mooks
>>
>>92732875
Reminds me of a joke about how the brain is the most important part of the body "according to the brain".
>>
File: images_44.jpg (31 KB, 452x678)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Anyone use a variant of encumbrance/carry weight rules that simplifies things a bit? An inventory system that they'd suggest? I had a DM use a houserule forever ago about basically counting heavy/encumbering items on a certain "slot" basis I can't quite recall.

Best I can think of offhand is 3+Str+Con mods major items. Armor and shields are 1, heavy armor and heavy weapons are 2, normal weapons 1, light weapons 1/2 or 1/3rd, backpack with 10-20 normal items is 1 or 2, something like that.

My old DM did something simpler with just tracking really heavy shit, but I'm curious. I'm DMing soon and want to have active resource/inventory tracking my group usually ignores or handwaves, but most can't be assed to sit there and add all the individual weights/calculations, most normal characters never have to worry about it RAW anyways, and aside from that I don't want to encourage them to use some digital tracker because I want it all to be as unplugged/paper-based as possible.
>>
>>92732923
The joke I heard was that the anus was the most important, because if it shuts down, you'll die. Proving that you don't need to be smart to get by, you just need to be an asshole.
>>
>>92732892
mm, yeah maybe. I think making organised, 'civilised' evil dominant over just raw elemental nastiness isn't a light choice. it's often LE leaders and NE/CE mooks, with a chance of CE apocalyptic uglies. really depends on scale though
>>
>>92732950
except if your anus shuts down you dont die, you just shit yourself uncontrollably
>>
File: hhhehehe.jpg (35 KB, 500x333)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
So, my party drew 10 cards collectively from the Deck of Many Things today in our campaign.

The only thing that happened was that we lost a Cloak of Protection.
>>
Where do your decks of many things come from? Where are they likely to be found? Are they abandoned in dangerous dungeons? Do high-level ex-adventurers or guild members have them in their magic item collections? Do gods show up and offer to let characters draw from them for shits and giggles? Do the decks just show up of their own will to tempt people?
>>
The Deck of Many Things doesn’t exist in any game I run.
>>
>>92733025
Sounds like your DM really wants to stop DMing, anon.
>>
>>92733068
Nah, it was just for shits and giggles because I'd always joked I really wanted one in the campaign and it's a good fun moment if your group is okay with dealing with the consequences.

>>92733054
In mine, it was the top prize for a carnival "ring the bell" game.
Reason is, magic is outlawed across the land in the campaign. An underground wizard ring runs the carnival, however, and offers magic items (that look like ordinary items) as top prizes, and their games are incredibly rigged such that only magic users (who are cheating) stand a real chance of getting them. Thus, they recruit other wizards to their cause when they go to claim their prizes.
>>
>>92733054
Very rarely if ever do I include the full deck, but scattered cards are great boons to have with the new individual card effects from BoMT. Especially with the Many More deck there's less "fuck your character/the campaign narrative" cards to introduce.
>>
Might be a long shot, but has anyone ever run this campaign from 1shotadventures? If so, thoughts?

https://1shotadventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/The-Sirens-Citadel-5E.pdf
>>
>>92733133
>1 shota ventures
What kinda sites are you trying to get me to look at, anon
>>
>>92733145
>1 shota ventures
kek.

it's just a website with a collection of shorter campaigns, I've never run one before but they all see pretty well written.
>>
Nearly all of my PCs have families and even good relationships with them. Aside from killing/threatening them, what else can I do with these guys?
Some stuff I’ve thought of, tell me if they’re stupid:
>younger sister of PC gets inspired by big bro and runs off with an adventuring band herself
>noble character’s family recalls him to help take down a rival house
>one of PC’s baby twins is taken by a fey in a bargain by his wife, now its archfey warlock
>>
File: F7gzrC2aEAEOwQf.jpg (173 KB, 900x1300)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/1cmrp0h/lets_talk_about_vecna_eve_of_ruin/

They did it. The absolute madlads actually did it. The glorious, 10th anniversary of 5e adventure is a "Go around the multiverse assembling an artifact, but surprise! The real bad guy was manipulating you all along, and now you have done his dirty work!" rugpull, which I have railed against time and time again.
>>
>>92733602
>younger sister of PC gets inspired by big bro and runs off with an adventuring band herself
I will romance your PC's little sister and fuck her silly
>>
File: IMG-20240405-WA0038.jpg (177 KB, 1401x1034)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
Here is the deal,
At the moment my players are enjoying some downtime in "not Turtle Island", spending money, making weapons, researching spells, and just fucking around with the locals, they even bought a new ship for the next adventure. This is the party:
> A tiefling rogue with a carbuncle familiar. Has a ship, wealth and lots of contacts.
> The furryiest babyfur that ever yiff. A bard that constantly baits with horrible stuff.
> A lizard wizard with a hunger for knowledge; seriously, the only player that I have ever had that buys books, ingredients, and instruments for his lab; one of his short term goals is reanimate a very demonic infused skeleton of a dragon they recently slayed.
> Warforged artificer, enjoys making gimmicky weapons and straining the weapon creation rules.
> Local griefer, plays a furry monk, no really an issue, his characters tend to be killed/retired every other session.

The next quest involves helping the local doomsday cult rescue their "prophet" from a well defended fortress.

What kind of reward this cult could be offering to make sense in universe, these guys already have wealth and are somewhat respected.
>>
>DM confirmed that I should prepare a new sheet just in case
i am feeling some sort of way, since i really dont want to lose this one
if my cleric manages to stabilise me, i'll still be underwater, surrounded with enemies, hanging on with 1hp
the only saving grace is that I have enough spell slots to maybe pull through to the surface and get out alive, however i have to keep my cleric safe as well

it going to be a rough session on monday...
>>
>>92734018
How did you end up in that situation?
>>
>>92734055
the gist of it is here >>92718934 along with
>>92719065

losing a year old character with already established party dynamics and plots feels like shit, doubly when it happens twice... from the consequences of the same other player
the fucking "haha, we're 2-0 now!" comment from him after i fell into the water makes me seethe

its so fucking ass having to start over with a new character, still deciding whether to keep playing or just leave the game
>>
File: PXL_20240426_212051683.jpg (324 KB, 2016x1134)
324 KB
324 KB JPG
> Group I know plays D&D
> They invite me to play with them
> Always wanted to give the game a shot, sounds like fun
> They're right at the end (like 1-2 more sessions left) of a long running campaign so I decide to wait until the next one starts to join
> They finish their campaign and take a break
> they never start a new one

> Another group invites me to play with them in a game they play on Discord
> Before I can decide yes or no (I would much rather play in person) their campaign stalls and everyone just seems to lose interest
> One of the members invites me to another one that is about to get started
> It never starts

> Family friend wants to try D&D with a couple of their family members at some point in the future, invites me
> Tell them I am interested, and to get in touch when they want to start playing
> They never get in touch and never start playing

> Another friend DMs a game and asks if I want to play
> Sounds good, next session is on Saturday
> Get in touch with him a few days beforehand to check in and he says a couple people bailed so their game is 'on hold'

I've heard finding groups was a pain in the ass but I didn't realize it would be this much of a struggle just to try playing this damned game.
>>
>>92734589
you will DM
you will organise your own group
you will not play for years
you will master the system
you will want to kill yourself
you will get addicted to the pain
>>
>>92734589
That's rough, buddy.
>>
>>92730820
Only reason I wanna play a tiefling is to play a ancestral guardian barb with infernal constitution

>BPS from raging
>fire, cold. and poison resistance from race + feat

because having a lot of resistances is cool, but so is protecting your friends
>>
>>92734862
See, I'm all about the Kalashtar Bear Totem Barbarian, because to me the only thing better than having all the resistances is not losing them to a failed WIS save.
>>
Dumb question, but I can think of the 5e starter Sets like gygax' old basic dnd ruleset?
>>
>>92735281
Yeah basically
>>
>>92733814
It's not even the real bad guy, you're getting tricked by Vecna's former lieutenant throughout the whole adventure while Vecna himself is in his man cave.
>>
R8 my mothfolk
>>
>>92736090
Bonus action casting a cantrip like poison spray is extremely strong, considering it scales with level. It is poison spray, though, which isn’t the most powerful cantrip out there, but that’s a very good ability if used as a bonus action.
Also flight speed at lv 1 lol. At least you can’t really poison spray without still being in threat range from someone on the ground.
>>
>>92730783
8/10
Should have a 30ft movement so players can attempt to kite imo

>>92730774
>current char is an aasimar warlock
I feel called out
>>
>>92736142
I was thinking it scaling off a Con spellcasting ability would knock it down a peg
It's fun to use bonus actions, but this one is low-key kind of shit
Same thing with the fly speed being 15 feet, figured it would reduce the value to something managable
>>
>>92736168
The issue with fly speed isn't really your actual rate of movement, but your ability to just hang out outside of reach.
>>
How do you optimize around making use of the actually great 50 feet of flying speed you get as a legacy Aarakocra? Monk? Sharpshooter Fighter? Gloomstalker, for Darkvision?
>>
>>92736217
Fair point, tough to have a moth without flight though...

>>92736250
I'm gonna say that wizard subclass with Arcane Ward or whatever
Then just abuse concentration spells while avoiding melee attackers
>>
>>92736250
Aarakocra Open Hand Monk is the best aerial interceptor you can play. Fly up to any flying creature, Stunning Strike, Flurry of Blows, Open Hand Technique to knock it prone on a DEX save - and this is not limited by size differences, meaning you can knock a Huge or Gargantuan creature prone in the air if it fails just one of the many saves, and few creatures have high modifiers in both CON and DEX saves, or a condition immunity to Stunned or Prone.
>>
>>92736168
It’s strong early game considering not a lot of classes get to do too much with their bonus action, and CON will almost never be a low score compared to other dump stats. It loses a bit of steam later on, but for classes who don’t have good consistent uses of a bonus action, an additional 2d12 or 3d12 poison damage is pretty good.
>>
>>92736250
permanent flight gives you so much safety as an archer but if you want to have a good monk then you grab them, fly up and then drop them for falling damage, drop ontop of them for more falling damage which you auto pass as a monk
you should also be able to repeatedly grab and drop enemies by being large, costing 5 movement for 1d6 damage which you can do 10+ times that the enemy cant fight back besides the initial grapple
>>
>>92736563
Note that if the target is stunned, it automatically fails the check to avoid being grappled. Hit and tru to stun, try to grapple with the second attack, then fly up with your movement and dash with your bonus action.
>>
>>92736563
In any game I played flying players have huge targets on their backs. Everything is out to get them. They're like enemy snipers. Tortured when captured
>>
how viable is a bog standard sword-and-board vhuman fighter with heavy armor master
is it worth going into champion for the meme
>>
>>92736807
fighter is good however you play but unless you pick a fun subclass like rune knight, battlemaster or eldritch knight that expands your options, you will get bored pretty quick
>>
>>92736807
>fighter
Good
>Heavy armor
Pretty good
>Sword Board
Also pretty good
>champion
Just get anything else like Samurai, you'll be better.
>>
>>92736807
go champion, always say how happy you are about your initiative boost and if you are playing online in a tool that allows it go for some retarded sound effect everytime you roll a crit on attack.
elf would probably be a lot better then vuman for champion
>>
File: roland_bl2.jpg (46 KB, 279x529)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>human, sharpshooter feat, soldier background
>samurai fighter/artillerist artificer
>take infusions like enhanced weapon & defense, spell refuling ring, ring of protection, boots of striding

I hope your ready for the taste of lead, Strahd, you commie son of a bitch.
>>
>>92732372
Chaotic Evil blows up the planet as their opening move
>>
>>92737001
But won't the samurai feature conflict with the artillerist cannon? They both take bonus actions..
>>
>>92737009
That is true, but I don't see that as a problem since I'd be using the advantage to overcome the negative penalty from SS more than anything. The turret is just extra. Quite honestly I think the Protector turret will be a boon moreso than the other options. Pumping out temp HP in certain CoS encounters could be really nice, but we'll see I guess.
>>
>>92737028
Protector turret is baby. You will love it.
>>
>>92737028
Ah alright then
I assume just 3 into artificer then and the rest into fighter
>>
File: Malcanthet5e.png (3.98 MB, 2160x2335)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB PNG
>>92732815
Which is kinda stupid because the succubus queens, which were the first four succubi, are still demon lords even in 5e lore
>>
>>92730820
>Arcanum's Gnomes
And your players haven't begun a genocidal crusade against them after discovering their nefarious schemes to control all the other races through forced breeding with monstrous races and seizing total control of all finance?
>>
>>92737102
that's a conspiracy theory. take your potions
>>
>>92737001
build would be better as either full arti or full samurai, there is no synergy here
>>
>>92737077
NE fits succubi better though. CE is the alignment of "grug want, grug smash," not master manipulators. Also, what do most succubi do when they get power? Set up a brothel, which is way more NE then CE.
>>
File: 1707598145327090.jpg (369 KB, 1894x2525)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
>chaotic neutral characters who are straight up libertarians
how do we feel about this?
>>
>>92737282
>Open Sea Paladin who tortures the Non-Aggression Principle to never break his Libertarian Oath
I am here for it.
>>
File: 1704007027838798.png (383 KB, 564x752)
383 KB
383 KB PNG
>>92737282
>Artificer who wants revenge on the Harpers for taking his guns
>>
Tomorrows session is cancelled
>>
>>92737282
No God or Kings
Try to work on a way to stop souls form being used in the afterlife by the gods.
Fight the power, all of them
>>
>>92737389
our sessions got cancelled for 1 month, but today is the day we play again
>>
>>92737391
and becomes of the souls?
do they become independent?
how do we know they won't try to form their own cults after they've died?
the cycle of use and abuse is eternal
if someone falls, someone else will take their place
>>
>>92737412
Hope you have fun anon.
>>
any tools on how to estimate how much time that encounters (both violent and not) will take? I always end up preparing more than necessary and i want to cut down on time wasted preparing for a session.
>>
>>92736807
Do it. Then multiclass into rogue after level 5 and never do anything stealthy.
>>
>>92737430
There's zero way to tell because it's entirely dependent on things like party comp, how long your group takes to do things in general (itself influenced by comp), whether or not there's a simple/easy solution, whether or not they recognise that solution or strategy, etc.
>>
>>92737454
I am so tired of spending a week prepping for them to blow through everything and then a couple months later i do the same damn thing and its enough for three full sessions.
>>
>>92737430
>>92737454
Yep, and tight timekeeping in a fight can halve how long it takes.
>>
>>92737430
Depends on a DM/party.
Will they immediately figure it out and roll well?
Will party rogue poison warlocks stew almost killer her, making her patron show up in rogues dream to scare him in an RP heavy scene?
You literally can't predict even with the party you've played in a while
>>
>>92737484
>not rolling over your extra prep into your next prep session
>not having an ever-evolving understanding of what the party’s future is going to contain
My rule of thumb is to spend a minimum of ten hours prepping for each session, and it’s been going magnificently.
>>
>>92737389
You get what you deserve catkin small race fucker
>>
File: no prep dm.gif (1.99 MB, 418x315)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
>>92737430
>prepping
You played yourself
>>
File: 1641580140547.jpg (61 KB, 736x1041)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>92737684
I was forced because my GM is a monty python gooffreak and normal characters just don't fit in
>>
>>92737001
Funny, my curse of Strahd campaign ends in 2-3 sessions
>>
>>92737221
>still keeps sucking
>>
my group is in the lair of the final villain and the session ended with them discovering his personal quarters. heres the million dollar question: what do i name his little owlbear doll?
>>
>>92738082
Owlbert, of course.
>>
>>92738082
Merlin.
>>
>>92738082
Mr. Tickletalon
>>
>>92738099
i might just have to go with this one, its so goofy. i love it
>>
>>92737221
>"grug want, grug smash,"
That's NE: self-interested and happy to have order when they are in charge.
CE is anti-order of any sort.
>>
>>92737221
>way more NE then CE
Try "than" instead of "then" once in a while.
>>
File: Rurik Gritsword.jpg (395 KB, 920x1280)
395 KB
395 KB JPG
>>92738194
>CE is anti-order of any sort.
What about a character that would always do what he he thinks is for the greater good, for or against the law, NG or CG? If NG what would do CG have to do to be more chaotic?
>>
>>92738249
NG is the comfiest alignment because good people do crave some order to build fruitful lives.

CG is a dumpster fire.
>>
succubus back to demons
bring back pleasure devils
ez
>>
File: Peri.png (1.85 MB, 1879x1668)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB PNG
>>92738324
>dumpster fire
Explain, I just realized that my character is actually NG not CG I thought he was. But why the dumpster fire?
>>
File: LG.jpg (234 KB, 1861x950)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>92738249
Ostensibly, depends on level of intentional chaos. If they're ambivalent, NG. If they're itinterantly against systems of hierarchy/fully freedom-at-all-costs minded, even Anarchist, that's more CG. Being changeable as well; remember, part of it is personal oath and discipline. Someone good who just does what feels right whenever is more CG.

Also, posting this for the billionth time, LG is wider and better than usually given, and not just adherence to mortal law.
>>
When did 5th ed. come out?
>>
>>92730739
Honestly, the race they choose is rarely the problem, I find. If someone wants to be a disruptive, spotlight hogging faggot, they'll find a way to do it even if you fully restrict them to human fighter. That being said, there are certain races I've only ever seen chosen by said disruptive-types. Strangely, drow and tiefling are not among those races. Firbolg, Loxodon, or any race that's not 'setting-native' tends to be a good indicator of a red flag, like warforged in a Forgotten Realms game or anything but human, elf, and dwarf in a Ravenloft campaign.
>>
>>92738194
I had fun playing a CE character once. They were a drow (male) cleric of Ghaunadaur. He joined up with an underdark slave uprising due to his beliefs, and as soon as they toppled the Lolthite clergy in control, left to start fomenting another rebellion. The weak should be constantly challenging the strong, and all that.
>>
>>92738586
See this is functionally identical to what a CG character would do just with different reasoning.
>>
>>92738603
Harkening back to the 'motivation vs action' alignment decider. He was evil, though, in his smaller scale actions if not their larger scale effects.
>>
>>92738573
>race is rarely a problem
>unless they pick non setting native race like x y z etc
you kind of contradicted yourself I think.

That being said It may be my luck but I've played with 3 tieflings, all female players and all of those characters sucked, one of them being the most disruptive player in my experience.
>flirting with bartenders
>mute
>le lol so random
>rogue
>some insane OP homebrew
>tried to flirt with a dragon
>>
>>92738586
Sounds to me like CG, CN at most
>>
>>92738645
What I mean to say is race is rarely the reason for the problem, and making them pick a different race doesn't fix the problem.
>>
>>92738694
Oh yeah, true, I'm sorry, you're right. It's a good indicator for a problem player though, as you said.
>>
Would a party of two humans, two elves, a half-elf and a dwarf be appropriate for Ravenloft if the half-elf is the son of one of the humans and one of the elves?
>>
>>92738645
I've played with a few decent tiefling characters, though admittedly, part of that was the fact that they were putting in effort and roleplaying and paying attention to the fucking game, whilst another player was 'Waluigi the Wizard', a human wizard who looked like, talked like, and was Waluigi, who was on his phone unless it was his turn in combat or there was loot to do his gimmick at.
>>
>>92738709
Sure, as long as you're willing to include the themes of racism and xenophobia that go along with that. Might make for some good roleplay, even.
>>
>>92738707
not unless the human is the female and the elf is the male
female elf x male human couples are so cliche
>>
>>92738709
>>92738728
Ultra QRD on Ravenloft please and why that would be an issue
>>
>>92738752
obviously meant to reply to >>92738709
>>
>>92738754
The domains of dread, including Ravenloft, are typically really shitty backwards places ruled by fear and superstition. Depending on the plane, it tends to range from outright racial chattel slavery and genocide, to merely 'racemixing bad because new things bad'. Barovian humans believe that the local elf population are all spies for Strahd, and the local elf population thinks the humans are all dangerous fascist bumpkins. They don't mix. A half-elf would be pretty much immediately assumed to be the product of rape, given the state of those race relations. Dwarves, while not unheard of in Barovia, are almost universally mistaken for just deformed midgets.
>>
Breaking off a bit of rust and about to dm curse of starhd
Any tips, recommendations, things that would be funny to sneak into the campaign?

Already been reading through the book and snagged a character relation chart
>>
>>92738791
Are you playing with Ravenloft-native characters (from Barovia or other Demiplanes, take your pick) or doing the faggy thing that the book suggests and doing Forgotten Realms characters shanghai'd to Ravenloft? Because which of those options you pick will change the tone a lot.
>>
>>92738752
The father is the Male Human Fighter (tm) and the mother is the Wood Elf Drunken Master.
>>
>>92738791
Strahd works best when you lean into the grimdark tone. Obviously there's going to be laughs & jokes at the table like any game but IMO, it's a Strahd DM's biggest duty to keep the tone in place. As long as you do that, you'll be good.
>>
File: map-3.5-falkovnia.png (4.34 MB, 3000x2073)
4.34 MB
4.34 MB PNG
Speaking of Raveloft, I find the 5e Falknovia setting so intriguing for running a survival-heavy style campaign where weight/rations/shelter etc would be paramount. Also gives a cool twist on the "final boss" scenario that has you working with the Darklord/BBEG helping to protect the city from their increasingly drastic seige measures.
>b-but it's a worse version of the old falkno-
Don't care.
>>
File: mahito.jpg (26 KB, 736x414)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
tomorrow is the last session for one of my campaigns, i'm going to get to be a twist villain and fight my party lol. all of our characters hav e our own lore to be revealed tomorrow. it will be kino.
>>
>>92738835
Lame, but whatever you enjoy
>>
>>92738902
sounds like shit desu senpai
>>
>>92738835
I hope the half-elf is a retarded edgelord with fetal alcohol syndrome.
>>
>>92738902
Sounds fun.
This poster is a fag: >>92738928
>>
>>92738928
frick you!!!
>>
>>92739000
thank you UwU
>>
>>92736807
My party's champion fighter multiclassed into bard at level 6.
I like his character, but he was clearly getting bored and always trying improvised actions.
>>
>>92738902
Isn't it a bit unorganic to reveal the lore of each character, or are you doing it outside of game?
>>
>>92738878
Honestly I like NuFalkovnia well enough. The only two I think they really fucked up were Dementlieu and Richemulot when they tried to capitalize on 'modern' fears of Covid and 'imposter syndrome'.
>>
File: 1606526345687.jpg (5.38 MB, 5355x3775)
5.38 MB
5.38 MB JPG
For what reason is Curse of Strahd considered the best 5e module? Is it because of the open and nonlinear structure?
>>
File: Spoiler Image (1.05 MB, 349x300)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB GIF
>>92739000
>projecting your faggotry
Having twist PC villains is the stupidest shit. Either everyone in the party saw it coming from a mile away and don't give a shit, or it comes from nowhere with zero build-up. It's also gay as shit in general.
>teehee i've been secretly evil this whole time
pic related
>>
>>92739099
That and with a good DM it can actually be pretty spooky.
>>
>>92739099
>Is it because of the open and nonlinear structure?
Yes. Also Strahd for the most part is actually a pretty compelling villain who has a consistent presence.
>>
>>92739154
Isn't he just an incel?
>>
File: Based ratings.png (105 KB, 796x457)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
>>92738790
Correction, the domains of dread are based
>>
I hate the Lady of pain. Are there any ways to get her to fuck off that doesn't screw over any possible planescape scenarios and campaigns?
>>
File: 1704197308221315.jpg (11 KB, 211x238)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>92739044
probably in game, this is my first DND campaign and first post on this board. My DND party does not take the game seriously at all, i wish they larped a bit harder like i do. but they're nice people though. Would like to learn about how you play DND tho
>>92739108
sorry, you seem very unhappy. it sounds like you're jealous of how much fun i'm having??
>party doesn't give a shit
i've been messaging my friend about our OCs frequently fren
>party saw it coming from a mile away
IT WAS NOT MY FAULT, THE DM MADE IT REALLY OBVIOUS :(( :((
>pic related
yeah that's me and it's badass problem?
>>
>>92739203
Oh to be back in thar honeymoon phase when i was enjoying ttrpgs despite playing poorly and failing to pick up every social cue in the book. I almost envy you.
>>
>>92739068
Richemulot is the rat plauge one, right? I liked the system of tiers of outbreak. Honestly if you took the bones of that setting it would make for a great Dishonored style game.
>>
>>92739203
>Would like to learn about how you play DND tho
Both of my groups are dogshit. One's a chicken shit lol so random that cancels most of the games (tomorrow included). Another's ultra progressive with zero to no meaningful RP or any consequences whatsoever.
>>
>>92739164
Yes
>>
>>92739203
>Fren
Oh fuck, you're like, AUTISTIC autistic, huh?
>>
>>92739174
I hate her too. Good thing that canon is just whatever DM decides.
>>
>>92739259
Honestly, it's clearly just Bloodborne/Dishonored through a post-Covid lens. Even the art is obviously Bloodborne-ripped shit.
>>
>>92739203
>IT WAS NOT MY FAULT, THE DM MADE IT REALLY OBVIOUS :(( :((
Then it's not a twist
>muh fun
buzzword
>first game
Makes sense. Once you play a bit more you'll look back and realize how cringe this game is.
>>
>>92739173
Not commenting on the pros and cons of racism, but the domains of dread are in fact pretty shitty. Like, a solid half of them are so technologically regressed that they view washing your ass as witchcraft and have an average life expectancy of 15.
>>
My first character was a human Fiend Warlock Folk Hero who made a deal with a Fiend to save a town, and he was literally me.
>>
File: apustudying.jpg (38 KB, 655x527)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>92739328
why would i sacrifice my own happiness so i would appear to look less "cringe". i'm very glad i don't have any friends like pessimistfag
>>
>>92739320
Yeah, after cracking open my copy of Van Richten's to check it I can see why that would put people off. But both of those games are among some of my all-times so I'm willing to look through it with my rose-colored glasses lol.

But yeah, looking through it, apart from the actual plague levels the setting is very mid.
>>
>>92739359
like you*
>>
I'm still playing my first ever character and I feel somewhat struggling to not make him literally me.
Although I'm not friends with any of the other players, so they might assume that I'm playing as myself either way.
>>
>>92739174
>>92739318
For someone who doesn't know much about her, why? She can literally never appear or do anything, like any other God in most settings, unless players are deliberately messing up with her, or am I missing something?
>>
>>92739349
Your first character was a nigger with one eye?
>>
>>92739359
>sacrifice my own happiness
>if i'm not the main character i'm not happy
Yeah, sounds about right for a first timer
>>
>>92739174
If youre running into the Lady of Pain often enough that this even becomes an issue you're running Planescape wrong.
>>
>>92739405
Ultra negative AND schizo
>>
>>92739401
Actually no, but my last character was a white man with one eye >>92737818
>>
>>92739424
>calls other negative
>is excited to betray his friends and be a villain
interdasting
>>
>>92739360
>Van Richten's

I remember my party encountering him as Rictavio, one of the players insisted on calling him Retardio and it stuck.
>>
>>92739463
I'm a different poster, you retard.
Anon is just excited to play out his game, DM is obviously fine so the story is likely built in a way that makes sense for all players.
>>
>>92739405
>>92739405
Actually one of my favourite fights in game was against a guest player who just controlled a "random" demon we fought. She was so into winning and didn't give a shit about our characters I just knew she wouldn't pull any punches.
>>
>>92738811
Sadly the players wanted to be from the swords coast. Have an elf, tiefling, and a human who got turned into a dhampir. I will be leaning into the whole, you don't look like you belong with the villagers. But the glorified gypsies know more about non normal races.

Pretense to session one was. They were on their way back from escort mission cause client was afraid of the fog rumors. They are on their back, and start joking about the fog. They are now surrounded by the fog.

>>92738839
Noted. Will keep his presence known at all times.
>>
>>92739405
>slight bit of rping = main characterfagging
>>
>>92739419
Honestly, I just dont want her to appear at all or atleast be half as ludicrous as her "I win by default" write up is. I dont have an issue with the no stat block thing or what she is supposed to represent. What I dont like primarily is the execution. One of the ideas that popped into my head was that an disappearance of hers coinceded with an multiversal disaster that begins to spread and spread. Standard stuff, working on the finer details still, like knifes in general turning into portals to her maze, the lady leaving an ever more destructive trail in her wake as she tries to track the source of the catastrophe down. A new god of portals being born and begin to exist within the portals themselves while being cryptic as hell. My last idea being an god of travels being trapped and nprisoned in Sigil with the locals trying to get him out and him wanting but being unable to leave seems the most tricky. No idea how to justify that one.
>>
>>92732490
For the sake of it, let me argue that (most) NE is the more effective at evil compared to (most) LE.
Laws on their own are likely to result in accidental long term good (tyranny leading to systematic improvement in overall life quality in search for "approved" hedonism of the upper hierarchies, efficient control and purges typically end up accompanied with technological developments that long term increase prosperity, etc) or improvement of the status on the world and as such reducing the window of "potential" misery and ending up in a slight/temporary stall position when the goals and regulations clash.
The closer the LE shifts to NE, the less of a factor the personal limits become without outright anarchy.
>>
>>92739496
He can be excited all he wants, it's not any different than somebody being excited for the new star wars show. People can be excited for stupid things, just don't get booty blasted when somebody points out that it's a stupid thing to be excited for
>>92739510
That's how that should be done, and I've done that too. Had to leave my group because I got a real job and couldn't play on a weekday afternoon any more. Got the day off a couple of months later and fought my old friends. Was fun. But both of our stories are different than what anon is doing
>>92739538
The culmination of a campaign and character arc is a slight bit of roleplaying?
What's with all these 16 year old newfags itt lately? Are you all BG3 tourists or something?
>>
>>92739575
>The culmination of a campaign and character arc is a slight bit of roleplaying?
is anon really wrong for that? as long as his party are happy to hear about it and he doesn't sperg loudly about it
>>
>>92739550
Allow me to point to her description from the Planescape campaign:

>The high-up man in Sigil, the one who ultimately watches over the Cage, is the Lady of Pain. She's not a woman and she's not human - nobody's quite sure what she is. She's the Lady of Pain, and given that, most other facts are extraneous.

>For the most part the Lady (as she's called) keeps distant from the squalid hurly-burly of the Cage. She doesn't have a house, a palace, or a temple. Nobody worships her, and with good reason: Those that say prayers to her name get found with their skins flayed off — a big discouragement to others.

>Sometimes she's seen drifting through the streets, the edge of her gown just brushing over the cobblestones. She never speaks. Those who try interfering with her erupt in horrid gashes at just the touch of her gaze. Wise bloods find business elsewhere on those rare times she passes down the way. Eventually, her image fades and she vanished into nothingness.

>Bluntly put, as far as a PLANESCAPE campaign's concerned, the Lady of Pain's little more than an icon that crystallizes the mood of the campaign setting. Player characters should never deal with her. She doesn't give out missions, she never grants powers to anyone, and they can't rob her temples because she hasn't got any. If she ever does make an appearance, it should be simply to reinforce the wonder and mystery of the whole place.

>On the other hand, the Lady of Pain, just by being there, makes all things possible. She's the one who gets the credit for several effects that make Sigil (and the entire PLANESCAPE campaign setting) what it is. She's the one who makes Sigil safe for characters of all experience levels. She's the one who blocks the powers from Sigil. She's the one whose influence prevents gate spells from working and shields Sigil from the Astral Plane. She's the one who creates the Mazes that trap Sigil's would-be conquerors.

She should always be felt, but never seen.
>>
File: GI_IQ0TWYAAdoBH.jpg (1.97 MB, 2160x2710)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>92739638
Too bad.

Which one of these would you have taken as your miniature? The ones with blue boxes are PCs, the ones with red boxes are NPCs.
>>
>>92732815
>>92737077
Oddly enough, no, but rarely does anyone read the full statblock. "Succubi and incubi inhabit all of the Lower Planes." which by plane rules would mean you have a CE and LE ones... which ofc is the cop-out for why now the hells also have a ok amount of succubi in service instead of mostly being charmtest mobs for the abyss and summoners.
>>
can i get some feedback on this bard subclass?
>>
>>92739638
Yeah that's how I imagined her and that's literally one of the best God-like creatures ever. Maybe I just love the mystery, gore, danger and moral neutrality
>>
>>92734004
Didn't read, but why is there a Sandshrew behind that tiefling?
>>
>>92739695
Right off the bat, I don't think the "Colleges" of bards are physical locations, but schools of thought or practice. Actual colleges are a Wizards thing. Bards are part of "collectives" who share information among others of their craft, or at least that's how I interpret their subclass flavor.

As a whole, there's literally no reason flavor or mechanics-wise to pick this subclass over a Spirits Bard if you want a "support/card shark archetype" of Bard.
>>
>>92731740
>Barbarian
Well mannered, if a bit of a braggart,wears jewelry, fine clothings and grooms himself very well each morning; works as a gemcutter and is calm out of combat
>Artificer
Regular crafting autist, very much in line with the archetype
>Monk
silent type, says stuff like "my blade is an extension of myself
>Knowledge cleric
10 con, is a young, shy elf (male) who has trouble being social, an archetypal bookworm
>Celestial Warlock
Has an edgy backstory on purpose, like all of his friends/family are dead but he is chill about it; very much intentional on the player as during the last campaign, all of his npc got fucked over
So i'd say, 2/5 go a bit against the classical representation of the class; knowledge cleric doesn't count imo has it's quite in line with the concept of a cleric dedicated to knowledge
>>
>>92739619
Wrong about what? Thinking that it's not main character syndrome? Yes. He can do that, he just needs to recognize it for what it is. He already admitted that it's not really a twist, which makes me wonder why the rest of the group, as characters, are willing to keep traveling with him. That's why I said earlier PC betrayals are dumb. Either everybody knows its gonna happen well before it does, which ruins the whole point of it being a twist, or it has to be kept so secret that there's no build up for it. Having a guest player be a villain is cool, but having a long-term PC do it is lame and gay.
>>
>>92739750
NTA but Spirits Bard is fucking garbage though.
>>
>>92739796
>Spirits Bard is fucking garbage though

I'm gonna need you to explain your reasoning here, because it's objectively more feature-loaded & powerful than almost every other Bard subclass except Lore.
>>
>>92739419
Nah, LoP canonically is a joke at the levels when she is relevant and not just a "party gone" or "enemies gone" deus ex machina unless characters have divine rank.
Post-weakened/partial serpent power loss Vecna was still stalling her off to the point of having to rely on mortal heroes and as a greater god that managed to gimmick his way he bitchslapped her so hard she couldn't even contest him.

>>92739174
If you want something lore fitting instead of just "as DM i decide", have Io, Null, Oghma or Sylvanus pull a Vampire Dragon clause (she in lore only has rule over sigil/the bounds of the city, which she can expand at will, but she doesnt actually influence the outlands, thus if the city is surrounded and being overtaken/flooded with respective rainbow snek sparkles, negative energy/tech and magic prisoners/nature you can say she is too busy preventing the anomaly since she by DVD wasnt omnipresent enough even in sigil/could only pay attention to so many things at once). Its still a ass pull, but one where you can make it "its both sides problem caused by 3rd party".
>>
>>92733602
>>younger sister of PC gets inspired by big bro and runs off with an adventuring band herself
pretty good, can make for a cool moment, can go the dramatic way, with her being over her head; or maybe her actually being quite promising. The pc might encourage her or tell her to stop being retarded if she isn't cut out for it
>noble character’s family recalls him to help take down a rival house
can be cool, if everyone in the group is on board to help the pc, can make a decent way to retire temporarily a pc from a campaign if the player wants to switch up
>one of PC’s baby twins is taken by a fey in a bargain by his wife, now its archfey warlock
put some time loop/differences shenanigans with the twins being an adult and a recurring antagonist/npc. such dramatic reveal can fall flat, especially if you try to hide it out for too long or expect it to be a big moment.
All in all, these are cool ideas anon
>>
>>92739750
>Actual colleges are a Wizards thing.
Gay
Having some magic schools could be acceptable, sure.
But having all the colleges in the setting be "wizard colleges" is extremely gay
>>
>>92739774
>>Knowledge cleric
>10 con, is a young, shy elf (male)
Cute.
My current pc is a lot like this, except wizard (wanted to switch to knowledge cleric once I found out about the class but it'd have felt awkward since I already played few sessions with the premade).
>>
>>92739844
Wizard subclasses are literally SCHOOLS, anon.

The implication is that Wizards are the studious magic users & that Bards are fucking around in groups similar to themselves but not beholden to their niche. A necromancer is a necromancer. A whispers bard could be a spy, an elite rogue, a actor with an ambitious streak, a student of illusion magic...
>>
>>92739844
Please ignore that part, I typed that up in like 5 minutes just to have something
>>
>>92739879
Dude, can you even read?
The faggy thing is to imply that the only schools in the settings are schools teaching magic.
>>
>>92739892
>Dude, can you even read?
Can YOU?
>>
>>92739809
No it's fucking not. At level 3 you get gudiance, a shitty focus and a garbage ability that eats into your main resource, takes both an action and a bonus action and applies a weak effect outside your control.
At level 6 you the ability to a d6 to any healing spell that has a material component, which is fucking nothing, and the ability to learn a single necromancy or divination spell of a level equal to or less then your proficency, but you also need to gather a group of fucks everytime and it baffling resets whenever you START a long rest for no fucking reason. This is one of the worst fucking features, because as compared to Lore Bard, divination and Necromancy are garbage.
Then at level 14, you get slightly more control over the STILL garbage feature that eats your main precious resource, takes a full fucking turn, for garbage abilities that are 11/12 times worse then spells.
>>
Which race gets the best innate spellcasting and why?
>>
>>92739900
You're the one who completely misread a post.
I'll stop engaging, enjoy your "win".
>>
>>92739883
Well I mostly just wanted to do something cool where a player could use a literal pack of cards, it's a physical gimmick. The rolls are included in the class for people who don't have a deck or cards but for some reason have role-playing dice handy.

I thought it was neat

Also See>>92739883
>>
>>92739961
Goddmitni cannot link to anything properly today
>>92739961
Meant for
>>92739750
>>
>>92739684
>Tiefling has hag lines
>>92739921
Earth genasi for ez Resistances
The new one, not the old one obv
>>
>>92739902
>At level 3 you get guidance
One of the best cantrips in the game, yes, thank you for pointing out a great net boon of the subclass.
>A shitty focus
Wow, a bard that DOESN'T have to be pigeonhold into a musician with a instrument as their focus?! The horror!
>a garbage ability that eats your main rescource
Tales adds features and abilities to your character or party members that are 1000x more useful than "add this to your role" & if you disagree you're being obtuse for arguments sake. The RNG is meh, but there's literally no option that isn't anything less than useful.
>At level 6 you the ability to a d6 to any healing spell that has a material component, which is fucking nothing,
...Or a d6 of damage to something like Vicious Mockery which ups your damage output by a ton, but that doesn't fit your narrative, so of course you'd ignore that.
>the ability to learn a single necromancy or divination spell of a level equal to or less then your proficency, but you also need to gather a group
Yeah, because stuff like being able to cast Arcane Eye/Revivify/Scrying for free as long as you're around your party members are completely useless, right?

You being a fucking retard who can't read or imagine any use of the features doesn't mean the subclass is bad.
>>
>>92739532
Right, yeah, you'll have to focus a bit more on the 'beating them down' part, then. Reinforcing that sometimes, happy endings simply aren't in the cards. Sometimes the best you can do is get out alive.
>>
One of the characters I want to play is a bard who's literally a bard, a dude who wants to tag along the heroes and record their deeds, make songs about them. But I assumed the colleges are literal colleges and the reason he's mostly doing it is to get a good grade for summer task.
>>
>>92740139
Lore bards are said to gather in places that include "actual colleges".
Imho there's no reason why there couldn't be both school of thought as well as physical places where people study and teach such ideas (imho this also applies to wizards, perhaps even to clerics and druids)
>>
>>92740026
Based post

>>92739902
Fag post
>>
College of spirits bard and knowledge cleric wizard have better divination flavor than divination wizard. Divination is more of a faggy minmaxer metagamer class
>>
Any subclass can be an order, a school, a general philosophy, or even just a name for a set of mechanics that tie together and for which you can give any other flavor you'd like.
>>
>>92740268
Yeah this is the only correct answer. Subclasses are whatever your DM paint them to be/whatever the player gets out of them.
>>
>>92740268
But it doesn't really fit well with classes like warlock, sorcerer, ranger, barbarian.
Of course, you can force it to fit, but it's not as straightforward as "art school/magic school/seminary"
>>
>>92739684
What is this?

Also Aarakocra Beastmaster
>>
>>92739684
Aarrakocra ranger & the eyestaff Warlock are based.
>>
>>92731782
Nigga this is 5e, the chances of a PC not being a caster are very low.
>>
>>92739684
Never played a Paladin, and that mace looks kind of cool.
>>
>>92740219
Thanks, he is Lore Bard so makes double sense
>>
>>92738497
No one knowns.
>>
>>92739575
You're such a fuckwit lmao
>>
If you (irl) had to fuck one of your group's fellow party members (not including your own pc), which one would you fuck?
I'd pick our human fighter.
>>
>>92739774
>young, shy elf (male) who has trouble being social
How young? I might want to groom and molest this character.
>>
>>92740806
they're all dudes so none of them
if there's a gun to my head I guess there's an elf and I could just make him wear a dress and a wig but I wouldn't be happy about it
>>
>>92740238
Minmaxing is based
Wanting to win games is a Chad instinct
>>
>>92740921
Even for that it's better to pick Chronurgy.
>>
>>92740806
All of them, at once.
Except the one female character.
>>
>>92740978
Not even a little bicurious, or is she that much of a bitch?
>>
>>92741682
She's an ok character, she just does not have a dick.
>>
>>92741764
Can't get access to one via magic either?
>>
>>92740268
Wish more DMs would add druid cults to their campaign. C'mon, they got their own secret language like rogues do, they gotta be up to some shit.
>>
>>92740921
Minmaxing is so integral to making a PC in 5e, most people don't even know what the term means anymore
>>
I hate monks
I hate monks so much
their turns go forever why is the game so slow
>>
>>92742024
Because you have slow players. The last monk I played with had quicker turns then the ranger.
>>
>>92739774
>Crafting autist

Just typical Artificer shit or actually full item crafting? I need alternate crafting rules, the Xanathar's ones are fucking obtuse.
>>
>>92740806
Group one, the socially awkward but enthusiastic harengon rogue. I picture him looking a lot like Nanachi from Made in Abyss even though he's probably more like a Beatrix Potter rabbit.
Other groups have exactly one female character each, so the mysterious kalashtar druid, the peppy tiefling ranger and the good-hearted inwardly tortured ADHD wood elf ranger.
>>
>>92742208
>4 groups at once
whew
>>
File: GMSC_U6aIAAj_Qv.jpg (1.31 MB, 1500x2306)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
Do you trust evil race party members?
>>
File: GMSEXrCa8AAP_Xt.jpg (1.79 MB, 1500x2306)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB JPG
>>92742270
>>
>>92742270
There ent nary an elf I'd trust. Human women and elves're all the same. If they don't grow a beard, they don't have an ounce of proper decency in them.
>>
>>92742270
>>92742282
Well, what happens?
>>
>>92742270
Considering we're mercenaries working for the Iron Throne? None of us are trustworthy. Our cleric is a Beshaban.
>>
File: DQIV_DS_Alena.png (207 KB, 517x730)
207 KB
207 KB PNG
>>92742270
the blonde elf in the back is cute.
The person in blue reminds me of Alena from Dragon Quest IV even if it's not an actual match (despite the looks, her actual class is martial artist).
>>
>>92742270
I'd die for my party's kobold warlock even if he's def evil. It doesn't help that he got actual hand drawn character art and he looks more like a cutesy gecko.
>>
>>92742270
To be honest, I feel bad for surface drow. They're just trying to survive and don't get many chances to be good guys.
>>
>>92742511
Wow, she has a kid now? Haven't kept up with this webcomic for years, but I thought she was into girls or something.
>>
>>92742526
What comic is that?
>>
File: 178-1bb.png (243 KB, 665x569)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
>>92742526
Story hasn't reached that part, but yeah, she will. Also, the yuri scenes she's in are all rapes, mostly by the tanar'ri, who she fucking hates. The only happy sex she has is with a guy.

>>92742612
Price of Freedom. Takes place in a sort of late 17th century fantasy Ottoman/Arabian setting (so you got people still wearing plate but carrying around flintlocks). It's about a drow who is sold to a demon to be her slave, then dragged into all sorts of plots because of it. It's a porn comic though. Kinda edgy and lots of drow abuse for obvious reasons. It's been going on years now, but is probably reaching the end soonish considering that she's finally revealed her real name and the ending has been forcasted here >>92742511
>>
>>92742256
Some semi-overlapping friend groups, and then a game at my local library. I'm DMing two games and playing in two at the moment.
I was the change I wanted to see, and now one of the players in the group where I'm the DM is running a oneshot, feels good man.
>>
>DM busts out a color theory puzzle
Shit was way more tense than it needed to be. Why are kindergarten puzzles so hard??
>>
>>92743225
Pls share the puzzle.
My DM hasn't really used puzzles as far as I remember.
>>
>>92743268
An artificer's shop locked down, and the security system activated.
On a screen a color appeared and we had to push corresponding buttons for what the major color makeup of the color was. So first was a light blue, so blue was primary color, green was the secondary, and red was the tertiary.
Went through multiple rounds of getting it wrong and two little robots popped out of the floor that we had to fight before returning to the color guessing game.
We only had one round of fighting, but they shot acid paintballs at us, and after the session ended the dm said that if we kept getting the colors wrong that the bigger robots would have started to identify us by the colors of the acid we were hit with.
Seemed a good set up, but we flew through the colors after that first fight.
>>
File: Lady of Pain.png (274 KB, 529x629)
274 KB
274 KB PNG
>>92739824
>Post-weakened/partial serpent power loss Vecna was still stalling her off to the point of having to rely on mortal heroes and as a greater god that managed to gimmick his way he bitchslapped her so hard she couldn't even contest him.
She chooses to let the player characters do their thing because if she unleashes her true power to swat Vecna like a bug, it would destroy or heavily damage the multiverse.
>>
>>92742270
>Literally playing an NG Eilistraeean Divine Soul Sorcerer Drow in current campaign
No such thing as an evil race, just individuals and their social structures.
>>
>>92743566
brave. bold. stunning.
>>
File: Drow 5gtpWi.jpg (613 KB, 1920x3413)
613 KB
613 KB JPG
>>92743566
>relax guys, I'm a servant of Eilistraee
>what spiders, I don't see any spiders
>>
File: Zhivanna Large.png (2.19 MB, 1500x1499)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB PNG
>>92743639
>Born on the surface, served in the army of a country crushed by the local imperial nation for 30 years, has been working with a holdout region's rebels for a few years
Stepping on the spiders is normal.
>>
>>92743690
not a drow
>>
>>92740820
20 years old, so really young by elven standard
>>9274213
One of the players made extensive homebrew for each classes, the artificer has a bit more to do with infusions, and as the campaign is focused on us having a caravan, we are upgrading as it goes on, thanks to an upgrade tree the gm made
>>
File: HEYYOUGUYS.png (61 KB, 296x380)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
hey fellas. I'm looking to run a high octane, drama-free campaign on Tuesdays.
Homebrew stuff from kibblestasty and laserllama isn't just allowed but encouraged.
I'll be using third party monsters all the way down the rabbit hole.
Kill monsters and get their shit kinda game. Anyone interested?
It'd be run on roll20/discord and be a voiced campaign but not on camera.
>>
>>92743952
>20 years old, so really young by elven standard
Way too young for an elf knowledge cleric imho.
I guess he'd be the adorably precocious little shota (who goes on 1 shota ventures).
40 is the minimum for a young elf that can still feel like an adventuring elf.
>>
>>92743953
I'm very interested, but I've never played online, only in person.
>>
>>92743953
buy VTT and you will have more people interested because roll20 is a fucking mess
>>
>battlerager barbarian
>scout rogue
yeah i'm thinking based
if i use the feature to move half my speed, while grappling a shitter i should be able to move the target as well, or nah?
>>
>>92743952
Could he pass for the equivalent physical maturity of say a 14-year-old?
>>
>>92743983
Roll20 is a VTT. Do you just mean get a better one, or do you specifically mean Foundry VTT or something?
>>
>>92744012
You'd move at 1/4 speed, at least the way I'd rule it, but yeah.
>>
>>92744137
10/15 ft isnt too bad, that'd work

>>92744131
yeah, Foundry is better
it'll give players more, keep them focused on the screen and ease your life
the homebrew might even be available to get inserted into it
+ its a one-time cost for a versatile tool instead of a subscription
>>
>>92744012
Why Battlerager? You will not get more movement, since Scout implies that you already have enough levels in Rogue to get your bonus action dash from elsewhere. If anything, you will get less, as Battlerager is restricted to a race with 25 feet of movement. Try Elk Totem instead.
>>
>>92744299
DM will probably ignore race requirements, so it should be fine
Battlerager is for using Unarmed fighting as a feat and going all in on grappling
>>
>>92744309
Then why Rogue? You don't get Sneak Attack with unarmed strikes.
>>
>>92743977
Not my character, but as far as I know, he grew up in Candlekeep, and not necessarily among elves, I reckon that biologically, they reach maturity like human but their culture takes things more slowly, so in that situation it works fine
>>92744127
Don't know what that would be, but so far he acts soft spoken, a bit idealistic/see things in black and white, and most importantly a bit racist/scared when he learnt about the artificer being a pure blood Yuan ti.
>>
>>92744329
you get sneaks from shortsword
unarmed feat is to get a free 1d4 with grappling to stack on battlerager grapple bonus and possibly use crusher to allow for more movement manipulation
you avoid the feat cost for expertise through rogue, and scout guarantees survival and nature expertise

it seems like a solid build, even if unoptimized
>>
>>92744488
If you want to do a more streamlined grappler, you can try a Custom Lineage Rune Knight with Skill Expert and the Unarmed Fighting Style.
>>
>>92744488
the problem is that you get the 3 damage when you grapple and the 1d4 on your turn when you grapple so you need to give up one of your attacks to drop the grapple and grapple again for 3 damage instead of just attacking the enemy
if the dm could reword battlerager so when you grapple and have someone grappled, they take the damage and bump the damage numbers then maybe it would be ok but the damage is so lackluster so there is no point
>>
>>92744528
i'll consider it, thanks for the suggestion
it fits somewhat better into the setting, however i dont know the subclass well

>>92744536
ill use the rpgbot suggestions as a base for rewording the battlerager to get into the expected power level
i wouldnt be cycling grapples, the main idea is to have a "dual wield" setup to throw and maneuver creatures around, since the DM has started to implement better fights than dry stat checks
the d4 is a nice addition to the battlerager mechanic if i can convince the dm to add the STR bonus to either or both
>>
>barbarogue
>>
>discussion
>>
>page 8
>>
>>92742335
They were never seen again, obviously
>>
>>92745201
>>92745201
>>92745201

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.