[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Knife-Wielding Birds Edition

>NEW UA
https://media.dndbeyond.com/compendium-images/ua/ph-playtest8/gHvtmY50loGLgQUb/UA2023-PH-Playtest8.pdf
>NEW UA
https://media.dndbeyond.com/compendium-images/ua/ph-playtest7/tsgOb3llF22AL0nU/UA2023-PH-Playtest7.pdf

>New Errata
https://dnd.wizards.com/dndstudioblog/sage-advice-book-updates

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Trove
The Trove Vault (seed, please!): bit<dot>ly/2Y1w4Md

>Resources:
https://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous Thread: >>93217536

What homebrew or third-party monsters do you use, /5eg/?
>>
>>93233666
You're correct but I still just want to punch things when I play Monk so fuck you
>>
I am digging this homebrew.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HyPAzuRLB

His methodology: Frontload Agency, backload Power.
>>
Can I get a quick rundown on what's going on with this 5.5e thing I keep hearing about and how Crawford is ruining classes or some shit?
>>
>>93233680
thanks cuck
>>
>>93233708
they decided they needed to make money but they didnt wanna scare away normies with some big scary new version so they decide to make it extremely annoying and confusing by release (insufficient) improvements and calling them the same version but also 2024 but also say everything is retro compatible even though they're really replacing everything
>>
>>93233727
To make matters worse, the PHB comes out months before the DMG. Everything they've shared about the new PHB has seemed to be either slightly better or significantly worse than the stuff we already have. There's no way this isn't going to be a dumpster fire.
>>
>>93233708
WotC proudly presents the 50th anniversary of Dungeons and Dragons
>>
I'm realizing that it's a massive pain in the ass to have manevuers AND class features that add attack riders AND weapon masteries AND magic weapons

I think weapon masteries have to go if I want maneuvers, but then I'm worried nonmagical weapons will just be kind of boring
>>
Are any of these Big Bad books by Hit Point Press any good?
>>
People still defend Monks to this day? Grim.
>>
>>93233999
Terribly designed class. Damage scaling based on Martial Arts die is completely indefensible by 5e design standards. Good damage output but only when you play them exactly how they aren't intended to be played. "Hit and run" and "take mobile" copium huffers don't bother replying, personal defensibility by retreat is completely non-valuable in a team setting as that strategy does nothing to mitigate potential damage to the party as a whole, and only further de-prioritizes that which is an already non-important target.
>>
>>93233982
no, not at all.
>>
alright, so my players will clear a story-significant dungeon for level 5, after that there is one more for plot reasons, before i being their second tier

im planning for a city siege, which will become their main hub, and practice for a west marches game, the issue at hand is what kind of prep/sessions come with it?
>gathering allies
>sabotage
>shoring up defenses
>supply runs
>point defense
they should i will tell them because of sporadic sessions have a general idea of the factions involved and have a lot of hooks they can grab and move the siege forward
i am thinking of doing the whole Dungeon World-style progression of the siege, but any advice would be welcome
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (122 KB, 1280x720)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
What is the point of a heavy crossbow? is it like the hand crossbow thing where you are supposed to shoot it once at the start of combat and then drop it instead of reloading it? a javelin, spear and hand ax are all 1d6. 1d10+2 is 7.5 vs 1d6+3 is 6.5 so assuming you even bothered to fill out your dex its not that much more damage with a lower hit chance
>>
>>93233708
They aren't ruining classes any more than base 5e did - I think the general concensus is that most things are generally better but not nearly enough, as you get to places like reddit its "everything is improved, but not enough".

If someone thinks 5e is fine but 5.5 is dogshit I'm really not sure how, its just 5e but with some jank smoothed out now that they can put their errata/patches into the 'core' book.
>>
Was chatting with friends today about the ranger and have a question for you all.

Outside of the concept of a Beastmaster, is there any 'ranger' concept that can't be describes as a fighter/rogue with a few druid spells tacked on? We were struggling to find anything that makes a ranger ranger.

We were chatting about this because one of my mates runs a dnd game for the school he works at and two of his students played ranger. They got to level three and did not know that there were non beastmaster subclasses - they assumed the subclass was just what kind of beast you got.
>>
>>93234586
It nerfed martials into shit, how the fuck is it generally better?
>>
>>93234123
the 5.5 monk is pretty much a strict upgrade and one of the better incarnations of the monk class on tabletop (against all odds), Nick mastery benefits monks more than most and being able to deflect melee attacks actually fulfills the Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan kung fu movie fantasy. Step of the Wind is no longer just a worse cunning action, and Stunning Strike now gives bonus damage on a successful save so it's not a complete feels bad moment when monsters are constantly passing CON saves with huge bonuses or ignoring it with legendary resistance
>>
>>93234616
boring one dimensional feats mandatory for any martial character to function like sharpshooter and GWM were nerfed, but that's not the same as nerfing every single martial. Anybody who TWFs or uses a weapon besides a hand crossbow or halberd got massively buffed in 5.5, and with new mechanics many options like berserker barbarian actually do more damage than current GWM builds especially since they actually continue to gain damage as they level up instead of peaking at 5 and falling off a cliff.

It's like whining about 3.5 nerfing Haste so full casters couldn't cast two spells a turn since it gave you two entire standard actions. Haste was still good even in 3.5, it just wasn't so retarded that the entire game revolved around nothing but how you could spend as much time based on every party member as possible
>>
>>93234773
Martials are utterly worthless without those feats, you retard.
>>
>>93234782
Martials have enough new tools to make up for the difference and then some unless you're fighting enemies you had a basically 100% chance to hit anyway so the -5 didn't matter.
>>
>>93234834
Not fooling anyone, shill.
>>
>>93234782
>Martials are utterly worthless without those feats, you retard
Considering 5.5 barbarian does more damage than the 5e one even without -5/+10 feats existing, no, they aren't. Against actual high level threatening enemies they're often a damage loss to use anyways even in current 5e, especially once you start factoring in things like a magic weapon with bonus damage that means the accuracy loss is a greater malus and the non-scaling flat damage is less valuable. The best case scenario white room calculations people disingenuously post here are like a level 10+ martial targeting 15 AC which is literally lower than a level 1 hobgoblin has.

New Berserker Barbarian shits out damage while also giving unconditional Disadvantage on saving throws so your party wizard sucks your giant Conan cock, plus you get a nearly guaranteed Reaction attack every round since they moved the former level FOURTEEN retaliation feature all the way down to level 3. Frenzy Damage Dice trigger once per TURN, not per ROUND, too, so if you hit the enemy with a single attack on your turn plus your retaliation that's an extra 8d6 damage. Do I have to explain to you like a fucking child that +8d6 with no accuracy penalty is better than adding +20-30 damage best-case-scenario with a -20% accuracy penalty?

That's not even accounting for Brutal Strikes giving bonus damage, and, more importantly, enormous utility that it's hard to quantify in pure DPR terms, giving an enemy Disadvantage on a save against something like Hold Monster or Dominate Person can be the difference between a hard fight and absolutely curb stomping it.
>>
>>93233708
Most classes got a buff or improvements (except Ranger ofc), that part is good.
My main gripe is how little they're changing. IT's more a rules rewrite, fxing issues and expanding a bit, but in no way something worth a 10y gap.
Whatever homebrew you use right now to play, you'll likely still be using it in 2024.
>>
>>93233854
You're the reason martials can't have interesting stuff.
Is having to pick and manage 5 manuevers and a handful of weapon masteries poyu'll be using FOR DOZENS OF HOURS that much?
>>
>>93234856
Funny how the shills have to resort to straight up lying because the facts don't support their narrative in the slightest.
>>
>>93234598
You can make that exact claim about the barbarian or Paladin being glorified fighters with couple features added on top.
The reality is that 5e at least is so simple most classes could be understood as some mutation or variant of Fighter or Wizard. I'd say the gap between Ranger, Rogue and Druid is still wider than the gap between Sorc and Wizard.
>>
File: 1704065191343615.png (50 KB, 931x842)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>93234869
Sorry but it's such simple math that even a child can see you're obviously wrong.
A 5e Berserker Barbarian hitting somebody 3 times (Action, Extra Attack, Bonus Action Frenzy) with GWM does +30 damage at the cost of -5 to hit on every attack as the absolute best case scenario.
a 5.5e Berserker Barbarian hitting somebody 3 times (Action, Extra Attack, Retaliation, not even accounting for any Bonus Action attacks) with new-GWM does +8d6+12 damage with no accuracy penalty.
Why don't you go ahead and tell the class, little timmy, whether 30 or 8d6+12 is a bigger number? It's okay, I know Common Core education has failed America but I'll let you type it into googlle just this once.
>UH, WELL, IT'S MORE DAMAGE BUT ONLY AT HIGHER LEVELS!
No, since remember that example wasn't even including a Bonus Action attack from the Barbarian *or* any Weapon Masteries like Cleave/Graze/etc. Once you factor in those, plus the fact that even at level 9 nu-GWM and new frenzy is +6d6+6 damage, while also having NO accuracy penalty, and Brutal Strikes being an extra +1d10 later scaling to +2d10, and it's not even fucking close.

Again, remember you're not eating a fucking -5 to hit on every attack. So now you can fight DRAGONS in this DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS game without sucking shit. But don't worry bro you can totally pwn those goblins in Lost Mine of Phandelver real good.....
>>
>5.5 warlocks have better smites than 5.5 paladins
Make it make sense.
>>
File: 1699566153716566.png (158 KB, 1024x484)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
>>93234918
being in a romantic and sexual relationship with the child of a deity>swearing some dumb fucking oath to get gay wiccan "MANIFESTING POSITIVE VIBES!" powers that don't even come from actual deities anymore.
>>
>>93234908
>those completely asspulled numbers
Shills can do nothing but lie.
>>
File: 1705039008727593.png (11 KB, 1041x85)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>93234935
>asspulled numbers
new great weapon master does +PROF damage on your first hit each turn.
new frenzy does +2d6 to +4d6 damage scaling with your Rage bonus on your first hit each turn.
retaliation has been moved to 3rd level, allowing you to get a reaction attack on enemy turns almost every round, it even works on AoE effects and damaging auras since it doesn't actually require you be hit with an attack. Reckless Attack lasts until the start of your next turn, meaning you even get Advantage on Retaliation attacks.

All the numbers are quite easy to understand. That's without even considering the bonus damage from having +5 to hit on every attack vs old GWM.
>>
That's great, now let's look at the Fighter. Oh...

Well, maybe Paladin is better... Oh no...
>>
>>93234960
paladin gains additional uses of smite, better scaling with spell levels, a number of improved feats, an extra origin feat, subclasses with a much lower action-cost on their abilities, a usable divine sense, more channel divinities, and weapon masteries allowing them to make three attacks a turn easy with a bonus action left free.
>>
Earth genasi is gonna be top tier with the bladeward change.
I think they goofed guys
>>
>>93235064
any martial can simply take magic initiate and use it before kicking the door in for dungeon crawls, it's not like they have anything better to concentrate on unless you're an EK or AT using shadow blade or some shit
>>
>>93234960
Lets assume greatsword with +5 Strength, so 12 damage on a hit, plus 7 more if you crit (using average dice rolls).

5e guy make a power attack, so -5 (25% less likely to hit) but will deal 22 damage on hit.

5.5 guy can use graze, so even on a miss he deals 5 damage.

You need a 70% chance to hit for power attack to match the graze attack. The more on-hit damage die you add the worse it gets for power attack. A paladin which deals an extra 1d8 on a hit needs to be an 80% chance to hit for you to break even and even at a 100% chance to hit you're only dealing +2 damage on the power attack - given the number of extra effects that can be tied to on-hit you're almost always getting less value out of a power attack.
>>
File: 20200515_102851.jpg (58 KB, 722x378)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
Are the 5e modules actually bad or did all the youtubers I watched just play D&D as less a game and more a found family simulator

I wanna try DMing and give my forever dms a chance to play because they are very nice to me and I think they deserve a break
>>
>>93235135
They aren't the worst but honestly I have an easier time with my games than modules.
For example, for Curse of Strahd it pissed me fof how much is left at the GM.
If you play as intended, you get 2 companion NPCs for like 1/3 of the campaign, yet there's almsot nothing about how they itneract with the party or are they in general. There's comments of what they'll do in some situations with other NPCs but that's it. It felt like I had to come up.

Strixhaven give you a list of teachers and personnel of the school but nothing else about their personality or even gender, which makes me think why give them names to begin with.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.