[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: aragorn viggo.jpg (342 KB, 1500x1101)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
How would he fare in your setting? Bear in mind he's 6'6", 87 years old, and white.
>>
>>93237892
He was a Monk, obvs.
>>
File: IMG_7036.jpg (196 KB, 1500x805)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
>>93237892
Chances are he’d be in the same position he was before Fellowship, striding through the wilds, guarding civilization from the dangers which lurk in the dark jungles.
>>
>>93237892
He is technically a half elf so he still lives several hundred years.
>>
>>93238283
ehhhhhh more like 1/5000 elf at this point
>>
>>93237892
>How would he fare in your setting?
Based on his stats he would be as strong as your average dragon
>Bear in mind he's 6'6", 87 years old, and white.
Wrong
>>
>>93238810
>instead of doing this with Harad, the realm that mirrors Gondor except it has even more Numenorean blood, don't fucking bother at all with the ip
I still maintain the biggest sin wad not making Sauron white. The maia was driven by his need to enact a perfect order for fuck's sake.
>>
>>93238892
Making Sauron any kind of recognizable human race would've been missing the point.
>>
>>93237892
Everyone in my setting is really gay.
They'd immediately offer their boipussies and mouths to his cock.
>>
>>93238892
>Harad, the realm that mirrors Gondor except it has even more Numenorean blood
huh? did you mean Umbar?
>>
>>93238996
Umbar was only one such Numenorean settlement, alongside Pelargir. It was also really big and important thus its continued relevance.
Most were in what is now Harad and Far Harad, as the majority of the surviving Numenoreans were of the king's men faction and wanted to live far away from the elves of Lindon. Which means Gondor and Arnor can only claim a few ships worth of people to the land of Atalante while the southrons had actual habitations and for a longer period of time.
>>
>>93238810
But that card is white. It’s right there upper right.
>>
File: AragornLegolasGimli.jpg (86 KB, 500x611)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>93237892
He's my character
>>
>>93237892
My setting isn't Middle Earth, so he doesn't exist. If you want a real answer, you're going to have to tell me what he's bringing to the table and what he's trying to achieve with it.
>>
>>93237892
Probably ends up snatched away by the Fair.
>>
>>93240673
I'll forever be amused by the fact that Rhys-Davies was taller than everyone else in the cast.
>>
>>93238923
I meant magic colors, ass.
>>
>>93240949
>Necromancer of Dol Guldur
>Master of nine Ring Wraiths
>white

>>93238923
Well, he was disguised as elf when he and the elves forged the rings of power, but in the third age he is just a shadow with barely a physical form - until he regains his ring.
>>
>>93238750
LOTR Half-Elves get to choose whether they want to be human or elf, if they choose elf they aren't half-anything they're just elves.

Elrond chose elf, his sons chose elf, but at some point Aragorn's line chose human, so they are higher than regular men, but not elves.

It's weird, Tolkien did not think in the mechanistic genetic terms we do today, but rather a more heuristic folk understanding of blood and lineage that was popular at the time.
>>
>>93238283
He is technically a human.
He is neither lower case "half" elf or upper case "Half Elven"

>>93242996
Elrond's brother is the one that chose man's fate.

Elrond's "Half Elven" nature isn't simply someone with mixed human and elf ancestry, it's a specific divine blessing of the family bestowed on Earandil and Elwing's descendants.

There are other cases of men and elves having children, and it's ambiguous in some instances but in other instances it can be assumed the children are just men. In those cases it might work sort of genetically, with the caveat that immortality isn't a physical thing that is passed on biologically, it's either/or.
>>
>>93240908
Right? Dude's like 6 something. Really shows how well they managed the effect. Though I think Christopher Lee is taller if slightly.
>>
File: elrond.jpg (1.67 MB, 1236x1920)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>93242996
>It's weird, Tolkien did not think in the mechanistic genetic terms we do today, but rather a more heuristic folk understanding of blood and lineage that was popular at the time.

I miss when people were just able to accept things rather than need to over analyze everything to such a degree that they miss the actual point being made.
>>
>>93243481
>I miss when people were just able to accept things rather than need to over analyze everything to such a degree that they miss the actual point being made.
That time never existed. You miss being ignorant of it.
>>
>>93238810
The Kang of the Rang!
>>
>>93238810
Lawd of them Rangs
>>
>>93237892
What do you mean? Fare at what?
>>
File: IMG_7082.jpg (169 KB, 828x1315)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>93238009
Also,
>and white
Putting aside that this is obvious b8, movie Aragorn would look fairly different from most of the men in the Empire; given the latitude and all most tend towards olive skin that bronzes easily and skin in the lighter shades of brown is fairly common as well (picrel). But his looks wouldn’t be unheard of: the Empire’s big and used to rule the world, so there’s a lot of variance. But combined with his customs, his looks would mark him as a foreigner/barbarian.
>>
>>93237892
He is very strong, experienced and talented, but he is still fundamentally a man. He would probably keep doing his ranger thing as Strider and quickly be known as a hero in the region he is in, but he would have to adapt to a world with more overt magic and different monsters. He probably would be weirded out by the fact that goblins and hobgoblins are a civilized race.
>>
File: c4ye7k8s6tka1.jpg (186 KB, 768x960)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>93244342
>>
>>93237892
Well my setting is a sci-fi space opera, so probably not great, or at least not markedly better than any other long-lived but primitive person plucked from his primitive home planet and thrust into a world bigger than he ever conceived of.
>>
File: GQqAr-zW8AEdzcW.png (1.01 MB, 768x600)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>93243481
There was never a time without the overthinker embalmer type.
Before this, they were shitting up literature circles and academia.
Well, they still are, but you know, they're here too now.

What really sucks is if you try to lock them out you instead get surrounded by their opposite: the meaningless rulebreaking whimsical "fun tyrant" type.
>>
>>93237892
People are going to be very confused why a doppelganger of Viggo Mortensen in renfaire garb showed up in the middle of a military base. Sadly, no amount of Aryan ubermenschness can stand up to automatic fire.
In the lower floors, the pencil pushers are going to have a fun time debating why the Lotus Engine created a copy of a living person when usually all it does is spawn nightmare monsters and wonder potential applications.
>>
Rolled 6 (1d12)

>>93253504
Actually hang on, let’s see if I can’t have a little fun with this. Roll a die.

Aragorn appears…
1. On the lead ship of a chalak clan fleet
2. In a protected city on Caeros within cybran space.
3. On the surface of Moraal, near a dethek underground city
4. In the forests of Edova Prima, near an edovan city
5. In an outworlder sanctuary post on Kroll, capital world of the hokh
6. In the savannas of Kass, near a kyn freehold city
7. On a world in the process of being consumed by the nyarans
8. On the glaciers of Tar’haravan, near a tor’qua city
9. In an outworlder sanctuary post on Varjra Prime, throne world of the varjrens
10. On an elai world (roll on table 2 to determine nation)
11. On a random primitive world (roll on table 3 to determine tech level)
12. On Earth (current year: 1950 AD).
>>
>>93254618
Neat, the kyn! My favorite of the races I’ve made. Okay I’ll whip something up for this. Might take a few hours.

Short version of the kyn is that they’re felinoids who are aesthetically Arabic but have a culture based on a mix of actual house cats and WWII-era fighter pilots.
>>
Rolled 4 (1d5)

>>93254647
Oh, I suppose we should also roll to determine at what point Aragorn ends up on Kass.

1. Strider, just before heading to Bree to meet with the Hobbits
2. Member of the Fellowship, journeying through Moria.
3. Following the sundering of the Fellowship, on the road to Helm’s Deep
4. Entering Dwimorberg, looking to recruit a ghost army
5. King Elessar, shortly following the conclusion of the War of the Ring.
>>
>>93237892
Fare at what?
>>
>>93254963
Stop replying to yourself.
>>
>>93237892
White being key, with that powerful Human bloodline he'll pull 150 easy
>>
>>93256385
He said, nearly four hours after the last of a chain of only three posts, which were even on-topic *and* involved dice rolls and thereby made a game out of OP’s premise.

I think you’re the problem, Anonz
>>
>>93237892
humans and elves are separate species and can't interbreed, therefore he and his people can't exist. so assuming he's just human, he's probably pretty old and frail
>>
>>93256500
So like you'd think that was true but I see mulattos all over. Granted they are mules and sterile, which is why making them is pushed so hard by the population reduction crew, but still. Did Elrond have kids?
>>
>>93256416
Do not talk back to me.
>>
>>93256609
Yakity-yak.
>>
>>93256546
Not all seperate species can interbreed dumbass. This ain't ligers and mules it's like Cats and Dogs.
>>
File: OIG4.jpg (263 KB, 1024x1024)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
>>93237892
Right! Back from work and settled in.

>>93254618>>93254647 >>93254963

1. Kass has only 70% Earth's gravity, so the very first thing Aragorn will have to do is get used to the fact that he now weighs markedly less. Walking and running will take a little bit of effort to re-learn, though the difference isn't as profound as, say, the Moon or Mars.

2. He's not going to be in a good mood given that he's in the middle of trying to save Gondor from the armies of Sauron and has been suddenly whisked across universe. But he's still a basically good person.

3. Pic related are kyn. His first thought is probably going to be "monster", but the first kyn he meet are probably going to be civilians who are more inclined to run than fight, and he'll notice their lack of hostility pretty quick. Cops will be called but I doubt it'll be a fight.

4. Compared to kyn, humans have about equal daylight vision but much worse night vision, worse hearing, MUCH worse sense of smell, worse reaction times and worse spatial-temporal reasoning, and are slower and less dexterous. But kyn are also weaker, frailer, and have much less endurance, and have worse aim. They're also shorter than human average, nevermind Aragorn (kyn average 1.3, humans 1.6, and Aragorn is 1.9). He's basically a mighty glacier.

5. Aragorn is primitive, but not stupid. He'll assume that technology is magic but he's going to put together that the kyn aren't actively hostile to him and aren't aligned with Sauron, and are just as confused about him as he is about them.

7. Language will be a major problem. My setting does not have universal translators. Aragorn will probably be taught Standard, the galactic trade language, as it's designed to be easy to learn and he probably can't pronounce all the sounds in kyn languages.

cont'd...
>>
>>93256500
All the humans of Numenor got extended lifespans, it's just that the royal family was descended from a half-elf and had even longer lifespans, it capped out around 400 for the royals IIRC.
>>
>>93257565
cont'd.

6. I can't count

8. Cultural differences are going to be a thing. Kyn society did not have the same gender norms as what Aragorn's used to (soldiery is traditionally feminine, for example) even before equality became sexes became the norm centuries ago. Aragorn will probably be able to brush off the changes as the kyn being obviously inhuman, though.

9. Aragorn is going to be desperate to get back to Arda, but the kyn have no idea where that is and he has no way of telling them (assuming it's even in the same universe). He looks like an alien race they're used to called elai, but his language doesn't match any known elai language, and more to the point he has some gross and obvious anatomical differences (red blood instead of black; two kidneys instead of one, much longer lifespan, etc.), and once they get their hands on Aragorn's DNA the lack of genetic modification signatures will make it obvious that he's not elai...but it'll also make it obvious that he's related to them (99%+ DNA match). This will actually cause more than a little trepidation among the kyn because all the non-elai races are worried about what might happen if the elai ever find their original homeworld since it could serve to unite them.

10. Ultimately, Aragorn will be welcome to stay on Kass, but the kyn will limit his ability to interact with elai. This will probably eventually lead to him trying to make an escape from Kass (probably with the help of some sympathetic kyn who'd even go with him; he is highly charismatic), which may even be successful, though ultimately kyn fears will be overblown: Aragorn can't show anyone how to find Earth.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.