[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: maxresdefault.jpg (93 KB, 1280x720)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
Noob here, gonna give selling on Ebay a go, i have a full set of 5 figures that are packaged in the style of those retro star wars figures. I know i'll get more money for the full set of 5 but i feel like packaging them/shipping them is gonna cause some issues. Do i bite the bullet and box all 5 up in a big box or stay safe and sell them separately?
>>
>>10974388
I would suggest you look and do a number of searches (you'll need to search by year, brand, size, etc.) and see if anyone is trying to sell any of the 5 figures individually and what they are selling for. I would three of the best listings, whatever appeals to you as a potential buyer and "WATCH" them to see if they sell and to see if you are made an offer (which means that the seller had had the listing up for a while and it hasn't sold and thus - in order to sell it - the website 'encourages' the sellers to make some potential buyer a lower offer to try to unload the crap.

THIS tells you if the pricing is reasonable or gives you a sense of that.

Finally, I would try to get a good idea of what the five figures are worth, take good pictures, plenty of angles, if they were ever opened, take pictures of the loose figures front back top to bottom, angling the joints that move if possible, etc.

Test out all the joints so you can say: figures articulate well, no joints are loose and none are too tight, etc. Make sure to read a handful of random listings that look good from sellers with plenty of high feedback AS SELLERS and copy some of their basic language.

I like to add the "from a collector with toys proudly displayed in a smoke free, pet free home' to mine so that people know I am selling my own toys, not flipping shit I picked up at flea markets or bought for pennies at a Ross/Big Lots. If you do smoke or have pets, be honest about it.

And then I would make a listing for the set of 5 and post it but price it at $10 or more than you want. I would even goes as high as $20 if these are really valuable. Or some similar idea. Better to go down and get what they are worth than to end up selling them to some lucky soul for less than you could have made.
>>
>>10974398
they're actually super rare my chemical romance figures from 2005, 2 of the figures alone go for around $500 even in crappy card condition (i've checked sold listings), i'm planning on selling them as a set but i'm scared a large box that'll fit all the 5 figures will cause shipping issues, am i overthinking things?
>>
>>10974427
An approach I've seen other sellers use is separating them in their own auctions, but having the auctions end around the same time (~5 or 10 minutes apart). That way if someone wants them all of them or if someone wants just one, they both have fair game. Just throwing that out there.
>>
>>10974427
If they are that expensive alone, I would not try to sell them as a LOT, unless you are just wanting to quickly unload them and give someone a deal.

Very few people are currently spending $100s on collectibles. I had been eyeing a statue for over 24 months so I check out the prices. Many listings over $100 are still up and not moving. An auction where I bid as much as $65 last year was the closest I got and I regret (even though the shipping was $29) not going for it a little bit.

I found someone selling the same figure with a damaged box a month ago and bid on it (starting bid was high) and was the sole bidder, and with shipping, I paid less than I would have paid from that auction last year.

But obviously people who have 100s to spend weren't interested and just passed it by so it fell into my lap because even at a high starting bid, it still sold to someone.

>super rare
Also, you can't necessarily go by this. I have some import CDs and DVDs that I know want to unload, I'm reasonably pricing them against the kinds of marks-up for what they sold even at flea market or record shops and in months no one has even inquired or made an offer or bit.

Rare and super collectible is meaningless. Unless you are talking about something like a Taylor Swift signed autographed one of kind pressing vinyl or something that is in the zeitgeist right this minute - and sorry but MCR is not that at the moment.
>>
https://www.ebay.com/sch/ebayadvsearch

Remember to search for sold listings and use that as a reference.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (15 KB, 330x252)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
Sort of related but I'm selling a fiugre on eBay and how is this even possible? Are view counts just completely unreliable?
>>
I’ve sold a number complete sets of figures together (expensive and rare ones like your example - for example a whole complete set of Palisades Invader Zim figures, or ninja turtles sets, etc, and sold figures that were up at $800-ish mark).

>>10974388
>I know i'll get more money for the full set of 5

If you are selling the whole set together, be prepared for them to be listed for a long time before they actually sell, like 1+ years or more.

Selling together has the benefit of getting rid of them all at once, but the drawback that only someone who is looking for a full set will buy them, and they’re at a way higher price point.

I actually tend to find (and I do it when I'm selling) that selling a whole set together is a bit cheaper then selling them individually, for example if each individual fig is $100 (so $500 for a set of 5) you would probably sell as a set for $90 each, i.e. $450.
...Just find out what the sold for price of each fig is (always go by the “sold for” price of recently ended listings, not what people are actively listing them for) then plus all 5 figures together, then chop off $10%.

>>10974388
>but i feel like packaging them/shipping them is gonna cause some issues. Do i bite the bullet and box all 5 up in a big box or stay safe and sell them separately?

If the figures you’re selling are the 2005 My Chemical Romance figures that I'm seeing on google images, they don’t look like they’ll take up too much room, I’ve sent way, way bigger boxes in the mail without issue.

The important thing (for something that's $1,000+) is make sure you get extra coverage, not just tracking with a signature, but also postal insurance to the value of the figures, if the thing goes missing in the post you want to get all your money back.

-In general, take heaps of good quality pics, of the figs and any imperfections in the packaging, explain how they've been stored (on display or in storage away from light or a mix). Hope that helps.
>>
>>10975781
Yes, they're random.

There are also way too many people that don't know SQL and deliver garbage data to the front-end. Especially H1Bs and eBay is stuffed with them.
>>
>>10974388
List all five for an exorbitant price for a while, what have you got to lose? Nobody on ebay is your friend after all. If they don't move you may have to separate them.
People ship big expensive stuff all the time, it's not a big deal.
>>
>>10975781
>>10976486
You can actually watch things without clicking into the listing FYI.
I actually do it a lot. They're probably not super serious about buying it though and using it more like A bookmark that they may or may not ever follow up on.
Or at least that's how I use eBay watchlist.
>>
>>10975781
Technically, if you are automatically carrying over your item and letting it re-post, the watcher count may be a carry over from a prior listing.

A listing I was watching ends and re-runs and my 'watching' of it sometimes gets ported. If the seller cancels it or manually reposts it, I get those "second chance" alerts, instead of automatically being 'rewatched' on it.

I also agree with >>10976675; you can 'watch' something just on the surface, which I do with prices when I am bidding on an auction. No point in paying MORE for an auction to what people are willing to actually sell as a BUY ME NOW. It surprises me that more people don't do shit like this and you can see people get carried away with bidding and overbid for crap.
>>
>>10975841
Thanks for this reply, all have been noted and i'll look into postal insurance. The MCR fanbase is extremely rabid so i have no doubt these will sell, i'm just trying to avoid any monkey business, i'll bubblewrap and packing peanut the shit out of the box.
>>
>>10974388
What’s better, eBay or Mercari?
>>
>>10984734
ebay for me, the sellers are much more established, mercari seems like the wild west
>>
>>10984734
People on mercari and marketplace are delusional. I've never looked for a toy or game over there that wasn't priced even higher than ebay. The sites are less reputable, less populated ghettos and yet everyone using them is some "i know what i got" mfer pricing their shit way too high as if anyone wants to pay them more for their shitty listing with low quality pics over a store on ebay that has 100% feedback and tens of thousands of sales.
>>
>20 watchers
>nobody buying
man
>>
>>10974388
Why not try the bst here? You will have to pay taxes if you make too much on ebay.
>>
>>10990070
like I'd trust anyone from here
>>
>>10990002
>21 watchers
>100 views
i mean you would think it would sell at that point
>>
>>10990927
it probably will eventually but that could be years
>>
>>10974388
Just sold something for $145 and it has me a bit paranoid since its my first time selling sonething above $50. If somebody does a return claim and sends me the wrong item what are my options?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.