[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I mean when company's would make a big flagship toy and just sell it normally. Or make an entire line of big fuck-off vehicles for 1/18 (ie. 21st Century Toys ww2 planes & tanks). I know of inflation and financial reasons but i still feel that company's can make something big and not sell it as some "crowd-fund 400% overpriced coonsoom slop" deal
>>
>>10977832
Its fucking nuts I can barely find affordable 1/12 vehicles under 200 bucks and 1/18 figures are almost matching the prices of lower end 1/12 imports to say nothing of 1/18 vehicles
>>
>>10977832
What about Pegasus? They had a flagship 1/16 Bell X-1, albeit, it was a snap-kit.

Also, the gear stance on the Bf-109 is pretty off.
>>
File: soviet compare threefour.jpg (761 KB, 1722x1083)
761 KB
761 KB JPG
>>10978025
>1/18 figures are almost matching the prices of lower end 1/12 imports to say nothing of 1/18 vehicles
Joytoy collector?
Because their shit is super overpriced, despite being mass manufactured and using low quality plastics.

Acid Rain and those girlie figures at least have an excuse, because Acid Rain has been catering to the WWR fanbase with a shit ton of paint apps. The girlie figures are ultra-low production numbers.

Anyway, 1:18 vehicles have always cost a pretty penny. In the 00s, the motorworks diecast stuff were always more expensive than imports (~$30-50 vs $~25).
So 1:18 vehicles of the same quality today are almost price prohibitive, because few people can afford that much, muchless have the space for something as big as an Abrams or modern jet.

pic aren't even half of my vehicles. I own doubles and even triples for some. I also own the 21st century and motorworks versions and more
>>
>>10978036
They also did a 1:18 Gee Bee Z. I miss the days of true 1:18 vehicles having multiple manufacturers. Hobby Boss is doing kits in the scale, so it's not all lost.
21st was pretty lackadaisical about accuracy, lol. Definitely not for rivet counters.
>>
My favorite toy as a kid was a huge, but cheaply made, willys jeep. Like dollar store tier shit. Really creaky axles that would bend if you put any weight on it. One solid piece of injection molded plastic with a couple things glued on like the windshield.
I loved it because it was big enough for all my actions figures and my sister's Barbies to occupy the seats.
>>
>>10977832
the Iraq war
>>
>>10978068
A tomahawk would be awesome, id even put together a proper flight team to man it. Joy toy has some stuff at a decent price, im thinking of checking them out. Oh, you may want to look at dollar stores for the final faction series. Theyve got a dune buggy type deal that you can get for $2.50. Oh yeah, whats that krieger looking guy at bottom left?
>>
>>10978074
Maybe Atlantis will re-release the Aurora 1/16 Hiller Hornet. The only one I know that I can purchase is $250.
>>
File: soviet acid rain laurels.png (3.51 MB, 1737x1251)
3.51 MB
3.51 MB PNG
>>10978181
Acid Rain's Laurel mech and they've made like a dozen variants so far. They even made yellow construction ones.
Left is the first one. Right is like the 5th or 4th which is a paratroopers version that comes with a parachute (don't even think about seeing if it'll work).

Pretty cool clunky mechs.
>>
>>10978068
>Because their shit is super overpriced
Yes, Subby, we know, you're a poorfag. You don't need to remind us every five seconds.
>>
>>10977832
The issue is, 1/12 isn't really viable for big vehicles, and 1/18 isn't viable without them. At 1/12 most vehicles are just too bloody big to be released at retail without MASSIVE concessions to quality/detail. Meanwhile, 1/18 figures are by themselves pretty mediocre next to their 1/12 counterparts by simple virtue of being too small to fit decent detail or articulation in. And without good figures to put in them, nobody's gonna buy the vehicles regardless of how good they are. Also even at 1/18, vehicles are massive space-hogs, and especially nowadays that the housing market is being fucked to death it's less practical to have a big setup for that kind of display. And without vehicles, most 1/18 figures are just patently inferior to their larger brethren.
That's changing a bit as of late- the Halo 1/18 stuff from Jazwares is IIRC pretty decent and JoyToy's 40K stuff is pretty much carrying the scale by itself- but the combination of 1/12 just being better to work with for the figures themselves and huge toys just not being viable thanks to the socio-economic hellscape we live in now has definitely done damage to the viability of such products.
I will say the crowdfunded stuff we've been getting for 1/12 vehicles has been pretty good; I don't have one myself but a friend of mine has the Classified HISS Tank and that thing is worth every penny it went for. Huge, lots of details and features, full interior, several figures and accessories etc.
>>
>>10977832
The biggest reason you don't see those big flagship toys anymore is because there are no dedicated Toy Stores left. With Toys R Us around, they wanted those giant toys to help draw in attention and fill up shelf space. With department stores, they'd rather use that extra room for expanded clothing sections as the mark up on clothes is absurd and they make money hand over fist in those areas. Smaller toys sell faster and the less shelf space required the more product can be put out leading to more potential sales. The big things only really sell around the holidays, but smaller stuff is easier to impulse buy.

As soon as Toys R Us folded in the US, target, walmart and all the stores like them instantly and dramatically reduced their toy sections because there's no real competition in the market.
That said, the Classified line, and Hasbro in general has been putting some fantastic 1:12 scale vehicles. In addition to the two Haslabs, they've done multiple smaller scale rides and have just put out their first medium sized vehicle in the Vamp. If successful, Hasbro has said they'd start releasing more vehicles of a similar size to online retailers. They've also put out 1:12 scale vehicles in the past for their Star Wars Black line, as well as a *really* nice boat for their short lived Fortnite line. If you can find that for a discount it's an absolute steal and makes me really hopeful we might eventually see a Classified Water Moccasin as it's essentially the same size. .
>>
File: Pitv2.jpg (912 KB, 1600x1200)
912 KB
912 KB JPG
>>10978068
I always did love that pic, really put in perspective the scale of some of these things, especially the HISS "Tanks". Even the PoC one, which feels and looks beefy like some monstrous futurecraft assault vehicle is actually pretty small compared to real world hardware. Understandably so since they wanted kids to be able to actually play with em, but it's still funny knowing just how small a HISS would actually be.

This pic must be at least 10 years old at this point, makes me nostalgic for the time way back when I actually had space to spread out my 1:18 stuff. I was mostly Joes only at that point with some True Heroes and World Peace Keeper vehicles thrown in, as I felt other lines either didn't have the quality or were way too expensive to get into. Nowadays I'm pretty much collecting all the different 1:18 military stuff, but sadly don't have nearly the same amount of space, freedom, time or energy to let them all loose.

Damn responsibilities of middle age creeping up on you.
>>
>>10977832
it stopped around 2008 for sure, I remember getting the Sky Captain version of one of those planes, they had sweet details for about $30-$40
>>
>>10979962
How you know it’s subby?
>>
>>10984753
Distinctive posting style with Reddit spacing, crying about how JoyToy is "overpriced", reused image with a filename, etc. He has certain "tells" that instantly give him away.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.