[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_7348.jpg (2.53 MB, 1750x1170)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB JPG
Redpill me on Flushing Chinatown in Queens, NYC

I want to travel but not go to far. I live in upstate NY so I wouldn’t even be leaving the state.

All I know is that it’s the biggest Chinatown in the US now. And street view on Google Maps make it look comfy.
>>
>>2629060
Honestly, I also thought about moving to NYC (got a lot of money saved and a good grad degree) and this place looked really interesting.

Any NYC natives can tell me more about it?
>>
>>2629060
Reminds me of a girl i know.
She was working in a bridal shop in Flushing, Queens, 'til her boyfriend kicked her out in one of those crushing scenes.
>>
>>2629060
Best Chinatown in New York
>>
How common is WMAF there?

I want it but don’t feel like flying all the way to Asia for it.
>>
>>2629067
Why?
>>
>>2629062
The minimum you’ll need for rent is $1500 for a single room.
>>
>advertisements
:/
>advertisements (moonrunes)
:O
>>
>>2629060
It's right underneath the runway path of LGA. You like hearing plane engine noise ie. HK Kai Tak airport? I hope you don't mind your buiding shakes when I plane pass by your house 500' above your head.

The total area place is pretty small, and it's a bit out of the way. The streets are much wider and somewhat cleaner than the Manhattan Chinatown. The Chinese supermarkets are in better shape. There are even Chinese malls.

Flushing is mostly populated by mainland Chinese, whereas other Chinatowns in NYC are populated by HK/Taiwanese immigrants from 40 years ago.

Traffic is not great, but Jamaica-Van Dyck-Flushing traffic have always been pretty bad.

What other questions would you like answer?
>>
>>2629060
would it be difficult to just drive from upstate NY down to NYC, make a day trip then go back home that night or stay the weekend in some cheap burb areas then commute into the city? That's what I would do honestly. Trip to asia for the cost of a tank of gas.
>>
>>2629114
What’s rent like?

Does it have a good night scene? Decent bars and clubs?

How easy is it to find a Chinese gf?
>>
>>2629156
I’m about 6 hours away so I’d be at the very least a weekend trip. I would need to take off work.
>>
>>2629156
can't you take a train?
>>
>>2629214
you are pretty lucky you have such easy access to NYC and the whole east coast basically, 6 hours is a drop in the bucket for a road trip.
>>
>>2629174
$2000 ish? Go on StreetEasy. If you have connections you can probably score a rent stabilized unit for 50% less.

Not a night person but you want night scene, go to Brooklyn. Flushing is all old people and young families.

>>2629156
Stay in NJ and take the PATH train in daily.
>>
It’s just street vendors selling knockoffs and bad Chinese restaurants. That’s all Chinatown is in every city.
>>
>>2629060
Kek, I was just here. It's the most overwhelmingly Chinese Chinatown I've been to in my life. Prepare to be surrounded by herds of Chinese people and you're the only non-Chinese in sight.

It'd probably be fun if you're reeeeeeeeeeealy about that Asian experience without wanting to leave the US but I can't comment on living there, but I bet you could pull a Chinese chick just by sheer numbers game, there have to be a decent number who are curious about dating someone a little exotic to them
>>
>>2630686
The Brooklyn Chinatowns are poorer. Flushing actually does feel like you’re in China.

There is a nightlife in Flushing, although there’s a ton of karaoke bars.
>>
>>2630686
I remember it but it was kind of a shit thread.
>>
Best restaurants in Flushing?
>>
File: HaiInterior3.jpg (142 KB, 1200x797)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>2629060
Hai di Lao Hot Pot is spied on by the CCP

Pic Related
>>
>>2631718

I remember a great restaurant when I was there called Sentosa (might be malaysian or singaporean).

>>2629174
they have authentic chinese street food at night. it's pretty good
>>
>>2629060
It is not comfy, it stinks, it's crowded, everyone is rude, the food sucks, and there's old toothless prostitutes hanging around.
>>
>>2629060
flushing is awesome, i used to live there. maybe i'm biased cause i'm chinese.. yes, it's crowded and gross but it's also homey.
>>2631718
a cheap eat could be chungmoo, it's a small korean restaurant.
>>
>>2631967
How would a white boy be treated if he moved there?
>>
>>2629089
its actually chinese
>>
theres a lot of new condos buildings going up around Flushing still. It seems to be getting more densely populated
>>
>>2632185
I’ve seen people that are worried it’s being gentrified by rich Chinese nationals. A lot of rich people in China are scared of getting prosecuted by the CCP and so they get real estate in other countries as a place to store their money and a getaway.

It’s a huge problem in Canada.
>>
I lived there for 1 year ask me anything. I fucking loved it. Everyone there is some either some old Taiwanese grandma who moved there in the 70s or some 20 year Chinese wealthcore Douyin faggot who drives an AMG and chain smokes. I lived in NYC for a while and it was a great change of pace because the food is delicious and cheap, the people are friendly unlike your typical jogger or yuppie or hipster neighborhood, and it's really easy to get around the city because you're so close to the LIRR and the 7 Express and the airports. The rent wasn't too bad but it's god awful everywhere. The downsides were living under the landing pathway for LGA made me lose my hearing and there are some public housing projects nearby where tweakers would hide out during the day and then come out to rob people at night. I saw 3 robberies on my block the year I lived there, but no shootings unlike other neighborhoods I lived in.

>>2629062
It's Taiwanese and Mainlanders instead of Canto immigrants like Manhattan.

>>2629088
Not common at all probably 99 Chinese-chinese couple for every WMAF.

>>2629105
Roosevelt and Main Street are okay but if you walk for 5 minutes you get on a comfy side street so it's not that bad. I didn't really hear the noise.

>>2629174
It's probably the cheapest neighborhood that isn't a complete shithole overrun with gangsters. But that's for a reason. A lot of the homes are old and falling apart.

>>2629156
If you can take bronx-whitestone bridge or throgsneck bridge it'd be fine but don't go through Manhattan.

>>2629620
eh once you get used to the area there are lots of little gems just like every other neighborhood in nyc.

>>2629639
it is kind of overwhelmingly Chinese. if you don't like Chinese you will hate it.

>>2631718
my favorite is Shanghai You Garden on the side street where all the hookers hang out and then there is a guy that sells freshly grilled skewers at prince st and Roosevelt ave. If you go in the morning check out Fay Da Bakery.
>>
>>2632232
answering some more

>>2631723
yeah that's one thing you definitely notice is that the place is crawling with glowies who are keeping tabs on the Taiwanese and all the rich kids who are children of high ranking CCP members. it's a mess. when NY times dropped that scoop that CCP has sovereign police stations in America their HQ was on Main Street in flushing. in the news all the time you hear about some mainlander drama bullshit, murders and extortion and such.

>>2632152
I'm white and it was fine. it's New York people aren't really surprised by your skin color. you see all kinds of people all the time, so don't expect the red carpet or anything.

>>2632185
it's all the rich CCP members trying to move their cash out of the country.

>>2632191
you definitely notice the wealthcore mainlanders everywhere. they're pretty annoying but they invest in their uncle's restaurants so its not all bad. they just smoke and drink and double park their benzes.
>>
>>2632232
>>2632233
How easy was it to get a Chinese gf?

Should I go for an FOB or an ABC girl?
>>
>>2632232
>>2632233
Best bars and clubs? Good places to pick up chicks?
>>
>>2632232
>It's Taiwanese and Mainlanders instead of Canto immigrants like Manhattan.

Which part of the mainland are they from? Fuijan?
>>
Flushing is literally the headquarters of the Chinese Triad Gangsters in America

https://www.propublica.org/article/chinese-organized-crime-us-marijuana-market
https://www.propublica.org/article/how-beijing-chinese-mafia-europe-protect-interests
https://www.propublica.org/article/china-cartels-xizhi-li-money-laundering
>>
>>2632191
>scared of getting prosecuted by the CCP

Probablaay because they're all criminals, embezzlers and scammers. It's the same kind of people crossing the Mexico border.
>>
>>2629062
>I also thought about moving to NYC (got a lot of money saved and a good grad degree)
It'd be the worst investment of money you'd ever make.
>>
File: IMG_1471.jpg (75 KB, 1242x735)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
I’m a white guy who lives in Flushing now after moving here from the suburbs of Chicago so here’s my take on a few things
1) Yes i recommend coming here
2) The rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is genuinely around 1400 but i personally pay 800 for my 1 room in a shared place i found by literally posting up papers on a light post and calling the wanted ads posted in a window at a grocery store . I’ve done this twice and both times have been good . Alternatively you can get the app called Huaren168 which is their Craigslist but it’s in Chinese , real CL has few postings here . I do speak Chinese desu which helped with the search a lot .
3) This area is pretty safe . I do go out at night and I’ve never had any incidents . I have been hassled 4 or 5 times during my 2 years here though .
4) unexpectedly you will probably make a considerably higher salary . Not only is Manhattan accessible by the subway , but it’s New York City . I came here with -2000 , went into debt for the apartment and no paycheck when starting to -6300 and now I have 12k in the bank , it’s been 2 years . I do save on purpose though , but that just wouldn’t be possible back home
4) You don’t need a car but if you have one the cost of insurance is very high
5) The prostitutes here are gross , fly to Thailand instead , they are here though .
6) much less special attention here for speaking Chinese
7) New York City has no cohesive self and no sense of community at all , making the kinds of friends i have back home is difficult without drinking alcohol , even then . More people means individuals are more expendable , more inconvenient , and this creates an environment that isn’t warm towards outsiders
>>
>>2632724
There a word filter on the word léss? That’s annoying .
Trying it now
The number 3 is less than 4
>>
>>2629060
I spent 5 years saving up as much money as I can so I can be a home owner anywhere else that isn’t New York but if you really want to live in that shithole god bless you.
>>
>>2632438
Mainly fujian or inner china
>>
I’m telling you right now, soon Asians are going to take over Queens completely.

They’re almost 30% of the borough population. Latinos are still the majority but it’s shrinking.

Queens will soon be Asian land.
>>
>>2632191
>A lot of rich people in China are scared of getting prosecuted by the CCP and so they get real estate in other countries as a place to store their money and a getaway.
that is the cover story. while a significant portion are family members of rich businessmen, the vast majority are chinese people who were given zero interest loans by the chinese government to go abroad and integrate into US/Canada/Australia and become US-Chinese, Australian-Chinese and work for US-Chinese etc interests.
the rich non working daughters and nieces of businessmen may have more presence in canada because they are flashing their cash but most of the houses are bought by normal chinese who are making use of special programs by the chinese government.
>>
>>2633830
Why would the CCP encourage people to leave while there is a fertility crisis going on and the CCP is trying to get people to breed?
>>
>>2634150
where can I obtain a government assigned qt3.14 chinese wife
>>
>>2634150
To promote PRC interests and develop Chinese businesses abroad.
>>
Flushing is my destination to become a white boytoy for rich Asian MILFs who will hopefully give me a lot of money.
>>
>>2632232
>Shanghai You

Fuck yeah. This place is the best. I go here all the time with my wife.

I was worried when I saw it on instagram recently and was freaking out that the influencers would ruin it. But then we went a few weeks later and it was the same old place and wasn't even busy
>>
>>2634177
I thought the CCP is trying to stop brain drain from happening to their country.
>>
>>2632426
there aren't really any good bars or clubs there unless you're Chinese and like smoking and doing ktv. if you want to pick up regular girls just go to the city or Brooklyn.

>>2632424
it's easy as fuck in NYC. they are desperate for BWC. you see so many WMAF couples it's embarrassing but not in flushing. not many white people there honestly.

>>2632438
no the mainlanders are all wealthcore kids from Beijing or Shanghai. they all drive porches and BMWs, go to NYU and their dad is some middle tier CCP member. I don't know if you've met many Chinese but they are of a certain type. there are some poor mainlanders but they're all very old and moved a long time ago, like in the 80s.

>>2634722
yeah it's not gentrified at all. I think it's like the bronx where it's ungentrifiable. the bronx is just obnoxiously Dominican and Puerto Rican so if you're not from that culture you'll just blow your brains out from the insanity. Flushing is like that but with Chinese. if you're not used to the 24/7 smell of pig guts and blood and old guys spitting in the street and people blowing cigarette smoke in your face and people slovenly eating raw birds and shit you're not going to last long. it's crowded and dirty and loud but IDK I still like it. it's my favorite neighborhood in NYC but I like Chinese people a lot more than your average American.
>>
>>2634913
>it's easy as fuck in NYC. they are desperate for BWC. you see so many WMAF couples it's embarrassing but not in flushing. not many white people there honestly.

So where do I go to meet Asian cuties as a white guy?
>>
Looks kino:
https://youtu.be/l4zYMm70v-c
>>
This is funny I was born and lived in Whitestone next to flushing and now I'm living in Japan and yet I felt more alien in Flushing then ever before in Japan.

My take on 2024 Flushing is that is overcrowded as fucked and dirty. The Koreans really imo piss me off because of just how agro they are to everyone else. My parents remember how the neighborhood went from Jewish/Italian to spanish/Colombian to Korean/Japanese to Hongkongers to mainlanders.
>>
>>2635062
just walk around Williamsburg and LES looking depressed until you bump into one

>>2636176
it's definitely a ghetto
>>
>>2629060
If you were flushing why didn't it go down the drain?
>>
>>2634913
Sounds like it is gentrifying but instead of rich American whites it’s rich foreign Chinese people who are doing the gentrification.
>>
>>2636176
>>2636546
yes exactly, but I will say this, queens is alright imo. It was never really a ghetto but never really super gentrified either. Still expensive though.

My issue with flushing is that its so overcrowded and you still have ugy as fuck post war 1950's/60's buildings that most people live in.
Its also got the same urban grime you find in Mahatma/Brooklyn.
I actually don't mind the rich Chinese comming over. They done a lot to help re-vitalize the downtown area, but there's still a lot of broken and in-need of TLC places. Not being racist they have also a far more focused effort on education and discipline you don't find with other poorer communities like blacks because they know how shitty things can really be from the motherland.

Also you know china is shit when people from the mainland come to Flushing because it has world class Chinese cuisine over mainland china.

Consider places like Whitestone and Bayside OP they are more suburban but still in NYC proper and near Flushing but these are traditionally rich areas (I.e Trump is from Bayside).
>>
File: 0554_bronx_whitestone.jpg (67 KB, 750x438)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>2636814
also Im happy to have grown up in place that has such kino parks, like frances Lewis and Flushing meadows.
>>
>>2629060
Every few weekends I'll take the 7 over there and buy some produce then get something to eat, usually from yukun shaobing. Sometimes walk to flushing meadows or the gardens.
>>2629088
I have never seen another white person in (downtown) Flushing.
>>
I posted this in some other thread at some point, the question probably got answered, but can't fucking find it. Oh well.

What is there to do there other than eat?
>>
Should I visit NYC Chinatown if later next year I'm visiting Honk Kong? Or I shouldn't waste my time there and instead do more american things?
>>
>>2629088
I went on a date with a chinese woman in flushing back in december and was the only white person in the area.
>>
i didn't think i would love nyc as much as i did...i did really only hang out in manhattan and long island and one god tier lunch in brooklyn at this restaurant called kashkar
>>
the chinese in america don't use gutter oil do they?
>>
File: IMG_7473.jpg (67 KB, 750x713)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
NYC will soon be Chinese clay.
>>
>>2634150
Why would you colonize a country? Think Timmy, think. Just look what the Catholic Church did to Europe when it was a real country, now we see their influence everywhere.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.