[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is it possible for an anglophone to find work in Montreal?

I don't have a lot of work experience, I'd like to go back to school. I studied in Montreal for about a year when I was younger and loved it. I want to return, but I only really have work experience in retail. Has anyone else lived there extensively? Is it possible for Anglos to make a living?
>>
>>2639844
Saar
>>
>Move to an area that speaks another language
>Cry because you have to learn the language
Why the fuck do Anglos act like entitled refugees? You want the perks of a society but want your own society there? Well fuck off.
>>
>>2639848
tu es un grand fagot
>>
>>2639850
Lol. I love seeing anglo retards getting replaced by Punjabis.
As they say in Ontario: ਇੱਕ ਡਿੱਕ, ਚਿੱਟੀ ਕੁੱਕੜ ਖਾਓ
>>
>>2639858
>doubles down on the faggotry
Impressive
>>
>>2639844
it's easier in montreal than anywhere else in quebec. My friend doesn't speak french and goes by just fine. There's some neighboorhood that are also more english if you're near montreal
>>
>>2639858
Kek
>>
>>2639879
What does your friend do for work?
>>
>I don't have a lot of work experience, I'd like to go back to school.
and study what? a lot of anglo students at concordia and mcgill shoot themselves in the foot when they study at an anglo school that has limited ability to get them job placements if they don't know french
it's definitely possible, you're just going to be limited in terms of jobs/salary, like you're not going to be getting a retail job where it's legally required for you to speak french to customers if you don't speak french, there's still multiple smaller businesses, less than 40 employees, that are anglo

montreal also isn't cheap like it used to be

>>2639858
quebecers are being replaced by haitians and nafris
bbq is going to send you guys a lot more
>>
Would love to work remote in Quebec but Canadian immigration is insane. Region-locking their quality of life.
>>
File: orRBeDri.png (105 KB, 200x200)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
if you work for a random smaller company or have a degree/remote job, you could get by for sure. You'll probably have to either have friends help ya out with job connections, meet strangers at bars who have openings at their jobs or just luck out. It's not impossible but there are laws in place here and places aren't nearly as willing to take a chance on anglos if you don't speak any french as they can just pick up any french cunt here within half a second. Most places won't hire me in the labour field, even when I'm overqualified because I don't speak enough french.

t. Hoser who moved here 3 years ago and is planning to leave (own reasons but also) because french is easily one of the gayest languages, hands down and I have zero desire to learn it, even if I back Quebec as it's own.
>>
>>2639844
Anglos are faggots
>>
la bosse
>>
>>2640007
he worked at a movie theatre, then as a mechanic and now he's in IT
>>
>>2639848
To be fair, there are English-instruction colleges across the world. They’re very common. It’s a bit strange that there aren’t very many in Quebec province of all places. French-speakers seem to be the only people who are very insistent on this. You can even do English-only college at American colleges in Japan and pretty much the whole of Asia.
>>
>>2640463
If you’re a remote worker and an American, you can stay in Quebec for 3 months without a visa. Seems pretty lax to me considering the alternatives are like 60 days for the most part.
>>
>>2641162
What if I have a remote job for a company based in the same time zone in the U.S.? So basically, all I would have to worry about is finding a place to rent short-term and generally socializing and doing errands in English outside of work. How hard would that be?

I’m actually willing to learn French, but I wanted to go to Quebec this year and my French will just not be what it needs to be in time.
>>
>>2643009
99% of cunts here under 60 in MTL speak English, or at least in the parts that you'll frequent. Unless you go to the Eastern end of the Island, and even then, under 50 generally know enough English. MTL isn't some thirdie language zone, small towns and Quebec (city) will be way more aggro about not speaking English or truly just not knowing English. Just say shit like Salut, ca va? then buy your stuff at the shop. Socializing is extremely easy, unless you're a robot.
>>
>>2640296
>quebecers are being replaced by haitians and nafris
As long as those immigrants are catholic, they will be able to assimilate.
>>
>>2640296
>and study what?
I want to be a filmmaker. And while I don't think studying film will necessarily help my career, I do feel like networking opportunities are golden. Plus I had gone to Concordia before getting BTFO by the lockdowns, but I had wanted to take their exchange program down to L.A. I could go back, but I don't know that it's entirely worth it to be a broke ass, bum ass student anymore and rack up even more student debt in something that doesn't actually get you jobs.
>>2641162
>if you work for a random smaller company or have a degree/remote job
I don't have a degree but I'd love to do a remote job if literally any would take me. My only work experience is in retail. I worked the same shitty wagecuck job for like 10 years. I want to kill myself.
>>
>>2639844
>>2639844
yes get skills
>>
>>2639844

No they are bigger Frenchfags than the French. You must be able to speak French.
>>
>>2639848
based
>>
>>2639844
I'm a francophone, and it really depends. I live in the very francophone suburbs, you'll need french if you ever go there, same with the east end (Even then, I know an anglo dude who lives in Rosemont and doesn't even speak french somehow). However, there's the west island and basically all of downtown. Tons of anglos there are living in a bubble. The area around McGill uni is literally called "Ghetto McGill" because it's a bubble of all the McGill students who don't have to learn a lick of the local language.

I don't know why people are so mad about learning the language. They say Canada is bilingual, but it's BS. You don't need to learn french in BC. Quebec is basically its own country already, and you should treat it as such. You would learn some basics of the language of any place you live, no?
>>
Cont.

I warn you though, it's going to be tough to make true friends here. It's a milder version of what you see in Scandinavia or Japan. People won't invite you to their family gathering or really be private with you, at least at first. People are nice on the outside, but they can talk mean to your back. These are some aspects of our culture I don't really like. We're cowardly and we have a village mentality. I certainly want to spend more time abroad when I graduate even though this is probably the part of Canada who actually has a future. The rest's economy is too dependent on natural resources, depressed small towns or bubble economies like Vancouver. Also, if the USA goes to shit,we'll be like Jordan dealing with the Middle East imploding. We'll be stable, but dependent on aid, swamped with refugees and with a ruined economy.
>>
>>2639844
Yes my wife is anglo and she has an english job. All her friends work in english too. Depends on your industry really.
>>
>>2649509
Currently industry-less. What do
>>
>>2647928
I have a basic grasp of French, but I'm not fluent. Certainly not enough I would think to have any kind of entry level job as like, a cashier or any bullshit like that. Which is all I need atm. Something to grind at while I get to live in and enjoy the city.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.