[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: th-2051640496.jpg (27 KB, 474x296)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
Will have a week here.
Read it is quite dirty and gritty and streets are cramped.
I'm fine with that in order to see thr history.

What is it like in April time.
And is it worth leaving the city to stay at other places, islands or beaches?

Is there a good itinerary which lists the good places to see. Hard to gauge from pics which ruins are best.

Also which museums are best. Interested in history without being a faggot about it.

Greek food is hit or miss for me so going expecting that already.
>>
File: temple.jpg (491 KB, 1583x1187)
491 KB
491 KB JPG
You can do the acropolis in 90 minutes. You'll see all of Monastiraki square in a single afternoon. Then you can take a ferry to Aegna and do the beach see the Temple of Aphaia. That's 2 days worth of stuff. Splurge one evening and get a reservation at the Metropolis rooftop garden for dinner. The view is insane. The best meal we ate was at a mom and pop place called Maiandros . The fucking lamb was perfection. If you want to see some crazy shit, go to this address: Kolwnou 23. Walk in one of the houses with the red lights. You will see some things you can't unsee.
>>
File: 20231102_143319.jpg (3.17 MB, 3200x2400)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB JPG
>>2643297
there's this giga normie youtube channel called GreeceExplained, his vids were very accurate and had good practical info

the ancient agora (pic related) is the other most significant archaeological site. the several others are kinda less significant, you can just walk by most of them and pretty much see them all from the outside anyway (or buy the pass for all of them since it's barely more expensive than just going to the acropolis i think). rick steves has a free audio guide for the ancient agora on his mobile app

national archaeological museum is the best one

get out to delphi on a day trip if you can. i booked one of these boomer guided tours. it's a few hours driver iirc, i wish i had some more time there to look around myself, but anyway the tour guide turned out to be really fucking good, the best one i have ever seen and really filled in many gaps in my knowledge on ancient greece
>>
Thank you anons
Any advice about where to stay. All reports say it is shit neighborhoods.
Specific streets or places highly helpful if you can.
Middle budget price
>>
>>2643418
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2SMLmsZ7GA

I stayed in Omiros Hotel Athens (street "Apollonos"). Was nice and central, a bit noisy outside in the evening but it's restaurants around it so quietens early. What counts as midrange? I paid € 282.50 for 5 nights (56.50/night) in November which I thought was a good price for Europe. Probably similar in April, just outside of the peak tourist months
>>
>>2643297
Overhyped. If you want to see ancient architecture, go to Ephesos or Jerash
>>
how do you covertly metal detect for ancient gold and silver?
>>
>>2643297
there was just a crazy vid going around of an athens mob hit...seems like a pretty gritty city.
>>
I can tell you one thing about Athens. The city if full of fat tiddy women. I have never seen so many fat diddies as I have seen in Athens.
And it's not just the Greek women. Women of all nationalities with hunging ditties flock to Athens and walk around with their fat tits on show.
It's miraculous.
>>
>>2644670
It true. I love going to McDonalds in Syntagma and sit at the window to look at all those big udders moving around.
>>
>>2643418
Define "middle budget".
Omonoia and Metaxourgeio are your main dumps in the city centre. Don't stay there, it's literally on the level of African junkies shooting heroin on the street. Generally everything west of Acharnon/Patision street is a shithole.
Kypseli is also an immigrant dump but it's considerably safer, especially around Fokionos Negri, not a bad call if you're looking for a dirt cheap place not that far away.
If you have the money, feel free to stay in Monastiraki, Plaka, Koukaki or whatever touristy place around the Acropolis, it's gonna be 100% safe and comfy.
>>
File: street-map-of-athens.jpg (397 KB, 971x1024)
397 KB
397 KB JPG
>>2643418
The part inside the red line is mostly fine.
>>
Athens is a great small walkable city to explore.
The history is condensed in one place and you can see it all quickly or slowly depending on your interest.
I will write a better reply soon for you anon.

P.s Yes Greek women have huge tits
>>
>>2643297
I studied in Athens for a semester. You’re absolutely right that it’s dirty and gritty, but not terribly cramped. April is great, not too crowded and not too hot. Absolutely leave the city, listen to >>2643317 and >>2643382 suggestions. I regret not visiting the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, on the southern tip of Attica. I didn’t go to the beach while I stayed there but I’ve heard the best beaches are south of Athens around Glyfada and on the other side of Attica, Porto Rafti comes to mind.
National Archaeological Museum is incredible. I enjoyed the Cycladic Art museum and the Byzantine museum.
As for neighborhoods, anything east of the Acropolis is fine, north and south of it too. Never felt unsafe anywhere, but some places are definitely shady, you could also get pick-pocketed just about anywhere.
If you are interested in establishing relations, Metaxourgeio and Filis are your bottom tier, Neos Kosmos and Kassandras St. are better. Kekkos in Pangrati has good cheap coffee + pastries, run by a very friendly family.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.