[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: londonnewyork.jpg (507 KB, 875x656)
507 KB
507 KB JPG
Which city is better to live in or near?

I’m sure many anons can attest to the fact that London feels like a collection of towns rather than a city. London has about double the land area of New York despite having a similar population. Londoners don’t even consider anything outside of Zone 1 or 2 properly London.

The first claimed benefit of London is history but this I believe is a misconception. Much of London is recently built urban sprawl. Difference is London (whose modern history really starts in late 1600) retained its historical centre while New York tore it down. The historical feel is minute compared to somewhere in Italy or southern France.

The second claimed benefit is ease of travel to the continent which is of course advantageous but how many impromptu European trips are you really going to make? I feel New York’s relative close proximity to Boston and upper New England or even to Pennsylvania is often ignored. There isn’t much to explore beyond the London’s city centre.

Not to stray into politics but the only reason why London has retained its prominence is because the UK government chooses to ignore all other areas in the country. The decline of the UK on the global stage and therefore London itself should be considered; how much longer will London retain the prestige associated with it?
>>
Neither they are both vile globalist shitholes.
In London you may get stabbed whereas in New York City you could get shot by a black walking down the street.
>>
London is nicer overall but New York is more fun, has more stuff to do…or at least, it did.

They both suck ass now.
>>
>>2644027
>I feel New York’s relative close proximity to Boston and upper New England or even to Pennsylvania is often ignored. There isn’t much to explore beyond the London’s city centre.
if you're willing to explore upper new england from new york, you basically could explore all of uk..maybe scottish highlands are a bit longer to get to (assuming not flying)
>>
Personally I'd rather live near NYC. You can get to Philly in two hours, Boston in 4, Montreal in 6 hours, just by driving.
>>
>>2644067
There isn’t much to see in the UK outside of London. Most of the other major cities apart from Edinburgh (and even then limited to the city centre) were entirely built from the ground up in the 1800s, it’s only through beautification campaigns that they became presentable. What is considered far in the USA is different compared to the UK; it isn’t ridiculous to drive to Vermont or even New Brunswick on a trip but it would be significant trek in the UK. The infrastructure isn’t there for it.
>>
>>2644095
It takes longer to drive a similar distance in the UK compared to the USA because long distance driving is not commonplace. Usually such a trip would be done on the train. It would take less time to travel from Yonkers to Vermont compared to London to the Lake District. Now, I don’t know why you couldn’t glean that from “what is considered far in the USA is different compared to the UK” i. e. there are cultural differences and different conceptions of what is far but I’ll take your irritability for you being overly tired or some shit.
>>
>>2644027
London. NYC is a dump
>>
>>2644027
OP said live in OR near.
The city might be Sodom but Upstate New York is kino to live in.
>>
>>2644027
NYC by far, London is beyond overcrowded and dreary as fuck. Its also very spread out. There's is plenty to do outside of the city (upstate, Hudson valley, Long Island, Delaware river gap). Also from a work POV London is like Tokyo where basically is the only place in the country where you can find upper middle class jobs/work.
>>
>>2644027
you can leave manhattan and be at a beautiful long island beach in an hour, that's pretty epic
>>
>>2644094
>There isn’t much to see in the UK outside of London.
Painfully, horrifically, disgustingly wrong.
>>
>>2644195
>doesn’t cite any examples
>>
Could you provide context as to why you are asking about these two cities specifically? Are you looking to live in one?
Because I would suggest you consider something else all together, but it depends as to why you are looking, admittedly some careers are best located in those two cities.
>>
>>2644204
I don't have to, it's such a weapons-grade stupid statement. All but two of England's cathedrals are outside London. All but one of her hundreds of castles. Every single one of her sights of natural beauty, from the Cotswolds to the Lake District to the peak district. Bath, which is mostly 18th century. York, which is a magnificent blend of medieval, Georgian and Victorian. The university cities of Oxford and Cambridge. All the smaller places like Lichfield and Ely that you can do in a day, but will have a very good day. And that's just England! What about Snowdonia in Wales, or the Highlands and Islands of Scotland? I could sit here all day and list things, but the fact is that 99% of people in the UK would let out a belly laugh if you tried to tell that everything worth seeing was in London or Edinburgh.
>>
>>2644214
Hmm, no :)
>>
>>2644035
I think we are allowed to say nigger
>>
>>2644070
But why go to those b tier cities if you already live in NYC? Living “near” a city is retarded. If you are a poorfag and cannot afford NYC housing you might as well live out in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>2644094
Uk has decent rail infrastructure that you can take to get anywhere. The US is so broken when it comes to transport.
>>
>>2644311
Because you're not there. Hope this helps!
>>
>>2644311
Boston and Philly suburbs are infinitely better than anything in New York or the New York area, especially now when there is basically no benefit at all to living in a city. It used to be that New York offered access to a convenient and vibrant social scene, but now, it’s just shitty trendy bars and barcades or nightclubs for black men. It used to be that New York offered the most cultural activists, plays, art galleries, book readings, the like, but now these places are prowled by blacks and filled with ethnics and homeless junkies sit outside the front doors. The same is true for Central Park. It used to be that New York was the best place to have a professional, social, and dating network, but people have gone totally nuts and now they’re more insufferable than they are enjoyable, if they’re open to having any sort of relationship at all. Cities in this country have become nightmarish, and all of these things that people used to go to the city for are either gone entirely or can more easily and cheaply be had elsewhere. So there’s no real reason to be in the city and it there’s some reason you want to be there frequently anyway, simply living in the suburbs or a train ride away is more than enough to be close to both.
>>
>>2644311
Poorfags don’t live in Westchester or Fairfield County
>>
>>2644320
i had a fuckin great time in nyc last summer, boating,swimming,chilling,tripping, long island beaches are incredible. then taking the comfy long island train into manhattan and exploring.
>>
>>2644204
I'll bite

- Literally all of Wales
- Manchester and Liverpool
- The Cotswolds
- Dover
- The lake district
- Literally all of Scotland

What the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>2644562
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzQ5fnCYLqE

that wasn't the question though
>>
>>2644562
What’s so great about Manchester or Liverpool? Why would someone go out of their way to visit those places?
>>
>>2644094
its fine to prefer new england, but you are disingenuous
>>
>>2644608
They’re got more going on than many European capitals, although once you’ve seen one bong tier 2 city you’ve seen them all

>>2644102
I’ve driven London -> outer Hebrides before. Stopped overnight at the border with Scotland on day 1 and then spent all fuckin next day driving to and catching the ferry over there. But the western isles are so gorgeous and once you’re past Leeds it’s a nice drive
>>
>>2644621
>once you’re past Leeds it’s a nice drive
It really is, even more so once you are past Glasgow.
>>
>>2644621
>They’re got more going on than many European capitals

>Liverpool and Manchester

HAHAHAHA this is a joke right???? I unrionically can’t believe there are people like you that think this way.

Manchester and Liverpool both have some cool things going for them as far as British cities go, but the idea that they live up to ANY European capital, or even most second cities in continental Europe is laughable.

>>2644027
Give me an expensive London townhouse and pay me to live in it, and I still wouldn’t live in London. Shit people, shit weather, shit lifestyle. Shithole.

>>2644131
And London isn’t? hahahahah
>>
London is a lot more "brown" than people realize. I'd take New York anyday.
>>
>>2644657
Average mutt on here has a genocidal hatred for white europeans. So why is NYC being more "white" a good thing. Shouldn't you love the diversity?
>>
>>2644562
Manchester and Liverpool? Are you fucking serious? Enjoy getting stabbed and propositioned in Glasgow and Aberdeen or in fact Edinburgh if you leave the touristy middle because ALL of Scotland is beautiful. You’ve clearly never actually been to any of these plays.
>>
>>2644519
Yeah you can have a great time most places ON VACATION. When you live there, it’s different.
>>
London is a far nicer city but the lower pay and higher taxes kill it for me.
>>
>united kingdom
>2024
rofling @ u
>>
File: 1000013120.jpg (400 KB, 783x595)
400 KB
400 KB JPG
>>2644027
living in NYC is okay, living NEAR it is excellent; you are able to live in a beautiful rural area, and be right next to the action (30 minute drive) without being forced to be in the middle of it all the time

NYC subway, when compared to London's, has the advantage of Manhattan's grid for ease of navigation
>>
>>2644658
why are you lying about european americans hating folks across the atlantic?
>>
>>2645332
From life experience, it is the same in Canada. I have only received racism from white people here it is hilarious. The chinks and jeets hear my British accent and are positive to me. The whites discriminate against me. Most Americans, especially right wingers, celebrate Europe's destruction and want to see it destroyed. No wonder, the USA has destroyed Europe's economy, blew up its pipelines, and been a major provocateur in the Ukraine Russia war.
>>
>>2645156
i only got to take the lirr, if i end up taking the other train that goes up north, what are the best spots?
>>
File: 1000013142.jpg (67 KB, 700x404)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>2645749
honestly I haven't gone to upstate NY that much (via the MetroNorth). if you get up to Woodbury/Cold Spring, you get a lot more of the Adirondacks, which is pretty nice.
>>
File: ADK.jpg (447 KB, 1600x1067)
447 KB
447 KB JPG
>>2645765
MetroNorth only goes as far as Poughkeepsie. The ADKs don't start until Lake George north of Albany/Saratoga. You're thinking of the Catskills. The ADKs are superior if you are looking for comfy in da woods life.

You can take the Amtrak up to Albany and beyond, but the MetroNorth is cheaper and faster into NYC if that's what you're looking for.
Cold Spring and Beacon are nice little towns. Newburgh and Poughkeepsie are shitholes. But regardless, any town on the that route is better than the alternatives of living in Jersey or CT.
>>
File: 1000013149.jpg (409 KB, 2000x1328)
409 KB
409 KB JPG
>>2645778
yes you're correct, the Catskills. that area is pretty cool, for sure.

there are a couple of nice places out in NJ and CT, for Jersey you have to get out past Union (which is a shithole).

the best places in NJ are west of Short Hills (even for the far-out places, there is accessibility to Penn Station via the NJ transit). if you get the opportunity to visit the Delaware Water Gap, do it, it's incredible.
>>
>>2644027
New York because the entirety of Europe is a hellhole with no nature
>>
>>2644027
New York and it's not even close. Don't let the 4chud incels fool you, they've never even been to the city.
>>
>>2644067
Definitely. Upstate NY and the mountains in Vermont and NH blow away anything even close to London. Not to mention the freedom of transport in the US, just easier to hit the road and go into nature. Plus the beaches and Long Island.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.