[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: eee.png (264 KB, 800x799)
264 KB
264 KB PNG
How do you decide whether or not to travel with someone?

One of my friends is trying to break into the larger music scene, he's done some live shows in smaller clubs in some big cities. He wants to go perform in Europe this summer. He's asked me to come with him.

The problem is, the only thing this guy talks about is his music and shows. He's obsessed with it. While I'm happy for him, he doesn't actually take much interest in my life. I probably see him once every few weeks.

I've gone on roadtrips with him where we haven't really said a single word, because we don't really talk. I dread hanging out with him without our larger friend group because either we don't talk at all while hanging out or we only talk about him & his music.

I don't know why he wants me to go with him, I think it's to split the costs since no one else wants to go. The thing is, I feel like I'm pretty much just a background character to him. This whole trip to him is to advance him musically I don't really know if I'll be able to fuck off and do things by myself.

I'm trying to think positively about this, especially since I told him I'd go with him, but we haven't booked anything. I've never been to Europe. Is it worth going under these conditions? It would be a 2.5 week trip.
>>
>>2646037
>How do you decide whether or not to travel with someone?
It’s a question of how much I want to spend time with this person and how much I want to go where they’re going. If I really want to go where they want to go, I can enjoy traveling even with someone I don’t otherwise have a ton in common with—under ordinary circumstances, two not-so-close friends traveling together can and should be able to split up and do their own things sometimes, so you needn’t be handcuffed to one another 24/7. I spent a few weeks backpacking in Laos and Vietnam with a guy who got on my nerves in some ways, because we’d just finished a course together and were going in the same direction. It was just fine. He still gets on my nerves, but I’m glad to have him as a casual/Facebook friend at a distance, years later.

But it sounds as though you like this guy less than I liked the guy I wound up traveling with. I would only consider going with him if his tour itinerary was really exciting to me.

You say you haven’t booked anything, but presumably he’s got shows booked, or will soon? If he’s scheduled to play places you really want to visit, go for it. Build solo time/excursions/day trips into your itinerary, and probably make it clear that you won’t be attending every gig on the tour (unless you’re helping him load in/out or sell merch or something, in which case he ought to be paying more of the expenses than you are, if not outright paying you).

Otherwise, it really sounds like you don’t want to go, and although I think you could be pleasantly surprised by the experience , you still have time and can come up with plenty of good reasons to back out.
>>
>>2646037
being a hanger on a small time music shows is a potential ice breaker with sluts around europe

is he doing music gigs solo.. how is he needing you to go with him assuming you tihnk he doesn't think much of you - nervous to travel himself?
>>
>>2646062
Yeah he hates doing things by himself, he will refuse to go out to eat or go to the movies/festival if he has to go alone

I'm sure he'll still go

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.