[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: freighter.jpg (181 KB, 736x1106)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
Which of the flips or jeets do I have to bribe to hitch a ride on picrel? Travel time doesn't matter, comfort doesn't matter, amenities don't matter, I just want to get across an ocean without boarding an airplane.
>>
>>2648097
>paying to get human trafficed
>>
Takes a lot to get a on No Fly List
>>
>>2648097
It is not a thing, in the way you are fantasizing about, never was, and it was hardly ever a thing in that other way people occasionally fantasize about here and elsewhere (showing up on the docks and offering to work for your passage).

The latter approach must have been a thing 300 years ago, at least occasionally, but modern merchant marines have licenses and union memberships, and their ships have customs controls, insurance policies, globally distributed/integrated monitoring of routes, crews, and cargo, and immigration screenings when they get to port, among many other modern innovations.

Stowing away is still barely a thing, of course—the International Marine Organization estimates that about a thousand people sneak onboard ships every year. But the reason they know this is because almost all of them get caught, arrested, and deported back to wherever the hell they came from (mostly Africa, statistically). They and other international regulatory types have spent a lot of time and money trying to work out how to deal with the problem, including implementing such guidelines as “you’re not allowed to just throw them overboard in the middle of the ocean.” Less reputable vessels have supposedly done that kind of thing, but who knows how true that is or how often they’ve really done it. Anyway, ports in most places are reasonably heavily secured in the modern era, mostly because there are billions of dollars worth of cargo at stake.

All that said, there are dozens of transoceanic freighters that sell a few berths/guest cabins to paying passengers. Have been for decades—my parents bought passage on a freighter from Cape Town (or maybe Durban?) to Stockholm in the 1970s, because my mother discovered a paralyzing fear of flying on her way down to South Africa. Unlike when my boomer parents did it, it’s no longer cheap—it will cost you a few grand to cross an ocean. But perhaps you will enjoy it.
>>
>>2648213

>All that said, there are dozens of transoceanic freighters that sell a few berths/guest cabins to paying passengers. Have been for decades—my parents bought passage on a freighter from Cape Town (or maybe Durban?) to Stockholm in the 1970s, because my mother discovered a paralyzing fear of flying on her way down to South Africa. Unlike when my boomer parents did it, it’s no longer cheap—it will cost you a few grand to cross an ocean. But perhaps you will enjoy it.

That's basically what I want to do. Not a terrorist and not an immigrant, I just don't like airplanes.

As far as I can tell, most lines officially quit doing that after COVID. So I'm looking to see if any of them still unofficially do it.
>>
>>2648097
I tried to get something like this done in the EU. The problem was that most harbors do not even allow you into the area. One time I got into a harbor in Spain and asked people in the local bar if it is possible to get a job there (in English mind you). They told me you need a sea faring certificate/diploma thing that actually costs money. But then it is on an employment basis, not just for traversing.
That certificate costs quite a bit of money, but if you are unemployed and a resident in a country for a certain time you may get it paid for by the government. I tried that, too but got denied because I didn't even speak Spanish. Worth a try lol.
The other way is to simply pay the companies who own those freighters. It is basically a hotel room for the entire time and you don't do much but pay quite a lot. Maybe you can do it once and network to get a position or something, but haven't tried that.
>>
>>2648459
No idea if post-covid passenger carriage has resumed -- but be aware it is more expensive than flying, boring as fuck and very slow.
>>
>>2648459
>As far as I can tell, most lines officially quit doing that after COVID. So I'm looking to see if any of them still unofficially do it.
If they do it, they absolutely don’t do it unofficially—it’s more trouble (and cost) for shipping companies and insurers than any one crew member or whole crew’s job is worth. Just start Googling “freighter cruising” and getting in touch with companies, and I’m sure you’ll land on someone who can take you somewhere above-board eventually.
>>
This is the meme that never dies. I don't know what old movie inspires this fantasy but it is NOT a thing. There are probably trans-Atlantic cruises you can take but that probably doesn't satisfy your grungy fantasy, so sorry.

>t merchant mariner
>>
>>2648459
You are way safer in an airplane than a cargo ship.
>>
It will cost a lot more than flying.
>>
>>2648657
>There are probably trans-Atlantic cruises you can take but that probably doesn't satisfy your grungy fantasy, so sorry.
It used to be relatively straightforward to get Trans-Pacific passage, too—boats out of ports on the West Coast to various ports in China, Korea, and Japan, among others. An acquaintance of mine did a RTW trip without flying some years back, and she went from Oakland, CA to… I think it was Shanghai, maybe via Pusan? But maybe COVID did kill these routes for paying passengers, no idea. Seemed pretty boring and it cost something like $5000, but she was glad she did it.
>>
>>2648657
Where has your work taken you? Do you get to disembark and fart around in all the places you go?
>>
>>2648459
>So I'm looking to see if any of them still unofficially do it.
You aren't worth the risk. Hate to say it but you are a huge liability to all the cargo on board.
>>
>>2648730
No, the "travel by ship" meme died a long fucking time ago it's seriously been dead since this thing called passports got adopted by countries. It's just been a myth for fucking ever because boomers heard it from their fathers and were told tall tails by others without any way to disprove it.

You're not worth the risk to the ship
You're not worth the headache for the ports
You're not worth the space you take up

There are a few companies that will put you on a boat still, IIRC some anon did it a few months back. It's stupidly expensive and time intensive just to attempt getting a seat that could be cancelled.
>>
>>2649040

I know someone who did it in the 90s between Japan and other Asian countries.
>>
File: IMG_20150625_142357_HDR2.jpg (3.33 MB, 4208x2368)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB JPG
did it back in 2015, 18 days on the Hanjin Copenhagen from Shanghai to Seattle.

no idea what the industry is like post COVID, hell Hanjin went under a couple years later and the ships were all sold off.

not sure why everyone things the practice is dead, its just definitely not like the old days were you could stand at the docks with your duffel bag and hook a ride to the next port. just like shipping itself it is a carefully managed process booked through middlemen and alphabet-suit management companies. the easiest way to do it is through a specialty expedition travel agent that advertises container ship and mail ship travel. tell them where you are starting, where you are going and a time window and they find a ship for you.

i told them i was willing to leave from any port in Eastern China and could get off in Vancouver, Seattle or Tacoma and they took care of the rest. only unique requirement was a travel insurance policy with helicopter medevac coverage (like $60) and yellow fever vaccination shot which i got while i was in China for like $15.

ama i guess.
>>
>>2649079

well how much did it cost?
>>
>>2648097
>>2649040
>>2648657
>>2649079
>Nooo, it's stopped existing since a long time ago
>I did it 2015 btw
Just bing search it. Idk why some anons need to fantasize about some topic by hearsay and memories form 30 years ago told by their dad.
turns out you can just find multiple site who offer that. Belgium to South Africa is €3962. You have to plan ahead of time, maybe one year. OP asked for travel by Container ship, not about if you just can go on one for free if you peel potatoes as payment.
>>
fuck off we're full
>>
>>2649157
>Belgium to South Africa is €3962.
Why in the fuck
>>
>>2648097

Guessing you partook in the storming of the capitol?
>>
>>2649424
Hotel room for about three weeks, probably including meals
>>
>>2649424
You're a one off
You take up the crew resources
You take time to do paper work at each port

Enjoy having a higher risk at sinking in the sea because you don't like planes
>>
Didn't this used to be in the sticky? Did the sticky change?

t. used to come here a lot back in the day and it was a meme
>>
ngl I thought this was a thing at least up until 1900 or so
>>
File: IMG_20150621_191442.jpg (1.05 MB, 4208x2368)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>2649145
cost about $2000 at the time, which was twice the price of an airline ticket home but i always looked at it as $2000 for 18 days in a hotel with an ocean view with all meals included.
>>
>>2648188
The Few, the Strong, the Brave
>>
>>2649952
What was it like?
Who made the biggest impression on you?
What were the things that you expected least?
What stood out to you?
What were the scents and tastes? (Senses we can't get a duplicated version of via the internet.)
>>
File: IMG_20150629_153528.jpg (1.45 MB, 4208x2368)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
>>2649960
What was it like?
peaceful, but isolated. internet access was restricted to ship operations (probobly better now with Starlink) so we were cut off from the world except for when we were at ports. it was kind of nice just going through old ebooks and tv show episodes i had downloaded but never watched. also read a couple of books from the ship's library and donated my own.

Who made the biggest impression on you?
the ships crew was mostly young Filipino sailors and crusty old Polish and Ukrainian officers, some ex-Soviet. my ship was usual in that we had a full load of 4 passengers; old guy from Florida writing his memoir, a retired couple from DC on an around the world tour and myself. the old guy was a bit eccentric and probobly gay and the DC folks were nice but came off as oblivious big government bureaucrats living off their pensions and have very little idea how people live outside the Beltway.

What were the things that you expected least?
as far out as we were there was always other ships traveling on the same route, you could usually see them on the horizon or on the radar screens in the bridge so we never felt like we were alone in the middle of the ocean. bridge was open all the time and the younger guys on night watch appreciated having some company, just make sure you keep out of the way when the officers are making port.

What stood out to you?
the crew was friendly to us but not overly optimistic about the industry as a whole. they were concerned about being replaced by ships with Chinese officers and African crews that worked for even less than Filipinos.

What were the scents and tastes? (Senses we can't get a duplicated version of via the internet.)
it was much needed fresh air and a "hardy sailors fair" food-wise. i just spent a year breathing poison in Central China and 2 weeks of open ocean really helps clear out your lungs. food was good but tends to drag towards the end when the run low on certain perishables.
>>
>>2649981
Very interesting. I didn't know the routes were so busy.
>>
>>2649952
>all meals included

I'm guessing these weren't gourmet meals though
>>
>>2649079

What are you supposed to do if the Houthis attack you?
>>
File: IMAG0287.jpg (650 KB, 2688x1520)
650 KB
650 KB JPG
>>2650050
it was a "hardy sailors fair", lots of potatoes, pasta, pork chops, eggs, brocolli, etc. ffruits like oranges and kiwis last forever in the ships fridge while Bananas and apples are the first to run out.

we had a set table in the officer's mess hall and we were expected to report in for all meals on time or they would call our cabin or search the ship to find us, only way they know if we fell overboard because they dont otherwise care what we are up to.

>>2650052
ship had signs for a safe room but we never used it, just follow the crew instructions if it happened. we were in the Bering Sea so Houthis and Somalis wernt that big of a deal at the time.

also this is what happens when the crane drops a shipping container, we were told it was full of socks so nothing was really damaged.
>>
>>2648737
All around the Gulf, Caribbean, Eastern Seaboard, West Coast, Panama, etc. Generally we DON'T get off in these places but sometimes we get lucky. Depends on how long our barge takes to load and especially what kind of security policies the port has. I don't recommend the career to /trv/ellers because it's just not an efficient way to travel.
>>2649157
Yeah anon, with respect, I know all that. Here's the thing: paying a silly amount of money defeats the purpose. People (like OP, who wants to "bribe" his way aboard) imagine you can "hitch a ride on a ship" in a manner similar to train surfing / riding the rails. Sleeping in an old life boat or something. THAT'S what doesn't exist.
>>
>>2649952

I think that's what a lot of people are missing. Yeah, it's more "expensive" than flying, but probably not much worse than trying to rent in a lot of major cities. And it's also more dangerous than flying, but probably considerably less dangerous than road-tripping. Hotel with an ocean view is a good way to look at it.

>>2649429

Rather doubt that anyone staying on the run this long would think it's a good idea to ask for advice on 4chan.
>>
>>2650523

>Rather doubt that anyone staying on the run this long would think it's a good idea to ask for advice on 4chan.

A bunch of people were arrested during the capitol storming and ended up on no fly lists. I don't think OP is on the run, just a massive /pol/tard.
>>
>>2650609
>guy asks a mundane question about nautical travel
>UHH u must be uh muh INSURRECTIONIST
Not sure I'd be calling others retarded, anon.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.