[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: english.png (188 KB, 451x451)
188 KB
188 KB PNG
>Italy
Not a sould speaks English
>Spain
Que?
>Portugal
same

Don't wanna visit the UK for the 5th time, I wanna see something new. Which countries are nice to visit (modern + not extremely cold) where people speak at least a bit English? I'm German btw
>>
Obviously the Netherlands and Nordic countries. In my experience, statistics are overstated and you won't be able to have a philosophical discussion with some old man, but you will be able to use English there
>>
Are you sure you went to Portugal? In my experience they speak decent English there, much more than in Spain.
>>
>>2648759
Even in a 300k city in Italy (Padua) nobody spoke a word English

I'll look into NL and Scandinavia
>>
>>2648744
haha you said cunts you're so funny and cool
but millions of british people visit spain and portugal every year. the locals want their money so they speak english to them. you just went to the wrong places. try the algarve, faro and ablufeira sort of area, loads of english speakers there. also lots of germans, you should feel right at home with your equally humorous countrymen
>>
Try Iceland anon, you can get by on only English there, I believe their school system teaches English so all younger people are almost completely fluent, older people not as much but still can get by.
>>
>>2648772
In Portugal they speak pretty good English in my experience.

But yeah, I've lived in Sweden and NL and travelled the region extensively, and you can get by speaking only English with no problem there.
>>
>>2648832
brits visit magaluf, who the fuck wants to visit that shithole?

>>2648834
>not extremely cold

>>2648847
will especially look into sweden, NL (venlo) is ike an hour away, doesn't feel like vacation lol
>>
>>2648744
We do speak English lol
>>
>>2648857
Visit during the summer then.
>>
>>2648744
Austria. It's like Germany but a decade more advanced. You'll like it
>>
>>2648894

When I went to Austria, many people understood English, but I could physically see their disposition towards me change once I opened my mouth and english started spewing out. You could feel their disappointment and a bit of disgust as, having formerly assumed I was one of them, now they are forced to use English to deal with this fucking auslander. I really felt their hatred towards foreigners, no more so than in Vienna though.
>>
Finland if you want english that can be conversational and not make you want to kill yourself in boredom.

Whatever you do avoid Norway like the plague unless you want to blow your brains out in round about conversations.
>>
>>2648965
I've been to Norway a few times and I love Norwegians, they're great. Don't judge the whole country based off Oslo, western Norwegians are especially friendly and funny I've met some great people from Bergen
>>
>>2648744
You didn't go to mallorca? The only languages are German and English.
>>
>>2648978
Actually I was talking about Bergen lmao
>>
I live in a country where I don’t speak the native language outside of a few phrases. Speaking with people under 35 is always your best bet. The oldies over here are all pathological trash anyway, not worth your time.
>>
>>2648744
italians really shocked me on how little they speak it
spain and france are known monolingual retards
but Portugal has very high engligh fluency, you clearly dont know what youre on about there
>>
France's probably the worst place to go if you're looking for ppl speaking english, unless you're planning to go to the massive tourist places, but then the problem is that you have to live in Paris, best chance is probably going to like Strasbourg and speak german there or something.
>>
>>2648744
>>2648772
I think they didn't want to talk with you. Most of Europe speaks English just fine.
>>
In Czech republic I got by fine with just english. It's a fairly modern and ordered country, much more so than southern europe, though apparently very touristy during the warm months (I went in winter)
>>
>>2649265
hmm, I avoid Gypsies here in Germany at all costs so anything in eastern europe I automatically avoid
but I've heard some decent stuff about Prague
>>
>>2649465
What a retard. You think Latvia is full of gypsies?
>>
>>2648744
The Netherlands is terrific for being spoken to in English; the obvious downside being that you are going to The Netherlands. I can only think of about five plausible reasons why you'd want to come here and even for those five reasons you have better alternatives. 1) You're on a soccer groundhopping tour. If you visit my Norf FC I'll buy you the tickets for free. 2) You really like art museums but already went to Paris (dont stay in the West, visiting Kroller-Muller is OBLIGATORY). 3) You are an unironic weedbro and/or sexual degenerate but can't afford to fly to Thailand. 4) You are an American infrastructure student who fell for the Not Just Bikes meme. 5) You love the beauty of God's creation and just want to visit de Keukenhof, Pieterburen and Giethoorn, but are too poor to go to a tropical place.
If you are a sightseeing tourist, just go to Rome or Paris and use the classic combination of arm gestures and Google Translate. If you like adventure/hikes/biking, just go to Scandinavia. The Netherlands is a soulless facsimile of a country unless you know exactly where to go.
>>
>>2649489
yes
>>
>>2649496
>the classic combination of arm gestures and Google Translate
I'm unironically terrified of this shit
In Venice and Padua nobody knew what the fuck we were saying. "Bus ticket to Padua" and this 50 year old retard didn't understand one word
I sometimes use google translate when refugees ask me questions here in Germany and it never works out the right way
>>
>>2648832
>algarve, faro and albufeira

coincidentally the shittiest, most soulless parts of the country
>>
>>2648744
Go to Poland. Just next door, and most people you'll encounter in the cities speak English. The summers are very nice, too.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.