[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

>CTRL+ F: africa
>zero results

just a few years ago it seemed like africa was becoming cool but that seems to have dissipated. what is the reason for this? the resurgence of jihadism? the chronic eternal poverty? the threat of war doesn't seem to deter you guys from wanting to visit taiwan or SEA. so what happened to africa? i'm planning a world tour and wondering if I should just skip africa altogether.
>>
Africa is where you go if you aren't a consumer. Sadly, most millenials and zoomers are mindless consumers so they'll go to Europe, USA, SE Asia, etc.
>>
>>2649052
>>
>>2649052
Africa is tons of fun, it just has really shit amenities so spoiled millennials and zoomers find it difficult to cope.

Kenya/Uganda/Tanzania are excellent for an English speaker.

There are almost no young white men hanging out around there these days so you are in extreme jbw mode.
>>
>>2649052
I went to zanzibar for a month earlier this year, fuckin shit hole, just bad infrastructure, terrible food, stupid people, beach was nice but that's it. Got into a weird dispute with the landlord after he drugged me and had to flee the island with no belongings, had to buy flip flops on the side of the road on the way to the airport.
never going back
>>
>>2649052
African GDP plateau'd since 2013
>>
>>2649170
>spam cooming threads
>mod does his job
>OMG THE JANNY IS UNHINGED!
please fuck off with your disingenuous victim complex
>>
You're trying to classify an entire continent with various locales, environments and economical situations with broad strokes.

Look at individual countries and what they have to offer instead.
>>
>>2649052
Africa is unironically my dream destination. So many beautiful wildlife destinations.
>>
>>2649052

Africa is cool but it really is the security threats and chronic poverty that deters people. It is huge and the lack of infrastructure + the constant "checkpoints" of unemployed bandits taking bribes makes traveling there a nightmare. I will never forget my time in Africa but it was a pain.
>>
>>2649304
Security threats and mandatory bribes can vary wildly by country though and in some places can be easily avoided if you do your research and use your brain. Never had such issues in Tanzania for example. Many of the least visited countries can be like this too, especially if you leave the business district of the capital. Personally I've noticed local guides are a great scam deterrent. Security situation is shit in them right now, but when things cool, I would gladly recommend Niger and Mali, for example.
>>
JBW is insane there. Spent about a year in Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda. By the time I got to Rwanda, I'd fucked so many girls off tinder I'd lost interest and spent a month there celibate (fucked a Rwandan gas station attendant in Uganda on the border).
Absolute insane JBW. In Kenya I learned what it must be like to be a hot girl (9/10) in the west and get hit on all the time. I was aggressively hit on all the times - waitresses (begging to be fucked), airbnb hosts, friends of tinder dates... just seemed I could fuck every single girl in the country if I wanted to. It was an insae upside dimension I'll never forget. I took full advantage too
>>
Any anons been to Botswana?
Fucked a bunch of African intl students and the two from Botswana were cool as fuck, insanely good looking, never stressing and easily wife material. All the rest were completely insane in one way or another, one seriously threatened to falsely report me for rape if I break up with her which was nuts.
From what I seen online it seems more developed and chill than the rest.
>>
>>2649317
>Botswana
Never been there but the unique thing about Botswanan culture is the women expect to be beaten sometimes by their man. They feel they need it and if you don't beat them once in a while they will see you as weak and disrespect you.
Might take me a while to get used to.
>>
>>2649092
>jbw
please explain
>>
>>2649312
>I was aggressively hit on all the times
Please explain
>>
>>2649317
I had a literally 10/10 gf from there. Everything about her was perfect and I'm not even into black girls, she was just amazingly hot and good at sex. Only girl I had who could get me off from just a blowjob. Black men would noticeably seethe when they saw us walking together. Kinds regret not marrying her but I was 23 and she was like 19 at the time so no way in hell could it work. My plan is to just go back there and find her twin. I'm 90% sure I'll probably marry a black African girl. May even live there.
>>
>>2649052
With the exception of Morocco, Africa is way more expensive than most backpackers' expectations. I bikepacked west africa so travel was basically free but if I'd been paying for hotels and transport I'd have been sucked dry.
>>
>>2649557
This. For low quality lodgings you pay out the ass. Lodging makes up most of cost of trip.
>>
>>2649052
wagner
>>
File: 1709328218369.png (1.54 MB, 1754x3219)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
>>2649052
>>
yeah africans do this thing where they jack up prices of accomodation for white tourists 1000%, because they have limited visitation

by forcing all normal accommodation for foreigners into that extreme price range, they think they make up for the lack of tourism

being retarded, they don't understand that this is just one of many reasons why people don't come back, or don't come in the first place

I enjoyed kenya a lot, but I felt swindled by hotel and apartment pricing. I remember looking at this beautiful big apartment with an ocean view in its living room and asking the property manager how much per month. 800 dollar equivalent.

Hey not bad, I could afford that. I was about to pull the trigger when I noticed the numbers above the doors to the bedrooms (there were three).

>oh, you will be sharing the apartment

LOL. They wanted $800 a month for a ROOM in a shared apartment on the outskirts of mombasa. I asked her how many tourists had stayed here lately and she said none, and I told her to expect it to stay none. Totally clueless, completely greedy, infinitely entitled. Very African.

I eventually got a chick I was seeing to look for an apartment for me, and she was being quoted 1/4th the rate I was. Really soured me on the idea of staying long term in the country. Helped me realize I would never be anything more than an ATM with a swinging dick, to these people.

From what I heard from the expats living there, their kenyan wives/gfs do most of the shoping since unless you are going to the supermarket, you as a muzungu will be swindled. That's no way to live.
>>
I also noticed that the resort/hotels I did stay at were crazy over-staffed. There were probably 3x as many people working there as needed.

Just an excessive amount of employees. Africans at every turn, and of course they were hoping for tips for trivial bullshit like wheeling luggage to a taxi.

I asked an expat about this phenomena and he said that he assumed it was nepotism, that friends and relatives were piled into employment at a hotel and the books were cooked to make it seem like they were necessary.

In short, the employment situation was a mass looting of the resources of the actual resort owner, who was not on site most of the time.

Popular resorts such as in nyali beach area did not have this crazy overstaffing situation. They seemed normal. The only thing there were in excess were beach attendants/waiters, which made sense.

The place I stayed with the staffing situation was decaying and very mid inside. They were demanding $50 a night for a room in thailand that would have cost $10 or 15. It was close-ish to some things I wanted to do though, so I paid it. That's what they count on.
>>
sorry for the reddit spacing, I'm on mobile and this is the only way its legible for me

I just remembered one of the most important things for why people don't go back to africa.

The flies.

FLIES. EVERYWHERE. ALWAYS. CONSTANTLY. Flies.

Now you might be thinking you can deal with a few flies, but african flies are aggressive. They will get in your food, land on it and begin eating it while you are actively consuming it. They will land on your skin to get at your sweat. They will land on your face and get at your eyes. Flies bumping off your skin and hairs constantly, triggering your brain.

Flies. Everywhere. Always.

Most venues in Kenya were open-air, usually. The cost of AC is just too high basically. So that meant flies. Africans think nothing of it because they are raised with it, but as a muzungu you will notice.

It's a constant thing. The only places blessedly free of flies were foreigner owned and actively managed. I spent a lot of time in a german bakery/cafe and the mall areas when I was there, because they had fly barriers.

Now it might seem like I'm bitching about something small, but the fly situation is next level. You'll have never experienced anything like it, and its definitely a barrier to overcome to enjoy things.

Mosquitos too of course. They are aggressive and hungry. You will probably need to sleep under a mosquito net because they will somehow get into your room anyways. African mosquitos dont bite you once or twice then fuck off to digest. If you have one mosquito in your room it will bite the fuck out of you all night long. It's crazy.

Definitely another 'I'm not coming back here', aspect. The only place free of flies was right next to the coast on the beach, which is why I recommend nyali and diani beach areas, or zanzibar.
>>
Oh yeah and ants built a nest inside my laptop while it was still running. It hit a threshold and finally when I started typing a bunch of ants boiled up and out between the keys. I thought I was hallucinating.

Apparently the hot air blowing out of the vents makes it seem well ventilated and like a termite nest that has been abandoned (african ants love these, apparently).

Ants building nests in computers is a known problem among the expats I spoke to.

I had to smoke them out (blew cigarette smoke into the case). Took an hour but they left.
>>
File: sg.jpg (293 KB, 500x750)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
>>2649610
im looking at mombasa and accra and that's it
>>
ANYWAYS, all that sounds pretty shitty, yeah?

That's why its relatively unfucked by dudebros and stacies. The ick and eye-rolling factors are real.

If you have a fetish for africans you can have a great time. I met a 4' 10" super cute 20yo filipina (of all things), solo traveling there. She wasn't there for the men. She was there for the women, apparently. She was a lesbian and had been living with a pair of african girls who both had about a foot and 50lbs on her. They would go out to clubs while scantily dressed and basically scam drinks and food from tourists and local wealthy african men. They let guys take them around on trips also, in what I assume was an 'equivalent exchange' scenario. She said she had come there once when she was 18 with a old rich man who took her there from the philippines on a trip, but met these girls and they basically stole her away from him LOL, then she came back again later to live with them.

Let me tell you, you think you have seen it all, but when you walk into a nearly pitch black insanely loud night club at 2am and see a little asian girl sandwiched between two giant kenyan women, desperately making out with them in turns, you realize you still have more to see.

I can't say I blame her. Kenyan women really are something else. Probably the most passionate, active, and interested lovers I have ever had in my life. I experienced nearly crippling levels of muscular soreness the next day in a few cases, just because we were at it for hours.
>>
File: mombosa.png (647 KB, 1394x902)
647 KB
647 KB PNG
>>2649614
if you do stay in mombosa I recommend staying in nyali beach area. Mombosa city proper doesnt have much going for it, and it nasty and filthy and very hot, with no upside.
>>
I am hearing some reports now that mtwapa is degraded and blown out. Make it a day trip at best to check it out if thats your thing, I wouldn't stay there expecting a pattaya experience these days.

Bamburi seems to be the night life hotspot at the moment.
>>
>>2649606
>>2649607
Kek. This reminds me of when I was staying in a small resort in Diani Beach. There was a really old security guard and a retard who worked with him. When I'd go to the store and cone back late I'd always buy them some cookies or give them a dollar. I always speak to and treat guards well around the world. They would also let me in with different women at different times of the night. It was completely allowed but I just kind of liked them.
Eventually, the resort staff got visibly envious and pissy that I was giving them money and not them (I had no interaction with other staff). So one morning they doubled the price of the room which basically forced me to leave. This was during covid when they had almost zero guests.
Maybe they wanted a little money under the table idk
>>
>>2649363
doesn't matter if you old, fat, short whatever, just be white
just go to dating sites and you will have tons of matches with pretty 18-23yos, you can safely ignore fatties and old hags there
you also don't need to play any stupid relationship games with them
>>
>>2649364
>Please explain
Lots of examples idk.
>waitress aggressively flirting in restaurant. Just like most waitresses. I get back to my hotel and I get text messages begging me to cone to her or she comes to me for a couple of hours. Somehow she got my phone number from Kpesa (phone payment) when I paid the bill. Didn't even know it was possible
>Airbnb hostess showing me the place, lingering in the kitchen, laughing, smiling and looking me up and down
>met an American dude. Having a drink. 2 girls just come over (very hot) sit next to us and start flirting. At this point, since I'm getting hit on all day, I tell them to leave - thus, finally discovering what it is truly like to be a hot girl in the west
>>
>>2649610
>>2649609
>>2649607
>>2649606
great posts anon, fun read. thanks
>>
>>2649675
So they're not overtly sexual? Just being very friendly
>>
>>2649787
>aggressively flirting
>just being very friendly
they are overly sexual
way more sexual than Asians, they genuinely enjoy lot of sex
>>
>>2649790
His brain can't believe it. Literally upside down world. Every girl dreams about having mixed kids and talks about how beautiful they are. But you know this.
Do you think there is any other country on earth where whiteman fetishism is that strong? I want to check out Sierra Leone
>t. Not a coomer but enjoy dating as a side
>>
>>2649621
>>2649656
Nyali and Diani beach bros, what’s the day to day like out there? Can I chill, drink on the beach, eat decent food at restaurants on the coast , coom, maybe go to night clubs and not fear for my safety from roving gangs of whoever and getting killed if I go to clubs? Are there rampant scams and hawkers

Can I just get girls off dating apps and around town or whatever?
>>
>>2649052
I want to visit Sao Tome & Principe
>>
>>2649675
I can believe this. I know it's not Africa but I was in my own in the Bahamas (not a touristy area) for a few days and I was completely shocked at how open the black girls were about wanting to fuck me. these girls were definitely out of my league.I went to a bar and the girl there immediately started making conversation with me and told me to take my top off and asked if I had a girlfriend within 5 minutes.
several anecdotes like this.
>>
The airbnb host flirting thing happened to me too. She was 40 and stacked and very tall. Almost hit that but I remembered she had my real identity on file and that meant she had a huge amount of power to fuck with me if she got jealous or knocked up.

Kind of regret it since her teenage daughter was making eyes at me too and hinting that they were a package deal. Was a real minefield situation.
>>
Not exaggerating about the woman situation btw. You'll get sick of it once you experience it personally, after a couple weeks.

It's super annoying having bitches come up to you no matter what you are doing and trying to monopolize your attention. Especially since lots of them are just hookers pretending to be normal women (that they want to be paid comes out later).

African prostitutes are masters of "girlfriend experience". You won't know you had hired a prostitute until the morning when you're trying to get her to leave and you find out she expects money. Very distressing. Then you feel like a fool for being played.
>>
>>2649823
>African prostitutes are masters of "girlfriend experience".
True. But tinder is the filter. I literally don't think I ever swiped right on a girl in East Africa that didn't swipe right back. Literally models. And I'm a 5/10 - 6/10
>>
>>2649795
Diani anon here
>Can I chill, drink on the beach, eat decent food at restaurants on the coast
Yes. But there is no mid-range food. You either eat sloppy veg and fatty grissly meat with 3 kilos of ugali for $1.50 or you spend $8 - $12 and eat at the German restaurant or similar
>coom, maybe go to night clubs and not fear for my safety from roving gangs of whoever and getting killed
No problem in Diani just never walk anywhere at night, even if your hotel is very close. Get a motorbike taxi
>Are there rampant scams and hawkers
On the beach, yeah but if you're in Africa you already know how to deal with these types by now
>Can I just get girls off dating apps and around town or whatever?
You will literally match with every single girl you swipe right on
>>
>>2649836
>Yes. But there is no mid-range food.
this is the worst thing about that place and needs to get talked about more
infuriating
>>
>>2649836
>don’t walk anywhere at night
Why?
>>2649836
>but if you’re in Africa already
Never been, but Nyali beach seems to be the most talked about after I dyor about it
>food
Is the African slop good?
>>
>>2649848
>Why?
Because you'll get robbed ofc anon. The only sub-saharran African country you can walk around at night, in general, is Rwanda
>Never been, but Nyali beach seems to be the most talked about after I dyor about it
Diani Beach is a 2-hour trip out of the city so is nicer imo
>Is the African slop good?
2 out of 3 of your questions have been retarded anon
>>
>>2649833
The super hot ones suck since they have serious "queen" syndrome, even if they go for you. I preferred average girls with nice bodies.

I made the mistake of dealing with some "queens" early on. Memorable, but ultimately disastrous.
>>
Man I fucking miss Kenya. I need to go back. I know I'm fucking regret it a week in but I need some jungle bunny booty.
>>
>>2649823
>Very distressing
what's the problem? just give her $20 "taxi money" in the morning, way cheaper than hooker in Thailand or date in the west

>>2649836
I walked short distances at night in well lit areas and it was fine, you need to be on guard, don't be drunk etc.
lack of mid range food and accommodation is a problem but women compensate that
>>
>>2649865
>I walked short distances at night in well lit areas and it was fine, you need to be on guard, don't be drunk etc.
>lack of mid range food and accommodation is a problem but women compensate that
Everyone told me not to so I didn't cause I didn't need to. Like motorbike taxis after a couple of beers anyway.
Be careful of the nothing happened to me so it's safe mindset. I worked in Phuket for 6 months and thought it was super safe. Literally the last weekend my gf was robbed on the back of my motorbike (bag snatch) 2 DAYS in a row, one colleague/friend was raped, and her friend was stopped with her Thai bf walking on the beach at night by a Thai gang and they beat him with metal bars as she watched. He has permanent brain damage.
I always felt safe in Phnom Penh too, would take loads of valium and ride around the city at 2 am until someone threw a brick at me while I was riding my motorbike
>>
>>2649867
That’s fucked up man
>>2649852
Why would I know how African food tastes you fuckin jollofa dingo I’ve never BEEN THERE
>>
>>2649610
Thank you for these posts. Novel information and bizarre images
>>
>>2649052
>what is the reason for this?
It's unreasonably expensive, value for money is awful.
>>
unironically people being racist and limiting them from going, and in the case they actually go, limiting them from actually ever interacting them with africans. i've travelled a lot in west africa and had only good experiences with people if you aren't retarded and can filter out the people aggressively trying to scam you. also the average "backpacker" is a glorified hotel resort tourist, so the lack of western standard infrastructure filters out the vast majority of them. better this way, makes the place actually travellable with it not being filled with insufferable backpackers
>>
Is Rwanda a good place to visit? Seems the most stable of the African nations. How's JBW there?
>>
>>2649606
>>2649607
>>2649609
>>2649610
Fun read, thanks for the write up anon. The constant price gouging for being White/western sounds like an awful experience.
>>
>>2649052
Everyone that I’ve ever spoken to that has spent significant time in Africa for work has described it as the biggest shithole imaginable. Maybe some countries are a bit better than others, but it’s just shitty and dangerous all around.

I wouldn’t go unless you really have to see giraffes and omegapoors.
>>
>>2652100
>Senegal
Tell me more as a pleb going for the first time. Will drivers in Dakar run me over?
>>
>>2652045
so the lack of western standard infrastructure filters out the vast majority of them. better this way, makes the place actually travellable with it not being filled with insufferable backpackers
yeah what do those noble savages need with roads, running water, and stable commodities pricing brought about by reliable trade...
>>
i've toyed with the idea of visiting Swakopmund in Namibia, good weather year-round, relatively white (for a african town) and in a somewhat safe country (for africa), anyone else been there?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.