[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Mid 20s, got laid off this week. No job lined up, unemployment and severance paying me for the time being. Leaving for Spain tomorrow for two weeks (planned this months ago) but I'm thinking about what I could do when I get back. I realize being in this position is rare and freeing and not many people get the opportunity. I want to take advantage of it while I can, explore the states or go on some more trips. Take my car out west for a few weeks and explore the national parks, camp, and explore around. What would you do?
>>
>>2654531
>What would you do?
sell all my furniture
move to Thailand
train muay thai
>>
Honestly? I would enjoy Spain for two weeks, and the when I got home, sell all my shit and move to Texas or New York or something.
>>
>>2654531
Been having similar thoughts for a couple weeks. 27, bullshit tech job I wanna quit, nothing tying me down except a 1600/mo apt lease that expires in early June. Plenty of money saved. My first idea is a US national park tour from Memorial Day until October and try to land a job somewhere I could give a shit about in the meanwhile.
>>
>>2654587
The problem is you can’t save enough money to last you as long as you’d need to live the life not tied down now. You can’t get an Airbnb, a short term lease, or even a used car with low mileage. You’re screwed without an income and buying on credit because everything is so expensive.
>>
>>2654569
What would you do in Jew York though?
>>
>>2654531
If I were you, I'd delay the return trip from Spain as far as possible, and stay there for the summer. Use the two weeks' accommodation you've got lined up to find a landlord on FB or something to help you find something medium-term. And chill in Madrid and Barcelona off of your savings while you job hunt.

Everything is so cheap in Spain, your savings will go a lot farther. You can actually enjoy your life instead of sitting at home in the US freaking out about your career. Of course, if you are asked during interviews, say you're in the US. Telling companies you're abroad, even temporarily, seems to make them jumpy.

I'm in a similar situation myself, except I've managed to land a low-stakes remote gig that pays exceedingly well. I'm 27, got dumped like six months ago after she larped as my one true love & finding it hard to take an interest in anything anymore. Gonna be smoking weed at clubs in Madrid & playing my guitar until my Schengen visa-free time runs out, then fucking off somewhere else.

Layoffs are a traumatic experience, like a breakup or the death of a loved one. You need a change of pace, an escape from ordinary life, and an extended Euro trip might be just what you need.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you the job market in tech is utter shit & it could be months before you find a new position. Go somewhere cheap where you can stretch your savings out as long as possible while you job hunt. It fucking sucks ass being a grown ass man and not being able to go anywhere, or do anything, because you've got no money. Take the first two weeks off to get your mind off things and recharge, then hunker down and apply to more shit. Good luck.
>>
>>2655685
Why not? Biggest city. Most opportunities. Most women. No real reason to go anywhere else either.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.