[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: i7kju6yhgtrvf.jpg (21 KB, 474x266)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
What's the worst thing about the streaming era?
>>
>>198512445
people bitching about a system they don’t have to participate in
>>
>>198512445
Choking all of the profits out of movie theatres
While in turn, reduces the profits for the movie studios
While in turn, means the studios have to play it safe all the time with what they make, aka franchises made in the 80s/90s
>>
>>198512445
-All the content is terrible
-People are consuming more of it than ever before
-Movies are basically dead, the ones that do come out lack any of the art and craft that made the medium so good
>>
File: 1713837670342.jpg (38 KB, 354x367)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
ads and the multitudes of movies that streaming sites don't have but they have a blank page for telling you it's not available just to fuck with you
>>
>>198512445
when streaming services like peacock which is NBC Universal and it doesn't have all the Shrek movies and stuff like Shrek 4D etc. if I'm paying for "the NBC Universal Illumination" streaming service, it better have the major releases at LEAST

I looked for Mr Meaty on Paramount + and couldn't find it. had to go online. shit like Tubi at least hosts a lot of stuff. Paramount isn't even hosting the shit that it owns.
>>
4k not meaning anything. 4k bluray is something special. Its an insult that streaming services call their shit 4k that looks like a pixelated Youtube video
>>
>>198512445
Target audience is women
>>
Probably that they killed the zeitgeist. People used to talk about shows. Now that conversation is usually

>Hey, I'm watching X
>Never heard of it. Oh its Netflix? I only have Hulu.

Or

>Hey, I'm watching X
>Oh, don't tell me anything. I'm only on episode 2.
>>
Not many shows lasting long in the conscious mind after they premiere. Very rarely you see shows talked about any more after the show has ended.
>>
>>198512803
Mr meaty is kino.
>>
Expiration dates on content. Shows being filmed for binge watching have lots of Bravo Vince content. Unnecissary cliffhangers, quick side plots for 2 episodes, and little reswatcheability
>>
File: thinking.jpg (32 KB, 619x361)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>198512445
"Productification" of Art
>>
That they edit content. It happened in the DVD era too but not as much (ex. Daria). It's impossible to find old a lot of old tv shows with the original broadcast music.
>>
>>198512445
The best thing about it is all of the studios losing billions from it.
>>
>>198512445
A whole lot of wasted resources to produce nothing of worth. It can't even leave an impression on society because there's so much of it and it comes out so fast.
>>
>>198512445
>movie/tv episode ends
>holy shit, that was the most emotionally devasating--
>credits tab away
>"THIS SUMMER, A GROUP TAKES A STAND AGAINST RACISM" (play next)
>>
>>198512975
>>Hey, I'm watching X
>>Oh, don't tell me anything. I'm only on episode 2.
I hate this
>>
>>198512445
bitrate
>>
>Disney now has 3 (soon 4) streaming apps
>>
File: 1564156146.jpg (59 KB, 537x409)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>198512445
It's going to get to a point where they're all going to merge together and there'll be plans like
>"Basic"
>"Basic+Sports"
>"Basic+Children"
>"Basic+Movies"

And then:
>"Premium"
and finally
>"EVERY SINGLE FUCKING THING EVER FUCKING MADE."

At that point I honestly wouldn't be surprised if most people just rent movies again, only it'll be all online. I've always held the belief however that we WILL go back to physical media and that all this future stuff that we think is going to happen will never happen. No self-driving cars/trucks, and once too many people get laid off congress will like ban AI and call it the "American Employment Protection Act" or some shit.
>>
>>198512445
Long-form narratives.
>>
>>198513066
Hard to argue with that
>>
>>198512445
prices just keep going up and up and up
>>
>>198512445
Dumping entire seasons of shows all at once kills any chance shows have to gain traction and build fanbases.

Imagine how less fun watching and discussing GoT would have been if once a year they dropped 10 episodes all at once.
>>
>>198513090
can't fucking stand this holy fuck. i HATE how streaming services don't let you have even a second of quiet without forcing the next thing in your face
>>
>>198512913
this, in particular coupled with the fact that stuff made by streaming services generally doesn't release on blu ray neither.
eg the expanse, you can only get the first 4 seasons on bluray, and its only 1080p.
you then have to settle for the 4k amzn web-dl which is like 15mb/s or something like that...
>>
>When's the next season?
>Uhhhhhhhh.....
>>
>>198514381
we're winding up back where we started.
>>
>>198512616
/thread
>>
>>198513363
>ve always held the belief however that we WILL go back to physical media and that all this future stuff that we think is going to happen will never happen. No self-driving cars/trucks, and once too many people get laid off congress will like ban AI and call it the "American Employment Protection Act" or some shit.
this is a utopian vision of the future i can support.
>>
>>198514559
This is kind of rough. You used to know the next season would start in September, unless the show got cancelled. The switch to streaming seemed nice at first because the show didn't have to be rushed to meet network television deadlines. But shows are garbage now anyways, so no amount of extra production time is going to make them good.
>>
>>198514381
>$20 a month to watch gay teenagers bitch about make-believe problems
>>
That everything is pure shit but as it is readily available it gets consumed anyways which creates a feedback loop.
>>
>>198512445
I like it. It's way cheaper than cable or satellite TV with fewer ads, and it's faster and easier than torrenting.
>>
>>198512445
It's just cable 2.0 with nothing worth watching.
>>
>>198515073
>It's way cheaper than cable or satellite TV
For now
>with fewer ads
For now
>>
>>198512445
The fact that companies can arbitrarily stop providing access to content that they made, just for tax purposes.
>>
>>198512445
Who owns the companies
>>
>>198515188
>just for tax purposes.
Quick QRD on this?
>>
>>198514559
>The next season premieres in 2027 and it'll be 6 episodes long
>>
The push to get rid of physical copies
>>
>>198515640
Fucking yes. Been thinking of burning a bunch of my shit to DVDs but DVDs that'll last long cost a shitload.
>>
>>198515224
As I understand it, a piece of media that is removed from streaming (and cannot be found elsewhere) can be counted as a sort of 'lost profit opportunity' and marked as a write-off on the tax report, while also making it so that they don't have to pay residuals to actors and production staff.
>>
>>198514721
I really miss when shows would have a new episode almost every week from September to May and they'd run for several seasons. Now every show has 10 episodes max per season and the seasons are released all at once every 3 years.
>>
>>198514430
Also, seasons that are too short don't give enough time to get attached to the characters or to develop story arcs. You watch the first season of a show and it's only like 4 episodes, and the characters just aren't developed enough by the end of that for you to care about them.
>>
>>198513451
Can you elaborate?
>>
>>198513354
I know Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+, what's the fourth?
>>
>>198517468
Tubi
>>
>>198512445
Certain movies constantly moving around the platforms, and sometimes being suddenly placed behind a paywall.
>>
>>198517689
Tubi isn't owned by Disney, it's owned by the portion of Fox that Disney didn't acquire.
>>
>>198517833
Plus Tubi is free so who gives a shit
>>
>>198512445
Nothing. Everything is available the same day through torrents. Streaming is fantastic.
>>
>>198518250
But I miss TV
>>
>>198517729
Luckily all of the movies that are worth watching were released back when physical media was a thing.
>>
>>198512913
Yeah coz it's compressed to absolute shit so they can save bandwidth. The bitrates on streaming service are, at best, 1/4 of what you get on a bluray.
It's fucking pathetic.
>>
>>198512445
The streaming era ruined the idea of a shared pop culture. Maybe zoomers are too young to truly appreciate it, but there was something really nice about going up to people you know and talking about the same show you all just watched last night. Something being on once and having to wait for reruns to be able to see it again made entertainment feel more alive and like something you are experiencing with others. Streaming has now made everything fragmented and no one watches the same shows. Even if you do watch the same shows, the on demand factor and the nature of releases on streaming has made it so you are all at different places watching the show.
>>
>>198514559
To be fair. You should have learned by now not to bother investing time into a show UNTIL it's completely finished.
>>
>>198512445
>"I want to make a movie"
>"No make it a TV series"
>Majority of show is bullshit filler episodes
>>
>>198518806
As much as we love to shit on the MCU on this board, Avengers Endgame was the last time this shared pop culture was really a thing.
>>
>>198515073
>and it's faster and easier than torrenting.
*but It has 1000 times less content.
This is one of the main reasons we're in this mess. Because people like you choose convenience over quality, every single time.
>>
>>198518250
None of it is worth torrenting/watching though.
>>
>>198512975
This is my main problem.
>>
>Quietly censors movies and removes TV episodes
>>
>>198512445
Streaming makes money with subscription, therefore the only important thing is to have as many titles as possible and for those to be as recognizable as possible. The actual content doesn't need to be good at all, therefore it won't be
>>
>>198514921
this
>>
>>198518848
Embarassing but true
Haven't seen it, btw
>>
>>198518806
>The streaming era ruined the idea of a shared pop culture.
True. It also killed discovering new good stuff you were never going to watch if you had a choice. The amount of movies I wouldn't have given a chance (because it's le old, or the affects are eh, or it's not my genre...) if I was raised with streaming is astronomical. My tastes would be much more limited (like zoomers' tastes).
>>
>>198512445
>What's the worst thing about the streaming era?
they pretend you can watch anything you want but they don't give proper back catalog access to things done decades ago by people who had a fucking clue about the thing they made content about
>>
>>198512445
The "original theatrical editions" aren't.
>>
File: rem.jpg (72 KB, 710x645)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
id pay a monthly fee to a service if it was equal to, or better, than piracy.
>>
>>198512975
>Hey, I'm watching X
>Oh, don't tell me anything. I'm only on episode 2.
This is the single biggest reason why no one get excited about shows and talks about them with friends. There is no sustained period in which a show is relevant to everyone. Back in the day, most shows were also trash, of course, but if there was a good one, everyone talked about the most recent episode during the week, discussed theories and fanwank, and just enjoyed sharing it. Now it's like it drops in the middle of the night and you have to rush to consume it before someone spoils it. It's just a dreadful and solitary experience now.
>>
>>198520946
Zoomers will never feel the mass communal comfiness of watching The Wizard of Oz on TV, or the ABC cut of Superman I and II;etc.
Very sad.
>>
>>198513363
>No self-driving cars/trucks, and once too many people get laid off congress will like ban AI and call it the "American Employment Protection Act" or some shit
This is the only realistic outcome of it once AI gets smart enough to replace executive positions.
>>
>>198515073
>I....LE NEED IT YESTERDAY
this addiction to instant gratification is what doomed us. shame on you fucking faggots. go stuff mcgoyslop down your throat
>>
>>198512445
MLB
You buy the package and 25% of the games are on another streaming service!

And shows will start on tv then go to streaming only for new episodes
LAME
>>
>>198521138
okay dad. dont forget to mail your rental dvd's back
>>
Nothing has any lasting impact. Also, when you watched cable it felt like it was a real place because you knew other people were watching the same thing at the same time. Streaming is just a static interface with no soul and you get no indication that anyone else could be watching the same show as you.
>>
>>198521233
I recently saw The Goonies for free in a real theater full of happy people wanting to see the movie and to not fuck around on their phones or talk inappropriately through the feature, and it was glorious. I could feel the relaxation of the audience. What a joyous experience. So glad I removed the hermitpill from my ass for once and went out and saw it.
And to think, I almost stay home to watch it on DVD.
>>
>>198518822
Exactly, i stopped watching new shows. Now i will wait till they are completely finished with the series. Too many shows start out then get cancled halfway through.
>>
>>198512445
>movies and shows hidden behind paywalls
>movies and shows being moved from one streaming service to another
>any free content is terrible
>having to subscribe to multiple services
It's grim
>>
>>198521897
>>any free content is terrible
LOL No. Youtube+Internet Archive=endless based entertainment.
>>
>>198512445
that they intentionally sabotaged it in order to draw people back into a new form of 1/3 ad time linear tv
>>
not watched streaming services in a while now so dunno if they do or not but I always felt they should have added extras and features like you'd get on dvd set upon clicking on a movie instead of just going straight into said movie
>>
>>198522043
Theaters were large mugs made of heather stone; streaming is paper cups.
>>
File: jellyfin.png (51 KB, 600x900)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>What's the worst thing about the streaming era?
i can't really think of anything. streaming is pretty great in my house, i can even stream if the internet goes down for a few hours. not sure what people are complaining about
>>
>>198521202
>buy nba league pass
>the only team you want to watch is blocked because it's local market
>local games are gate locked on bally sports which nothing carries
>>
File: 1553396619549.jpg (52 KB, 960x960)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>198512445
Licensing. You could be enjoying some kino on a service one day, but then the next day you find out it's not available anymore and no other service has it.
>>
>>198512445
Everything is gay.
>>
>>198512445
No shared sense of comradarie anymore because no one watches a show at the same time. I dont want to discuss a show with someone who binge watches.
>>
>>198512616
>While in turn, means the studios have to play it safe all the time with what they make, aka franchises made in the 80s/90s
Delusional hipster detected
>>
I remember back in 2015 when there was only Netflix and it cost like $7 a month and you got so much shit since there was no competition. Also blew my mind at the time that there was a program that let you stream any show or movie for that cheap. Now, of course, media kikes ran that concept into the ground and its so pricey now that I'm back to pirating.
>>
>>198521319
>Too many shows start out then get cancled halfway through.
Isn’t that because nobody is watching?
>>
Almost nothing to watch. I only have criterion channel.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.