[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713770052316396.png (537 KB, 1091x671)
537 KB
537 KB PNG
>breaks the fourth wall
has this ever added anything to a flick, or was it always a pointless gimmick
>>
File: images.jpg (15 KB, 739x415)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
it works sometimes
>>
>>198514143
appropriate for the themes in the movie.
been thinking this one over. it's really not overtly frightening, but the movie is subtly terrifying, kinda dwells in the subconscious.
As part of the audience we were also involved in the ritual.
Just as gullible as the hypnotist suggests, perhaps thinking we'd get away from the movie unaffected.
>>
>>198514143
it was done well in fight club, not a huge fan of the dick one at the end since i watched it with my dad and it was really awkward, (was that bradd pitt's actual dick?) but the ones where he faces the camera and speaks to the viewers is really cool especially if you dont know it will happen
>>
>>198514143
Hang on, so if johnny looked at the camera that's the same thing? Didn't know that meant 4th wall
>>
>>198514143
Her looking into the camera was great and they underused it. It's found footage so she's just looking into a TV camera.
>>
Deadpool
>>
>>198514379
The book is first person narration. The movie was great until it broke from the book and became what it was trying to criticize.
>>
>>198514143
It didn't break the fourth wall though, she was looking at a camera that existed in the movie.
>>
File: sorcerer.webm (2.93 MB, 720x405)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>
>>198514439
almost every book to movie adaptation breaks away from the book, you can’t possibly cram every detail and event from a book into a movie, its still a great movie
>>
>>198514522
It follows the book pretty much 1:1. What I was pointing out was that it changes the ending (not that it leaves stuff out). I'll bet you're one of those retards who didn't realize Project Mayhem was a cult.
>>
>>198514574
>What I was pointing out was that it changes the ending (not that it leaves stuff out).
yes.. as many book to movie adaptations do
>I'll bet you're one of those retards who didn't realize Project Mayhem was a cult.
it wasnt a cult, it was a club, a group can only be a cult if they are wishing and invoking harm on the public.
>>
>>198514671
>it wasnt a cult, it was a club
Absolutely filtered and I called it. It was a cult, retard. The point is that the people who join it sublimate their agency to a false prophet.
>brainwashing abuse
>shave your head
>take away your name
>make you wear all a nondescript uniform
It's like what the military does only dialed up to 11.

Seriously, I can never get over just how many retards Fight Club has outed. You know the violence was ironic, right? They're trying to reclaim themselves from a bankrupt society by destroying their bodies.
>>
I don't care just tell me who that cute girl is
>>
>>198514522
I got something the entire being of which I can cram into you
>>
>>198514809
https://www.instagram.com/ingridtorelli_
much like the cutie from "you were never really here" shes pretty much a no one
>>
>>198514143
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsKoxi12jbI
pure kino
>>
>>198514351
Buy an ad
>>
>>198514522
you can actually. I read silence of the lambs recently and I can't think of anything that's not also in the film. or if they did cut something they didn't do it out of need for shorter runtime.
>>
>>198514143
Dedicated narrators who talk to the audience are kino, look at Barry Lyndon and Babe.
>>
File: R (2).jpg (128 KB, 1300x731)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>198514864
As soon as I saw her name this thought came into my mind
>>
>>198514793
>a false prophet.
and yet there was none, there was no leader of it all, just someone to guide to the proper way, but no one demanding respect or to be bowed to.
>It's like what the military does only dialed up to 11.
the military comes with a contract, one you must fullfill to the end, you are dumb.
>You know the violence was ironic, right?
and this matters why?
>>198514955
memory can fail you, facts cannot.
https://litreactor.com/columns/book-vs-film-the-silence-of-the-lambs.html
>>
The problem i have with this movie is the same i have with Rebel Moon. It is too derivative.

This is essentially Ghostwatch with a couple references to real life occult shit as well various other movies.
It is well put together and i generally liked the movie, but it didn't do anything new or interesting.
>>
>>198515032
>>
>>198514143
>>198514247
>>198514351
>>198514379
>>198514409
What movie?
>>
>>198515049
>but no one demanding respect or to be bowed to
He literally verbally/physically abuses them, takes away their names, brands them, makes them shave their heads, and live in a commune (while he does whatever he wants and makes the rules). Holy shit, how are you not getting this?
>the military comes with a contract
Holy shit! You're so fucking dumb. Why do you think the military does those things to recruits, retard? It's to mentally/physically break down individuals and turn them into an order following unit. I wasn't saying the cult comes with a contract you mouth-breathing moron.
>and this matters why?
Ah, so that filtered you as well. You see, irony is a narrative device wherein an expectation is met with its inverse. In this case, proto-cult members believe they're reclaiming themselves from a social system that treats them as cookie cutter disposable units but what they're really doing is destroying what they think they are reclaiming. The physical violence part, destroying something they think they're claiming, is pretty on-the-nose and you're a complete retard for not picking up on it (fuck, they ever have a scene where Brad Pitt specifically states to the audience "I wanted to destroy something beautiful").

Shit you're dumb. You'd literally join a fucking cult if one came along. Fuck, lol. Go apologize to your parents and ask your mother why she didn't swallow you.
>>
>>198515177
Late Night with the Devil. It's pretty good up until the last 15 mins when it goes completely off the rails.
>>
>>198514143
The part in the winnie the pooh movie where they get out of the hole using the narrators text was cute
>>
soul
>>
>>198514864
She was a great actress for a no one
>>
>>198515177
Late Night with the Devil. It's pretty good, especially the last 15 mins when it goes completely bananas.
>>
soi horror incarnate

i predict /film/fags will worship this movie
>>
>>198514864
Sorry chuds, she's not interested.
>>
>>198515593
>especially
I meant to write except. Maybe the demon was real after all.
>>
File: IngridT.jpg (485 KB, 1288x1002)
485 KB
485 KB JPG
>>198514864
How did she age so quickly
>>
>>198515682
aussie
>>
File: IMG_8227.gif (999 KB, 500x213)
999 KB
999 KB GIF
>>198514143
Pic related is literally the only scene where breaking the fourth wall in a horror movie worked
>>
>>198515384
>He literally verbally/physically abuses them,
it is not abuse if they are voluntarily being there/ letting it happen.
>akes away their names, brands them, makes them shave their heads, and live in a commune
yet again, all things they let themselves be exposed to/ experience
>(while he does whatever he wants and makes the rules).
because Tyler is the one who understand the motive and end goal of it all, hence why the club needed to be formed in the first place, to correct the paths of the men who were lost and unaware of such things
>I wasn't saying the cult comes with a contract you mouth-breathing moron.
But you did miss my point on how someone cannot just leave the military whenever he pleases but he can with the "cult" in fight club.
>In this case, proto-cult members believe they're reclaiming themselves from a social system that treats them as cookie cutter disposable units but what they're really doing is destroying what they think they are reclaiming.
why? because YOU as the confused reader has labeled the club as a cult and therefore in YOUR viewpoint of it all, see all the actions and beliefs of the club as some cult that is some repurposed version of their previous lives as wagie slaves despite doing little to nothing to expand and help those up high that they were previously?? but yeah since you say its satire, that totally makes sense
>>
>>198514351
The movie sucked and was boring but the worst part about it was knowing all the insufferable pseudo intellectual takes like this it would inspire.
>>
Just finished it.

A little too obvious.
A little too corny.
A little too safe.
And bad effects.

Like the safest most bland attempt at the horror mockumentary ever.
>>
>>198514143
Last arc was shit.
>>
>>198514247
thats not really the same thing
hes the narrator in that story, is narrating a past story "breaking the fourth wall"
>>
97% on rotten tomatoes?

critics are so cringe
the most half-hearted horror mockumentary ever
>>
>>198515806
>it is not abuse if they are voluntarily being there/ letting it happen
Dumbest thing you've written so far. It's brainwashing, retard. Why do you think battered women stay with their husbands and actually believe it's their fault? (inb4 you try and be an edgelord and write "it is"). Do you think people unwillingly join cults? It's unwittingly and you're a dimwit so you'd better watch out.
>yet again, all things they let themselves be exposed to/ experience
See above, dimwit.
>because Tyler is the one who understand the motive and end goal of it all
It's because he's the cult leader, retard. It's pretty funny that you idolize him. You're lucky no one has realized how dimwitted and easily manipulated you are because you a ripe candidate for drinking Cyanide-Aid.
>But you did miss my point on how someone cannot just leave the military whenever he pleases but he can with the "cult" in fight club
Evidence that they can leave the club? Also, you can leave during basic you absolute retard.
>because YOU as the confused reader has labeled the club as a cult and therefore in YOUR viewpoint of it all
I've listed the reasons it's a cult and you've done nothing other than "nuh unh" like the retard you are. Here, I'll post a pasta about how they changed the ending so you'll understand, well at least read, why the movie produced retards like yourself.
>>
>i-i'm not shilling!
>there's so many threads because the torrent came out!
It's a steaming uninteresting pile of shit and it's obviously getting shilled.
>>
>>198515806
>>198516432
>>196915733
>Book: Target is the Museum of Natural History (an entirely different symbol that underscores just what nihilism is aiming at). Marla saves The Narrator by making him conscious of himself (i.e. traditional archetypal role for a female love interest). The bombs fail to go off (it's an anti-climax). The Narrator tries to kill himself but fails and ends up in the psych ward. In the end, he's lost his mind and he sees what he did as an achievement; Project Mayhem still lives (i.e. the violent impulse is eternal and it's part of a forever war).

>Movie: The target is credit card companies (i.e. instead of the true nature of nihilism we get a mission the audience sympathizes with and cheers on). The Narrator goes on a heroic rescue mission to save the damsel in distress. He sacrifices himself by shooting himself in the head to kill Durden and save Marla. He embraces her, starts making out with her (even though he just shot himself in the mouth, kek), The Pixies blare, and the bombs go off in the background. There are no consequences and all irony is lost.

P.S. Most retards miss the use of irony in the story as well, for example:
>the violence of the Fight Club is ironic: the characters destroy their bodies in an attempt to reclaim them
>they don't catch that the Fight Club develops into a cult (i.e. Project Mayhem) and its adherents merely sublimated their personal emptiness/lack of agency into a destructive nihilism that's the same thing (only reactionary)

Basically, the story is about cultural malaise from a masculine perspective (represented by consumerism and illusory social connections that result in the destruction of the personal identity of the individual and, on a larger scale, a social stratification devoid of meaning or real value) and the turn to nihilism that results from it. The differences between the endings of the book/film change the moral and, as stated before, the movie ends up becoming what it was criticizing.
>>
>>198514351
>subtly terrifying
>dwells in the subconscious
you're joking right? it was cheap schlock
>>
>>198514143
She isn't really breaking the fourth wall, the camera is actually there in the story
>>
>>198515142
this, it's rosemary baby's twist, watered down exorcist, some ghostwatch, and a over the top caricature of james randhi...it didn't even make much sense why do the ritual to just be a dwindling late night host?

shame because it has a campy style and a fun premise but I think they struggled
>>
>>198516428
no fucking way it's an honest 6.5 at best
>>
>>198514143
DUDE...WORMS!
>>
>>198514143
Funny you should ask...
https://youtu.be/bdMiXvaZZK0
>>
>breaks the fourth belt
>>
>>198516432
>It's brainwashing, retard
where and when does this happen? they werent mkultra'd or forced to watch some shit like in a clockwork orange, they VOLUNTARILY show up and VOLUNTARILY stay.
>It's because he's the cult leader, retard.
he's not a cult leader, nor is it a cult, he just knows what needs to be done, not only for his own gain but the gain of ALL MEN, if wanting the best and to help men escape the rat cage they were forced in their whole lives equates to being a cult leader than so be it,
>It's pretty funny that you idolize him
who wouldnt idolize him? there is not a single thing he does or says in the entire film that a true man shouldnt strive to not only agree with, but to act on as well.
>You're lucky no one has realized how dimwitted and easily manipulated you are because you a ripe candidate for drinking Cyanide-Aid.
the difference is I (and many others who "idolize" Tyler) can tell when the end goals of such a group is actually in just one person best interest vs in the best interest of the group, which it was for in the case of fight club.
>Evidence that they can leave the club?
Evidence they couldnt?? they werent strapped down and forced there.
>>
>>198514143
>has this ever added anything to a flick
the only time I've ever seen it add anything was in Pee Wee's Big Adventure
>>
I feel it works in Malcolm in the Middle and in Death Race 2000 (Remake)
>>
Crossing the proscenium, as it were.
>>
klaus kinski can do it
>>
>>198516372
What did the last part mean?
>>
File: file.png (403 KB, 600x419)
403 KB
403 KB PNG
>>198514143
the end of All Hallow's Eve is exceptionally creepy. best fourth wall breaking in horror.
Terrifier 2 tourists never saw it.
>>
>>198518120
no one over the age of 15 finds these movies good or scary
>>
>>198514143
Breaking the 4th wall was pretty important in The Ring.
>>
File: fgmp.jpg (34 KB, 576x406)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>198514143
>It's ok to torture and murder them, yeah? It's fun and you agree by watching. You are to blame for all of this ;)
>>
>>198518645
i watched this with my dad and he made me turn it off because it made him so upset
>>
>>198514143
I'm still pissed that they didn't commit to the mockumentary aspect. Despite all of the things I did enjoy about the film (mainly the cast), the director also felt the need to use every shitty cliche from Youtube analog horror and creepypastas.
>>
File: 1591531386271.png (75 KB, 348x301)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
is it worth watching? i'm a fan of David Dastmalchian
>>
>>198515682
it's over
>>
>>198519311
He's great in it, as is the girl. The ending is fucking garbage, though.
>>
>>198519354
that's what i thought originally seeing from the trailer. thanks.
>>
>>198515593
>>198515405
HELLO SIRS
>>
File: gowatchit.jpg (123 KB, 1280x720)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>is complete and utter kino in your path
>>
File: IMG_0429.jpg (168 KB, 1000x533)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>perhaps the most meta movie ever
>never breaks the fourth wall
>>
>>198514143
They always cast a hot 18 year old to play a much younger girl . It's like they want you to think you're wrong in the head
>>
>>198514143
The movie constantly toys with the viewer. Her behavior was actually the demon mocking ppl's obsession with being famous
>>
File: bueller_26.jpg (144 KB, 1995x850)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>198514247
>>
>>198514143
>has this ever added anything
worked for shakespeare
>>
>>198518645
I stood up and applauded myself at the end.
>>
>>198514143
Deadpool ruined a generation of writers but the blame is always pinned on Disney and MCU movies
>>
>>198514143
It was funny in Emperor's New Groove.
Not a flick, but the TV show Hustle made great use of it.
>>
>>198522998
>>198523360
>>198514143
I blame the Ancient Greeks.
>>
>>198514351
If demons are real watching media like this invites them into your life.
>>
>>198514417
>she's literally looking at /tv/
Bros I don't feel so good about things I posted now...
>>
>>198514143
You're example wasn't really "breaking the fourth wall" though. The central conceit is that the movie is the raw, unedited footage of a late night show. Her looking at the camera is something that happens regularly in real life.
>>
File: 1810034.png (727 KB, 2000x1125)
727 KB
727 KB PNG
>>198514143
No. Breaking the fourth wall and going meta is the laziest thing a writer can possibly do.
>>
>>198515607
women change their views based on their man, anon
>>
>>198514143
This isn't breaking the fourth wall? It's a late night talk show. They all acknowledge the cameras.
Breaking the fourth wall would be if she started talking about the narrator at the beginning or referencing that you're watching it decades after it supposedly aired.
>>
>>198515682
All the molesting. Getting sexed as a child activates your puberty sooner and makes you age faster.
>>
>Ghostwatch but for hipsters obsessed with the 70s
>>
>>198518645
>posts the american version
NGMI
>>
>>198518645
I wonder what they would say to people that masturbate to guro.
>>
>>198521501
>mfw I got away with it
>>
>>198519354
I wouldn't go so far to say garbage but it was uninspired.
I think it would work better if they portrayed the host as somebody who doesn't believe in what The Grove does and just uses the connections, then he'd have to face that what happened to his wife was his own doing. Instead the revelation came out of nowhere and didn't have any impact.
Also: the fact that the girl wasn't under hypnosis was a small nice foreshadowing
>>
>>198515752
fuck you anon, this broke my monitor
>>
>>198514143
original house of cards
>>
>lets make a movie about a late night broadcast, act like its found footage
>except during the commercial breaks lets shoot it like a regular movie except in black and white
>lets give a 15 minute intro about the events leading up to the broadcast, rather than reveal it through exposition (actually, lets do both for some reason! for instance, let's talk about the host's dead wife in the intro and then have a character explain it in depth during the broadcast!)
>also lets add some AI goyslop art and outsource our CGI to a single pajeet in a warehouse using a windows 95 computer
>lets make sure we do another little girl acting like the excorcist girl, nobody is sick of that shit yet, it still scares boomers! no no no, her staring into the camera isn't the creepiest thing in the entire movie, look theres a CGI GHOST!!! and if you look close she pops up a bunch!! spooky!! better give it a rewatch!
>lets make the last 20 minutes the most painfully stupid shit imaginable, lets make the audience feel like walking out because its so ridiculous and stupid and clashes so much with the rest of the movie, that's a great idea

Fuck this shit, you guys are generous with the 6/10. I loved the 'feel' of the movie once it got past the pointless intro, but the writer and director did everything in their power to take an interesting concept and make it into the dumbest movie imaginable. It's not dumb enough to be B shlock despite the shitty CGI, but it's not good enough to be kino. 3/10 at best.
>>
>>198526955
i'm not reading that shit
the movie was kino
*leaves the thread*
>>
File: 1682766243462305.jpg (25 KB, 516x557)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
Huh, other fella? Why is James Bond looking at me, am I the other fella?
>>
Just watched this movie. Was I supposed to like it? It wasn't scary at all.
>>
File: 23525323.png (56 KB, 371x387)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
>>198527014
based retard
>>
>>198526955
I'll be honest with you anon, I only liked this movie because it's from Hollywood, didn't have niggers and girl power.
10 years ago it would be meh.
>>
>>198514793
Fuck this guy.
>>
DREAMER YOU ARE AWAKE
>>
File: 1563783430360.gif (169 KB, 390x339)
169 KB
169 KB GIF
>>198526517
Agreed. I also think the grove should've not been mentioned in the beginning, would've give the movie more meat in the middle to reveal that he was apart of a cult.
the skele intermission card was the only art poorly done.
>>
>>198526955
Lol I enjoyed the movie but I'm gonna be 100% honest and admit the only reason I enjoyed it is because I was fucking absolutely blitzed high out of my mind so the entire time I felt like I was sitting on my couch in the 70s watching a live broadcast. Nothing in the actual movie was registering with me.
>>
looking at the camera isn't breaking the 4th wall
>>
>>198514143
what is the fifth wall?
>>
>>198516625
97% doesn't mean 97/100
>>
>>198528605
Yes it does.
>>
>>198519311
Yeah it's worth it just for him, regardless of the rest of the films quality
>>
>>198524547
4th wall breaks in videogames are better though because the player is actively involved in the story, not just a passive viewer
>>
>>198526955
>>lets make a movie about a late night broadcast, act like its found footage
>>except during the commercial breaks lets shoot it like a regular movie except in black and white
That's kino. I like when found footage movies shift into normal movies. Like that one movie where the group of people interview and follow a killer only for it change back to normal when the killer goes after them. I totally forgot the name of the movie
>>
Can you guys help me remember that FF movie I'm thinking about? It was a meta movie going over all the slasher tropes. The killers name was in the title the first 2/3rds was mocumentary found footage while the last was filmed normally
>>
Nvm I got some AI bot to figure it out for me. It's Behind The Mask: The Leslie Vernon Story
>>
File: 6nmhenom3zb91.gif (691 KB, 320x180)
691 KB
691 KB GIF
Nothing tops this.
>>
>>198516372
>>198516372
>>198516484
I thought it was great. Especially if you watch old Late Night Talk Show clips.
>>
>>198528556
When you finally turn around and address the people watching you for entertainment.
>>
>>198529956
The Rise of Leslie Vernon
>>
File: Rooney.webm (183 KB, 1280x720)
183 KB
183 KB WEBM
Sometimes it works.
>>
>>198521501
>Are you still alive? Go on, shoosh, die

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.