[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hobbit_trilogy_0.jpg (59 KB, 600x300)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
Honest thoughts?
>>
>>198516470
Not at the level of Lotr trilogy, but I still enjoyed it because of the actors, music and atmosphere. Comfy to watch high af.
>>
>>198516470
i've never seen these but I just finished reading the book again for the first time in years and now I kind of want to check them out. So you tell me.
>>
>>198516470
Needed to (a) whittle itself down to two movies and cut out most of the filler and (b) focus more on Bilbo and the dwarves instead of epic CGI battles and pointless cameos.
>>
>>198516608
I'm OP.

I'd rate the films of the trilogy on average 6.5-7/10

Unexpected journey-6.5
Desolation of Smaug 7.5
Battle of the Five Armies 6.5-7

Decent, pretty good series, but the story and characters take a backseat almost to overblown shitty cgi and digital cinematography

I'd give LOTR trilogy an 8.5/10 for comparison

But the hobbit series, for me, was very comfy
>>
>>198516669
I'm not sure I want to watch 3 movies based on a book that I can finish in less time. Part of the charm of the LOTR movies for me is that I can get a condensed version of the story in much less time than it would take to read all 3 books.
>>
>>198516470
Good to watch on a rainy weekend
>>
>>198516470

Martin was totally miscast

Hobbits and Dwarves did not look like Hobbits and Dwarves

CGI was atrociously bad

New characters sucked

Should have been one movie

And worst of all, it was soulless
>>
Lee pace is great as an elf. Only cate Blanchett has managed to portray an elf properly beside him. The first half of the first movie is comfy.

The fan edit version that brings all 3 into 1 movie by cutting out most of the bullshit makes it a solid movie but obviously not close to the original trilogy
>>
>>198516470
It's comfy and I like it while acknowledging it's shit and misses the point of the book being a whimsical children's story by trying to force it into it's own LotR trilogy. Characters were generally cast well enough, Thorin talking to Bilbo on his deathbed was the best scene in the three movies, anything to do with Legolas is the worst offense in the three movies.
>>
>>198516470
Anyone that says the book is better are literally insane.
>>
>>198516470
First two movies are trash, never bothered with the third and from what clips I've seen I made the right decision.
>>
>>198516470
comfy
>>
>>198518136
You forgot the bloom. Jesus Christ, the fucking bloom. The last movie had the worst of it, made it look like a video game cutscene.
>>
The Hobbit is much more of a children's story than Lord of the Rings. Trying to force it into being Lord of the Rings ruined it.
>>
>>198516470
just comfy whacky adventure
>>
>>198516470
cozy.
fine movies if you like fantasy and dont expect them to be as good as LotR trilogy.
worst flaw is definitely the she-elf falls in love with sexy dwarf man plotline that they shoed in. absolutely atrocious. as soon as i saw fikki and his suspiciously normal looking, handsome, non-dwarfy looking face i knew he was going to be a romantic lead
>>
File: war.jpg (207 KB, 878x1280)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>>198518847
every single dwarf has some facial prosthetic or wacky hair. even thorin is wearing a fake nose.
fikki on the other hand is wearing nothing. no "dwarf" features, literally just a normal, good-looking guy. shit is retarded. its like they were worried women wouldn't like it or something
>>
>>198518847
>>198518902
fuck, my bad, his name is *Kili
>>
I like the first one, the second one feels bloated and the third one is basically all bloat, but I still love the atmosphere, there are genuine moments of comfy schmaltzy sincerity that win me over. Plus I think Martin Freeman as Bilbo is a much more compelling lead than Elijah Wood and fits right into the tone of the series.

It's not the best Hobbit that could've been made, I even think you could've done the 3 movie split in a smarter way, but overall with all the fucked up production factors that went into these, they still have their heart in the right place and still feel worth their time.
>>
>>198516470
DNF
>>
File: smaug-hobbit.jpg (287 KB, 1400x700)
287 KB
287 KB JPG
I enjoyed Benedict Cumberbatch playing a dragon, and would not mind him playing a dragon again in the future.
>>
File: thehobbit-dos-12571.jpg (131 KB, 1920x800)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
smaug was cool but still felt like wasted potential at times
benedict cumswallow had a great voice for him and he had some awesome lines, but some other lines felt way too over-acted, like he was trying way too hard
>>
>>198516470
1st fun comfy meme, 2nd hard carried by smaug. 3rd cringe as shit, actual slop tier. azog could have been a great villain despite the shit cgi if oakenshield wasn't such a shit character. he wasn't allowed to shine because his counterpart was so dull.
humans in fantasy are always cringe as fuck, but stephen fry played his part well.
>>
>>198516470
Long as fuck, eye rolling CGI, shoe-horned female Elf who was in love with the most un-dwarf looking character ever.

5/10 there's enough there to make a decent edit with a reasonable runtime.
>>
File: 1373376702167.jpg (256 KB, 1023x744)
256 KB
256 KB JPG
>coolest orc design barely got any screentime
>>
>>198516470
Watched it ages ago but from memory. The first iirc had this weird issue with focus, where the background would be way too blurry but maybe this is just my blurry memory. The second jumped the shark once or twice but was watchable if bloated and the 3rd was all about jumping the shark and bloat, after all a major part of it had to be the titular battle that takes up maybe half a page in the book. That could still be sort of recovered but that would require meticulous planning and choreography and I don't think they've had tome to do that for the length of the movie they've had to render with CGI.
>>
>>198519931
the framerate was all fugged up in it
think it was at like 60 FPSs or something
>>
I like the first one, it's cozy and gets a lot of things right, the second one is still enjoyable at times but the cracks are starting to show. In the third one it all falls apart.
>>
>>198516470
>>198519871

Are there any good fan edits of this? There are fun parts of each one, but I couldn't actually sit and watch them.
>>
>>198519962
From my experience framerate makes things look sharper, not more blurry
>>
>>198516470
The M4 cut was actually quite good
>>
>>198516470
1 is comfy and fun
2 I can't remember quite as well except for the stuff with Smaug, that was all great
3 I fucking loathe. Smaug gets shafted and sidelined to make way for "hehe funny war" which is the complete opposite of what the story was about. Not like movies and books have to be the same, but in the books the whole war gets skipped to highlight the pointlessness of it all and the movies bastardize that to high hell
>>
>>198520133
The second movie could've all been spooky forest shit. There's enough in there to sustain a full movie, even with their prequel shenanigans. Part 3 should've been all Dragon and denouement.
>>
Don't really remember anything about the first one. Second one sucked so bad that I never saw the third one. Smaug was cool I guess.
>>
First one was pretty comfy and had it's charm. Not offensively bad
Second was alright, had it's problems but again wasn't totally offensive.

Third was trash shit
>>
>>198520133
>but in the books the whole war gets skipped to highlight the pointlessness of it all and the movies bastardize that to high hell
>oh btw this huge battle happened where thorin, kili & fili died, but let's just skip all that shit right
how do you not see how this would be an issue in a movie adaptation
>>
>>198516470
I really think a lot of fat could have been trimmed. I cant think of a performance that i didnt like but its just so bloated, if they really had to do a trilogy they should have just been 90 minute films each, but they wanted to so badly have that real "muh lotr epic 20 hour marathon" and it came at a cost. cgi overused of course but designs are solid, and cate blanchett actually looks like an otherworldly being. overall perfectly serviceable and the best we'll get methinks

favourite dwarf bros? for me its Bofur
>>
>>198516470
>Unexpected Journey
Pretty good but way too much filler
>Desolation of Smaug
Starts great but turns into shit when the elves show up. Becomes good again when Smaug shows up
>5 armies
Horrendously bad. Some absolutely kino scenes with Thorin and Bilbo though but that only makes up like 5 minutes in this 3 hour shitshow
>>
>>198516470
Was really looking forward to it, even got excited when they decided to do 3 movies, instead of 2. Then it came out and I was honestly a little disappointed. I mean I still enjoyed it for the most part, but it was no where near as good as I'd hoped it would be.
I'm a bit more warm to it after I realized that pretty much the entire trilogy is nothing more then a story Bilbo wrote and not necessarily the exact events as they happened

>>198518136
>Martin was totally miscast
I'm 100% sure that they only cast him because there are some pictures of Ian Holm from the 70s where he looks almost identical to Martin

>>198519881
Was originally suppose to be the main villain; Bolg. But then apparently, the actor playing him turned out to be a massive fucking arrogant prick. Same guy that played the Mountain in the first season of Game of Thrones. It wasn't the only series where he was suppose to have a bigger role, but it got cut down. He was originally suppose to appear in a few episodes of Spartacus: Vengeance, but then ended up being killed off at the end of his first episode. He hasn't had that much work since then and despite the fact that they recast the Mountain in GoT a couple more times, he was never asked to reprise the role
>>
The best parts of the third movie were the ending scenes with Bilbo & Gandalf traveling back to the Shire, and Bilbo standing in his empty hobbit hole with the transition to old Bilbo.
Basically the entire ending of the trilogy was greatly done.
I also really loved the scene with Bilbo & Gandalf sitting next to eachother silently after the battle. Coincidentally it was also the very last scene that Ian McKellen shot for the movies (and therefor the last scene he ever did as Gandalf).
>>
File: legolas.gif (2.84 MB, 400x169)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB GIF
>>198520377
It's an issue, sure, but not without solutions.
If you're a cool dude, you could play with the viewers expecations to make them realize they were stoked for a horrible event that kills beloved characters in a way that leaves only sadness.
Another way is to show the war, but not have silly headbutting antics and this shit happen. Instead, for example, narratively focus on what each side is trying to achieve and show how the war fails to help anyone achieve anything and people are just dying for nothing.
>>
>>198516470
The unbelievable physics of the stunts and the overwhelming use of CGI are a real pain the ass, otherwise it's a decent movie trilogy.
>>
>>198520379
They should have cut Legolas, the orc and Sauron from the script. They added nothing to the story

>favorite dwarf
Dwalin
>>
>>198516470
Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage were great actors in this
Benedict Cumberbatch was a good dragon
I hated all the changes Peter Jackson made, because The Hobbit doesn't need any changes to fit in film
Howard Shore had some good ones, but it wasn't as inspiring as LOTR, particularly Fellowship
>>
>>198518136
I really liked Martin
CGI was dogshit at the time, and even worse now
most of the fight scenes are laughably horrid
>>
>>198516470
Cardinal cut is good
>>
>>198516470
As a trilogy, it's dogshit.
Unexpected Journey is pretty good up until teh goblin caves which is terrible.
Desolation was ok. All the added stuff was awful.
BotFA was downright atrocious. Nothing in it was good.
>>
>>198519772
this
>>
File: 458419681.jpg (1.75 MB, 2136x2008)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
>>198520655
>overwhelming use of CGI
more like the overwhelming use of excessive color grading and the 3D/48FPS cameras making everything look fake as fuck
it's a real shame because they actually used quite a lot of practical effects in these movies, it just didn't look like it due to the previously mentioned reasons

iirc, the set they've built for dale was even bigger than the set they've built for minas tirith in LOTR
>>
>>198520133
If they were gonna make such big changes, they might as well have kept Smaug alive for the war. He would have made a far more interesting commander than the pale literally-who orc
>>
>>198520728
48fps has no effect if the movie is not running in that frame rate. 3D cameras also will not inherently make anything look faker because only one eye is used in the flat versions, except that they might be a lower quality camera than what a non-3D film would have access to.
>>
>>198520772
pretty sure they mentioned in the behind-the-scenes how the 3D/48FPS cameras they've used made everything look darker, which is why they had to either make the colors of the sets a lot more vibrant, or adjust the color grading in post
and the excessive color grading is why you often see scenes that still look fake, even when they're on real sets
>>
>>198516470
3rd was an absolute waste.
>>
>>198516470
I enjoyed the first relly much, the others not so much bt I liekd the actors and the story IG and when i watched it i was still that dumb kid that was still understanding "it's better a good written scene than a battle" and I liked in the past "battle of five armies" since by reading the book it was all "Speedrun" bilbo got hit in the head and they told him how it went, people died nothing else.
>>
Now this was kino.
>>
>>198520435
>despite the fact that they recast the Mountain in GoT a couple more times, he was never asked to reprise the role
He got recast due to "scheduling conflicts" which I imagine was The Hobbit filming since GoT s1 was 2011 and first Hobbit was 2012. I'm sure the staff of GoT wasn't too pleased with him for that and honestly he wasn't a good Mountain at all, looked the most out of place of the 4, though Hafthor being a young boy but also the older brother of the Hound was a little too much for the imagination after he was cast.
>>
>>198516470
Awful, soulless cash grab. If you were very young when the LotR films came out, I can imagine these being comforting nostalgia fodder, but for everyone else they are very flimsy and charmless Hollywood products. The Hobbit is a great children's book, and I feel sorry for those of whom these films were how the story was rendered to them, rather than having their parent's read it.
>>
>>198518136
Freeman, McKellen and Pace were the best parts you pinhead
>>
>>198521107
He was terrible. Bilbo is some some snarky edgy faggot like Freeman.
>>
>>198516470
The third one especially never should have existed, there was never any need to show off a battle because it wasn't important to Bilbo, the only thing that happens in the battle of the five armies that matters is Thorin is mortally wounded when all's said and done
>>
>>198516470
>a life of peace and plenty. A life that is worth all the gold in erebor
>there is one I could follow. There is one, I could call king
>home is behind you. The world is ahead
>saruman believes it is only great power that keeps evil in check. But that is not what I have found, I have found it's the small things. The every day deed of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love
>you're right. We don't belong anywhere. I wish you all the luck in the world, I really do
>did I not say you would be a burden? That you would never be one of us?
>I have never been so wrong in all my life
the first movie got so much kino bros
>>
>>198516470
Good first movie, decent first half of second movie, forgetablle third movie
>>
>>198516640
Much of the cast got mogged by azog and bolg.
>>
>>198516470
The first is kinda comfy
>>
>>198521107
>pace, armitage, and mckellen
best among three faggots?
>>
>>198516470
The LOTR equivalent of the Star Wars prequels. Some decent casting but overall CGIslop garbage.
>>
>>198516470
Needed more Legolas.
>>
>>198520435
>Roided beast is a faggot
Who would've thought
>>
Honest opinion, they are trash overall
The guy that played Thranduil was the revelation role, one of the best depictions of a noble, arrogant elf ever, on par with the Hellboy dude, only more noble (but less nimble)
Fantastic role overshadowed by really, really shitty ones like Alfrid and half the dwarves that were outright comical.
Non of the dwarves outside Balin and Dwalin (Bombur gets a pass for character design and Gloin for being a carbon copy of his son) actually feel like dwarves, like another race of people and not just small deformed humans.
The council of old people, were too old, all of them. Hugo, Ian, Cate, Christopher Lee was the only one that, even being older, didn't impacted his character too much.
The movies had unquestionably, too much filler.
The romance plot, the lake town plot, the saruman somehow has returned plot, all feels like filler, because it was
I'm yet to watch the hobbit fan supercut that has non of it, some people say it does fixes a lot of pacing problems
>>
>>198520668
The Sauron stuff was in the books, but the appendix of LoTR. It was Galadriel and her husband alone who destroys dol guldur.
>>
>>198520435
>Was originally suppose to be the main villain; Bolg.

Wrong. He was originally cast as Azog for the flashbacks to Thorin grandfather being killed at the gates of Moria. Then, when they decided to expand it to 3 films, they changed the story to make it so Azog survived and was the real big bad, so they recast him and made him Bolg. Then for whatever reason, be it because they decided to make Azog CGI/mo-cap and wanted Bolg to match, or because Steven's really was/is difficult to work with, they made him a dungeon guard at Dol Guldur.

I do remember his casting in Spartacus: Vengeance and it being initially talked about as if he was cast as a recurring character, not just a one-off guest spot.
>>
lot of scenes look like old videogame cutscenes, I really hate them and most of the filler stuff they added to make the movies longer, every time legolas is on the screen I know I'm going to watch an ebin anime fight
>>
>>198521772
>Fantastic role overshadowed by really, really shitty ones like Alfrid
As shitty as the character of Alfrid was & the amount of screentime he got, i still thought the actor did a great job with him & was actually one of the better actors of the entire cast.
>>
>>198516470
Should have been two movies, tops.
Shouldn't have gone for the retarded "muh fps" gimmick that made shooting a pain in the ass, because most people couldn't even tell any difference in the cinema, much less when watching it at home.
Not sure if the bloom effect cranked up to eleven was because of the fps gimmick or if it was a style choice but they shouldn't have done that either because it makes scenes look so much worse than LOTR ones that it's ridiculous.
Definitely shouldn't have inserted a random doomed love story or inserted Legolas beyond a cute little cameo at the Elf place.
The casting was pretty damn good and the first movie has a great atmosphere. Actually showing the battle at the end instead of having Bilbo bump his head and waking up after it's all done was probably a good decision even though it made the runtime longer and made them do a trilogy with the big final battle instead of aiming for one movie.
>>
>>198520003
There are several, Maple cut is probably the best, trims the Trilogy down to one 4 hour movie
>>
File: dwarf with axe in head.jpg (395 KB, 1000x1483)
395 KB
395 KB JPG
I only realised this motherfucker had been walking around with an axehead stuck in his forehead for years in the last movie where he headbutted a guy and it got stuck. Maybe it's on me for not paying attention but I'd say they also made the mistake of having the dwarves have too much going on to the point where something like an axehead stuck in a guy's forehead can just blend in among all the other character designs.
>>
Orlando Bloom's acting was really shitty in this trilogy
His wooden acting kinda worked in LOTR because it made him feel somewhat otherworldly, but here in The Hobbit it felt like he was trying too hard to be this badass superhuman.
Same kinda goes for Gandalf. As much as i love both Gandalf and Ian McKellen's portrayal of him, it kinda fell flat for me in The Hobbit, his acting felt too forced & over-acted at times.
>inb4 Gandalf sitting in the greenscreen
That's not the reason for it. This greenscreen drama only happened on like his second day of filming. The other 200+ days they had him playing on real sets/locations together with the dwarves & Bilbo.
>>
>>198522454
i mean, they literally mentioned him having an axe in his head in the first movie
>>
>>198516470
The extended versions are the best fantasy movies released after the original lotr trilogy, but they are nowhere near as good as the lotr trilogy.
>>
>>198522490
every single legolas scene is overtuned fanservice because they thought people really thought him surfing the shield in the LOTR movie was badass instead of ridiculous
>>
>>198516608
The first movie is a solid 8/10
The second one is a 7/10 but falls apart towards the ending
The last one is a 5/10 but I liked the extended version of it which is a 6/10
>>
>>198522508
They do? I only watched them in the cinema so maybe I was just distracted by something when it happened. It's weird because I'm usually that faggot who points out little details from scenes that nobody else cares about but somehow that axehead passed me by until the scene in the last movie.
>>
>>198519881
He is only in the extended version for 3 seconds or something lmao
>>
>>198522547
pretty sure bilbo talked about it to the deaf dwarf when the dwarves were all inside bag end
>>
>>198519962
The fps for the action scenes was tuned up to 48 fps I think while the rest of the movie is 30 or 24 or whatever is standard
>>
>>198522527
i watch reaction videos as a guilty pleasure
i've been watching reaction videos to LOTR & the hobbit lately and you'd be surprised how many people lose their shit once they see legolas appearing in the hobbit
normies love that shit
normies are the target audience for these movies
>>
>>198522617
>i watch reaction videos as a guilty pleasure
never speak to me or my son ever again
>>
>>198522647
deal with it nerd
>>
>>198516470
prime exemplar cashgrab and some of the worst CGI ever
>>
>>198522617
>i watch retard content
>you'd be surprised how many retards there are
Of course you're going to see a bunch of retards cheering and clapping, it wouldn't be a reaction video if no one fucking reacted. You retard.
>>
>>198522683
normies love legolas and his stupid stunts, learn to live with it, virgin
>>
>>198516598
Correct.
>>
File: 1694076982781601.webm (2.91 MB, 638x360)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB WEBM
>>198518136
>Martin was totally miscast
>>
>>198522745
>makes all the bts footage unusable
Based ngl
>>
>>198522725
>>198522617
>calling others normies while watching reaction videos
please go back
>>
my favorite part was when the hobbit midget stunt double started humping one of the dwarf's legs per request of peter jackson
hope someone has the video somewhere
>>
>>198522745
>MOM IS GOONNAA FREEEAK OUT!!!!!!
>>
>>198522354
yes the actor portrayed the character well
But the character had no place being in the movie
I would rather have J. K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson in it's place, if we are doing random shit well portrayed
I would fully embrace I'm watching random shit and actually laugh, instead of trying to reconcile the serious drama on the background
>>
>>198522782
i have a reaction video & reddit open right now on my second monitor
hopefully that makes you extra mad, autist
go on, go have your little autism tantrum
>>
>>198516470
There are 4 hours of good movie in there.
>>
>>198522833
>calling others autists while watching reaction videos
>>
>>198522833
I bet you love pizza
>>
>>198516470
hobbit works better in animation, as the book itself was for children
>>
>Scene/Part/Thing that made me the happiest
Hearing Bilbo say "In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit"

>Scene/Part/Thing that disappointed me the most
The way they handled Beorn.
Disappointed they didn't use his book introduction in the theatrical version, but had hopes for the extended edition, but they fucked that up too and made it too short/streamlined and took all the fun out of it.
>>
>>198522864
>n-no u
the reactors i'm watching right now are a black couple, btw
>>
>>198516470
First one is very comfy, second and third are godawful shite
>>
Good weighed down by lots of bad padding.
Watch a fan edit that removes the bad and what is left behind is okay.
The best stuff is in the first two movies. Mostly the first. The unedited third movie is awful.
I kept thinking about that Miyazaki quote about westerners loving heroic mass murder of 'the other' during the bloated action sequences. Like, escaping Goblin Town.
>>
>>198522534
What does the extended version add? Only seen the theatre cut.
>>
>>198518257
the book is much, much better. these movies are a big bloated mess of bullshit.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.