[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Star forge.jpg (14 KB, 200x249)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
Why hasnt Star Wars (in television & film) ever explored a greater threat than the Empire? Why cant there be a movie or a show where the bad guy is some galaxy-level threat that would push the empire/rebel feud to the side? I'm so tired of morally gray, or right wing vs left wing. Why cant star wars introduce a truly evil villain that threatens everything, not just the personal politics of some random people, or the dying coven of jedi nobody in day-to-day life even really cares about?
I would like to see what happens when everyone has to put down their petty squabbles to face something truly threatening to everybody's way of life, and I think that something like that might be just what disney needs to reinvigorate this franchise.
>>
Because its a setting with stories meant for children and manchildren. All the average person cares about are lightsaber fights and force fuckery with basic as fuck plots dude.
>>
File: darth-sion.jpg (52 KB, 860x484)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>198517713
But it doesnt have to be this way. Star wars video games even from the very beginning have delved into deeper stuff. Shadows of the Empire was an n64 game but even back then it was introducing weird EU shit like prince xizor. KOTOR should've expanded the possibilities for tv and film so much and disney kind of just cast all of that aside just to rehash the same stuff over and over again
>>
>>198517682
They are afraid to take the risk.
>>
There's a bunch of droid rebellions in lore.
>>
>>198517927
Books? I feel like I should start reading since they seem to not be willing to pit any of this on the screen. But the geth in Mass Effect is kinda what made me think of this. Some kind of threat that cant be reasoned with like droids would be cool to see. No arbitrary jedi morals getting the way, and you'd get to see how the empire copes with threats to the economy beyond just some rabble rousers.
>>
>>198518075
Morality is foundational to Star Wars. The plot does not make sense without it.
>>
>>198517682
>it. Has. To. Be. Bigger. BIGGER! BIIIIIGGEEEEEEEEERR!!!!!!!
>>
>>198518155
So what do you like about the new star wars material?

>>198518132
You could still have morality. There would be the dramas of how people cope with a real existential threat, the dilemma of whether to keep fighting your traditional enemies or join in a tenuous alliance to fight off a common threat, and then there will always be jedi who dont want to fight at all, or sith that want to twist the conflict to their benefit. All of the normal morality dramas could take place, but a new enemy could give the whole thing another dimension
>>
>>198517682
I mean this is precisely what they did in the books pre Disney right? The vong are a galaxy ending threat and the new Republic and imperial remnants have to come together to defeat them, and isn't it eventually revealed that the empire was doing everything he did not just out of evil lust for power but to try and prepare the galaxy for their arrival to be able to defeat them?

Anyway, not saying it was perfect but it was pretty cool. And Disney was like nah fuck that bro and threw it all out the window for the boring shit we got instead.
>>
>>198518366
I have heard about the vong and I think that's cool. Surely disney will have to start adapting this EU stuff eventually, right? Star wars is a franchise you have to milk forever so not tapping into the deep wells of lore would be a huge mistake. Even disney cant be that dense.
Is there a future where disney starts adapting the books or do we think that's just never gonna happen?
>>
>>198518504
The Vong are a gay warhammer ripoff. Make it hetero
>>
The Vong were a great concept poorly executed, and also very rooted in the 2000's edgy aesthetics. I don't think it would be well received today, even though it would still be better than the crap Yidsney is releasing now.
>>
>>198517682
You think Star Wars is morally grey?
>>
>>198517682
because it does nothing but create threat creeps, each one becoming increasingly meaningless in the long run
>>
>>198518588
I don't care about niche books or vidya being morally grey, that's what makes Kotor 2 an amazing game. The films, in the other hand, should stay close to the hero's journey and classic storytelling. That's in the very core of Star Wars, and something Yidsney and its legions of postmodernist faggots writers and directors failed to understand.
>>
>>198518588
I honestly dont know what it wants to be. Some of it is definitely supposed to be morally gray vut some is straight red vs. blue good and evil. On the one hand, it is very good vs. evil cut an dry. On the other hand, it wants you to think all sith are able to be saved. The precedent was set with darth vader in return of the jedi, that dark side jedi are not beyond redemption. But then you take all the material that is not jedi-adjacent and it IS morally gray. Han and Lando, Boba Fett (all of this falls in the honorable scoundrel trope). Them there are those aliens that make the clones, and there are normal people all across the galaxy that are just living their lives and arent really on the side of the rebellion or the empire. Idk, it just seems like this whole empire vs rebellion thing might be played out and the franchise could use a different angle.
>>
File: z682jf72sdzx.jpg (483 KB, 1521x2048)
483 KB
483 KB JPG
I'd rather be important than powerful.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.