[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1708192670797659.jpg (39 KB, 640x540)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
what the fuck was his problem
>>
>>198531612
he was corrupted by the land or something, it was more obvious in the book
>>
If you brought someone back but kept them locked up so they couldn't kill you, wouldn't that be fine
>>
>>198531767
they would be useless so no
>>
>>198531612
All stephen king stories have massive plot holes where characters do nonsensical things for le spooky horror story. You basically have to turn your brain off, or else be an adolescent or woman, for his stories to "work".
>that poor little girl loves that cat, so I'm sure bringing it back to life as a feral zombie will be a good thing
>>
>>198532544
See
>>198531656
>>
>>198532544
People do not operate by reason and logic 24/7
>>
File: 1651014627318.webm (2.22 MB, 600x335)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB WEBM
>>198531612
>>
Being an old man half-assedly warning younger folk away from le spooky places would be a pretty cozy lifestyle ngl

He knew what he was doing
>>
>>198532544
This. I talked to a guy yesterday whose wife had just died, and he was acting absolutely retarded. Kept sniffing and crying, couldn't remember simple details. Just absolutely a mess. I remember thinking "what an unrealistic character".
>>
>>198532590
>t. adolescent or woman
>>198532650
>my new neighbor's cat got run over
>this traumatizes me like my wife just died, so I better show him how to use a cursed indian burial ground so the cat can return as an undead monster that will have to be destroyed
>>
I DON'T WANT TO BE BURIED
TO A PET SEMETARY
>>
>>198532640
He's the sort of old man I wanna be when I grow up.
>>
>Sometimes, dead is better. That's why I married a Dracula woman.
>>
>>198532926
Yeah because it's a cat, so he believed it was no big deal. He couldn't have the knowledge of what was going to happen.
>>
>>198532926
I think in the book he only does it because he feels sorry for the kid. And, in theory, a small animal such as a cat is seen as no threat, plus what the other anon said about the land having had corrupted him subtly, it's a recipe for retardation. The wendigo gets what it wants, always.

>>198533290
Also this, dude was warned that whatever comes up from that dirt isn't what went in.
>>
>>198532544
It makes sense as some unconscious impulse of the white man to rape the native ancestral land. Told him of its magical powers. Do not touch. Touch it he does.
>>
>>198533457
This from Stephen King's alt-left mindset desu
>>
>>198531612
This >>198531656. It was hinted at in the movie as well but they made the trucker a distracted fat ass when the book explicitly states he didn't know why he was going so fast. The wendigo possesses people.
>>
>>198533290
how many cats did you resurrected today using your necromancer magical cemetery
>>
>>198531612
>Sometimes... Not bringing dead people back as violent monsters is better.
>>
>>198533554
>wendigo
not real
meds
>>
File: 1695556364318561.jpg (77 KB, 1008x839)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>198531612
>Book makes it clear that his dog was different but not evil, more like a walking corpse
>Film has it come back as a crazed evil dog
That was the stupidest change
>>
>>198532926
You are too stupid to continue living, please consider an alternative
>>
>>198533290
>He couldn't have the knowledge of what was going to happen.
except that after they bring the cat back and it acts weird he recounts how the same thing with his dog when he buried it there.
>>
>>198532544
he didnt unironically believe it would come back. he finds a quaint pet semetary near his place and his cat dies so he figures may as well bury it out there for the novelty of it
>>
Ayup.
>>
>>198533816
>he finds a quaint pet semetary near his place and his cat dies so he figures may as well bury it out there for the novelty
>t didn't even watch the movie or was too stoned/retarded to pay attention
>>
File: IMG_6718.png (28 KB, 354x286)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>198533043
I DON’T WANT TO LIVE MY LIFE AGAIN
>>
>>198533783
I'm not talking about the cat, I'm talking about the death of the kid which he had no way of foreseeing.
>>
>>198531767
So need a cute gf. This is the way if youre a lonely guy with a Miqmaq Burial Ground nearby. Canadians and Mainers are lucky
>>
>>198532628
If I was there by that highway, it would've gone down differently.
>>
>>198533586
real in the context of the book and movie, fuckwad
>>
>>198533586
It's in the book and referenced in the movie, retard.
>>
File: laughed.jpg (66 KB, 500x314)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>198532628
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>inhales
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
File: 1280.png (129 KB, 1200x720)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
His actions aren't as unrealistic as you would think. You wouldn't really understand unless you were also exposed to horrible forbidden knowledge at some point, but I can see the stress of being the only one to know it cracking a person and making them share that information with someone else so they're not alone anymore, even if its seriously unwise to do so.
>>
Anyone have the webm of the kid falling down after he’s given the injection? It looks so fucking real like he the child actor hit his head hard. I was curious how they filmed that
>>
>>198532628
Rich Evans got a CDL?
>>
usually don't read King but I thought Salem's Lot was pretty good
>that part where 80% of the town is just straight up dead
>>
>>198532628
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZtVleNyw9g
just reminded me of this reaction video where this guy and his wife who do horror movie reactions, got so triggered by this scene she was furious the whole rest of the movie and just sat there mad she had the watch it the whole time. a real woman moment, i dont know how these cucked men can put up with them, being married seems like hell with women and their faggy emotions
>>
>>198535001
I think that's the only one of Cocaine King era that I still haven't read for some reason. Always liked the short stories and anthologies more.
>>
>>198534950
Aw poor baby can't handle a little esoteric forbidden knowledge boo hoo

Grow up, I'm perfectly fine comprehending the horrors
>>
>>198535052
One of the main characters comes back for the Dark Tower books.
>>
>>198533816
That's not what happens. The mother has a death phobia, due to dealing with her sister slowly losing her sanity while dying from a wasting disease, and the daughter is super attached to the cat. Jed shows them the cemetery when this is expressed to him (it's hinted in the book he's possessed by the wendigo but at that point in the story it could just be familiarizing the outsider family with where their new community). The father is estranged from his wife's family (hence the fight at the funeral later) so he stays home while the wife and kids go visit her parents. During this time the daughter's cat gets hit by a car so Jed shows the father the other cemetery; in the book it's later made clear that he was possessed by the wendigo, which took advantage of Jed's connection to the family and probably killed the cat in the first place (i.e. the cat is in good physical condition and not near the road). When Gage dies the husband is possessed and brings brings the kid there (it's hinted that the wendigo can't fully make the person do what it wants and they have to be willing, to an extent, to use the burial ground--this is emphasized by them going over the deadfall to reach the burial ground, they have to want to do it and if they hesitate they fall backwards). Also, the dead guy who appears to the father/daughter (it's hinted they have a touch of the shinning) is working against the interests of the wendigo.
>>
>>198535335
>(it's hinted in the book he's possessed by the wendigo
>in the book it's later made clear that he was possessed by the wendigo
I don't remember this bit at all.

>When Gage dies the husband is possessed and brings brings the kid there (it's hinted that the wendigo can't fully make the person do what it wants
Neither any of this. Where do you get the posession stuff from?

The reason he puts Gage up there, is not because he's been posessed, but because he knows it worked with the cat, and he just lost his child. So obviously he's inclined to use the magical burial ground to bring his son back to life.

>(it's hinted they have a touch of the shinning)
Dude are you just making up your own canon?

>>>198535001
I hated this one. Pet Sematary wasn't actually scary at all but Salem's Lot, which often gets called his scariest work was almost comically trashy.

Its such a by-the-book classic Vampire story with all the cliche scenes like a priest having a stand off with the Vampire, reciting the bible and the Vampire fleeing in terror, that it felt like it was 100years older than it actually was.

Not to mention the same issue that all of King's books I read have: he always fumbles at the end when all his books turn into cliche hollywood schlock. In Pet Sematary the little kid being awaken again, now the wendigo, is cursing like a fucking 16yo edgelord on /v/.
In Needful Things you get the worst ending ever with "ABRACADABRA YOU FIERY FUCK!".
IT has the ginger turn into a 40s "talk like a black guy" parody to escape IT(and yes, I get the point of not being scared of IT, but there's a million less unintentionally hilarious and cringy ways to do it), and Salem's Lot isn't any better.

He's also the worst at keeping tension up. In Pet Sematary there's an end of chapter page in which he builds up a lot of tension by citing possible implications of what the father just did. Literally the first sentence of the next chapter: "but none of that happened" Bravo...
>>
>>198535710
>I don't remember this bit at all
There are multiple scenes where Jed reflects on why he showed him the cemetery (he's confused). Also, Jed turns into an evil Indian figure while he's leading him there (the dad also talks about how Jed looks different a few times when they discuss the cemetery). Also, the motif of "ignore the sounds you hear...it's just loons echoing" is stated a few times.
>Where do you get the posession stuff from?
The truck driver saying he doesn't know why he had "the urge to put the pedal to the metal." What I wrote above about Jed. Also, the epilogue at the end where the dad is seen as the wendigo by his friend while carrying the wife's body over the deadfall. The fact they're being manipulated is constantly hinted at to the reader throughout the book.
>The reason he puts Gage up there, is not because he's been posessed, but because he knows it worked with the cat
The wendigo used the cat to show him the cemetery. In the book there are several refrains where Jeb questions why he showed him the cemetery at all (he doesnt know because he's not acting by his own power).
>and he just lost his child. So obviously he's inclined
The theme is grief and the fucked up things it can make people do. The wendigo wants the family (part of the horror is what you yourself bring to the table regarding it's motivations...all you really know is that it's evil). The father continuously questions why he's burying Gage there, even though the cat came back fucked up, and rationalizes "he hasn't been dead that long" (even though his body already smells and he has embalming fluid leaking out of him--he notes that he learned it's hard to know how much to put in a kid when he worked as an undertaker's assistant--and there's already mould on the body).
>your own canon?
The daughter is psychic and has dreams about what's going to happen to the family. First the cat, then her father resurrecting Gage, then Gage stabbing the mother.
>>
>>198535710
Also, as far as possession and the cat goes it's stated that the cat had no reason to cross the road and had been lethargic after getting neutered. It's also stated that the cat didn't seem like it had been hit by a car (part of the dad rationalizing why it came back to life). The wendigo probably killed the cat itself.
>>
>>198536453
>>198536560
I just remember that the character is Judd Crandall and not Jed/Jeb. I don't remember the names of the other characters though (the sister's name is Zelda I think). The weakest part of the book is characterizations outside of Judd (probably because King had trouble balancing the not acting of their own rational volition stuff and held back on the horror element of what happens happening to a well formed family unit).
>>
>>198535039
Kek what a bitch. She was so mad at him for wanting to continue watching it.
>>
It’s been a while since I watched or read the book, but doesn’t Jed tell him about the Pet Semetary so he can revive his dead cat for his son?
>>
>>198537317
It's for the daughter and he doesn't know why he gave away the secret. He says that it "used" him. The wendigo wants the family.
>>
>>198531612
Wait, is that... Clancy Brown???
>>
>>198537540
No, that’s the sequel
>>
So far from what I'm reading in this thread is A WENDIGO DID EVERYTHING
>>
>>198535039
Based woman looking out for small children
>>
>>198531612
>semetary
kys
>>
>>198532544
this. on top of that king doesn't even manage to be spooky or anything. his shit is always just retarded. that there are people holding him in high regard is absolutely beyond me.
>>
>>198537960
>>198537960
>“Later on, not even the Micmacs themselves would come here. One of them claimed he saw a Wendigo here and that the ground had gone sour."
It's true. I'm not sure if it's introduced the same way in the movie but they characterize the Wendigo as an excuse people use for doing terrible things (i.e. resorting to cannibalism). In the story it's what possesses Judd and Louis.
>The Micmacs told Stanny B.’s grandda about the burying ground which they didn’t use anymore because the Wendigo had soured the ground, and about Little God Swamp, and the steps, and all the rest. “The Wendigo story, now, that was something you could hear in those days all over the north country. It was a story they had to have, the same way I guess we have to have some of our Christian stories. Norma would damn me for a profaner if she heard me say that, but Louis, it’s true. Sometimes, if the winter was long and hard and the food was short, there were north country Indians who would finally get down to the bad place where it was starve or. . . or do something else.”
Those excerpts should spell it out for you. It's the Wendigo taking advantage of different aspects of the characters in order to get them to do what it wants.
>>
>>198538051
Spell Cuck
>>
>>198538051
Isn't that what it's called in the book/movie?
>>
File: 1682534966612442.png (41 KB, 400x416)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
>>198532628
>tfw the kid owed you £10
>>
>>198538381
He lived in America and didn't use that currency
>>
>>198532628
Holy FUARK! The baby TANKED that?
>>
>>198535710
>>198537960
Here are excerpts from the book that make it pretty clear:
>Jud got up. “I wasn’t exaggerating when I said I might have killed your boy, Louis, or had a hand in it. The Micmacs knew that place, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they made it what it was. The Micmacs weren’t always here. They came maybe from Canada, maybe from Russia, maybe from Asia way back in the beginning. They stayed here in Maine for a thousand years, or maybe it was two thousand—it’s hard to tell, because they did not leave their mark deep on the land. And now they are gone again. . . same way we’ll be gone, someday, although I guess our mark will go deeper, for better or worse. But the place will stay no matter who’s here, Louis. It isn’t as though someone owned it and could take its secret when they moved on. It’s an evil, curdled place, and I had no business taking you up there to bury that cat. I know that now. It has a power you’ll beware of if you know what’s good for your family and what’s good for you. I wasn’t strong enough to fight it. You saved Norma’s life, and I wanted to do something for you, and that place turned my good wish to its own evil purpose. It has a power. . . and I think that power goes through phases, same as the moon. It’s been full of power before, and I’m ascared it’s coming around to full again. I’m ascared it used me to get at you through your son. Do you see, Louis, what I’m getting at?” His eyes pleaded with Louis.
>“You’re saying the place knew Gage was going to die, I think,” Louis said.
>“No, I am saying the place might have made Gage die because I introduced you to the power in the place. I am saying I may have murdered your son with good intentions, Louis.”
Jud still doesn't understand that he was possessed. The Wendigo used his good intentions toward the family in order to influence him to show Louis the burial ground.
>>
>>198538446
always with the excuses. never paying up cash.
>>
>>198538311
it's misspelled in the book's title and in the book on one sign by retarded children (lol so quirky!). that doesn't mean that you have to constantly misspell the location (not the book's title) as well like a retarded child. Stephen king is also a retard, his work is absolute trash and so are gis fans.(both retarded and trash).
>>
>>198531612
He was the angel of death while the ghost was the angel of life...watch the directors com.
>>
>>198534958
It was reversed.
>>
>>198532544
Book cat is not a malevolent zombie monster, so it kinda works there
>>
>>198538470
Jesus, king writes like an absolute retard
>>
>>198538638
>lol so quirky!
You're retarded. It's the juxtaposition of childhood innocence with a place of death, moron. You're not edgy, just retarded.
>>
>>198538700
It's decent dialogue for genre fiction. I'm not a big fan of his but he does some stuff well. Also, Pet Semetery is one of his few books I've read that don't have weird pedo shit thrown in out of nowhere (The Shinning, 'Salem's Lot, It, Revival...)
>>
>>198538705
>You're retarded. It's the juxtaposition of childhood innocence with a place of death, moron. You're not edgy, just retarded.
>muh king is totally deep, bro!!! and you're a retard, not even edgy!
embarrassing, redditor. go back where you came from.
>>
>>198531612
The pet cemetary isn't what brings them back it's just where families buried their hordes of road kill from the coked up truckers trying out for f zero 20 feet from their front door. The real asshole thing he does is never telling them to build a fence
>>
File: jo.jpg (166 KB, 1080x901)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>>198538829
>Go back to REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Lol, retard. Imagine getting filtered by someone as easy to read as Stephen King.
>>
>>198538151
Most people don't finish books and he's legitimately very good at buildup and exposition. You can enjoy reading 100 pages of a guy wandering around a store listing brand names and not even realize nothing has happened yet.
>>
>>198538961
The people complaining about King ITT don't even read.
>>
>>198532544
Life is full of characters who nonsensical things. I wouldn’t consider this attribute to be a plot hole in a story.

King got run over and almost killed by a guy fighting his Rottweiler for a steak in his van. That sounds almost too ridiculous for real life but there you go.
>>
>>198531656

Something else to remember is that in the book his dog Spot comes back and while dumber is in no way dangerous. In the movie zombie Spot is snarling and mangled making Jed's actions real fucking confusing. Wait, so every single thing that ever got buried up here went horribly?

>>198533043
>>198533876

The only part of the remake I liked was the cover of the Ramones song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr5kRk0Ba5I

Pet Semetery Bloodlines fucking sucked. Couple awful jumpscares, some clumsy memberberries, couple retcons that make everything dumber and then does the bad prequel shit of answering questions best left unanswered like "who built the deadfall."

Oh, it was this guy. This guy did it. Amazing.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.