[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: thufir.jpg (68 KB, 780x438)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
*disappears from your sequel*
>>
>>198567507
Villenvue wasn't interested in actually communicating the vast detailed universe of Dune, only stripping the bare bones of the story out and cladding it in broad appeal action and dreary grey "realism".
Mentats and the Butlerian Jihad weren't nessecary to the main plot, so he ditched them.
So no Thufir Hawat, mentat master of assassins poisioning the Harkonnen house from within.
Hell, we didn't even get any mention of Paul being a mentat, which was absolutely core to his character.

These new movies were very bad adaptations of the books, but what did people really expect?
>>
>>198567507
is he a magical negro?
>>
99% of people didn't even notice
>>
>>198567507
>next time baby

Did he ask for too much money or something?
>>
>>198567779
Magical mutt
>>
>>198567743
It's a real shame we didn't get more info about the lore, how space travel works etc. I'm hoping messiah will show some of that
>>
>>198567507
>The wikipedia plot summary fags on here pretending to be mad about this
Thufir didn't affect the plot that much in the books either and is a waste of screentime for a movie, this isn’t a television show you stupid nigger. He doesn't correctly predict the Sardaukar/Harkonnen assault, he doesn't correctly predict the traitor, he doesn't manage to kill Feyd-Rautha, and he doesn't manage to create a rift between Feyd and the Baron. His final act is refusing to kill Paul. If he just hadn't turned up in the books I don't think the plot would have changed.
>>
>>198567507
They filmed scenes with him which were all cut - Denis says that any cut scenes will never be shown in any capacity in the future.
>>
>>198567801
I literally didn’t until I saw this thread
>>
>>198567996
>He doesn't correctly predict the Sardaukar/Harkonnen assault
I read the book recently and they very much do predict that the Harkonnen will attack with disguised Sardukar.
The main reason the Atreides fall is they are tricked into thinking Jessica might be the traitor and they all think a Suk doctor could not possibly act against their conditioning.

I don't think either of those things were mentioned in the new films (of course)
>>
File: ss8a9wlo2zrc1.jpg (1.42 MB, 3000x4000)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
*reappears in your licensed board game*
>>
I'm not mad that Thufir isn't in the movie. I'm pissed by how little Vladimir is in it.

No scene where he thwarts his protege's assassination attempt.
He doesn't admit to using Rauhban the Retard to make Arrakis more welcoming to his chosen heir.
There's no male concubine made to look like Paul for him to rape/kill.
Alia doesn't exist so she can't poison him and make him suffer.

He's barely in the movie and it sucks. Does he even say more than two sentences to the Emperor?
>>
>>198567996
There's several omissions I understand, but he chose to leave in the Margot Fenring subplot which also goes nowhere in the book. I think the coomer in Denny just had to include the BG breeding no matter what
>>
>>198568175
The characterisation of the Harkonnens in the new movies is an absolute fucking joke.
They are no better than saturday morning cartoon villains.
Total cardboard cutouts, every one. Really ruined the film quite considerably
>>
Thufir has the best scene in the whole series. Him refusing to betray Paul at the end of Dune is the most HELLS YEAH shit i've ever read
>>
>>198567779
He's a mentat. A person who has been bred and trained since birth to be a super computer and they are more or less autistic. Thufir was rare because he was artistic, gay and Leto cared for him. Mentats are usually like furniture without desires like sex or respect. Paul is trained as a mentat.
>>
>>198568248
Why is it that every adaption of Dune always sticks the first third/half pretty well but then drop the ball with the second half & ending?

The end of "Part 2" fails because it pivots around characters that weren't even present in the first movie, or barely present in the second, and characters that should have been there weren't.
Dunno how Villenvue thought making the novel into two movies instead of the obvious three (the novel is split into three books!) would work.
But all the zoomers seem to think part 2 is the better film. smdh my head....
>>
>>198567507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yav7wojk-5Q

The movies fail to adapt the books in a miriad of ways.
>>
He became a war correspondent, shot and died.
>>
>>198568636
>the novel is split into three books!
No it isn’t. You sound like an enormous retard to want book one in three movies kek kys
>>
File: scrad.png (168 KB, 320x240)
168 KB
168 KB PNG
What are some other cases of characters just vanishing from the movie?
My favorite is in MIB 2, the character Scrad vanishes from the movie after they break in while K is trying to get his memories back with Jeeb's machine

He just vanishes, he doesn't die, doesn't get capture, doesn't flee. He just doesn't show in the movie anymore
>>
>>198569072
>No it isn’t.
You haven't read the book at all, I take it?
this is the contents page from my copy:

DUNE BY FRANK HERBERT

CONTENTS
Map
Cartographic Notes
Book I DUNE
Book II MUAD'DIB
Book III THE PROPHET
Appendix I The Ecology Of Dune
Appendix II The Religion of Dune
Appendix III Report on Bene Gesserit Motives and Purposes
Appendix IV The Almanak en-Ashraf (Selected Excerpts of the Noble houses) Terminology of the Imperium

Get the fuck out of here, poser.
>>
>>198567743
This. The first novel was super dense in not too many pages, they made a trilogy of THE HOBBIT - they could have made a trilogy of this. Should have been a trilogy of films covering the first novel, triumphant ending - no Messiah because Herbert wrote it way later and it was not intended to be followed.

I'm fine with them dropping some plot threads, the Thufir stuff went nowhere as >>198567996 mentions. But it would have been important to show more things like Harkonnens torturing Yueh's wife to death and the spy stuff maybe. Introduce Feyd earlier, show the guild and do the proper worldbuilding and exposition but with efficient and exciting scenes befitting a film - basically if LOTR could do it, Dune could, but the studio was not confident in this and didn't film back to back.

They want to do a cinematic universe with extended universe shows in the style of MCU or Game of Thrones which is a retarded mistake, especially set thousands of years before the events of the book with a couple of old hags. Another example of them hollowing out the living body of a male franchise to turn into a DEI female empowerment zogged suit.
>>
>>198567507
I just assumed he died in the attack. I don't even remember what was his last scene.
>>
>>198567507
The only scene I remember this guy in was when they get on the dragonfly helicopter and that's it. Why should I give a shit some guy from one scene wasn't in the sequel?
>>
>>198567743
>These new movies were very bad adaptations of the books, but what did people really expect?
Yes, but Zendaya, bro, Zendaya.
>>
File: dune wojack.jpg (181 KB, 680x788)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>When informed of his potential and given his options, Thufir chose to continue his training and was sent to an eminent school for Mentats on Ix. There, Thufir soon made two significant attachments. The first was to Kolinar, whose wit and charm immediately attracted Thufir; the two young men quickly became inseparable friends. The second was to the young woman Anyya with whom Thufir fell, for the first and last time in his life, in love. The daughter of a Bene Gesserit and an official of the Imperial court, the highly intelligent Anyya rivaled Thufir in scholastic accomplishments and returned his affection. By all accounts they shared for years a happy and fulfilling relationship.
>The reports are notably sketchy, however, on the end of their affair. We do know that Anyya left Ix suddenly with Kolinar and is never referred to again in any of the Hawat papers. Rouse, the Mentat for House Dioscuri and Thufir's lifelong friend, reports (in his book, The Education of a Mentat) Thufir's moroseness following Anyya's departure, his adamant refusal to speak of her, and a cryptic remark Thufir made about this time, "The female of the species is without doubt incapable of fidelity." Seemingly, it was Camelot come again, but with a difference: rather than rising above his affliction to an Arthurian strength that could infuse his soul with iron, Thufir allowed his pain to debase his love for Anyya into a corrosive hate and to generate a deep, and lifelong, mistrust of all women, especially those connected with the Bene Gesserit. This anathema undoubtedly accounts for the fact that Thufir never again became seriously involved with a woman.
/ourmentat/
>>
>>198567507
what movie?
>>
>>198569433
She's very much in the 'negatives' column when judging the new movies, "bro".
>>
>>198567743
is the word 'mentat' even mentioned once in either movie?
>>
>>198568101

That bg was a slog to play
>>
File: dune virg.jpg (19 KB, 601x351)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>198567507
>tubby octoroon is a master assassin
ok
>>
>>198569281
So because the book was originally published as a serial in a magazine and then published as a book it should be three movies? Again, a brainlet idea from 1-1 muh adaptation fags
>>
>>198567743
I want kino not bookfag autism. The book sucked btw.
>>
>>198567743
He kind of forgot about the feedback loops of the spice cycle as well.
>>
File: 1570638244229.png (455 KB, 1046x752)
455 KB
455 KB PNG
How do they even build spaceships if they dont have computers. How do they store blueprints for all their technology. How do they control assembly lines. Interstellar empire functioning without computers is fucking retarded
>>
>>198567996
A lot of strawman to argue that constant slow-motion walks are plot details going somewhere.
>>
>>198567996
This is correct. More screen time was necessary for zendayas scowling, waterfat face
>>
File: denny.jpg (25 KB, 400x300)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
This guy is a fucking retard
>>
>>198568013
>Denis says that any cut scenes will never be shown in any capacity in the future.

Dishonest and cowardly.
>>
>>198568229
>Vlad with his babby Jessica
Did they give the slightest thought about how the BG get him to part with her? Did they just use Voice on him because that's straight up magic mind control in duncs portrayal of it
>>
>>198568229
But that is what they are
>>
File: dune memri knife.jpg (48 KB, 647x429)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>198568252
>Thufir was... gay
Is this some Brian Herbert shit? wtf
>>
>>198569785
Is it that hard to grasp retard? Why do you think the baron had the chance to fuck a bene gesserit to begin with?
>>
>>198569899
Why the fuck would the BG leave a very important child with her utterly degenerate father? They get preggo and leave the planet, Vladimir would never know he has a daughter
>>
>>198569135
the last Hobbit movie with that Alfred retard. he takes up a ton of screentime arguing with the main characters and then disappears
>>
>>198570035
They didn’t leave the child with him. He leans over like he is just being shown it for a second. A group of BG are probably just visiting Giedi Prime talking politics. He did them a political favor anyways with the child. It’s not that deep
>>
No appearence of a Space Guild Navigator (I don't think it missed it desu)
>>
>>198568252
>Paul is trained as a mentat.
I've always been a bit confused about this in the book. It always seems like Paul just happened to be trained as a mentat and nobody planned it. I'm pretty sure the conversation in the book is something like;
>Paul: I was trained as almost like a mentat
>Leto: huh yeah I guess you were. do you like it? want to keep doing it or whatever lol
>Paul: sure
I don't know if there's some significance to it I missed like it's the reason he's the Kwisatz Haderach instead of the next generation as the BG predicted because of the mentat abilities helped him pick up on his ancestral memories and allowed him to survive the water of life
>>
>>198570143
What a load of bullshit. We're shown their M.O. with the seduction of Feyd and its just fuck then leave with the man being none the wiser. They are not taking a child two generations from their end goal back to Geidi Prime for no good reason
>>
>>198569464
and which of frank herbert's books was this mentioned in?
>>
File: THE DUNE ENCYCLOPEDIA.jpg (90 KB, 427x640)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>198570380
in every respect except actuality, it is canon
>>
>>198570346
Yeah you right because the Baron might rape or kill the baby and make enemies with the bene gessrit and emperor. good point
>>
>>198570436
I've always been confused on this book
did frank actually read or contribute to it at all or was it just whatever this guy felt like making up?
>>
>>198570503
Its rumored he wrote a few articles but mainly he was flattered by it, liked most of it and disliked some of it. He said he wasn't bound by anything in it so its not canon just cool fan faction
>>
>>198568807
>miriad
*myriad
>>
>>198570689
Potato tomato
>>
Cry all you want, bookfags. No one cared about your story before the movies.
>>
>>198567507
I always figured that he was just KIA during the Harkonnen invasion.
>>
>>198567507
Check the files

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.